Is Obama Ignorant, Naive or Both?

SteveAJones

Ahmadinejad calls Obama meddler, likens him to Bush

updated 12:48 p.m. EDT, Thu June 25, 2009

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday called the U.S. president inexperienced, compared him unfavorably to President George W. Bush and suggested he apologize for "interfering in Iran's affairs."

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad lashed out at President Obama on Thursday.

"Do you think that this kind of behavior is going to solve any of your problems? It will only make people think you are someone like Bush," the semiofficial Fars news agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

"You are at the beginning of your way and you are gaining experience, and we do not wish the scandals of the Bush era to be repeated during your term of office," the Iranian leader said.

President Obama, who has been in office for five months, has been treading a careful line on Iran, which has seen two weeks of street demonstrations following a disputed presidential election there. Watch how U.S.-Iran relations got to this point

Pro-government security forces have cracked down on the protests, with officials saying 17 people have died. Unofficial reports suggest the number is much higher.

Official results gave Ahmadinejad a 2-to-1 victory over his nearest rival, former Prime Minister Mir Hossein Moussavi. Moussavi says the results were rigged.

Obama has said Iranians must be free to demonstrate peacefully, and his administration Wednesday withdrew invitations to Iranian diplomats around the world to attend U.S. embassy Fourth of July parties.

The extension of invitations last month was seen as a cautious outreach to Iran, which has not had diplomatic relations with Washington for 30 years.

Obama wrote secretly to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, before the election, Iranian sources confirmed Wednesday.

Obama said Tuesday that Iran's government must justify itself not in the eyes of the United States, but in the opinion of its own people.

"A sizable percentage of the Iranian people themselves ... consider this election illegitimate," he said at a White House news conference.

"It is not too late for the Iranian government to recognize that there is a peaceful path that will lead to stability and prosperity," he said. "We hope they take it."

Ahmadinejad said Thursday that even 5- and 6-year-olds would not allow insults to the Iranian nation, telling Obama: "We hope that you will avoid interfering in Iran's affairs and somehow express your regret so that the Iranian nation can become aware of your regret. If there is real change, the Iranian nation will welcome it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, Iranian government has publicly stated that Obama can go fuck himself.

In other words, Iranian government has publicly stated that Obama can go fuck himself.

No, one guy--who is only too aware of how shaky his rule is--publicly stated that, in order to sound like a tough guy. He's only in charge because of a rigged election and the support of the Ayatollah, and the world knows it. How do weak people react when their backs are against the wall? By lashing out at stronger people and claiming it's all their fault. It makes them look pathetic, and has no detrimental effect on perceptions of Obama at all.

Tough luck, Mahmoud. Now free those journalists, and we might have a higher opinion of your dictatorship government.

^^Of course he (Ahmadinejad) does. Even when it's his own people it will be our doing. And people think we run the spin machine.

The fact the Iranians, and not the U.S., leaked that Obama had written to Khamenei prior to election is further public insult to Obama & shows nothing but contempt for him.

I voted for Obama because of what I thought of as a catastrophe of the Bush administration. Now I want the Bush administration back. Obama is Bush on steroids. He's put the country in further debt, taken the Bush spy policies like the phone stuff and made them bigger and he's yet to even really get plans to move out of Iraq which was the biggest problem with that administration. He's made all the problems we have had in America actually worse and he wants to make it to where we won't even get health care? You watch what happens after this health care stuff gets passed and funded. The death rate in the US will sky rocket. Within 10 years after his administration we probably won't have much of a US left. Certainly not the strongest nation in the world we once were.

^^Of course he (Ahmadinejad) does. Even when it's his own people it will be our doing. And people think we run the spin machine.

We are talking about an educated society in Iran and well versed in the means of attaining the will of the people. The clerics have not moved with the times and their choice for president is an embarassment to every day normal Iranians This is not about appealing to the west. This is about Iranians determining their own destiny. The deaths are unfortunate but let's not jump the gun just yet. We may not have to and the question still remains, do the people of Iran want us to. My guess is that any sort of interference, at this point, will only serve the clerics and justify their stance against moving towards a modern society that benefits everyone.

I voted for Obama because of what I thought of as a catastrophe of the Bush administration. Now I want the Bush administration back. Obama is Bush on steroids. He's put the country in further debt, taken the Bush spy policies like the phone stuff and made them bigger and he's yet to even really get plans to move out of Iraq which was the biggest problem with that administration. He's made all the problems we have had in America actually worse and he wants to make it to where we won't even get health care? You watch what happens after this health care stuff gets passed and funded. The death rate in the US will sky rocket. Within 10 years after his administration we probably won't have much of a US left. Certainly not the strongest nation in the world we once were.

I think a lot of people are starting to think the way you do.

Pessimism Rising Despite Obama's Popularity

You're right on the money. I just wish people would get past this two-party bullshit and vote independent.

It appears I was wrong on the Iraq stuff as we appear to have left there finally, but the rest of my statements still stand.

Nick, RA and anyone else who chooses to read this post. You must remember that Iran is full of intellectuals. Not a stupid country of backward hillbillies. This is a viable nation that does not need to be saved by anyone. Let the people of Iran determine their own destiny. I think it's time we in the west learned that we cannot determine it for them any more than they can determine it for us.

People will die in their conflict. Let's not overreact to the western perspective of the situation at hand.....we've already done that and it has gotten us nowhere.

Iran is where all of our mideast troubles began and where they will eventually need to end...

one way or the other.

And since a ground war in Iran is probably not an option (Persians actually can fight unlike Arabs), Obama should have known that he needed to step up the political pressure at such a key point in history... an oppourtunity soon to be missed.

