Pushin two yrs, nothin from Jimmy?

KidLed

Being a young'un and having never gotten to see Jimmy before, I now fear that I never will. :(

Me too.It's frustrating.

But if he decided not to play for these few years or-PLEASE DON'T DO IT JIMMY-decided not to play ever again we should respect that.He was playing for over 40 years.That is a big wow.

Jimmy,I salute you.

I saw a clip from the recent RnR Hall of Fame, and when they were discussing Train Kept a Rollin, Jimmy declined to take part in the trade-off solos with Beck and Perry. I thought that said a lot. At least that's how I interpreted it, and it bummed me out.

I think you're reading too much into it, Ev. He solo'd and solo'd well at O2. He can solo over Train, which he's played about a million times, in his sleep. I agree with Chicago, it's never been his style to get into these all star "I can top you" wank offs.

Eric Clapton is the lead vocalist in his own band.

Greg Allman is the lead vocalist in the Allman Brothers.

Robert Plant is the lead vocalist in his own band.

All of the above can perform any song in their own history without repercussion.

It's not an accurate comparison to Page's situation and it showed itself when there was a chance Page was going to play Zeppelin material without Robert. How dare he play his own music with someone else. The audacity of the man.

I'm not sure, are you saying it's easier for vocalists to carry on their career than guitarists? I don't understand the argument.

And there have been complaining and insult thrown at Robert all the time because he played Zeppelin material without his old bandmates and it didn't stop him.

And about the "warm reception" when Coverdale/Page, WIC and The Firm came out, none of the other musicians involved stopped playing.

Not that I'm saying what Jimmy should do, just can't agree those are the reasons why he stopped.

I do think it's easier for a vocalist because the public gravitates to lyrics and vocals. It's not a stretch that vocal-based music sells more than instrumentals. I just saw Jeff Beck at the Park West which seats only 750. The guy's a monster and he's in a small club. Clapton sings his songs and sells out the 20,000 seat United Center.

Those tsk..tsking... Jimmy Page for not putting out more product are no different than those wishing for Robert to rejoin Page and the others for some shows. They're called desires but they just might not be yours.

The 02 may have been Page's last show ever. That's the way the violin bow bounces.

I'll echo what a few others have said. I am not of the camp that Jimmy owes his fans anything. He's given us so much already but it is a bit frustrating and certainly disappointing, puzzling as to why there's been so little from him as of late.

Those tsk..tsking... Jimmy Page for not putting out more product are no different than those wishing for Robert to rejoin Page and the others for some shows. They're called desires but they just might not be yours.

Exactly. So those who would have liked Jimmy to have performed more are as free to express their desires--which is all they are--as those who want a Zep reunion.

Different point: wasn't Jimmy not taking a solo at the Hall of Fame show because of the guitar-strap malfunction, or am I misremembering that? It seemed there was endless debate about it at the time, which came to that conclusion.

I didn't overanalyze the calamity of sound the was coming offstage during Train Kept A Rolling. I'm of the belief Jimmy Page can still deliver a solo.

I do remember when fans were wishing for possible future dates after the 02 show they were told to grow up and get over it. Should that attitude apply to your desire for more from Jimmy?

I do think it's easier for a vocalist because the public gravitates to lyrics and vocals. It's not a stretch that vocal-based music sells more than instrumentals. I just saw Jeff Beck at the Park West which seats only 750. The guy's a monster and he's in a small club. Clapton sings his songs and sells out the 20,000 seat United Center.

The 02 may have been Page's last show ever. That's the way the violin bow bounces.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I like both Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, and it's the best when they play together. :D

Anyway*sigh*, let people moan a bit when they don't get what they want so badly, as long as it's harmless. And I thought we were all used to harsh words after the Robert Plant happy-bashing fest, while no one here used any of those on Jimmy.

I do remember when fans were wishing for possible future dates after the 02 show they were told to grow up and get over it. Should that attitude apply to your desire for more from Jimmy?

Yes, it should, if I (or anyone else) was saying Jimmy owed it to his fans, and that he's a selfish bastard for not doing exactly what I want when I want.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, however.

That's right, every once in a while we just have to harumph about Jimmy's lack of musical vision and output. It has some cleansing effect.

Page Tourette syndrome...." What's he doing?" ...."Jimmy's not playing!"....'Where's Jimmy's album?"..." He didn't play a solo!'.. ad infinitum.

That's right, every once in a while we just have to harumph about Jimmy's lack of musical vision and output. It has some cleansing effect.

