Japan Shows

Walter

I was wondering which Japan show was the best Zeppelin show they played there? It could be based on set list, quality of recording or just the best vibe. Which do you think? Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I only have a copy of Fatally Wanderer. Sound is pretty good, it is a matrix, especially with the acoustic songs. My favorite versions of Going To California, Celebration Day, Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown are from this show.

Which is the best sounding version of 29/09/1971? Is there a lot of difference between Noise Generator and Fatally Wanderer?

Ive gone through many versions because this bootleg is listed as one of the best and the audio quality never seemed good enough for that to be true. The vocals are barely audible when the instruments are rockin hard, and with the mic on the stage as rumored, this makes sense. But I ended up settling on Fatally Wonderer, and when you listen to this show as a whole you get used to the quality and you can really enjoy it, as it is very good. But still I dont think this quality is good enough for me to give this show to someone who does not have many or any bootlegs and have them not complain...

Obviously I'd preffer a 75 SB standard release of 29/9 but personally I really like the main recording dispite it being less than perfect. For the last hour of the show espeically the in your face bass/drum heavy sound really helps to get the power of the performance across IMHO, next to NQ/TU from 27/3/75 thats definately my most listened to part of any Zep boot.

Ive gone through many versions because this bootleg is listed as one of the best and the audio quality never seemed good enough for that to be true. The vocals are barely audible when the instruments are rockin hard, and with the mic on the stage as rumored, this makes sense. But I ended up settling on Fatally Wonderer, and when you listen to this show as a whole you get used to the quality and you can really enjoy it, as it is very good. But still I dont think this quality is good enough for me to give this show to someone who does not have many or any bootlegs and have them not complain...

I have the 929 boot and it sounds terrible. One of the worst boot qualities I have of Zep...I have heard the "Friends" soundboard from the same show and it is fantastic. Where's the rest of the recording? How much of the soundboard was released?

I have the 929 boot and it sounds terrible. One of the worst boot qualities I have of Zep...I have heard the "Friends" soundboard from the same show and it is fantastic. Where's the rest of the recording? How much of the soundboard was released?

The "soundboard" covers pretty much the entire show bar a few cuts.

I wouldnt say the old 929 source is that bad but if you don't like the soundboards drum/cymbal heavy mix then I'd try to find the alternative 929 source TDOLZ released a decade ago, only covers the first 2/3rds of the show but it sounds alot clearer if still a little distant.

The "soundboard" covers pretty much the entire show bar a few cuts.

I wouldnt say the old 929 source is that bad but if you don't like the soundboards drum/cymbal heavy mix then I'd try to find the alternative 929 source TDOLZ released a decade ago, only covers the first 2/3rds of the show but it sounds alot clearer if still a little distant.

Thanks...Are you listening Jimmy Page? We need the live recordings of Japan now!!

Could it be Jimmys constant need for perfection that stops him releasing more live stuff?

After all, every show he's put out he's felt the need to edit somehow.

Wish he'd just give us the Japan box set warts n all!

29.9 is my fave although i luv everything ive heard from that tour

There was no soundboard released for that show. It's an amazing audience. Legend says that Zeppelin did record soundboards for those shows but they were destroyed by Jimmy Page.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just got the Fatally Wanderer Definitive Version (Wendy) and it is much better than Cellarful of Noise (Noise Generator). I am listening to D&C from FWDV and it's much clearer than CoN.

I also have the 10/2/72 show. I thought it was "Eastern Front" (Great Dane), but after some research, I now think it's "No Use Greco" (Tarantura). Whatever it is, it sounds great! I also just got "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" (Empress Valley), but I haven't had time to compare it to "No Use Greco".

Archived