Robert Palmer/Elkie Brooks-Vinegar Joe

L 7

I just love love this group and it seems Elkie Brooks was the perfect foil for the late-great Robert Palmer.

Elkie Brooks-often touted as the U.K. Janis Joplin can hit the high notes only a dog can hear.

I was just checking for any other opinions as this is one of my favorite bands than was "Almost Famous".

Proud To be A Honky Woman is a great song.

I just love love this group and it seems Elkie Brooks was the perfect foil for the late-great Robert Palmer.

Elkie Brooks-often touted as the U.K. Janis Joplin can hit the high notes only a dog can hear.

I was just checking for any other opinions as this is one of my favorite bands than was "Almost Famous".

Proud To be A Honky Woman is a great song.

I really liked Vinegar Joe. I saw them in 1972 :o

I really liked Vinegar Joe. I saw them in 1972 :o

Thanks ledded1, wish I could say that.

I am just reduce to youtubes clips of Vinegar Joe. They were much more famous in the UK and never caught on here like Robert Palmer did.

I see Elkie Brooks is still touring.

Yeah and I don't think Robert Palmer caught on ANYWHERE like he deserved to until "Addicted To Love", which is a damn shame. I still play his albums constantly - "Double Fun" is an alltime fave. I love Vinegar Joe too and Elkie Brooks is a star. Nice thread idea. :beer:

I love Vinegar Joe! I really need to look into more Robert Palmer. Think he has a fantastic voice but to be honest, all I really know is the hits radio played. Anyone who has some recommendations I'd be greatly appreciative :)

Yeah and I don't think Robert Palmer caught on ANYWHERE like he deserved to until "Addicted To Love", which is a damn shame. I still play his albums constantly - "Double Fun" is an alltime fave. I love Vinegar Joe too and Elkie Brooks is a star. Nice thread idea. :beer:

I believe Doctor Doctor from 1979-ish was his first American hit.

Didn`t Elkie Brooks have a minor hit in the UK about 1967?

And what ever happened to Pete Gage, a great guitarist in his own right.

I have to admit I don`t own any Robert Palmer cds but am looking to buy Six-Star general by Vinegar Joe.

I have to admit I don`t own any Robert Palmer cds but am looking to buy Six-Star general by Vinegar Joe.

I remember that song but I don't think I had any awareness of who it was. I first came to know Palmer from "Addicted To Love"

I remember that song but I don't think I had any awareness of who it was. I first came to know Palmer from "Addicted To Love"

Yes and who can forget the Palmer girls from the video. Greatest video of all time next to Peter Gabriel`s Sledghammer.

Don`t forget about Simply Irresistible either.

Two long lived and well loved albums are Sneakin Sally through the alley and Pressure drop. :D

I can recommend the self titled Vinegar Joe and Rock n roll Gypsies albums and there's also a good live at the bbc show around also :thumbsup:

First song I ever recall hearing by him is Doctor, Doctor. Can't say I was ever much of a fan of his 80s work (with or without Power Station). If I'm not mistaken, he's backed by most (if not all) of Little Feat on his Sneaking Sally Through the Alley album.

Two long lived and well loved albums are Sneakin Sally through the alley and Pressure drop. :D

Thanks for the tip and keep the change!

First song I ever recall hearing by him is Doctor, Doctor. Can't say I was ever much of a fan of his 80s work (with or without Power Station). If I'm not mistaken, he's backed by most (if not all) of Little Feat on his Sneaking Sally Through the Alley album.

I had forgotten about Power Sation. They did the T-Rex cover of Bang A Gong.

Wasn`t Andy Taylor of Duran Duran in this group?

I know Palmer had minor hits such as "Doctor Doctor" and "Every Kinda People" in the US and UK over the years, but my point was he didn't become well-known and "mainstream" until "Addicted To Love" - this is certainly reflected in his tour and album sales. And I'm certain the guys from Duran Duran would never have considered him for their project prior to this.

Elkie Brooks had several UK hits in the 70s - "Pearl's a Singer" and the Jeff Buckley-covered "Lilac Wine" for example. I have no idea if these crossed the Atlantic or not.

And yeah Jahfin you are right about Little Feat - that's actually what first sparked my interest in them way back then. Palmer was such a hero of mine.

I've had Sneakin Sally Through the Alley since 81.A friend of mine turned me onto that record and I had to have it! I still listen to it when I have a Robert Palmer jones. :D

Would love to check out some Elkie Brooks/Vinegar Joe

"Waiting For Columbus" is a great Little Feat record(s). You can't help liking this band...

I've had Sneakin Sally Through the Alley since 81.A friend of mine turned me onto that record and I had to have it! I still listen to it when I have a Robert Palmer jones. :D

Would love to check out some Elkie Brooks/Vinegar Joe

"Waiting For Columbus" is a great Little Feat record(s). You can't help liking this band...

I just ordered Sneakin Sally :D Can't wait to listen!

• 3 years later...

I'm pushing this thread up because I've discovered Vinegar Joe in the last few months, after seeing them on a BBC compilation type show, and I think they were great. Elkie still tours apparently and still has that amazing voice by all accounts. If I could choose to sing like anyone it'd be her :)

Archived