After being labeled hippies,anti-establishment

Deborah J

I remember being told we were hippies, druggies and the rock at that time was the devil's music. We wore our hair long, we were anti-government, we didn't dress proper...etc.

I grew up to be a successful business person. I have been in the hotel business for almost 30 years. I have traveled many places. My son graduates next May with his masters in Architecture. So I did that right. I still love blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still believe in Peace and Love. I love anilmals and would never delibertly hurt another human being. I love God and my neighbors.

In fact it was much of this music that shaped and molded me to what I am today. I am very involved in politics as I think we need to speak up when something is wrong.

What about you??

After the 60's (and an awful LSD experience and lucky to be alive) I went to work in a warehouse. It went out of business and I then got into wrecking buildings for almost 20 years. I now live on a pension from the Laborer's Union.

B)

After the 60's (and an awful LSD experience and lucky to be alive) I went to work in a warehouse. It went out of business and I then got into wrecking buildings for almost 20 years. I now live on a pension from the Laborer's Union.

B)

Glad you survived the experience!! There are hardly any pension funds available anymore:-(

I still hold tight to many of the ideals that were instilled in me early on by my older siblings (I'm the youngest of six) and my parents. I grew up to be me thanks to them. I may not have chosen the easy path but I feel like I definitely chose the right one.

Glad you survived the experience!!

Me too! :D

There are hardly any pension funds available anymore:-(

I believe our pension fund is strong. But that doesn't mean I don't worry about it. :(

Always hoping that construction takes off again.

I still hold tight to many of the ideals that were instilled in me early on by my older siblings (I'm the youngest of six) and my parents. I grew up to be me thanks to them. I may not have chosen the easy path but I feel like I definitely chose the right one.

You sound grounded. It's about what you have a passion for.

I remember being told we were hippies, druggies and the rock at that time was the devil's music. We wore our hair long, we were anti-government, we didn't dress proper...etc.

I grew up to be a successful business person. I have been in the hotel business for almost 30 years. I have traveled many places. My son graduates next May with his masters in Architecture. So I did that right. I still love blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still believe in Peace and Love. I love anilmals and would never delibertly hurt another human being. I love God and my neighbors.

In fact it was much of this music that shaped and molded me to what I am today. I am very involved in politics as I think we need to speak up when something is wrong.

What about you??

Well Debs you have let yoursell down now mate, you made a success of your life, now that aint in the Hippie Script is it? You're supposed to be living in a commune with all the rest of the "Unwashed" sticking two fingers up to society while quietly cashing your fortnightly Giro. :lol:

I still have my Honor intact, i never sold out, i too love animals but i would willingly kill any "Human" that acted like an "Animal", if know what i mean?

Always been Anti-Government, and they still stick to the same old Bullshit Script they always used too, i'm never surprised at the levels that they will still stoop too.

Blue Jeans and T Shirts Rule.

I dont believe in "God" anymore, the guy who inventer him was dyslexic in my book and meant to write "Believe in "Good" " so thats what i believe in, GOOD.

I still cant wait for us all to be wearing Star Trek uniforms as i predicted back in the day. :lol:

Regards, Danny

What about you??

Me? I feel I was a pre-teen,early teen hippie during the heyday. I had a brother five years older so I kinda tagged along. My college years were quite liberal. Art major with two degrees. Late 70's, early 80's.... sex, drugs and disco.

Who'dve thunk it?

Today, I have my own business and have busted my fucking ass to achieve what I have. I'm not rich rich,but I'm pleased with the outcome of my efforts.

I don't trust the government with my (our) taxes from local to federal. I feel the current administration has the potential to fuck things up in a royal way. Hope I'm off track on that ...time will tell. Share the wealth??? I prefer to donate to churches and organizations of my choosing,thank you.

I'll still take a toke if I want to... seldom. Never had a problem with the braless thing either.

Much thanks to the music and inspiration Led Zeppelin has given, and continues to give me.

My hair's still long. I still wear my tie dyes. I still sing songs around the fire. I don't smoke "reefer" anymore, and my acid days are well behind me. But I'm still riding the bus on this long strange trip! :D

Dark Star Jerry!!!!!! :beer:

I know of lots of folks I consider to be hippies who you won't find living on communes or at Dead or Phish concerts. They're still just as subversive as they ever were, if not more so. They exist on the fringe of society just as they always have but they may not fit the stereotype people seem to have of hippies.

I know of lots of folks I consider to be hippies who you won't find living on communes or at Dead or Phish concerts. They're still just as subversive as they ever were, if not more so. They exist on the fringe of society just as they always have but they may not fit the stereotype people seem to have of hippies.

