Pilgrimage Sites

Deborah J

Life is short, you should try to reach them:-) Do you stay in touch with them?

yes, we're still in touch.

I have been lucky, I have already met many of the friends I made on that board. :) We met here in Brazil, in England and in Germany. Still there are many I'd like to meet and certainly I'd love to meet up with the ones I have already met before. :)

I hope I do.

I don't think I'd ever make a pilgrimage for a band, not even LZ.

I don't really see anything the matter with it. Years ago Rolling Stone ran a piece on rock n' roll landmarks in the U.S. that was supposed to be like a suggested tour fans could take. As a Beatles fan I would love to visit Liverpool. I'm sure there's plenty of other sites to see and I would definitely take them in but the whole Beatles thing would be the draw for me. Being the big R.E.M. fan that I am, I have been to Athens, GA a number of times now. Being from the South, I get the feel of their music just from being a resident but I also found it very cool to visit the places I'd only read about such as the church where they first performed and lived (which is now just a steeple), the train trestle from the back of Murmur, Wuxtry Records, the 40 Watt Club, etc.

I don't really see anything the matter with it.

Neither do I, Jahfin. The fact is that I think I would not make a pilgrimage for any band. But that's the way I feel, and the fact that I live very, very far away from all those places only adds to the feeling that'd never have the money neither the time to make a pilgrimage. On the other hand I'd rather put my own efforts on other things, just like meeting my friends. And if they'r LZ fans, well, it makes it all even cooler. ;)

I don't really see anything the matter with it. Years ago Rolling Stone ran a piece on rock n' roll landmarks in the U.S. that was supposed to be like a suggested tour fans could take. As a Beatles fan I would love to visit Liverpool. I'm sure there's plenty of other sites to see and I would definitely take them in but the whole Beatles thing would be the draw for me. Being the big R.E.M. fan that I am, I have been to Athens, GA a number of times now. Being from the South, I get the feel of their music just from being a resident but I also found it very cool to visit the places I'd only read about such as the church where they first performed and lived (which is now just a steeple), the train trestle from the back of Murmur, Wuxtry Records, the 40 Watt Club, etc.

Exactly, I think the places will be great to visit. I love to see differnt cultures. Call me sentimental, but as I get older I seem to want to do the things that bring me back to my youth. Maybe because we had so much fun in the 70's. I always ask myself will I look and back and regret...and I know that I would get true enjoyment and meaning to do a trip like this, plus enjoy the land and the people!

I was a huge Beatles fan in their day, and I went to the University of Liverpool, and I don't think I went to any Beatles-related site in that whole time. I'd have gone to the Cavern, if it had still been the same place and it had still been open (and I've since visited it on its new site), but as it wasn't, there didn't seem much point in going and looking at where the Cavern had been. (I actually lived near Penny Lane, and it's nothing like the song.) I can totally understand why people do these pilgrimages, but I've never felt the urge, either, Zep included. I would like to pay my respects at Bonzo's grave just once, though.

ia couple of years ago i read about some women who made a holiday out of visiting zep landmarks. i think there were 3 of them. anyway, they visited johns grave and bron-yr-aur cottage and lots of other places. they went by roberts house, and he was home and invited them in! they had a few pics posted. i am sorry i can't remember the website, but i guess you could google it.

I remember reading that too and I was mortified that they had the nerve to just walk up to his house like that :( The worst thing was they thought it was so cool and saw nothing wrong. What a terrible invasion of privacy. He seemed pretty gracious to them which is admirable considering the circumstances.

yes, we're still in touch.

I have been lucky, I have already met many of the friends I made on that board. :) We met here in Brazil, in England and in Germany. Still there are many I'd like to meet and certainly I'd love to meet up with the ones I have already met before. :)

I hope I do.

Wonderful experience to meet up with people isn't it :D So many I hope to meet someday - I will :D :D :D

I wouldn't do the Zep trek (or any band trek) either not that I think it's wrong per se (depending on what you include in it).

Yeah you're right he was - he hates it when people try to track down him or his family at home. I can see why.

Hope you doing well BTW? x :beer:

oh i see. i thought it was more like they drove/walked past, and he saw them and chatted. i def agree that it was the wrong thing to do if they tracked him down. i mean, if he had told them to knick off, he would be the worst in the world, wouldn't he! poor thing. i am glad he was gracious enough to do what he did.

and i am doing well thanks. how are things in your world?

oh i see. i thought it was more like they drove/walked past, and he saw them and chatted. i def agree that it was the wrong thing to do if they tracked him down. i mean, if he had told them to knick off, he would be the worst in the world, wouldn't he! poor thing. i am glad he was gracious enough to do what he did.

