David Letterman Makes Sleazy Comments About Sarah Palin's Daughter

cryingbluerain

He violated this basic principle - it is inappropriate to make sexually explicit jokes about children (regardless if the parent(s) and/or person(s) making the joke are public figures).

In other words, discussing children in this manner is off-limits.

If anything, this affords an opportunity to comment on just how badly David Letterman's show sucks. There's nothing more embarrassing than watching someone who was once at the top of their profession stay in the game too long. He's losing ratings and has lost

his time slot. It seems to me he is losing his better judgement as well.

well said, steve.

If you said my 14 year-old daughter got knocked up by A-Rod, even as a joke, I'd at the very least expect an apology. I'd also give the joke writer some unpaid time off to think about it. I know they picked on Amy Carter, Chelsea Clinton, and the Bush daughters, but not in this way. This was just rude. And I echo the sentiments of anyone who asserts that he would never say such a thing about Obama's girls.

You're tired Dave. You haven't been relevant in a decade. At least Johnny knew how to go out in style.

Top Ten Reasons I don't give a shit about Letterman:

1. He was funnier when he was drinking

2. Shatner wants his toupee back

3. Doesn't have a teenage daughter I can say indecent things about

4. Anton Fig gets scale

5. Paul Shaffer should never have left SNL

6. GE Smith used to screw Gilda Radner (another reason Paul..nevermind)

7. Chris Elliot graduated from "Guy under the stairs" to Groundhog Day

8. Larry "Bud" Mellman is dead

9. Will Lee has to play hip hop bumper music

10. Used to be funny before you switched to CBS

Ev, you always say it right. Thanks for the laugh, too! ;)

I don't think most people would expect an apology if someone joked that their daughter had sex with A rod. because the joke isn't even believable. It's a unrealistic joke not to be taken seriously.

Palin is grasping at straws. And Dave had no reason to apologize other than to correct Palin.

Dave is still the funniest dude on late Night and the joke was funny. If Palin and her family can't take jokes then tough.

And johnny was not above making what some people believe are questionable jokes. He made fun of people's weight and sexuality.

Let me guess Spats. Palin's daughter isn't hot enough on the Spats-o-meter, and should be grateful for the attention. Right?

Oh, and as someone who's had the "joy" of reading your drivel over the last 3 years (are you even into Zeppelin?), don't waste your time saying I'm judging you without evidence.

In my estimation, you are the most successful troll in history. Congratulations.

Let me guess Spats. Palin's daughter isn't hot enough on the Spats-o-meter, and should be grateful for the attention. Right?

Oh, and as someone who's had the "joy" of reading your drivel over the last 3 years (are you even into Zeppelin?), don't waste your time saying I'm judging you without evidence.

In my estimation, you are the most successful troll in history. Congratulations.

Instead of insulting me can't you talk about the topic at hand? I gave my opinion about the situation and you are wrong about Johnny Carson.

If dave had insulted the girls looks or something that would be a different story. That would out have been out of line. The joke was more at the the expense of A rod than anyone.

I don't think most people would expect an apology if someone joked that their daughter had sex with A rod. because the joke isn't even believable. It's a unrealistic joke not to be taken seriously.

Palin is grasping at straws. And Dave had no reason to apologize other than to correct Palin.

Dave is still the funniest dude on late Night and the joke was funny. If Palin and her family can't take jokes then tough.

And johnny was not above making what some people believe are questionable jokes. He made fun of people's weight and sexuality.

That is a good point.

I still think that the joke was in very poor taste though.

I doubt that either of the daughters thought it was in the least bit funny, unless either one actually is interested in the guy, which I also doubt.

But you know yourself that you get upset when girls make fun of you, so I am certain that you can sympathize with the ladies.

That is a good point.

I still think that the joke was in very poor taste though.

I doubt that either of the daughters thought it was in the least bit funny, unless either one actually is interested in the guy, which I also doubt.

But you know yourself that you get upset when girls make fun of you, so I am certain that you can sympathize with the ladies.

I wouldn't get upset if someone joked about me banging someone. If it was about my looks it would be a different story. And if Dave had made fun of the girls looks i would say it was uncalled for.

I wouldn't get upset if someone joked about me banging someone. If it was about my looks it would be a different story. And if Dave had made fun of the girls looks i would say it was uncalled for.