Throwing soft balls after the media pressure made him look bad in the polls is no way to deal with tyrants. But since Obama obviously doesn't have it in himslef to be like a Reagan or a Roosevelt in the time national/global peril... we all loose. Especially the Iranian people.

Iran is where all of our mideast troubles began and where they will eventually need to end...

one way or the other.

And since a ground war in Iran is probably not an option (Persians actually can fight unlike Arabs), Obama should have known that he needed to step up the political pressure at such a key point in history... an oppourtunity soon to be missed.

Throwing soft balls after the media pressure made him look bad in the polls is no way to deal with tyrants. But since Obama obviously doesn't have it in himslef to be like a Reagan or a Roosevelt in the time national/global peril... we all loose. Especially the Iranian people.

First off. it's great to see you back Del. Hope you choose to stick around :beer:

On topic, My goal would be to see a long lasting democracy be established in Iran but I would like to see it be a decision that is made by the people of Iran and don't see how a viable democracy can be achieved unless it comes through the will of the people. A puppet democracy in the end would only serve to foster more anti western sentiment and make the area more volitile

First off. it's great to see you back Del. Hope you choose to stick around :beer:

Just popped in and saw some people I knew. Great to see you as well Allister my man.

On topic, My goal would be to see a long lasting democracy be established in Iran but I would like to see it be a decision that is made by the people of Iran and don't see how a viable democracy can be achieved unless it comes through the will of the people. A puppet democracy in the end would only serve to foster more anti western sentiment and make the area more volitile

I believe at this point the people of Iran are ready for a change. I am not convinced that a democracy would ever occur there however, short of a full scale revolution. But any change from the current regime would be better. If Iran continues down the path they are on now, there will be war. First with Israel and then the United States. And Russia will not stay out of this fight either. We already saw last year what happened when they felt threatened by events in Georgia.

Putting pressure on Iran, or at least giving dissedents inside Iran some hope was all Obama needed to do. Sitting on the fence for weeks and weeks while not taking a moral stand for the winds of change inside Iran was foolish.

It was not the mark of great Democratic leader.

But we can't force democracy on a nation, nor is it our business to. Or is it? :slapface:

Nice to see you back Del. I assume you've brought your Louisville Slugger to the table. ;)

or 357 mag. Whichever. ;)

I am a lover not a fighter Ev.

Besides, after I got out of prison I hooked up with Manders for a few months and she shagged me into a new man.

I'm sure she sent you photos as well.

But we can't force democracy on a nation, nor is it our business to. Or is it? :slapface:

Nice to see you back Del. I assume you've brought your Louisville Slugger to the table. ;)

or 357 mag. Whichever. ;)

I don't believe that we can force anything down peoples throats withoiut a negative reaction coming with it. On the other hand, If we're being threatened then I say all bets are off. A demoicracy in itself will not guarantee anything. It may make some events against the west less likely in our minds

and give us a nice fuzzy warm feeling but hatred is hatred. Democracy on it's own won't stop that

I don't believe that we can force anything down peoples throats withoiut a negative reaction coming with it. On the other hand, If we're being threatened then I say all bets are off. A demoicracy in itself will not guarantee anything. It may make some events against the west less likely in our minds

and give us a nice fuzzy warm feeling but hatred is hatred. Democracy on it's own won't stop that

If we're threatened I say fuck em. I'm not threatening to wipe anyone off the face of the globe, but I'm just one insignificant voice. Bottom line is, no one's telling the American people that god has dictated that we must destroy anyone. Clearly we can manage that on our own if need be. But I believe in my heart that the majority of people in this country can discern between the will of the government and the will of god. There's just not a lot we can do about it. We can vote. It's pretty clear how that's worked out for us. History will decide in the end. I'm not optomistic about anything these days.

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,

blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter,

come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.

Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,

rode on the steel breeze.

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,

come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

A democracy isn't even what our forefathers wanted for this country. In fact they feared a democracy. They wanted a republic there's a huge difference.

If Iran and North Korea continue to try and develop nukes, it would be wrong to stay out of their business and hope the people overturn them. That's the same mentality that allowed Hitler to basically take over Europe. I think eventually there will have to be action taken against those countries before things get out of hand. I'm not sure if America can do that right now because of what the democrats are doing to the economy and the people, basically complete gutting it. But someone will have to do something about those countries.

Nick, RA and anyone else who chooses to read this post. You must remember that Iran is full of intellectuals. Not a stupid country of backward hillbillies. This is a viable nation that does not need to be saved by anyone. Let the people of Iran determine their own destiny. I think it's time we in the west learned that we cannot determine it for them any more than they can determine it for us.

People will die in their conflict. Let's not overreact to the western perspective of the situation at hand.....we've already done that and it has gotten us nowhere.

Can't argue there. And we really do have bigger fish to fry, RIGHT HERE AT HOME.

I'm very thankful that Mr. Obama has taken the stance he has in Iran. The media likes to paint this picture that if Obama took some type of Reaganesque stance against the current Iran regime, democracy would take over and rule the day. How Naive. What the media doesn't want to share with you, and what Obama already knows, is that over 90% of the people in Iran are in favor of their country having nuclear capability. Those educated young folks under 30 that you keep hearing about may be for Democracy, but they are also the strongest supporters of an Iran with nuclear power. With Pakistan and India having nukes to the East, and Isreal having nukes to their West, most young Irnians feel it is their right to go nuclear.

Behind the scenes, the U.S. is exporting more goods to Iran than ever before in the form of medicine, food, and our beloved cigarettes. Iranians love a good American smoke. Ultimately, it is the Iranian people that must decide their fate and place in the world.

Archived