U2: New album, new influences

Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003787295

U2 Returns To Studio, Preps Early Reissues

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After an Easter break, U2 is back in the studio in Dublin to work on its next album with producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "Everyone [is] still hoping the new album will be out this year," reads a post on U2.com.

The as-yet-untitled disc will be followed by a 2009 tour, U2's first since recently cementing a 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists.

In other U2 news, Universal has set a July 22 release for remastered, expanded editions of the band's first three albums: "Boy" (1980), "October" (1981) and "War" (1983).

Guitarist the Edge is overseeing the reissues, which will include the original album on a single-disc, 180-gram vinyl and in a two-CD package featuring B-sides, rare tracks and live material.

The reissue program began last fall with "The Joshua Tree," which featured a previously unreleased video for "Red Hill Mining Town" and a host of other rarities.

• 1 month later...

Early U2 Reissues Packed With Rarities

u2_03l.gif

U2

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

A wealth of previously unreleased and rare material will be found on reissues of the early U2 albums "Boy," "War" and "October," due July 22 via Universal. Each album will be available as a remastered single CD, a deluxe set with a second disc of extras and on vinyl.

U2's 1980 debut album, "Boy," features the previously unreleased tracks "Speed of Life," "Saturday Night" and "Cartoon World" and a previously unreleased mix of "I Will Follow." "Boy-Girl" and "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" are captured in live versions taped at London's Marquee.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Great news all round.

I hadn't listened to U2 in ages and stuck on a couple of albums yesterday and was pleasantly blown away by how good it all sounded. I know The Joshua Tree is somewhat overplayed, but it still contains a lot of stunning tracks. Achtung Baby is equally important to me.

Hell, I even enjoyed The Unforgettable Fire, which always seems to cop a bit of flak for reasons I've never understood.

Who knows, I might even get around to seeing them live for the first time in many moons! :D

ahh U2....love em....my first concert ever in 84 and they've been one of my top 3 list since (U2, Zeppelin and Janes addiction....odd combo huh). I'm sure what they come out with will be interesting. I for one loved Pop and thought it was underrated, I also loved The Unforgettable fire too, but that might be for sentimental reasons.

been listening to the Joshua Tree a bit lately too....or what would equate to what was side 2 of the Joshua tree at least.....the non singles on that album are better than the hits....Zooropa was about the only one I wasn't crazy about

releasing the early stuff is great news too

• 4 weeks later...

U2 Reissue, Expand First Three Albums

52806.octobercropsmall.jpg

U2 will follow the trend they set with the 2007 reissue of possibly their most beloved album, The Joshua Tree, by remastering, expanding, and reissuing their first three full-lengths, 1980's Boy, 1981's October, and 1983's War. The reissues will come in three formats-- single CD, double CD with a bonus disc of rarities, and vinyl-- on July 22 via Universal. All contain new packaging, new liner notes, rare photos, and full lyrics.

In other U2 news, Billboard.com reports that the band is currently working on a new album, rumored to be released later this year on Interscope. Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are in the producers' chairs. And they will probably be coming to a Live Nation venue near you sometime in the near future.

To see the complete tracklistings click here.

• 4 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

Before U2's new album arrives in November, fans will have another vintage reissue to enjoy. The band's classic 1983 live album "Under a Blood Red Sky" will appear Sept. 23 via Universal as both a single CD and a CD/DVD set. Extra content has not yet been specified.

The original CD was recorded in St. Goarshausen, Germany, Boston and Morrison, Colo., while the home video includes just the latter gig at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Footage from Red Rocks was an early MTV favorite, helping break U2 in the United States.

As previously reported, expanded reissues of U2's first three albums, "Boy," "October" and "War," will arrive Tuesday (July 22).

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

• 5 months later...

http://www.u2exit.com/2009/01/first_single...ing_-_u2com.php

1780.jpg

Get On Your Boots, the first single from U2’s new album No Line On The Horizon, will be released as a digital download on February 15th with a physical format to follow on February 16 through Mercury/Universal.