Same here - it's more of their attitude and beliefs and who they are at the core, rather than the more stereotypical aspects of hippies.

Hippies were before my time but having siblings significantly older and parents who were pretty rebellious for their time, the influence on my upbringing and who I am today is definitely there.

Edited to add: Good topic DeborahJ!!!

Same here - it's more of their attitude and beliefs and who they are at the core, rather than the more stereotypical aspects of hippies.

Exactly. I know of plenty of friends who don't have long hair, don't do drugs, don't wear t-shirts and jeans, etc. that are definitely hippies. It's more about ideals than any sort of outward appearance and the trappings forced on that segment of society that have been thrust upon them by the media.

Hippies were before my time but having siblings significantly older and parents who were pretty rebellious for their time, the influence on my upbringing and who I am today is definitely there.

Same here. I was born in 1962 but I am who I am today because of my older brothers and sister, my parents and all of their friends.

Me? I feel I was a pre-teen,early teen hippie during the heyday. I had a brother five years older so I kinda tagged along. My college years were quite liberal. Art major with two degrees. Late 70's, early 80's.... sex, drugs and disco.

Who'dve thunk it?

......Today, I have my own business and have busted my fucking ass to achieve what I have. I'm not rich rich,but I'm pleased with the outcome of my efforts.

.....Much thanks to the music and inspiration Led Zeppelin has given, and continues to give me.

Jabe, the hard work has it's emotional rewards, and Led Zeppelin is a cultural/musical institution the 70's generation belongs to.......totally with you on these two points...

Myself training is in Computer Programming/Technical from Community College, but I decided to work with Behaviour/Special Needs Children as Educational Assistant (for a very deeply emotional reason!) with Diploma from Continued Education/University....I may advance to Degree Program or Sign Language...I will decide soon...

My husband.....Manager Computer Programming/Analyst - Masters Degree in Computer Engineering)...

More importantly, I still belong to and always have belonged to family of immigrants(70's). We lived the lifestyle of gypsies, as we would "crash" into each other for domestic/economic needs...

Robert Plant and I have something in common...we both lived with large immigrant families (I am sure you get the picture :D :D). To make a long story short, I belong to the generation of Indian immigrants/generation of the 70's...I was thirteen non-English speaking student (I was not put in regular curriculum all through high school and this was a very negative influence on my education/confidence as I was told I would never be able to go to University). In reality, English is my 4th language...

My father had to work in factories also, as his Civil Engineering Training was not qualified. (Recognition of Education of immigrants was a serious drawback for people back in the day, and still remains so, although better now). It was difficult for us to see all of this in search of material wealth, better/Rich life we had economically, but at the expense of being raised in two extreme cultures....(Equivalency programs are much more recognized now for new immigrants).

In the 70's we were in new country and it was racially tense time in Canada, so we learned to survive in our own small world of friends/colleagues...and we remain so to date in every way...

As for life in the late 60's (Child) to '74 (teen)...I lived a magical life in India...and continue to belong to that land endlessly....The music, the movies, the poetry, ....so so beautiful...and then of course I discovered Zeppelin along the way.... :D

and now we are building our dream house, much deserved after supporting so many families/relatives (as we were once in the 70's) :D :D

(I am the Oldest in my siblings....3 Girls/1Boy (also Engineer, Vancouver, like his dad) :D

....not edited...

(lazy typist)

Me?

Still very much locked into the music scene of the times, I lead a semi-local band where, in addition to my originals, we lean heavy on Zep and Mick Taylor-era Stones stuff. Plus a few other gems from the Stooges, MC5, and other fun late 60's/early 70's stuff. I also dig the 90's scene, Alice In Chains, STP, Nirvana, Live, Soundgarden, etc. That to me was the second BIG wave.

Politically, I'm a moderate. I don't believe you have to lean left or right, just be logical and think about the good of the majority. So I grew up enough to realize that being radically-minded was foolish, yet it pays to listen to all sides before rushing to judgement.

I'd have long hair if there was enough of it. :lol:

So yeah...I'm a 51 year old 30 year old. ;)

Well Debs you have let yoursell down now mate, you made a success of your life, now that aint in the Hippie Script is it? You're supposed to be living in a commune with all the rest of the "Unwashed" sticking two fingers up to society while quietly cashing your fortnightly Giro. :lol:

I still have my Honor intact, i never sold out, i too love animals but i would willingly kill any "Human" that acted like an "Animal", if know what i mean?

