bluesy sounds

Zoso1968

hey guys wondering what settings would best yield a bluesy sound, like on since ive been loving you or more traditional stuff like bb king albert king etc.

Clean amp cranked up, using a shielded humbucker in a chunk of lumber like a Les Paul for lot's of the Rock/Blues stuff. But there's lot's of stuff out there that was made with Strat's and hollow bodies thru a good old time Fender amp to.

Clean amp cranked up, using a shielded humbucker in a chunk of lumber like a Les Paul for lot's of the Rock/Blues stuff. But there's lot's of stuff out there that was made with Strat's and hollow bodies thru a good old time Fender amp to.

i figured something like that.... im using a harmony rocket from the 60s, hollow body so no humbuckers, but i get the cool little mustache pickups =)

what settings(and which pickup to use) would be best for an amp that doesnt have channels? got an old old 80s peavey, has this setup

Gain:

Pre Saturation Post (which works a bit like a master volume

Pull Bright

Equilization:

Low Mid High

Pull thick

Master:

Reverb

everying is set up that way where some words are stacked up like on Pre- Pull Bright High- Pull thick except for the thing with the post, thats just a little bit of info

i know basically how they work and i can get a decent bluesy sound but i just wanted to ask some opinions

Thanks!

Peavey amp's are not my first pick, but you should get some cool Beach Boy's type early 1960's sound's from that guitar if you play with the amp set clean.

I would get a different amp as soon as you can if you want some more crunch.

Here's a review on the axe you have.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...et+Reissue/10/1

Peavey amp's are not my first pick, but you should get some cool Beach Boy's type early 1960's sound's from that guitar if you play with the amp set clean.

I would get a different amp as soon as you can if you want some more crunch.

Here's a review on the axe you have.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...et+Reissue/10/1

yea dont worry peavey wasnt my choice really, i had not amp so my friend bought it for me from a garage sale for like $20, so no complaints there and its 40w so it can get fairly loud

but yea im going to be getting a marshall (probably)mg30fx over the summer along with a les paul knockoff

u think that would work well?

i read over that review and well they didnt really do an accurate reissue.... those have 3 pickups, regular rocket has 2, but at least they seem to be making good guitars from it.

I've got a little Marshal G30RCD but it has a cracked input plug on the circuit board. I could about buy a new amp for what it would cost to get it fixed so it's an end table beside my bed right now. The 10" speaker is still good, I don't know what kind it is, just has "custom made for Marshal" printed on the back. I only paid 100 buck's for it used and got some acceptable tone's from it clean and dirty and it was quite loud for only 30 watt's.

I used to know a guy that had a Peavey Classic 50 watt with a tube in the power amp section, it was OK sounding. Maybe like the one Evster is talking about.

I had at one time a Marshal 5025 (all I can find on the web now is the UK equivalent being the 5210) transistor combo, it had little dirt even on the distortion setting and had a dark sort of tone (I found) with different settings. Nothing like a big stack but it would work in a pinch.

its the same amp that i was talking about on the other thread ev, the studio pro 40, and yea the harmony doesnt sound exactly like it but i kinda like the way it sounds.. maybe not for sibly but for some other stuff... i mean its not a bad guitar at all, the neck i think is really nice, better than alot of les pauls that ive played, and it sounds pretty good for some zep stuff like over the hills and if i set the amp right it sounds pretty cool for stairway and on low setting it sounds damn near perfect for kashmir, so ill definitely always use them both, the amp and guitar.

but neways... yea i dont know much about the amp, just a peavey 40w that says studio pro 40... this one isnt tubed tho... i wish it was...

hey ev just a thought.. if one was to buy a marshall tubed combo amp for recording what would be a good wattage? just curious

hey guys wondering what settings would best yield a bluesy sound, like on since ive been loving you or more traditional stuff like bb king albert king etc.

