Chickenfoot Could "Rival" Zep

I just think ol' Sammy was pumped up, somewhat buzzed, and a bit over-exuberant, and got carried away.

Remember when the Beatles were more popular than God? :lol:

hate5.jpg

How's it going "Evster2012?" Welcome back to the thread where you belong! You have to love Sammy Hagar, at least he got a lot of people curious about his new band and went out and bought the CD like I did. CHICKENFOOT is a great band but they are by NO MEANS LED ZEPPELIN!

I do remember when JOHN LENNON said that THE BEATLES were more popular than Jesus. And you know what "Evster2012," THEY WERE! ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "Evster2012?" Welcome back to the thread where you belong! You have to love Sammy Hagar, at least he got a lot of people curious about his new band and went out and bought the CD like I did. CHICKENFOOT is a great band but they are by NO MEANS LED ZEPPELIN!

I do remember when JOHN LENNON said that THE BEATLES were more popular than Jesus. And you know what "Evster2012," THEY WERE! ROCK ON my friend!

Rock on amigo!! :beer:

Haven't heard this as yet, but I remember when Eat em and Smile came out. Dave completely stuck Eddie's dick in the dirt with Vai, Sheehan and Bissonett. Wait, isn't Dick in the Dirt a Sammy Hagar song? Meanwhile we had "5150 time!!!". It kinda split the sides. Eddie and company had Why Can't This Be Love, and Dave had Elephant Gun and Shy Boy. For us guitar geeks it was advantage Dave. I was on the Dave side because it had more of what I loved Van Halen for. Eddie meanwhile seemed to go through a period of "refining himself". Dave kept it more real. Unfortunately when Skyscraper came out, it was way too real. So now OU812 comes out, and I'm doin the Cabo Wabo. And so it goes on. :beer:

Dick in the Dirt lyrics.

Preach on Sammy: :ph34r:

I know this guy named Richard

He's my red-necked friend

He does everything the hard way

You see, Rich don't like to bend.

He went out for a haircut

Get himself a little trim

Got hooked up with a beautician

And she set out to do him in

She knocked Dick in the dirt

He said that it didn't hurt one bit, no.

He jumped up and then she kissed him where it hurt.

Now Rich knows girls in England

He's a well traveled man

He's been around the world, you see.

He's met some hard demands.

But, Jane, she knocked him right down

Well, he'll just get right back up, whew!

Together they have this bond, you see.

She likes to tie him up.

Yea, but, then she kissed him where it hurt, ow!

Now, Rich, he got all junked up.

Something rubbed him wrong.

But, Jane, she straightens him out.

Yeah, it never takes that long.

'Cause Rich, he has no conscience

He's of a friendly persuasion

And any chance he has to meet someone new.

He'll always rise to the occasion.

He jumped up and then she kissed him where it hurt, ow!

He jumped up and then she kissed him where it hurt.

Uh! Ow!

Why would you think Joe Satriani, Mike Anthony, Chad Smith and Sammy Hagar would suck?

I mean, I can understand hazing them for the Zeppelin remark, but these are seasoned veterans. Nothing to laugh at. It could be really good!

Unfortunately thanks to Sammy's silly statement, he's invited a slew of "its no Zeppelin" assessments.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to an exciting collaboration.

Satch with Sammy, Mike and Chad?? Bring it!!!!

Second coming notwithstanding. :beer:

I agree Chickenfoot will be interesting if not Damn Good Sammy is a great musican but He will never be as good as Robert. I know deep down He is really sorry for His comment and if they play in My nieghborhood I will go see them.