Produced by Brian Eno, Danny Lanois and Steve Lillywhite, sessions for No Line On The Horizon began in Fez, Morocco, and continued at the band’s Dublin studio, New York’s Platinum Sound Recording Studios, and London’s Olympic Studios.

Released on March 2nd (March 3rd in the US), the album will come in a standard format with 24 page booklet and in digipak format. The digipak includes an extended booklet and the album’s companion film “Linear” by Anton Corbijn. A limited edition 64 page magazine will also be available, featuring the band in conversation with artist Catherine Owens, and new Anton Corbijn photographs. No Line On The Horizon will be released on 180gm vinyl. (More on the formats below)

The album cover artwork is an image of the sea meeting the sky by Japanese artist and photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto.

Here’s the full track listing:

1. No Line On The Horizon

2. Magnificent

3. Moment of Surrender

4. Unknown Caller

5. I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

6. Get On Your Boots

7. Stand Up Comedy

8. Fez – Being Born

9. White As Snow

10. Breathe

11. Cedars Of Lebanon

No Line On The Horizon will be available in five formats:

- Standard jewel case - with album CD and 24 page booklet

- Digipak format - limited edition with album CD, 32 page colour booklet and fold out poster. Features access to exclusive downloadable Anton Corbijn film.

- Magazine format – limited edition with album CD, with 64 page magazine. Features access to exclusive downloadable Anton Corbijn film.

- Box format - limited edition bespoke box containing digipak format album CD, DVD of Anton Corbijn’s exclusive film, 64 page hardback book, plus a fold out poster.

- LP vinyl – limited edition with 2 black vinyl discs, gatefold sleeve, and a 16 page booklet.

I'm not sure what to expect from the new record as I haven't been all that impressed by their recent efforts but I've definitely been enjoying the recent expanded reissues of their early albums (October, Boy, War & Under a Blood Red Sky). U23D also wasn't bad at all. The deluxe CD/DVD box set for The Joshua Tree is next on my list.

I'm not sure what to expect from the new record as I haven't been all that impressed by their recent efforts but I've definitely been enjoying the recent expanded reissues of their early albums (October, Boy, War & Under a Blood Red Sky). U23D also wasn't bad at all. The deluxe CD/DVD box set for The Joshua Tree is next on my list.

Personally, i think after Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and then my very favorite, Achtung Baby, the bar was set too high. I can't imagine U2 ever putting out an album to sound better than any of those. I still enjoyed many songs on their follow-ups (especially Zooropa) ...and their tours are always amazing. I also love their older records, and first album "Boy" has such wonderful songs, and the "boys" were still just that, teenagers.

If you get the chance to see them live, do yourself a favor. Even if the new album doesn't blow you away, they will surely perform many of their classics, and the shows are always full of energy and fun! Bono is one of the best frontmen!

I just picked up a used copy of Zooropa which I hadn't heard in years. I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I may also buy Pop eventually as I always had a soft spot for Please. As much as I like The Joshua Tree I've never really considered it their finest hour but it probably considered such since it's when they broke through to their largest audience. My favorite record of theirs remains to be War, probably because it's the first ever album I ever heard by them.

I've yet to see U2 in concert because they charge far too much but after seeing a couple of their more recent concert films (Elevation and U23D [at an IMAX theatre]) I would like to but not if the ticket prices are outrageous.

I just picked up a used copy of Zooropa which I hadn't heard in years. I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I may also buy Pop eventually as I always had a soft spot for Please. As much as I like The Joshua Tree I've never really considered it their finest hour but it probably considered such since it's when they broke through to their largest audience. My favorite record of theirs remains to be War, probably because it's the first ever album I ever heard by them.

I've yet to see U2 in concert because they charge far too much but after seeing a couple of their more recent concert films (Elevation and U23D [at an IMAX theatre]) I would like to but not if the ticket prices are outrageous.