Page Tourette syndrome...." What's he doing?" ...."Jimmy's not playing!"....'Where's Jimmy's album?"..." He didn't play a solo!'.. ad infinitum.

Indeed! Expressing disappointment that we wish he was out there playing is okay - it's the "he owes us" attitude that isn't.

I don't see any reason why people shouldn't sometimes comment on their disappointment over the lack of those things. I also don't see the need for your tone, to be honest. These comments are hardly a criticism of Jimmy, in fact they're the reverse. And compared to the number of threads that focused on Robert's decision not to join the reunion, the number of threads commenting on Jimmy's limited output is infinitesimal. This thread is a heck of a lot more respectful of its subject, too.

So is this becoming an arbitration fight about forum tone?

I'm not biting as my comments have been respectful.

If there'as a hint of critique toward Robert's career or personal life you and predictably several others immediately come to his defense. I can set my watch to it. That intense defense isn't applied to Page in the same manner. It's striking that many of those who defend Robert here feel such an ease with their Jimmy barbs.

I think you're reading too much into it, Ev. He solo'd and solo'd well at O2. He can solo over Train, which he's played about a million times, in his sleep. I agree with Chicago, it's never been his style to get into these all star "I can top you" wank offs.

Oh I'm not saying he can't. I was speaking to his motivation. I have to go back to the tape I made, but it seemed they mentioned him taking a turn and he said something to the effect of "No I ain't gonna fucking solo" or something like that. And he was laughing about it. I wasn't over-reading it, I was just bummed he wasn't into joining the jam.

Anyone who has a clearer recollection of the event I'm describing please chime in. I was pretty buzzed by the time we got to the end of the show. ;):beer:

And as for "I can top you wank-offs", I was thinking of trading with Beck ala Yardies Train Kept a Rollin. It would seem fitting y'know. And he certainly didn't shy away from trading off with Audley Freed and Rick Robinson with the Crowes. ;)

Nice to see ya Stork! Long time! :beer:

If there'as a hint of critique toward Robert's career or personal life you and predictably several others immediately come to his defense. I can set my watch to it. That intense defense isn't applied to Page in the same manner. It's striking that many of those who defend Robert here feel such an ease with their Jimmy barbs.

It seems we have different opinions about "barbs".

Edit: Oh wait a minute, are you saying we (yes, count me in, the "Robert Plant apologists brigade", I won't mind) are doing Jimmy barbs?

I once read a great quote about the acting profession where someone said "if you are an actor and your not actively acting, then you are basically unemployed".

I think we can say the samething about a musician, a musician should be playing music, when they are not, then they are unemployed.

WHAT barbs? This is my whole point. Nobody's having a go at Jimmy, we're just saying we're disappointed not to hear more of him. We're saying that--no, I'M saying that because he's my favorite guitarist and I'd like to hear him play. What's the problem?? Why get defensive when there's no attack? Or fight, for that matter--I'm sure not looking for one.

And I didn't say your comments hadn't been respectful, I said that this thread was more respectful about Jimmy than many of the Robert threads were about him, which seems to me indisputable. Many of those were so vitriolic they were deleted. And damn straight I'll come to his defense, as I will Jimmy if he gets attacked in the same way.

And George Harrison said in a detrimental way- " We ( The Beatles ) gave the world our nervous systems!" Page may feel the same and isn't into going through it all again. No one here on the board can pretend to know all of his reasons for not being out there performing.

And George Harrison said in a detrimental way- " We ( The Beatles ) gave the world our nervous systems!" Page may feel the same and isn't into going through it all again. No one here on the board can pretend to know all of his reasons for not being out there performing.

So to me threads of this nature stir up a some sense of grave disappointment toward Jimmy.

OK, well, "agree to disagree" time, in that I see threads like this more as a compliment to Jimmy as an important artist who is missed.

WHAT barbs? This is my whole point. Nobody's having a go at Jimmy, we're just saying we're disappointed not to hear more of him. We're saying that--no, I'M saying that because he's my favorite guitarist and I'd like to hear him play. What's the problem?? Why get defensive when there's no attack? Or fight, for that matter--I'm sure not looking for one.

And I didn't say your comments hadn't been respectful, I said that this thread was more respectful about Jimmy than many of the Robert threads were about him, which seems to me indisputable. Many of those were so vitriolic they were deleted. And damn straight I'll come to his defense, as I will Jimmy if he gets attacked in the same way.

I have not been on this board as long as many others, but I remember the same people that defend Plant have also come to Jimmy's defense more than once. I remember a thread that became disrepectful toward Jimmy being quickly deleted. That being said, the attacks on Plant, Krauss, the South and specifically Tennessee and Kentucky have far exceeded anything I have seen on any message board.