I think that the joke was saying in fun that one of them had been impregnated ('knocked up') by the guy at the game, in a kidding manner, not being serious.

I understand that 'banging' means something slightly different, not necessarily causing someone to become pregnant.

Had he been serious, and named one of the girls specifically, that would make it different.

Also, it might have been considered the equivalent of a dread disease having an unwanted pregnancy out of wedlock.

If the statement about pregnancy had also been untrue, then there might have been a little more argument about whether that was okay to say at all, if it had not been a joke made about a public figure, and had been made on television and broadcast to millions live on the air.

Arguably the daughters are public figures along with their political candidate mother, though maybe not quite so much.

And certainly it is wise even for public figures to protect themselves from unwanted attention.

One of the actresses (I forget which one) told a film actor when her feelings were hurt by some callous comments that he made, that she was hurt and deeply offended.

People can be very inconsiderate when it isn't always funny to everyone.

If anyone would have a right to complain about the statement from David Letterman, it would be Bristol Palin, especially if what he said about her would be considered the equivalent of a dreaded disease and were untrue.

In this case it would be untrue, unless he can prove that she had sex with that guy. He won't bother to prove that, because he was kidding.

The problem is, she is somewhat of a public figure and he was joking, not being serious.

So, it is protected free speech, however loathsome, despicable and below the belt it might be.

It started when Letterman made a joke on his late night show this week that one of Palin's daughters had been "knocked up" by Alex Rodriguez at a New York Yankees game. He later acknowledged that the joke was in poor taste, but said he was referring to 18-year-old Bristol Palin, an unwed mother.

boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/06/13/palin_defends_her_daughter_vs_letterman_joke

Re: It wasn't the 14 year old he told the sex joke about, it was the 18 year old.

Fine enough. He tells a joke about a daughter of a politician he hates having sex in a dugout with her mother attending the game, and it turns out the one at the game was the 14 year old.

Here is what you do. Once you find out you "accidentally" made a joke about a 14 year old having illicit sex at a baseball game you immediately set the record straight. Like through your publicist a nanosecond after you find this out.

Here is what Letterman did. He waited 48 hours to clarify which daughter he was demeaning. The day following the "joke" he was fully aware of his gaffe. He didn't correct it. In fact, he made another sex joke about a Palin daughter (I'm not sure which one). Once the backlash reached fever pitch two days after his offense, then he let us all know it was a case of mistaken identity, and it's ridiculous for us to think otherwise.

I'm not too sure it wasn't Willow he was talking about. Any decent person who understood the seriousness of statutory rape wouldn't have let it go that long.

Re: It wasn't the 14 year old he told the sex joke about, it was the 18 year old.

Fine enough. He tells a joke about a daughter of a politician he hates having sex in a dugout with her mother attending the game, and it turns out the one at the game was the 14 year old.

Here is what you do. Once you find out you "accidentally" made a joke about a 14 year old having illicit sex at a baseball game you immediately set the record straight. Like through your publicist a nanosecond after you find this out.

Here is what Letterman did. He waited 48 hours to clarify which daughter he was demeaning. The day following the "joke" he was fully aware of his gaffe. He didn't correct it. In fact, he made another sex joke about a Palin daughter (I'm not sure which one). Once the backlash reached fever pitch two days after his offense, then he let us all know it was a case of mistaken identity, and it's ridiculous for us to think otherwise.

I'm not too sure it wasn't Willow he was talking about. Any decent person who understood the seriousness of statutory rape wouldn't have let it go that long.

There was no statutory rape.

No there wasn't. There was only a 14 year-old girl who has to go to school now being the "girl knocked up by A-Rod" in a comedy sketch. 14 is a very delicate time for most girls. The implication is she was "fucked in a dugout". And peers can be vicious. The poor child. Personally I'd rather be privately raped than publicly fucked.

It isn't even about Letterman anymore. Now that poor kid has to endure "How was A-Rod?" for the rest of her teenage life, while she's just developing that thick second skin we all finally get.

Humiliation might not be rape, but it fucking hurts. It can be soul destroying. The children of the politicians are not politicians. They have not voluntarily entered the public forum. They've been dragged into it. Therefore they should be off limits to the media.