Always been Anti-Government, and they still stick to the same old Bullshit Script they always used too, i'm never surprised at the levels that they will still stoop too.

Blue Jeans and T Shirts Rule.

I dont believe in "God" anymore, the guy who inventer him was dyslexic in my book and meant to write "Believe in "Good" " so thats what i believe in, GOOD.

I still cant wait for us all to be wearing Star Trek uniforms as i predicted back in the day. :lol:

Regards, Danny

Believe me I am not financially rich, I pay my bills, have put my son through college on my own. I always say that if I have raised a good human being and everything else get's screwed up I am still successful. I am happy with my life and that makes me successful.

I am an independent as I am fed up with both Republicans and Democrats. But I do feel that I have a voice and I write to the White House when I feel I need to speak up.

maybe one day Star Trek uniforms will be the norm, kind of reminds me of the clothes of the 80"s... :-)

Jabe, the hard work has it's emotional rewards, and Led Zeppelin is a cultural/musical institution the 70's generation belongs to.......totally with you on these two points...

Myself training is in Computer Programming/Technical from Community College, but I decided to work with Behaviour/Special Needs Children as Educational Assistant (for a very deeply emotional reason!) with Diploma from Continued Education/University....I may advance to Degree Program or Sign Language...I will decide soon...

My husband.....Manager Computer Programming/Analyst - Masters Degree in Computer Engineering)...

More importantly, I still belong to and always have belonged to family of immigrants(70's). We lived the lifestyle of gypsies, as we would "crash" into each other for domestic/economic needs...

Robert Plant and I have something in common...we both lived with large immigrant families (I am sure you get the picture :D :D). To make a long story short, I belong to the generation of Indian immigrants/generation of the 70's...I was thirteen non-English speaking student (I was not put in regular curriculum all through high school and this was a very negative influence on my education/confidence as I was told I would never be able to go to University). In reality, English is my 4th language...

My father had to work in factories also, as his Civil Engineering Training was not qualified. (Recognition of Education of immigrants was a serious drawback for people back in the day, and still remains so, although better now). It was difficult for us to see all of this in search of material wealth, better/Rich life we had economically, but at the expense of being raised in two extreme cultures....(Equivalency programs are much more recognized now for new immigrants).

In the 70's we were in new country and it was racially tense time in Canada, so we learned to survive in our own small world of friends/colleagues...and we remain so to date in every way...

As for life in the late 60's (Child) to '74 (teen)...I lived a magical life in India...and continue to belong to that land endlessly....The music, the movies, the poetry, ....so so beautiful...and then of course I discovered Zeppelin along the way.... :D

and now we are building our dream house, much deserved after supporting so many families/relatives (as we were once in the 70's) :D :D

(I am the Oldest in my siblings....3 Girls/1Boy (also Engineer, Vancouver, like his dad) :D

....not edited...

(lazy typist)

Great story, thanks for sharing. Congrats ojn the well deserved dream home:-)

This is a great topic. I was born in 1966, so unfortunately I missed that era.

I've often thought about what era I would like to have lived in as a teen/twenty-something and that is definitely it.

The whole commune thing has an appeal to me. I was talking to my teens a while back about this about how I'd share anything, food, money, clothes, hair products (hee hee), but man, you're not borrowing my music without my permission!

My mom had such an awesome music collection from the hippie era when I was growing up, so really even though I wasn't old enough at the time, I experienced it in the late 70's and early 80's. That is until she decided one day that all of her albums were the devil's music. She made me sit down with her and bust them all up. She wasn't content to just throw them away because some young person might spot them in the garbage and be lead down that evil path.

People, she busted all of her Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Bad Company, The Doors, etc. What I wouldn't give to own those "albums" now.

So thus my, "You're not touching my music without permission" attitude.

However, I digress. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. That'll save me a couple of hours in therapy (LOL!)

P.S. She even busted MY Barbra Streisand Christmas album. What the heck was wrong with a Jewish woman singing about Jesus' birth?!?!?!?!?

I to I'm to young to have been in the 60's hippie generation. But, I was a teen in the late 70's and early 80's so there was still plenty going on and around to be happy about!

I have older siblings so I know (some what) of that bunch of people where all about, the music and free will I did get and the parting was passed down (as always with one young-n to another) to. I still feel a bit old fashioned to an extent to, but I love technology a lot! I've had my share of up's and down's and my family has a close bond (even if we fight sometimes) together and I do consider myself a "bleeding heart and artist".

The devil .... That's just in one's own self. We all have our angels & demons that we have to deal with from time to time, so I don't really follow mystic religion's.

Archived