Pilgrimage Sites

Deborah J

Sure, no problem. I'd be happy to help. :)

In going to points a and z there is also plenty to see from b to y in between. Or something like that.

Yes you're right and that's a great attitude to have.

It's great isn't it? I'm off on a 20 mile walk later today. Apart from one or two spots I shouldn't bump into too many people or have to cross many roads. I'm walking one side of the island to the other and sleeping out under the stars tonight somewhere around here:

http://www.frenchmans-cove.co.uk/images/headon1.jpg

Tomorrow morning there is a round the island yatch race so I want to catch it at a strategic point early in the morning as the 100s of little boats round The Needles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stowegarth/925914918/

Hehe what a weird coincidence. You sound like somebody I know. She lives alone in a cabin house on a mountain in North Carolina, not far from Waynesville. You're not related are you haha??

Not related but would probably like her. For years I lived in cities, had to because of work. Four years ago I decided to get away from it. (I am fortunate and can work from my home). If I had to commute I could not live where I live. I love that I can crank up the music and no one is bothered. I look at mountains, streams and just nature. I hike a lot with my dogs.I am also old and wise enough to really appreciate it. My job is in the Bahamas so I fly down there every other month or so and that is beautiful as well, I feel really fortunate to have the life that I have created for myself. paid my dues for 25 years to get to this point but I never take it for granted now.

Frenchmans Cove looks amazing!! There are so many breathtaking places in this world.

Not related but would probably like her. For years I lived in cities, had to because of work. Four years ago I decided to get away from it. (I am fortunate and can work from my home). If I had to commute I could not live where I live. I love that I can crank up the music and no one is bothered. I look at mountains, streams and just nature. I hike a lot with my dogs.I am also old and wise enough to really appreciate it.

Sounds like you are in the perfect place. I'm nowhere near as remote or isolated as you. I live in a town but it's not long before I can find nice quiet countryside. I don't live out in the sticks like you do, unfortunately.

My friend in Waynesville actually moved there from Washington State where she lived in an even more remote and rugged place. She moved to the other side of the U.S.A for personal reasons.

My job is in the Bahamas so I fly down there every other month or so and that is beautiful as well, I feel really fortunate to have the life that I have created for myself. paid my dues for 25 years to get to this point but I never take it for granted now.

Wow, you lucky so and so.............but it sounds like you earned it so good luck to you. :)

Frenchmans Cove looks amazing!! There are so many breathtaking places in this world.

I think Frenchman's Cove is the name of the website. I don't know why that came up. Sorry for the confusion. The place is actually called Headon Warren. The only Frenchman's Cove I know is a place in Albany, Western Australia haha. There's no Frenchman's Cove on the Isle of Wight. Napoleon got stopped from invading here. :D

Sounds like you are in the perfect place. I'm nowhere near as remote or isolated as you. I live in a town but it's not long before I can find nice quiet countryside. I don't live out in the sticks like you do, unfortunately.

My friend in Waynesville actually moved there from Washington State where she lived in an even more remote and rugged place. She moved to the other side of the U.S.A for personal reasons.

Wow, you lucky so and so.............but it sounds like you earned it so good luck to you. :)

I think Frenchman's Cove is the name of the website. I don't know why that came up. Sorry for the confusion. The place is actually called Headon Warren. The only Frenchman's Cove I know is a place in Albany, Western Australia haha. There's no Frenchman's Cove on the Isle of Wight. Napoleon got stopped from invading here. :D

How was the Neeedles today...sailing??

From what I remember reading, they actually rang his bell and he came outside to talk to them. Don't know if they actually went inside his home but the photographs were taken outdoors.

I think that's really creepy and a major invasion of privacy.

My only advice would be to not visit Bron-Yr-Aur or Headley Grange. Both are private residences. Respect that people live there and don't trespass upon their land. It goes without saying that this also applies to the band's private residences, as well.

Personally, if you're prepared to come to the UK for these so-called band pilgrimages, I'd suggest that you be willing to accept that what you may get may be minimal. I'd suggest that you'd actually want to visit places - not just Zeppelin related 'landmarks' - because there sure as shit isn't any fun in walking everywhere, trying to find sites that are now beyond recognition. The idea of any band pilgrimage is enough to make me cringe - too much has changed here. If you want to come here, and make a holiday out of, trying to find landmarks pertaining to a particular band - I fear that you'll only be disappointed.