It was callous and inconsiderate of him to make such a vile joke, even if he was being good-natured about it.

He probably thought that he was being glib, edgy and cute.

He managed to come off as offensive more than anything, at least from my point of view.

I guess some people thought it was funny, but I can see where the daughters would not.

No there wasn't. There was only a 14 year-old girl who has to go to school now being the "girl knocked up by A-Rod" in a comedy sketch. 14 is a very delicate time for most girls. The implication is she was "fucked in a dugout". And peers can be vicious. The poor child. Personally I'd rather be privately raped than publicly fucked.

It isn't even about Letterman anymore. Now that poor kid has to endure "How was A-Rod?" for the rest of her teenage life, while she's just developing that thick second skin we all finally get.

Humiliation might not be rape, but it fucking hurts. It can be soul destroying. The children of the politicians are not politicians. They have not voluntarily entered the public forum. They've been dragged into it. Therefore they should be off limits to the media.

i am so overwhelmed by the irresponsibility of dumbass letterman, i never even stopped to ponder how this may all roll out in willow's young teenage life, which is already compromised being the daughter of a politician, and one that has taken a beating from the media, no less.

i watched matt lauer's interview with sarah palin on friday, and i absolutely agreed with everything she had to say regarding the letterman drama....with that "joke" he is perpetuating this unacceptable "thread in our culture", as she put it, that its okay to exploit women and children.

i don't know how we got here as a culture, after all that has been done with women's rights, we are still looked at as sexual objects and disrespected by men. this frightens me as the mom of a daughter. i know my son will never have to deal with this kind of unfairness in his life...but my daughter will come across it time and again. its a sad truth. and let me say this, it all starts with how we raise our sons....and if i do anything as a parent, i am teaching my son to show kindness and respect to all people, but women in particular.

How is this shocking? Ever since Palin's daughter became knocked up in the public eye, graced the covers of magazines, swooned with Oprah..yadda yadda yadda, how is this off-limits?

Coming from the same spectrum of those who need to know everything about everyone's personal lives..ahh..American voyeurism continues to thrive.

The dumbing down of society continues.

i am so overwhelmed by the irresponsibility of dumbass letterman, i never even stopped to ponder how this may all roll out in willow's young teenage life, which is already compromised being the daughter of a politician, and one that has taken a beating from the media, no less.

i watched matt lauer's interview with sarah palin on friday, and i absolutely agreed with everything she had to say regarding the letterman drama....with that "joke" he is perpetuating this unacceptable "thread in our culture", as she put it, that its okay to exploit women and children.

i don't know how we got here as a culture, after all that has been done with women's rights, we are still looked at as sexual objects and disrespected by men. this frightens me as the mom of a daughter. i know my son will never have to deal with this kind of unfairness in his life...but my daughter will come across it time and again. its a sad truth. and let me say this, it all starts with how we raise our sons....and if i do anything as a parent, i am teaching my son to show kindness and respect to all people, but women in particular.

Women contribute to it to. There are millions of women who willing exploit themselves. Look at any magazine cover. or watch any tv or movie. Those women are not forced to do what they do.

And more and more men are treated badly and disrespected as well. I have talked about it in the past the amount of male bashing that goes on. Women look at men as sex objects too.

I didn't say there was. There was a joke about it (sex between a 14 year old and adult is always statutory rape), intentional or not. The fact that Letterman waited that long to clarify who the joke was about is proof that he is a creep. This is in part sad because in the 1980s Letterman's program was simply brilliant, the best on television. His transformation into a lechorous and bitter old man, not the least bit funny, has been cringe inducing.

And has anyone noticed the irony of the "slutty flight attendant joke". He used the term "slutty" without hesitation, but refrained from saying "stewardess", because that would be politically incorrect and offensive. What a strange culture we live in.

How's it going "cryingbluerain?" David Letterman will say anything in order to get his ratings higher. Letterman did the same thing with Hillary Clinton and even dared her to come on his show. Guess what? Hillary Clinton DARED to go on his show and shut him up, END OF STORY! If Sarah Palin wants to shut David Letterman up or demand an apology, she needs to go on his show and make him apologize live on American TV. Doing this, it'll shut Letterman up. ROCK ON!

Archived