Great minds and all...lol. Jimmy and B.B. are two of my favorites and are the two tones I've been trying to emulate. I've been working on the SIBLY live version for awhile now. Tone is close but not there yet. I think I'll have a harder time chasing the B.B tone. I posed a similar question at the Marshall forum but didn't really get any responses.

well im not only going to be playing blues stuff thats just something that im getting a little interested in.. and i love marshalls for a variety of different things, so im not just getting it for blues but yea ill look into that stuff... what other brands would u suggest?

I wouldn't classify SIBLY as the standard for blues tone. But those Harmony Rocket's were used by countless old blues musicians and should have DeArmond pickups. I would think the tones from that guitar would be as bluesy as you can get.

yea i wouldnt either its a bit different but i still would classify it as blues-rock at least... but yea i know alot of ppl used REAL epiphones too like mr john lee hooker and such, but yea the guitar is good for it i think, just gotta find some good amp settings for it, trying to find different sounds and such... nebody know what amps old blues musicians used? fenders?

nebody know what amps old blues musicians used? fenders?

They used pretty much whatever they could get their hands on because they were more often than not broke. I wouldn't get caught up on what amp or what settings, experiment and find something you like. Though if you want a decent blues tone and your amp has reverb don't set that any higher than 3. That Rocket you have is a blues machine, you should be able to wrench some brutal blues tone out of that thing. Besides it's all in the hands and mind man, blues is a style of music you intrepret with your playing not a setting on an amp or brand of guitar.

They used pretty much whatever they could get their hands on because they were more often than not broke. I wouldn't get caught up on what amp or what settings, experiment and find something you like. Though if you want a decent blues tone and your amp has reverb don't set that any higher than 3. That Rocket you have is a blues machine, you should be able to wrench some brutal blues tone out of that thing. Besides it's all in the hands and mind man, blues is a style of music you intrepret with your playing not a setting on an amp or brand of guitar.

heh.. yea words of wisdom there... thanks man im trying to get my hands on some music to learn but i cant really find ne good tabs (or any at all) on most of the stuff i like... bb king.. john lee, etc. know a couple clapton things, but tahts about it.. and i dont really want to get too reliant on youtube videos you know?

but even just starting to play some licks and put them together has helped me alot... it seems that ive seen an improvement in dexterity... so it seems, may all be in my head...

i spose tho that the hands thing will come with playing it eh? thanks!

IMO if you are interested in blues the best place to start is with the easy stuff. Learning the basic structure will go a long way in grasping the feel. Keep in mind blues was really about the lyrics. Google blues form+A A B or call and response for more on that. After I had the basics of 12 bar blues down it helped me in the beginning to mess around with simple single note phrases that were based on the AAB.

I wouldn't jump right into Clapton or BB, I look to guys like Jimmy Reed and Muddy. There are loads of good blues tabs and lessons out there and there is nothing wrong with youtube lessons. If stuff like that was around 30 years ago when I was starting out I'd be a heck of a lot better than I am now. That's a great tool and I'd take advantage of it. Another cool thing is Power Tab, google it and download it for free if you haven't already. I've been playing a long time and I use stuff like that now. Knowledge is king.

yea thats what i was trying to do, starting with the easy stuff, but im new to blues itself really so i dont know what would be the easy stuff... ya know?

anybody have any specific song suggestions?

also im taking a particular liking to delta blues atm, is it very hard to play them? also if there are ne song suggestions here that would be terrific, specially big joe williams and lightning hopkins i think was under delta blues... i liked their stuff alot

Thanks guys

Delta and pre-war blues styles might be kind of tough for a beginner. The playing tends to be pretty straight forward but there's a lot of finger picking involved with most of it. Much of that stuff is down right complicated. Those early blues guys were basically one man bands.

Easy songs to learn.

I Ain't Got You-Jimmy Reed

Smokestack Lightning-Howlin' Wolf

Canned Heat Blues-Tommy Johnson

Hoochie Coochie Man-Muddy

Look for lessons of those on youtube, no doubt it's on there.

sweet thanks loads danelectro, really a big help. Do you have any experience playing delta blues? if so, how long would i need to be playing to be good enough to play some? just looking for an idea =) Thanks again!

Archived