My only advice would be to not visit Bron-Yr-Aur or Headley Grange. Both are private residences. Respect that people live there and don't trespass upon their land. It goes without saying that this also applies to the band's private residences, as well.

Personally, if you're prepared to come to the UK for these so-called band pilgrimages, I'd suggest that you be willing to accept that what you may get may be minimal. I'd suggest that you'd actually want to visit places - not just Zeppelin related 'landmarks' - because there sure as shit isn't any fun in walking everywhere, trying to find sites that are now beyond recognition. The idea of any band pilgrimage is enough to make me cringe - too much has changed here. If you want to come here, and make a holiday out of, trying to find landmarks pertaining to a particular band - I fear that you'll only be disappointed.

As I stated earlier, I would never interfere with the personal life of anyone. It's rude. But nothing wrong in going to these areas. I have been in the hospitality business for 30 years and I am sure I can plan a great trip to the UK (not just going to the tourist area). I prefer the small towns no matter where I go. I have met the best people in the remote areas.

You stated "so-called band pilgrimages", I think we take vacations to find something different from the norm, or to see a new place, or to learn more about another culture...whatever it may be or whatever it is called I would love to see the area that gave them their inspiration as well as see a place I have never had the opportunity to see, meet new people. My pilgrimage would be done with the greatest respect.

I understand what you are saying about things changed and I may be disappointed and I appreciate the info. Are you planning any great vacations?

I guess I'm guilty of this one. And I didn't spend too much time stalking Robert Plant or hanging about too long. Just ask yourself one question as you go...

Would I feel comfortable if I lived here and someone stayed here all the time. If the answer is no, then move on and see something else. For the most part the people in England and Wales love talking to Americans. Some have never heard us in person and the way we talk fascinates them.

Just be nice. Oh and stay off their private properties (fenced ins)

The idea of any band pilgrimage is enough to make me cringe - too much has changed here.

I really don't see the harm in a music oriented visit to a city or country. Perhaps you have it confused with stalking. When I visited the Welcome Center in Athens, GA I was told R.E.M. was the number one reason for tourism there. Should I not visit the towns where some of my favorite bands first made a name for themselves because my visit there would be misconstrued as "stalking"? I've also made frequent trips to Austin, TX which is known as "The Live Music Capital of the World". Should I have stayed home instead of taking a trip to Austin to visit some of the clubs I'd only read and heard about?

I'm all for visiting places where heroes tread. Following footsteps and all that. Visiting settings that were inspirational. That's cool. But knocking on someone's door disturbing their lunch without an appointment is in my opinion just plain rude. I'd be pissed and I'm not even famous.

Unless you're selling those Thin Mints! I feel something's missing when I don't have at least one box in the freezer! ;)

You got to check out The Straw Hat in Rickmansworth, formerly John Paul Jones' residence!

An online search will provide pertinent details.

Thank you for the info. Another spot added to the agenda.:-)

I lived in Hendersonville. :D

Our flat neighbor about a half hour south of here.

I am in Asheville. Don't get me wrong not a bad place but not much for tourists in Hendersonville. They do have a pretty good hospital though if you ever get in a fix around there.

Looking Glass Falls/Asheville

09102008450.jpg

Our flat neighbor about a half hour south of here.

I am in Asheville. Don't get me wrong not a bad place but not much for tourists in Hendersonville. They do have a pretty good hospital though if you ever get in a fix around there.

Looking Glass Falls/Asheville

09102008450.jpg

Yeah, we used to go party up at Lake Lure and Chimney Rock.

Great pub in downtown Asheville. Used to watch Warren Haynes jam there. Good times!

They still throwing jams at Green Acres in Bostic?

I really don't see the harm in a music oriented visit to a city or country. Perhaps you have it confused with stalking. When I visited the Welcome Center in Athens, GA I was told R.E.M. was the number one reason for tourism there. Should I not visit the towns where some of my favorite bands first made a name for themselves because my visit there would be misconstrued as "stalking"? I've also made frequent trips to Austin, TX which is known as "The Live Music Capital of the World". Should I have stayed home instead of taking a trip to Austin to visit some of the clubs I'd only read and heard about?

No, no, I haven't confused it with stalking.