Same as a Springsteen or Rolling Stones ticket, i have paid between $125 to $200 to see all of them (more than once) and that was as far back as 92. All those shows were sold out as well, and the only way to get a ticket is to go through an agent (for a decent seat anyway). If you want to see one of U2's best shows buy a copy of ZooTv live. That concert was amazing, and i consider the show i saw to be the best concert i have been to (and i have been to many really great concerts over the past 25 years). Please is a beautiful song and off "Pop" i also love If God Will Send His Angels and Staring at the Sun. That was another great tour...you might enjoy that on DVD as well.

No offense but I've never used a broker to get a ticket so I don't plan on starting now, even for U2. I also don't see paying that much to see anybody. I've paid $80 to see R.E.M. but that was through their fanclub and I had front row seats. That was worth every penny. I paid the same amount to see the Stones on their last tour and also felt it was worth it even though I was seated in the bleachers. I paid $90 to see the Police in 2007 and would not do that again. I like them and am glad I got to see them but did not enjoy watching three dots on a stage from the nosebleed section for that price. We'll see what the next U2 tour brings. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing them on the War tour way back when. Click on the photo below for the show I'm referring to.

u2_1983_stage.jpg

Zooropa is one of my favorite albums. As much as I love their early releases, I tend to be more drawn to Joshua Tree, Zooropa, Achtung Baby and Pop. I'd highly recommend seeing them live. Bono is an amazing front man and the rapport with him and the audience is pretty spectacular.

Zooropa is one of my favorite albums. As much as I love their early releases, I tend to be more drawn to Joshua Tree, Zooropa, Achtung Baby and Pop. I'd highly recommend seeing them live. Bono is an amazing front man and the rapport with him and the audience is pretty spectacular.

I'm currently in the process of rediscovering their middle period via Zooropa but I will always be drawn to their early work like War. I also love the live version of Bad from the Wide Awake In America EP. I would love to see them live. As I've said, it all just depends on the ticket price.

I'm currently in the process of rediscovering their middle period via Zooropa but I will always be drawn to their early work like War. I also love the live version of Bad from the Wide Awake In America EP. I would love to see them live. As I've said, it all just depends on the ticket price.

War is a great album. I do love their early works as I said but I seem to be more drawn to that middle period and saw them a few times during it. Bad live is the first U2 song I heard on the radio and I remember being absolutely floored by it. Then seeing it via video during their performance of Live Aid was incredibly moving. I never paid more than 90 dollars for a ticket.

War is a great album. I do love their early works as I said but I seem to be more drawn to that middle period and saw them a few times during it. Bad live is the first U2 song I heard on the radio and I remember being absolutely floored by it. Then seeing it via video during their performance of Live Aid was incredibly moving. I never paid more than 90 dollars for a ticket.

Their Live Aid performance is not only among my very favorites of theirs but from that whole event as well.

Their Live Aid performance is not only among my very favorites of theirs but from that whole event as well.

In many ways I would agree. Certainly musically and emotionally it was incredibly touching but I was at the concert in Philadelphia and it was the first time I had seen Robert, Jimmy or John Paul ever so for me, that was a huge highlight, even if it wasn't their finest musical hour. Didn't matter at the time.

In many ways I would agree. Certainly musically and emotionally it was incredibly touching but I was at the concert in Philadelphia and it was the first time I had seen Robert, Jimmy or John Paul ever so for me, that was a huge highlight, even if it wasn't their finest musical hour. Didn't matter at the time.

Hi Ninelives, i was also at Live Aid at the JFK! I always say what a wonderful event it was to see Robert, Jimmy and JPJ together, even though the performance has been highly criticized by those who have seen it on video. They are just jealous, lol :) Did you happen to see ZooTV? That tour was remarkable musically, visually, and emotionally! Bono calling the White House and ordering pizza's, what a trip!

Archived