From what I remember reading, they actually rang his bell and he came outside to talk to them. Don't know if they actually went inside his home but the photographs were taken outdoors.

I totally forgot to mention that a few of my trips to Athens revolved around meeting up with some friends from the Murmurs website. I have also done a few roadtrips to R.E.M. shows that involved meeting up with friends from that site. To those that may visit there's an Athens Music History tour conducted by Paul Butchart from the band the Side Effects who used to open for R.E.M. back in their early club days. You can read more about Paul and the Athens Music History Tour here as well as see a clip from the tour. Last year my trip to Athens was centered around AthFest, attending a R.E.M. show in Atlanta and hanging out with friends from Murmurs and some friends of mine that are fans of the Drive-By Truckers (who also happen to hail from Athens). I'd love to say I'm making the trip to Athfest this year but it's just not in the cards this time around.

Hi Slave,

Sorry i just dont get it, when you're a "God" to so many people and you live in a normal community, a village, expect people that worship you, adore you, and love you, to sometimes give you a knock and ask for an autograph, a cup of tea or even a beer with you.

If you're really against this type of "Excessive Fan Behavior" and dont want the "Adulation" that these types of people will give you, then uses some common sense, live in a castle with a very large moat around it and fill the thing with crocks, fresh water crocks, and a pack of anti-personel dogs to keep out those stupid enough to get passed the crocks.

Buy the way this is not my opinion of how Robert ar any "God" should live their lives, its just how it is today in this world of "Celebrity" that we live in.

I dont suppose anyone is interested in helping me to arrange a "Led Zeppelin" coach tour, visiting all the boys old haunts, homes, girlfriends, Gig Venues, and anything else that you can think of thats just as tasteless. Or should we just stick too the "Jack the Ripper" tours instead?

I do feel sorry for him, and for anyone else that gets unwelcome "guests" knocking at their doors, my own pet peeve is Jehovah's Witnesses, and Indian Restaurants delivering food to the wrong address, mine, so piss off next time and leave Robert alone as well.

Its like this i suppose, if nobody came round to visit and you're getting thoughts that you're the Black Sheep of the Family and a "Tourist" gives you a knock then you might think that its a great thing to happen too you, but on the other hand if you're trying to stay reclusive then its not much fun. Myself, well i passed Jimmys Town House in London W8 nearly every day for 20 years and i never once found the urge to knock, to tell the truth i didnt even know he owned it untill i started to use this site, and i'm supposed to be "Zeppelin Obsessed" Sorry Jimmy for not Knocking mate. ;)

Regards, Danny

i would love to see all the sites mentioned, maybe because of what deborah said, about it being sentimental, and bringing up images from your younger days. who knows. i just know i would love to see all these places. and yeah, the beatles ones too. maybe it's because they are in europe ..... i have always wanted to see england, ireland, wales, scotland, italy , france ......etc etc the houses, buildings etc are so old. the castles are so intriguing to me. maybe because here in australia, we have nothing older than 200 years, as far as architecture goes, i mean.

i would NEVER go up to one of the guys at their private homes, or while they were doing something private, like eating in a restaurant. but like glicine said ( in another thread, i think ) when they are doing public events, i would try and get an autograph, but i wouldn't hound them like the woman in ross halfins diary entry. that's just not on.

i would love to see all the sites mentioned, maybe because of what deborah said, about it being sentimental, and bringing up images from your younger days. who knows. i just know i would love to see all these places. and yeah, the beatles ones too. maybe it's because they are in europe ..... i have always wanted to see england, ireland, wales, scotland, italy , france ......etc etc the houses, buildings etc are so old. the castles are so intriguing to me. maybe because here in australia, we have nothing older than 200 years, as far as architecture goes, i mean.

i would NEVER go up to one of the guys at their private homes, or while they were doing something private, like eating in a restaurant. but like glicine said ( in another thread, i think ) when they are doing public events, i would try and get an autograph, but i wouldn't hound them like the woman in ross halfins diary entry. that's just not on.

Perfectly stated... I have also wanted to visit these area's. I have been to Italy. I am seriously thinking about doing a trip like this next year. I have the knowledge to probably put together a great tour. Like you said, this was my band that I grew up on and loved and have for 40 years!!! I would never interfere with their personal life because of respect.

