Pushin two yrs, nothin from Jimmy?

KidLed

I'll echo what a few others have said. I am not of the camp that Jimmy owes his fans anything. He's given us so much already but it is a bit frustrating and certainly disappointing, puzzling as to why there's been so little from him as of late.

:yesnod:

I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing disappointment. Like I posted before, I'm 19 and have never seen Jimmy let alone even be alive to witness him release new material. So obviously I don't like that. Its kind of maddening to be in love with this musician and never getting the chance to see them live/buy their new album. Is there anything wrong with me thinking that? How can I not think that? But its not like I'm writing mad fan mail to Jimmy saying "You selfish prick! Put out a damn album! You owe me it! Grrr!" Me being so young is just my unfortunate situation, I don't think its Jimmys 'fault' or blame him or something... OBVIOUSLY Jimmy, and Robert, and every other person on the fucking planet, and I thought this was a given, can do whatever the hell they please, no one in this thread is saying otherwise (in the Robert bashing/reunion threads, however... :rolleyes:)

"Jimmy barbs"- yeah right! In my opinion, Jimmy has the right to do anything he wants (ummm he's a human), and I respect his 'reasons', if there are any, for not playing, or whatever's 'going on'. If its a motivational problem, then I 1000000% get it. I mean, I'm a guitar player and I'm going through the exact same thing right now.

People need to chill out. Hey, believe it or not, there are more important issues to agonize over than the life of a '70s rock guitar player. ;)

:yesnod:

I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing disappointment. Like I posted before, I'm 19 and have never seen Jimmy let alone even be alive to witness him release new material. So obviously I don't like that. Its kind of maddening to be in love with this musician and never getting the chance to see them live/buy their new album. Is there anything wrong with me thinking that? How can I not think that? But its not like I'm writing mad fan mail to Jimmy saying "You selfish prick! Put out a damn album! You owe me it! Grrr!" Me being so young is just my unfortunate situation, I don't think its Jimmys 'fault' or blame him or something... OBVIOUSLY Jimmy, and Robert, and every other person on the fucking planet, and I thought this was a given, can do whatever the hell they please, no one in this thread is saying otherwise (in the Robert bashing/reunion threads, however... :rolleyes:)

"Jimmy barbs"- yeah right! In my opinion, Jimmy has the right to do anything he wants (ummm he's a human), and I respect his 'reasons', if there are any, for not playing, or whatever's 'going on'. If its a motivational problem, then I 1000000% get it. I mean, I'm a guitar player and I'm going through the exact same thing right now.

People need to chill out. Hey, believe it or not, there are more important issues to agonize over than the life of a '70s rock guitar player. ;)

:yesnod: :yesnod:

Totally agree - of course you can be disappointed there hasn't been more from Jimmy and wishing you would have the chance to see him live. I think we all feel that way. It's not at all the same as expecting him to or feeling he "owes" us etc. and we're in no way bashing him as a result.

And there is no need to keep count if more people bash Robert vs. Jimmy, or if more people defend Jimmy vs. Robert. It is all wrong. Love them both, as I do. :D

So do I. That was my whole point.

Also, although this seems to be the conventional wisdom, I'm not so sure Jimmy is a perfectionist. I don't think Zep would have nearly as improvisational as they were if Jimmy had been worrying all the time about getting every note exactly right. Usually it was fantastic, sometimes it was a disaster, such being the nature of jamming, and that seems to have been fine with Jimmy.

Oh I'm not saying he can't. I was speaking to his motivation. I have to go back to the tape I made, but it seemed they mentioned him taking a turn and he said something to the effect of "No I ain't gonna fucking solo" or something like that. And he was laughing about it. I wasn't over-reading it, I was just bummed he wasn't into joining the jam.

Anyone who has a clearer recollection of the event I'm describing please chime in. I was pretty buzzed by the time we got to the end of the show. ;):beer:

And as for "I can top you wank-offs", I was thinking of trading with Beck ala Yardies Train Kept a Rollin. It would seem fitting y'know. And he certainly didn't shy away from trading off with Audley Freed and Rick Robinson with the Crowes. ;)

Nice to see ya Stork! Long time! :beer:

You too man! :beer:

I think maybe the guitar strap incident is to blame. But I didn't see the video clip from rehearsal...

My sense is that Page is the most closely tied to the Zeppelin phase, like he feels most comfortable when he keeps it going, and the farther he goes from it the less direction there seems to be.