OK, well, "agree to disagree" time, in that I see threads like this more as a compliment to Jimmy as an important artist who is missed.

Off topic: Just read some posts from the thread starter and had a laugh. He'd be pissed that his thread was thought to "stir up a some sense of grave disappointment toward Jimmy".

And @KG:

I speak here only for myself, I have defended both of them, I stood up whenever I felt the need. And why have I defended Robert more times than Jimmy? Very simple, he was attacked more often.

I am disappointed, so what? I am even disappointed that I will probably never see Led Zeppelin. Did I whine about it? Did I try to insult the members? No. That's all I can say.

Guitarworld 1986 - Jimmy Page Cover Issue excerpts from Danny Goldberg:

"Page, int the beginning was responsible for most of the musical moves of the band but as time went on Robert plant took a larger role in those decisions. "

"I watched that {relationship between Page and Plant} change. Earlier, Jimmy really dominated the relationship completely. And the was the founder of the group, the producer of the records, wrote the music and was just the psychic center of the group. And basically somewhat dominated Robert. Although Robert had his own life and his own thing, Jimmy was the stronger of the two in that relationship. Although Robert did write the lyrics Jimmy was the senior. At times when they would disagree with something, if Jimmy was vehement about something Robert would go along with that.

"But as time went by and Robert got older, Robert became more and more independent to the point where now, Robert is the stronger. He's certainly the more successful. But I would say by the end of Zeppelin, Robert had got the confidence to assert himself as an absolute equal."

"In the beginning years Robert was happy to have the job as a vocalist in Led Zeppelin."

"So Robert had the odyssey of being the new kid, barely able to get and keep the job, through ultimately becoming the most successful solo member of the group."

"I think Jimmy has the talent at any moment to be successful as anyone can be in the music business but I think he's more troubled. But I think Robert had a more specific vision of who he is as a solo artist. And Robert had the advantage of being the singer........"

"So I think Jimmy's influence is not only as a guitarist but I always thought his true and greatest genius was as writer and producer.

"He stands alone as a conceptualizer of what rock band should sound like. And greatness of Zeppelin comes from him as a writer and a producer..."

:)

...not edited for spelling...

It is difficult for Jimmy Page, at this age, to be involved in anything else, to him Led Zeppelin is just Led Zeppelin, and everything else is just everything else......It is very tough to be a perfectionist....His vision just cannot match anything....

Difficult as it for myself along with fans...I totally respect his dedication to Led Zeppelin....it too has its benefits for the future of music and certainly respect for Jimmy Page........ :D

Hi all,

After reading every post in this thread, I will chime in with a few impressions and observations.

First off, Jimmy is a perfectionist. He will not allow himself to be less than perfect. I understand this character trait, as I possess it myself, lol. He would not solo at the RRHOF Induction Ceremony because of the strap issue which prevented him from performing a perfect solo. So he opted not to do a potentially sub-par performance, which would have resulted in alot of criticism. But now the critics are making a big issue of him not soloing. So the poor guy can't win either way.

Jimmy was nervous at the RRHOF event. That is obvious in watching the replay of the FUSE telecast and in the pictures that Ross took, as well as the out-take conversations with Jimmy that played on FUSE, such as the comment about "forget the f-ing solo, I just hope I get the sequence right" that he made when they were rehearsing Train Kept a Rollin'. The nervousness could be the reason for the photo of he and Ron Wood slipping out back of the theater for a smoke, when he had allegedly quit smoking. (Just an observation, not an opinion).

Jimmy is shy. And is a gentleman. He would not want to usurp the spotlight from Jeff or Metallica on their special night. Possibly his substance use and drinking Jack Daniels prior to a Zepp concert back in the day was his way of obtaining courage to go on stage in front of thousands of people. There is no proof of this, I am just throwing this out as a suggestion. I am shy and I know that I would have to be a little buzzed to get on stage like he did, lol. And it appeared that he was stone sober on the night of the Induction Ceremony, drinking non-alcoholic beer, as has been pointed out here on the forum. And take note that he did stand to the back of the crowd on stage, kind of blending into the background so he wouldn't stand out. So maybe he never intended to solo? We will never know the answer. So give him a break on this issue, please?

And for the Plant bashing vs. Jimmy bashing. Just stop it!!! :slapface: Stop bashing both of them as they are our heros.

And there is no need to keep count if more people bash Robert vs. Jimmy, or if more people defend Jimmy vs. Robert. It is all wrong. Love them both, as I do. :D

Archived