Look, I don't care if you want to visit somewhere because of a band. If you want to go Athens, GA or Athens in Greece - knock yourself out. If you had a fab time, that's even better. But I'm British, and I'm willing to bet that the Britain most people think of is such a departure from the reality. It's not that I don't want people coming here because of a band, but it's rather that I'm actually afraid that my country will disappoint you because of it. You come here to visit certain Zeppelin 'hotspots' and I'm afraid a fair amount of them will be obscure at best, or just gone. Half of them are either not accessible to the public or are restaurants. The rest just won't 'be'. Forty years ago, the story would've been very different. Back then, I could've understood the desire.

No, no, I haven't confused it with stalking.

Look, I don't care if you want to visit somewhere because of a band. If you want to go Athens, GA or Athens in Greece - knock yourself out. If you had a fab time, that's even better. But I'm British, and I'm willing to bet that the Britain most people think of is such a departure from the reality. It's not that I don't want people coming here because of a band, but it's rather that I'm actually afraid that my country will disappoint you because of it. You come here to visit certain Zeppelin 'hotspots' and I'm afraid a fair amount of them will be obscure at best, or just gone. Half of them are either not accessible to the public or are restaurants. The rest just won't 'be'. Forty years ago, the story would've been very different. Back then, I could've understood the desire.

Hello!

Britian has some awesome places to visit. I just don't like to do the tourist thing. I just want to meet some great people, take in new sites and if I am blessed enough to even drive by the areas that helped LZ create this most loved music that puts the icing on the cake. I also think the land is very nice in a lot of areas your way. I would love to get together with a few on this forum as well while I am in the area.

To be honest, until this thread I've never really given much though to visiting the UK just to see sites associated with Zeppelin because I never really thought of any. At least not in the same way you think of visiting Liverpool to see sites associated with the Beatles. When I go to foreign places I too, generally avoid the tourist hotspots and seek out the less traveled, off the beaten path places. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in another thread recently about favorite camping spots. When I visited Costa Rica 10 years ago it was for the adventure aspect, not the vacation one and we certainly did have an adventure. I also agree about meeting other members of forums I belong to. I have done that before as well but it has always been tied into a musical event.

To be honest, until this thread I've never really given much though to visiting the UK just to see sites associated with Zeppelin because I never really thought of any.

Huh? How can you not?

If you've ever read a Zeppelin book or saw TSRTS etc etc how could you fail to notice the connections to various places in the U.K ????

You got to check out The Straw Hat in Rickmansworth, formerly John Paul Jones' residence!

Ozzy Osbourne used to have a mansion near Rickmansworth. I went past it once. Not that I did so due to Ozzy but because I used to have a girlfriend who lived out that way. :D

Nice area. Very suburban.

To be honest, until this thread I've never really given much though to visiting the UK just to see sites associated with Zeppelin because I never really thought of any. At least not in the same way you think of visiting Liverpool to see sites associated with the Beatles. When I go to foreign places I too, generally avoid the tourist hotspots and seek out the less traveled, off the beaten path places. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in another thread recently about favorite camping spots. When I visited Costa Rica 10 years ago it was for the adventure aspect, not the vacation one and we certainly did have an adventure. I also agree about meeting other members of forums I belong to. I have done that before as well but it has always been tied into a musical event.

Costa Rica is awesome!!I don't think any other band would have me looking into a pilgrimage. But I know it would be a great time, scenery would be great. We don't have the historical buildings here in the US either and I would love to see some of those. Unless Robert, Jimmy, John and (Jason) reunite I will not be tying this to a musical event:-(

My close friends who live in Florida (northern and southern region) are going to see U2 in Ireland next month...and U2 is playing in Tampa. (which is only a couple of hours drive for any of them). But they are going to Ireland to see them, play golf and I am sure to drink:-).

For the most part the people in England and Wales love talking to Americans. Some have never heard us in person and the way we talk fascinates them.

I hear that some of you even have tails.

Is that right?

:P

Huh? How can you not?

If you've ever read a Zeppelin book or saw TSRTS etc etc how could you fail to notice the connections to various places in the U.K ????

I'm not saying I never noticed any connections to places in the U.K., I've just never given much (if any) thought to visiting them.

Ah actually visiting them is different. I thought you meant you have never even thought of any, which I found strange especially as all these places are all over the Led Zeppelin story.

Myself, for instance, I can even think of some in America that are part of Zeppelin folklore like the Riot House or Tampa stadium etc etc.

Last night I watched Infocus: Visions of Whales. What an amazing place!! Beautiful land and towns. Definitely have to visit parts of Whales. It was an aeriel view over the area. Breathtaking scenery.

Archived