Jimmy Page and the future

Has Page stayed away from getting out there with a new band, which may mean playing small halls, due to very low ticket sales in America during the Coverdale project back in the early 90's? I am wondering because since then it seems he has chosen not to take risks and/or put himself out there. Playing with the Black Crows was interesting, but nothing new came of it, and it came to an abrupt halt with a bad back as the reason. Was Page greatly affected and embarrassed by the Page/Coverdale American tour flop? It was quickly put to rest and forgotton when Plant came and saved the day for him. Interesting timing I thought. It just seems Page doesn't want to diminish himself or the Zeppelin flag by playing small halls with other non-Zeppelin musicians. Is he preserving history or does his ego not allow this? Is it Zeppelin or nothing at this point? Any insight as to what he will do next, if anything? I just hope we get another chance to see him before its too late.

I don't get the feeling the Coverdale project is why he's not playing now. I don't think any of us really know why he's not making new music - we could speculate forever but short of Jimmy telling us, we'll never know. Would be really great to see him back on the stage again, that's for sure :)

I don't think he is really done with music. A friend of mine went to see It Might Get Loud yesterday and told me how happy Jimmy looks and how well he plays with The Edge and Jack White. Now here comes the mysterious part, why don't just go out and enjoy the music? The fans will happily embrace everything, anything from Jimmy Page.

But (yeah there's a big BUT), I think it's the best for Jimmy that he makes the decision by himself. He doesn't owe the fans anything, he has given us so much. I don't feel the need to complain if he wants to spend his rest life quietly, the same goes if Robert Plant and JP Jones continue to go their own paths.

As far as Jimmy continues to play,it's all ok.If he stops then we should be worried about apocalypse.Armageddon.The end of the world.Whatever. :D:)

He left us so many masterpieces we can enjoy.We owe him.

I just don't want Jimmy to ever stop making music. I would be so upset!!! I am dying to see this movie. That trailer makes it even harder to wait until August!

In terms of a solo career, I think that he stopped a long time ago. His last album was way back when? 1988? That's a long hiatus. If we're looking at collaborations, we can be a little more optimistic, though not much - 1998 is still a while back.

I'm gonna hitch onto Ev's train of thought. Seems likely that he had an idea, and in practise it just didn't work. Who can really say whether he'll try again? Is it easier to live the life he now has? Would he really care to kick-start his career (solo-wise) again?

At this point, I don't care. He could retire tomorrow from it all, and I'd be content. I have all of what he's offered us, and it's not a bad catalogue to have. For me, that's more than enough.

In terms of a solo career, I think that he stopped a long time ago. His last album was way back when? 1988? That's a long hiatus. If we're looking at collaborations, we can be a little more optimistic, though not much - 1998 is still a while back.

I'm gonna hitch onto Ev's train of thought. Seems likely that he had an idea, and in practise it just didn't work. Who can really say whether he'll try again? Is it easier to live the life he now has? Would he really care to kick-start his career (solo-wise) again?

At this point, I don't care. He could retire tomorrow from it all, and I'd be content. I have all of what he's offered us, and it's not a bad catalogue to have. For me, that's more than enough.

It is a good catalogue, but I thought he was making an album off and on. What happened with it?

It is a good catalogue, but I thought he was making an album off and on. What happened with it?

Well, if he is, he's taking his sweet time. I wasn't even aware that he was supposedly making an album. He does tend to say that he's got some great material lined up, but he's been saying that since 2003.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

As much as I would love to see him on stage again, if he chooses not to - he's left us one hell of a legacy that we will have forever and I'm more than happy with that. Same goes with Robert and JPJ.

I wasn't even aware that he was supposedly making an album.

There were reports of an album where he wanted to use a different one of his guitars on each track (or something like that) but once the 02 show came up all those stories suddenly wen to the backburner.

He talked about how he had to get this album out of his system after the UK Hall of Fame it would appear by the end of the year (2007) but like Jahfin said, the 02 came up, etc. Jimmy said in an interview while he was making what turned out to be It Might Get Loud, supposedly some of his new music will be in it.

My feeling is that Jimmy had an idea, and the pieces didn't fall into place. The question now is whether he's driven enough to chisel out another Outrider, or just another remaster.

....I wonder how/if Ross Halfin is influential in Jimmy's professional career....(or is this too personal)...I realize in the end it's Page's decision as we know now, but it's not that Ross is not totally unaware of the issues here... :D

....I wonder how/if Ross Halfin is influential in Jimmy's professional career....(or is this too personal)...I realize in the end it's Page's decision as we know now, but it's not that Ross is not totally unaware of the issues here... :D

I don't see how Ross Halfin is influential in Jimmy's career. Ross is his friend and might leak some infos here and there, but I think it usually happened after Jimmy had made his decisions.