From what I remember reading, they actually rang his bell and he came outside to talk to them. Don't know if they actually went inside his home but the photographs were taken outdoors.

Which reminds me of that scene from the Imagine documentary where Lennon invites the homeless fan into his house for something to eat. Perhaps it was a more innocent time then but it's still strange to see considering how John Lennon went out. It also reminds me of the time that guy stabbed George Harrison in his own home in '99.

Dont forget "Ayres Rock" the Abbo's just forgot to put a door in it, thats all. :lol:

Hi S2Z,

If you wanna visit any place now, all you have to do is, er, i'll PM you, i'm not sure the Mods would appreciate me telling everybody how to, well you know. :watchingyou:

Kind Regards, danny

Hi Slave,

Sorry i just dont get it, when you're a "God" to so many people and you live in a normal community, a village, expect people that worship you, adore you, and love you, to sometimes give you a knock and ask for an autograph, a cup of tea or even a beer with you.

If you're really against this type of "Excessive Fan Behavior" and dont want the "Adulation" that these types of people will give you, then uses some common sense, live in a castle with a very large moat around it and fill the thing with crocks, fresh water crocks, and a pack of anti-personel dogs to keep out those stupid enough to get passed the crocks.

Buy the way this is not my opinion of how Robert ar any "God" should live their lives, its just how it is today in this world of "Celebrity" that we live in.

I dont suppose anyone is interested in helping me to arrange a "Led Zeppelin" coach tour, visiting all the boys old haunts, homes, girlfriends, Gig Venues, and anything else that you can think of thats just as tasteless. Or should we just stick too the "Jack the Ripper" tours instead?

I do feel sorry for him, and for anyone else that gets unwelcome "guests" knocking at their doors, my own pet peeve is Jehovah's Witnesses, and Indian Restaurants delivering food to the wrong address, mine, so piss off next time and leave Robert alone as well.

Its like this i suppose, if nobody came round to visit and you're getting thoughts that you're the Black Sheep of the Family and a "Tourist" gives you a knock then you might think that its a great thing to happen too you, but on the other hand if you're trying to stay reclusive then its not much fun. Myself, well i passed Jimmys Town House in London W8 nearly every day for 20 years and i never once found the urge to knock, to tell the truth i didnt even know he owned it untill i started to use this site, and i'm supposed to be "Zeppelin Obsessed" Sorry Jimmy for not Knocking mate. ;)

Regards, Danny

haha, that's why jimmy hasn't toured for so long, he's depressed about you snubbing him all these years!

it is strange as to why robert went to greet them .... i am guessing they caught him off guard, and he opened the door before he realised it wasn't somebody he knew, and then well, what else could he do? i think he handled it well.

haha, that's why jimmy hasn't toured for so long, he's depressed about you snubbing him all these years!

it is strange as to why robert went to greet them .... i am guessing they caught him off guard, and he opened the door before he realised it wasn't somebody he knew, and then well, what else could he do? i think he handled it well.

Twas the knot in my stomack that stopped me, really, what the fcuk could you say to Jimmy anyway?

Me "Hi Jimmy i'm your biggest fan"

Jimmy "Hi, Nice to meet you, could you just get in the queue please, it starts over there in Birmingham, yea Alabama" :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, edited to add, Robert went to greet them because he is a great guy, i know this because he did the very same to a few friends of mine who bumped in to him and, Ian Gillan, Brian May and a few other Rock Celebs back in the late 70s in a Pub in London's West End. They had a few drinks together and went on their merry way, and they were not even Zepp fans like i was, i'm very jealous to this day.

I have to agree with KB on this one, especially for first or second visits to the UK. There is simply too much to see and if you are spending the money to cross the Atlantic, why do a band pilgrimage?

But you can make a band pilgrimage as 'part' of your holiday not the whole holiday.

For example, if Deborah decided she wanted to get to Bron-Y-Aur she could visit other parts of Wales on the way and not only go just for that specific spot alone. She could spend a day near there and then move off to, say, The Gower peninsula or deep into Snowdonia.

Many people who come to England just concentrate on London and the surrounding area. I think a 'band pilgrimage' that includes the Zeppelin sites would be a great reason for exploring the country.

It's shame I can't think of any Zeppelin sites out in the west country (Devon and Cornwall) as that is one of the nicest areas of Britain.