Rock on amigo!! :beer:

Haven't heard this as yet, but I remember when Eat em and Smile came out. Dave completely stuck Eddie's dick in the dirt with Vai, Sheehan and Bissonett. Wait, isn't Dick in the Dirt a Sammy Hagar song? Meanwhile we had "5150 time!!!". It kinda split the sides. Eddie and company had Why Can't This Be Love, and Dave had Elephant Gun and Shy Boy. For us guitar geeks it was advantage Dave. I was on the Dave side because it had more of what I loved Van Halen for. Eddie meanwhile seemed to go through a period of "refining himself". Dave kept it more real. Unfortunately when Skyscraper came out, it was way too real. So now OU812 comes out, and I'm doin the Cabo Wabo. And so it goes on. :beer:

How's it going "Evster2012?" The EAT EM AND SMILE album kicked ass. I have both of these albums but since I own thousands and thousands of CD's (Not including CD-R's), I cannot seem to find them anywhere at the moment. I don't even remember any of the songs at the moment but I know that the SKYSCRAPER album was not as good as the first album. Steve Vai did kick ass on the first album in more ways than one. I'm going to have to find these two albums so we can really have a great conversation on both of these albums soon. Who knows "Evster2012," maybe you can start a thread on DAVID LEE ROTH! Ha Ha! Now that would be something! In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "MightyZep?" After listening to the CHICKENFOOT album again, it doesn't even sound anything close to LED ZEPPELIN. If anything, the CHICKENFOOT album sounds more like early VAN HALEN from the late 1970's or the Sammy Hagar/Michael Anthony years with VAN HALEN during the 1980's. I don't hear any LED ZEPPELIN in this album at all! It is a great album in its own special way. Satriani has always played a mean guitar and he proves why on this album. ROCK ON!

I don't like Hagar. If all of Chickenfoot's songs are ballads like they were with Van Halen when he sang, good luck.

While the ballad quotient definitely came into play during Hagar's tenure in the band I would never say all of the songs were ballads.

All due respect to Hagar and company but this group strikes me as something like Velvet Revolver that supposedly looked good on paper but in reality it's just another corporate rock band. I really have no interest in such.

I picked up the CD the other day. I like it. Sammy is 62 i believe ans still sounds good. At Least these guys are putting some new material out (unlike my favorite band)! :slapface:

How's it going "slagfarmer?" This album may not sound like LED ZEPPELIN like Sammy Hagar says it does but this is a great album in its own right. I really do like the songs on this album. Joe Satriani kicks ass on guitar. ROCK ON!

Hagar never said the album sounded like Zeppelin. Apparently while drunk he said Chickenfoot could rival Zeppelin. He's since retracted that statement.

How's it going "Jahfin?" Its amazing how one word can make all of the difference in the world. I thought that someone here on the thread said that Hagar mentioned that ZEPPELIN sounded like early LED ZEPPELIN! I am aware that Hagar did say that CHICKENFOOT can rival ZEPPELIN. However, I was not aware that Hagar retracted that statement. Thanks for the info. ROCK ON!

I had high hopes for this project but it really didn't do anything for me. I thought they'd try and do something a lot more "moody" than it ended up being. The mash up of of the worst parts of 70's arena rock with a generous helping of Van Halen party vibe they went with is icky to me.

Editorial Reviews

Supergroups are often motley groups seemingly formed at the end of an after-concert party but few are quite as strange as Chickenfoot, an endeavor featuring Van Halen's Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, guitar legend Joe Satriani, and drummer Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. These four musicians are tied together by their many years playing in the arena rock trenches, a circuit that doesn't necessarily yield common musical ground although it does lend its veterans a certain knack for pleasing crowds. This eagerness is evident on the band's eponymous 2009 debut, which should come as no surprise seeing that Sammy Hagar has never seen a party he couldn't rock, but this mentality doesn't quite jibe with Satriani's immaculate, tightly controlled playing. Satch always seems to want to burst out but can't help leaning on precision, a problem that's the polar opposite to Hagar's let-it-all-hang-out philosophy, and this dichotomy is mirrored in the rhythm section, where Anthony's chugging bass doesn't quite fill the gaps Smith leaves. All this means is that Chickenfoot's big picture is roughly in place but the pieces don't quite fit. Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

Before any material was ever released, this seemed to be like something that could potentially be pretty good. As songs became available to download/sample on myspace etc...I must admit it was a letdown. NO denying Satriani is a phenomenal guitarist but the songs are kinda cheesy. Musically they're alright but I really don't like Sammy Hagar... I think I might be willing to give Chickenfoot a bit more of a chance if he wasn't the singer. :ph34r:

Archived