Plant has made a concerted effort to step away from it, Jonesy, too. Whenever I've seen Plant & Jonesy live, they've always included some Zep songs. But with Page live, whether with Plant or others, most of the live material was Zep. Mind you that's a small sample of live shows, but given the scarcity of new material from Page, it seems to fit my hunch.

Er, um, uh.. I know this ain't a Stones or Faces forum but Woody didn't solo either so Page isn't the only one that bowed out at HOF. I was under the impression that he was bowing out to let Beck have his moment.

Anyone remember the ARMS concert? Page certainly participated in the trading off there and I think he stepped up quite nicely(better than Beck IMO), especially given the shape he was in.

My two cents........

I'm not going to draw conclusions or act like I personally know Jimmy Page based off slivers of information. Jimmy is retired. I expect no more from him because what he has already given us is beyond human. If he continues making music, great for him. If he decides not to, that's perfectly fine with me.

My sense is that Page is the most closely tied to the Zeppelin phase, like he feels most comfortable when he keeps it going, and the farther he goes from it the less direction there seems to be.

Plant has made a concerted effort to step away from it, Jonesy, too. Whenever I've seen Plant & Jonesy live, they've always included some Zep songs. But with Page live, whether with Plant or others, most of the live material was Zep. Mind you that's a small sample of live shows, but given the scarcity of new material from Page, it seems to fit my hunch.

Plant was already "over" Led Zeppelin by 1977. I think that made it much easier for him to jump into new things after Bonham died in 1980 and not look back.

Page, on the other hand, never got over the loss of 'his' band,

and I totally understand why.

Jones didn't have a choice but to do his own thing but has never turned down a chance to play with his former bandmates. He was not happy about being excluded from the Page/Plant collaborations either.

Plant was already "over" Led Zeppelin by 1977. I think that made it much easier for him to jump into new things after Bonham died in 1980 and not look back.

I disagree. If Plant was already "over" Led Zeppelin by 1977, why did he come back and keep the things going with the other three til Bonzo died? You know, it showed he indeed had a lot of love for Zeppelin to overcome his pain after what happened in 77.

I disagree. If Plant was already "over" Led Zeppelin by 1977, why did he come back and keep the things going with the other three til Bonzo died? You know, it showed he indeed had a lot of love for Zeppelin to overcome his pain after what happened in 77.

It was Plant that said he was "over Zep by 77", not me.

Why did he stick around till Bonham died?

Probably because it ain't that easy to walk away from the greatest band of all time.

It was Plant that said he was "over Zep by 77", not me.

Why did he stick around till Bonham died?

Probably because it ain't that easy to walk away from the greatest band of all time.

Oh sorry, my bad, have never seen this quote before.

Anyway he did come back for another three years and I don't think he did the last album with half heart.

And about how easy it was, he once said(I don't remember it word for word though) at the time Zeppelin broke up, he didn't even know how to book a plane ticket. He had to learn a lot of things from the beginning, it was like learn to walk all over again, it was a painful and difficult time. Mentally he might want to walk away from Zeppelin, but it was much more difficult in practice.

Oops I guess I've got terribly off-topic. All I want to say to this thread is, it's the best that Jimmy decides for himself. I HOPE I can hear more from him I guess I'm allowed to say that? But I will accept his decisons whatsoever and always wish him health and happiness.

Honestly, I would be more excited about a new JPJ offering then a Jimmy album. At best, I see Jimmy maybe working on some new remastered concerts and some 45th or 50 Led Zeppelin anniversary stuff, if there isn't any 40th stuff coming out this years.

Off-topic, quickly--whatever Robert may have said, his tears at Knebworth tell me he wasn't over Zeppelin in 1979 . . .

And back on-topic--I hope for more from Jimmy (much more than JPJ, in my case) too, and I don't mean that as some backhanded insult implying he hasn't already done enough. It will be a shame if he decides to stop here (by which I'm not suggesting he shouldn't do what he likes, just that I have an opinion about it).

Page, on the other hand, never got over the loss of 'his' band,

and I totally understand why.

Jones didn't have a choice but to do his own thing but has never turned down a chance to play with his former bandmates. He was not happy about being excluded from the Page/Plant collaborations either.

Well fine but the point stands that the manner in which they moved on perhaps comments on the scarcity or abundance of their output. I get why Page would hang on too, but each of them have had a choice as to what they do. Again, Page stresses Zep material live, the other two touch on it. Jonesy may have wanted to be part of P&P (who said they didn't want to confuse the issue of it being a Zep reunion and proceeded to play 90% of live material from the Zep catalogue, even if it was by reworking the material or revisiting the Bombay sessions), still his live material didn't focus on Zep.

