RE: O2 - Warning to those who don't have tickets

Hi me beauties.

I thought I would give you a heads-up about the situation regarding the security controls enforced at the O2 complex in general, even before you introduce the addition measures being introduced for the lads' show.

The security arrangements for the O2 are like none for any other existing entertainment venue in London, i.e. Brixton Academy, Wembley Arena, the Astoria, The Forum and Hammersmith Apollo, etc.

The concourse area from the perimeter of the North Greenwich Underground station and car parks, right up to the doors to the outer O2 complex, are the property of the company that own the O2.

This means that they employ their own private security contractor (I believe Group 4 Security), to patrol the external land around the complex and the internal precinct that surrounds the main Arena itself. This is not that unusual in itself, but the rules and policies they implement are. Some of the security personnel are easily identified as O2 staff, but many are incognito in plain civilian clothing.

Having been to the O2 a number of times, I was perplexed that there were no ticket touts/vendors/scalpers to be found in the open pedestrian concourse from the Tube station to the perimeter of the complex. If you go to a lot of gigs in London you get to recognise these "ticket reseller professionals," as the same people work most of the concerts.

One night I asked of the O2 staff stationed in the open concourse why this was the case. It turned out he was the supervisor responsible for the security arrangements, so well placed to explain. As all the land is private, as previously alluded to, they are permitted to evict from their property unauthorised people found to be selling tickets to members of the public and if appropriate have them arrested by the Metropolitan Police officers also in attendance. Ticket touts/vendors/scalpers being aware of this will not risk trying to do business at the O2.

Many of you may be thrilled to read this about the O2 regime, but it has its downside as there is no hope in hell of you getting into a gig there if you have not purchased a ticket from an official ticket outlet/agency/vendor. In the past, the only way I have managed to get into some high-in-demand gigs is to buy a ticket off those much derided ticket touts/vendors/scalpers at above face value.

However, the O2 policy goes even further...... even if you are an ordinary member of the public who has a spare ticket, because a relative/friend has let you down at the last minute and you just want to sell it on to another fan at the venue, who doesn't have a ticket, you are not permitted to sell it on the O2 property. If you are observed doing to by O2 security, they will confiscate your ticket/s if you are lucky, but there is the possibility you could be arrested and charges for selling on tickets. This rule applies even if you try and sell a ticket for face value.

A case in point found me at one of the Prince shows with a spare ticket. Knowing about this zero-tolerance policy, I thought it would be okay to give my spare to another fan standing in the box office queue (who was hoping for returns on a sold out show), for free. Within a few minutes of doing so, a man approached me (who turned out to be O2 security staff in plain cloths) and asked me if I had any tickets for sale, to which I said no, I just had a spare that I gave to someone in the box office queue. He looked at me with a circumspect, distrustful gaze and then asked the person I had given it to if I had asked for or been given money for the ticket. Thankfully, I was telling the truth, but the O2 security hombre still wasn't happy about it and I am sure would have gone in for the kill if I had asked the lucky person for money.

So, I would say that if you are one of the unlucky people without a ticket who is aspiring to go down to the O2 on 9th or 10th, hoping to score a spare ticket off someone who has been left in the lurch one or meet someone you have already agreed to buy a ticket off and intend to pay them on the day, or heaven forbid procure one from a ticket tout/vendor/scalper (all of which contravenes the terms of conditions of the passcodes and ticket purchased as issued by the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, the promoter and Ticketmaster), either:

1. Forget the whole idea.

2. Meet the person in advance at a location out with the O2 property, somewhere else in London.

3. Be very, very careful and undertake the transaction extremely discretely inside one of the pubs/bars within the O2 complex (NOT RECOMMENDED, as they have there own security over and above that of the O2 proper).

Hope this helps.

Indi.

P.S.

The Pilot Inn is a cracking pub close to the venue is a great place to hangout with fellow fans and is only 5 minutes walk, doen past the David Beckham Academy. It is quite small, so it will fill up quickly. I recommended this as a gathering place to Dave Lewis from Tight But Loose.

Hi me beauties.

I thought I would give you a heads-up about the situation regarding the security controls enforced at the O2 complex in general, even before you introduce the addition measures being introduced for the lads' show.

The security arrangements for the O2 are like none for any other existing entertainment venue in London, i.e. Brixton Academy, Wembley Arena, the Astoria, The Forum and Hammersmith Apollo, etc.

The concourse area from the perimeter of the North Greenwich Underground station and car parks, right up to the doors to the outer O2 complex, are the property of the company that own the O2.

This means that they employ their own private security contractor (I believe Group 4 Security), to patrol the external land around the complex and the internal precinct that surrounds the main Arena itself. This is not that unusual in itself, but the rules and policies they implement are. Some of the security personnel are easily identified as O2 staff, but many are incognito in plain civilian clothing.

Having been to the O2 a number of times, I was perplexed that there were no ticket touts/vendors/scalpers to be found in the open pedestrian concourse from the Tube station to the perimeter of the complex. If you go to a lot of gigs in London you get to recognise these "ticket reseller professionals," as the same people work most of the concerts.

One night I asked of the O2 staff stationed in the open concourse why this was the case. It turned out he was the supervisor responsible for the security arrangements, so well placed to explain. As all the land is private, as previously alluded to, they are permitted to evict from their property unauthorised people found to be selling tickets to members of the public and if appropriate have them arrested by the Metropolitan Police officers also in attendance. Ticket touts/vendors/scalpers being aware of this will not risk trying to do business at the O2.