Anyway, though I'm thankful that Mr. Halfin keeps us informed about Jimmy once in a while, I really don't need to know where and what he goes to eat etc.. Nothing against Ross but I would prefer very much that Jimmy hang out more pften with some fellow musicians. Jeff Beck's words about Jimmy's passiveness and unwillingness in setting up a collaboration really made me wonder.

I don't see how Ross Halfin is influential in Jimmy's career. Ross is his friend and might leak some infos here and there, but I think it usually happened after Jimmy had made his decisions.

Anyway, though I'm thankful that Mr. Halfin keeps us informed about Jimmy once in a while, I really don't need to know where and what he goes to eat etc.. Nothing against Ross but I would prefer very much that Jimmy hang out more pften with some fellow musicians. Jeff Beck's words about Jimmy's passiveness and unwillingness in setting up a collaboration really made me wonder.

....It was just a question. I suppose you are right, we get info. after the decisions by Page...As for further friendships in the Entertainment Industry in general...particularly the piece about Jeff Beck...I am with you on this...He is a brilliant musician....I think he needs to share his gifted vision in every way, Cinema, Composing, Playing Guitar....whatever...that is the part I don't understand either...tks. Gliicine... :D

....It was just a question. I suppose you are right, we get info. after the decisions by Page...As for further friendships in the Entertainment Industry in general...particularly the piece about Jeff Beck...I am with you on this...He is a brilliant musician....I think he needs to share his gifted vision in every way, Cinema, Composing, Playing Guitar....whatever...that is the part I don't understand either...tks. Gliicine... :D

Sometimes I think what he really needs is someone who can kick his ass and push him into action, and that's why he wants Robert. Jeff is way too kind...

The cancelled tour with Coverdale was not due to low ticket sales (not enough interest in the States on these guys? Come on) but due to management conflict. The 2 parties couldn't settle on an agreement. You know, it was "how do we make the most money from this? Tour now! No! Tour later! Yes! No!" A shame. When I saw Page playing on Wall Street with these suits I figured that was the final nail in the coffin. And that was several years ago. Imagine Jeff Beck playing on Wall St. with these criminals. Isn't anything sacred anymore? Page, since 1990, has released a grand total of 2 discs of all new originals. I used to think he had lots of ideas and more to do. Is he letting his talent go to waste? Or does he just not have it anymore? If he comes back w/ J.P. Jones and Jason, then welcome back, but I can't think of anyone who became so creatively inactive for so long. except Syd Barrett and Cat Stevens.

The cancelled tour with Coverdale was not due to low ticket sales (not enough interest in the States on these guys? Come on) but due to management conflict. The 2 parties couldn't settle on an agreement. You know, it was "how do we make the most money from this? Tour now! No! Tour later! Yes! No!" A shame. When I saw Page playing on Wall Street with these suits I figured that was the final nail in the coffin. And that was several years ago. Imagine Jeff Beck playing on Wall St. with these criminals. Isn't anything sacred anymore? Page, since 1990, has released a grand total of 2 discs of all new originals. I used to think he had lots of ideas and more to do. Is he letting his talent go to waste? Or does he just not have it anymore? If he comes back w/ J.P. Jones and Jason, then welcome back, but I can't think of anyone who became so creatively inactive for so long. except Syd Barrett and Cat Stevens.

Syd Barrett had a lot of psychological issues which I would say caused his inactivity and Cat Stevens chose a different path to follow.

Might I be a bit harsh and say "washed up?"

Perhaps instead of "washed up" (i.e. no longer effective or successful), "uninspired" could be more appropriate. "Washed up" implies a permanent stagnation.

Might I be a bit harsh and say "washed up?"

I don't think I'd go that far. He participated in "It Might Get Loud" and I'd say that was taking a big risk. (Films often look good on paper, but the end result can look like crap.) Personally, I can't wait to see it, and the trailer looks awesome. :D

I would love to see Jimmy put out a new album, even if it's just an instrumental or something. (Jeff Beck has done some awesome instrumental stuff. Why can't Jimmy?) I'd buy it!! :D But if IMGL is his last project, I'm okay with that.

It's obvious that Jimmy (this could apply equally to John Paul also), has no inclination to play with anyone other than his musical soul mates RP and JPJ and possibly Jason.

If it were not the case why were the "auditions" unsuccessful?

Led Zeppelin has been his passion since 1968 and the only thing that stopped the bands momentum were circumstances that may or may not have been beyond their control and Bonzo's untimely leaving.

Washed up? Hardly.

Uninspired? Probably.

If he were to give it all up tomorrow, then thanks for the memories.

Archived