But I may take my vacation next year and visit London and Surrey. For me it would be a meaningful vacation. I may get in touch with you down the road on this. Thanks for offering:-)

No problem. I don't live there anymore but I grew up around the Surrey/south London border area (Wimbledon, Richmond, Sutton, Epsom) so know it like the back of my hand. :)

I now live in a much quieter tranquil area. :D

The Isle Of Wight is worth a visit in it's own right and on sunny days like this, it's gorgeous.

As a Beatles fan I would love to visit Liverpool. I'm sure there's plenty of other sites to see and I would definitely take them in but the whole Beatles thing would be the draw for me.

Jahfin, If you make it to Liverpool, then try to take in a football (soccer) game at Anfield, home of Liverpool FC. Even if you don't like football it's worth it for the experience, especially before they knock Anfield down and build a new stadium. If you can get tickets, try for a big European Champions League game. Extraordinary atmosphere.

Going to Liverpool and not even trying to take in a football game (even an Everton game :P ) is like going to Dallas and not bothering to try and take in a Cowboys game. Wasted trip.

But you can make a band pilgrimage as 'part' of your holiday not the whole holiday.

For example, if Deborah decided she wanted to get to Bron-Y-Aur she could visit other parts of Wales on the way and not only go just for that specific spot alone. She could spend a day near there and then move off to, say, The Gower peninsula or deep into Snowdonia.

Many people who come to England just concentrate on London and the surrounding area. I think a 'band pilgrimage' that includes the Zeppelin sites would be a great reason for exploring the country.

It's shame I can't think of any Zeppelin sites out in the west country (Devon and Cornwall) as that is one of the nicest areas of Britain.

This is great info. Maybe I can reach out to you next year as I get ready to plan this?

No problem. I don't live there anymore but I grew up around the Surrey/south London border area (Wimbledon, Richmond, Sutton, Epsom) so know it like the back of my hand. :)

I now live in a much quieter tranquil area. :D

The Isle Of Wight is worth a visit in it's own right and on sunny days like this, it's gorgeous.

I love to visit places with beautiful scenary and off the beaten path...not the touristy area. I have always found that if you do what the locals do you can meet some of the greatest people and see the best sites. I like the quieter tranquil life myself. I live on top of a mountain with no neighbors really close by. I always say if someone builds next to me I will have to move on at least 5 actres so I don't have to worry about it anymore. When my friends come to visit they always say " How in the world did you find this place, and they always end up staying a couple of extra days:-)

Thanks again!

I love to visit places with beautiful scenary and off the beaten path...not the touristy area. I have always found that if you do what the locals do you can meet some of the greatest people and see the best sites. I like the quieter tranquil life myself. I live on top of a mountain with no neighbors really close by. I always say if someone builds next to me I will have to move on at least 5 actres so I don't have to worry about it anymore. When my friends come to visit they always say " How in the world did you find this place, and they always end up staying a couple of extra days:-)

Thanks again!

You should rename it Deb's Mountain!! :D

You should rename it Deb's Mountain!! :D

Are you in the mountains in NC? Asheville is a great place. I have friends who are die hard ocean people. I lived in Florida for 8 years. It was nice, but I like the change of seasons and the view you get in the mountains.

This is great info. Maybe I can reach out to you next year as I get ready to plan this?

Sure, no problem. I'd be happy to help. :)

In going to points a and z there is also plenty to see from b to y in between. Or something like that.

I love to visit places with beautiful scenary and off the beaten path...not the touristy area. I have always found that if you do what the locals do you can meet some of the greatest people and see the best sites.

Yes you're right and that's a great attitude to have.

I like the quieter tranquil life myself.

It's great isn't it? I'm off on a 20 mile walk later today. Apart from one or two spots I shouldn't bump into too many people or have to cross many roads. I'm walking one side of the island to the other and sleeping out under the stars tonight somewhere around here:

http://www.frenchmans-cove.co.uk/images/headon1.jpg

Tomorrow morning there is a round the island yatch race so I want to catch it at a strategic point early in the morning as the 100s of little boats round The Needles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stowegarth/925914918/

I live on top of a mountain with no neighbors really close by. I always say if someone builds next to me I will have to move on at least 5 actres so I don't have to worry about it anymore. When my friends come to visit they always say " How in the world did you find this place, and they always end up staying a couple of extra days:-)

Thanks again!

Hehe what a weird coincidence. You sound like somebody I know. She lives alone in a cabin house on a mountain in North Carolina, not far from Waynesville. You're not related are you haha??

Archived