Many of you may be thrilled to read this about the O2 regime, but it has its downside as there is no hope in hell of you getting into a gig there if you have not purchased a ticket from an official ticket outlet/agency/vendor. In the past, the only way I have managed to get into some high-in-demand gigs is to buy a ticket off those much derided ticket touts/vendors/scalpers at above face value.

However, the O2 policy goes even further...... even if you are an ordinary member of the public who has a spare ticket, because a relative/friend has let you down at the last minute and you just want to sell it on to another fan at the venue, who doesn't have a ticket, you are not permitted to sell it on the O2 property. If you are observed doing to by O2 security, they will confiscate your ticket/s if you are lucky, but there is the possibility you could be arrested and charges for selling on tickets. This rule applies even if you try and sell a ticket for face value.

A case in point found me at one of the Prince shows with a spare ticket. Knowing about this zero-tolerance policy, I thought it would be okay to give my spare to another fan standing in the box office queue (who was hoping for returns on a sold out show), for free. Within a few minutes of doing so, a man approached me (who turned out to be O2 security staff in plain cloths) and asked me if I had any tickets for sale, to which I said no, I just had a spare that I gave to someone in the box office queue. He looked at me with a circumspect, distrustful gaze and then asked the person I had given it to if I had asked for or been given money for the ticket. Thankfully, I was telling the truth, but the O2 security hombre still wasn't happy about it and I am sure would have gone in for the kill if I had asked the lucky person for money.

So, I would say that if you are one of the unlucky people without a ticket who is aspiring to go down to the O2 on 9th or 10th, hoping to score a spare ticket off someone who has been left in the lurch one or meet someone you have already agreed to buy a ticket off and intend to pay them on the day, or heaven forbid procure one from a ticket tout/vendor/scalper, either:

1. Forget the whole idea.

2. Meet the person in advance at a location out with the O2 property,

somewhere else in London.

3. Be very, very careful and undertake the transaction extremely discretely inside one of the pubs/bars within the O2 complex (NOT RECOMMENDED, as they have there own security over and above that of the O2 proper).

Hope this helps.

Indi.

P.S.

The Pilot Inn is a cracking pub close to the venue is a great place to hangout with fellow fans and is only 5 minutes walk, doen past the David Beckham Academy. It is quite small, so it will fill up quickly. I recommended this as a gathering place to Dave Lewis from Tight But Loose.

Thanks for the heads up as I think I am going to end up with an extra ticket that I would only sell at face value.....hate to have an empty seat inside but not about to risk getting in trouble....

Thanks for the heads up as I think I am going to end up with an extra ticket that I would only sell at face value.....hate to have an empty seat inside but not about to risk getting in trouble....

And I'm just wondering how many of those "empty seats" will be there the night of the show? So many stories of people with passcodes, but the credit card paid for the ticket is in someone elses name; or the main person who purchased the tickets can't go but the friend can and now has an available ticket; and then what Indi said earlier of high security and no one being able to sell their "spare ticket" at the venue.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Please let us know, everyone who is going, how the show was and how many empty seats are around you in the venue.

Maid

That makes me wonder if they will end up with any extra tickets no one has claimed at the box office?

and if so how do they go about deciding who gets to buy them at the last minute?

I mean by rights any left over tickets should go to people who were on the original lottery list shouldn't they?

That makes me wonder if they will end up with any extra tickets no one has claimed at the box office?

and if so how do they go about deciding who gets to buy them at the last minute?

I mean by rights any left over tickets should go to people who were on the original lottery list shouldn't they?

They did. Either that, or they were put into contests like iTunes.

If thats the case its worth for the people who haven't yet got tickets to go there on the night to see if they can get one !!

If thats the case its worth for the people who haven't yet got tickets to go there on the night to see if they can get one !!

Thats what I mean yea,

I'm sure there won't be many but.

It just seems so bloody complicated with wrist bands and everything.

If there are any "no shows" on the night it seems silly not to let someone buy up the spare places

These unclaimed tickets are already paid for...legally don't see how they can release these without refunding the original purchaser and they have said no refunds......

These unclaimed tickets are already paid for...legally don't see how they can release these without refunding the original purchaser and they have said no refunds......

O okay, I see.

well, I didn't know that- not having been one of the chosen few, I don't have the instructions.

It's just all the talk about queing- up -for- wristbands -with -credit- card -in -hand that made me think you paid at the door once you proved your identity.

Cor Guv- it's an awful lot of faffing about just to go to a rock gig int it?

:computertrash:

another reason to miss the old days!

I'd still go if I could though!!

I believe AEG owns the stadium, and if the security is like the security they have here at the Home Depot Center (our Football stadium) in Los Angeles they do not let to much get past them. I had an extra ticket to a football match that I got for free, and I gave it some one for free in line and got accused of scalping and just about didn't let me a season ticket holder go to the match.

I'm puzzled by the whole thing. Isn't there an area OUTSIDE the perimeter, where people arrive, where scalpers can hang-out?

It depends what you define as the "perimeter," which could be beyond the Tube and Bus station and car parks.

As I said, no scalpers that I normally come across outside London music venues, will bother with concerts at the O2, several I asked told me this and gave the obvious reasons, mentioned in my original post, let's say using more direct and colourful explanations.

Indi.

Archived