But again, all this is just a sense I have. If Page had been playing tons of Zep stuff and still had a prolific solo output, I wouldn't make that connection. I may be putting causality where it might not apply, but a hunch is a hunch. So if he's semi-retired, so be it, he owes us nothing, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Just to touch once more on the "over Zep by 77" thing, I find it ironic that when it came time to get back in the studio for ITTOD, it was Plant and Jones who were the more motivated. It was all they could do to get Page to show up for awhile (smack notwithstanding). I'm curious about that Plant quote though. When did he actually say it? Was it after Karac's death? That would make sense. He was probably "over" a lot of things at that point.

How did I know that at some point the discussion would turn ugly??? I just sat back and watched it evolve into BS!!

My point was that I find it frustrating to be a Jimmy fan since the end of Zep! I knew all his performances in the big list the one guy wrote, trust me I have every performance of Zep (other than Jasons wedding) and many of Jimmy since 1980.

What is perplexing to me is, since the reunion, he has said numerous times how fun it was and all indications were he WANTS (keyword here people pay attention) to get out and play more. Not that he HAS TO (another keyword people).

That being said, I'm the greatest rock guitarist of all time , but I can't find anyone to sing with me other than RP. that makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not knocking Jimmy or Robert for that matter, I'm just saying I can't imagine why he hasnt been out there playing when he seems like he really wants to. Other than a health issue, which I'm not aware of any.

My real hope is he is working on something in secret (with JPJ I HOPE!) to avoid the scum that is the press and all the opinions out there. If he can get some good music recorded and a band together without all the hoopla, than he can just drop a bomb on us and announce some dates!! not very Jimmy like, but in my experience any Jimmy/Zep stuff seems to come almost out of nowhere!

How did I know that at some point the discussion would turn ugly??? I just sat back and watched it evolve into BS!!

My point was that I find it frustrating to be a Jimmy fan since the end of Zep! I knew all his performances in the big list the one guy wrote, trust me I have every performance of Zep (other than Jasons wedding) and many of Jimmy since 1980.

What is perplexing to me is, since the reunion, he has said numerous times how fun it was and all indications were he WANTS (keyword here people pay attention) to get out and play more. Not that he HAS TO (another keyword people).

That being said, I'm the greatest rock guitarist of all time , but I can't find anyone to sing with me other than RP. that makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not knocking Jimmy or Robert for that matter, I'm just saying I can't imagine why he hasnt been out there playing when he seems like he really wants to. Other than a health issue, which I'm not aware of any.

My real hope is he is working on something in secret (with JPJ I HOPE!) to avoid the scum that is the press and all the opinions out there. If he can get some good music recorded and a band together without all the hoopla, than he can just drop a bomb on us and announce some dates!! not very Jimmy like, but in my experience any Jimmy/Zep stuff seems to come almost out of nowhere!

Well, since you've already read through the thread, so you would have seen that I said your point was definitely not to mock Jimmy Page.

And to the sentence I highlighted here, I've said it many times, it's probably not about "can't", but "don't want".

Well, since you've already read through the thread, so you would have seen that I said your point was definitely not to mock Jimmy Page.

And to the sentence I highlighted here, I've said it many times, it's probably not about "can't", but "don't want".

I think we all want to see them again. I saw them in 73 and 75. I was 13 and 15 and I am now almost 50 and they are 60 years plus and like most of you I just want that one last time to feel that MAGIC that they had.

It's emotional because that's what music is supposed to stir---our emotions, and let's face it these men had a chemistry that only comes along once. They are just not the same one on one as they are together. And only Jason can begin to replace John Bonham:-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because your initial question that started this thread requires facts and no one here has them. It becomes about opinion and speculation.

Just to touch once more on the "over Zep by 77" thing, I find it ironic that when it came time to get back in the studio for ITTOD, it was Plant and Jones who were the more motivated. It was all they could do to get Page to show up for awhile (smack notwithstanding). I'm curious about that Plant quote though. When did he actually say it? Was it after Karac's death? That would make sense. He was probably "over" a lot of things at that point.

I've seen that quote before but in all honesty, I can't remember what the source was. But it was within a greater context, again not recalling the specifics.

Okay that was of absolutely no help :slapface::blink:

Back to the land of confusion :beer:

Good post!

Archived