Van Halen/Eruption

frankb

You bet your ass, baby. We're here to do it to you one time tonight tonight tonight's the night tonight's the night to do it Nashville Tennessee I do believe it's fine fine so fine double time all mind little bit of rock 'n' roll little bit here little bit there little bit tomorrow night and tonight out there. We're gonna to do it to it. We got to do it to it. We got to have it every night we got to do it to it do it. The fog horn of the people can you hear me talkin' at ya? (Woooo). I think I know what you like, babe. I say I think, I think I say. I know there ain't nobody out there came to be mellow tonight now did ya? I say. I say there ain't. I say there ain't nobody. I say there ain't nobody tonight out there that even wants to be a little bit mellow now is there. Anybody wants to get mellow you can turn around and get the fuck outta here all right. Do you hear me?

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Ted was tha fuggin' man when it came to crankin' it up live.

Saw him in Jacksonville and in Orlando in the '77-'78 time period.

Here's my dirty little shameful secret...

In the summer of '78, on a weekend night with a friend, and we each had a date.

Riding around in the car, trying to decide what to do.

The choices:

a local kegger (like hundreds of others)

1 hour drive to Tampa to see Journey with opening act Van Halen.

The first album had literally been out for just weeks.

We went to the kegger.

ist2_1242008-ashamed-in-corner.jpg

LOL great post. We decided to go to the show instead. It was a triple bill at the Palace Theater in Albany, New York. Van Halen opened, Ronnie Montrose was second, and Journey headlined.

I think the first VH album was out for roughly a month. Van Halen was the best band on that stage that night too. Best by far.

Regards;

Love 'em or hate 'em Eruption was pivotal point in how guitar is played. Not many artists can make that claim. I'm not a huge fan, not a fan at all really but EVH was a game changer. He's pretty much the only post Hendrix guitarist to take it to another level.

Love 'em or hate 'em Eruption was pivotal point in how guitar is played. Not many artists can make that claim. I'm not a huge fan, not a fan at all really but EVH was a game changer. He's pretty much the only post Hendrix guitarist to take it to another level.

Or to get recognition on an major level. Uli Jon Roth was doing amazing things on Scorpions albums before Ed came around, but it never reached the mainstream. I agree Eruption was pivotal, because it got heard. But he wasn't the only guy breaking down barriers. He's just the one who did it in the spotlight. In my experience, Eddie is the least quoted among modern "shred" guitarists. He certainly threw a ripe log on the fire. So yeah, I guess he gets the bronze statue, but I think Rhoads made a bigger difference. In the sense that anyone doing Eddie stuff is just that: Doing Eddie stuff. Uli Roth, Randy Rhoads.. these guys brought composition on rock guitar to another level. Randy got his due with Ozzy, but I think Uli went largely ignored. Give Scorpions In Trance a listen. Uli was the bridge between Hendrix/Blackmore and Yngwie/Marty Friedman/Jason Becker, etc.

LOL great post. We decided to go to the show instead. It was a triple bill at the Palace Theater in Albany, New York. Van Halen opened, Ronnie Montrose was second, and Journey headlined.

I think the first VH album was out for roughly a month. Van Halen was the best band on that stage that night too. Best by far.

Regards;

holy crap, you're right! I totally forgot.

It definitely WAS Ronnie Montrose on the bill as well.

All the greater is my shame! lulz

I hear where you're coming from with the Uli and Randy comparisons and I think they had a huge impact. As far as EVH goes I don't think it was his compositional skills that made the difference, the impact was entirely centered around technique. Now we all now there were examples of people tapping prior to EVH but certainly not on the scale he did nor with as much creativity based around that one particular technique. Though I think some of what EVH did precedes the shred guitarists I don't think that was ever his bag. Shred has everything to do with instrumental guitar compositions and EVH was all about ensemble playing and song structures meant for vocals. It was the stylistic shift that came from EVH's playing that set him apart.

But I don't think EVH is as important a pivot as others. This will sound cliche but I think Clapton's tone and attack on the Mayall album and Hendrix's obvious comtributions were far more influential. Others have certainly taken playing further via refining the techniques and innovations others made but I thnk a lot of that can be chalked up to natural progress. Even though EVH's style of play became kind of gimmicky I don't think there is any clear cut evidence when it can be said some did what he eventually did before him.

I was just watching the eruption live video (
) and I really did not like it at all. I don't know whether its the cheesy outfit (he looks like he should be on American Gladiators) or just his on stage present, it wasn't impressive. He's a talented guitarist but the song is shallow, its like hes trying to show off how fast he can play his guitar, as opposed to a song I listened to before that, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, where you can feel the music. I don't know just something I noticed.

I am in the camp that likes it, yes it might seem cheesy now but whenever I hear it i still get the same feeling of wow it does move me, its exciting, i still get moved by the first half of Shine on too, untill the sax starts up, then that really is cream cheese lol.

EVH is such an important guitar player in the history of electric guitar, doesn't matter if you like his stuff or not, he did change the way we play the instument like hendrix too, the americans have given us some mind blowing musicians.

Archived