After being labeled hippies,anti-establishment

Deborah J

Believe me I am not financially rich, I pay my bills, have put my son through college on my own. I always say that if I have raised a good human being and everything else get's screwed up I am still successful. I am happy with my life and that makes me successful.

I am an independent as I am fed up with both Republicans and Democrats. But I do feel that I have a voice and I write to the White House when I feel I need to speak up.

maybe one day Star Trek uniforms will be the norm, kind of reminds me of the clothes of the 80"s... :-)

Hi Deborah,

I do believe you, the rich are easy to spot, their the ones who always ask us, the poor, to part with our hard earned money to fund their charities while they keep up their position on the Times Richest 500 List, year in year out, and all their money including interest.

It doesnt matter how you raise your kids, i've seen Good families produce Murderers and Bad families produce Angels, if their gonna be a credit to you it will be up to them not how they were raised, in my honest opinion, but good for you anyways.

As for politics, all i'll say is this, when will people realise that nearly all people that enter politics do so to earn a living not to change society for the better, that's why there will always be controversy, greed, and a careless attitude, and now so many politicians are former Lawyers that it will be only "argument " that solves any issues rather than "Common-sense" and doing what is good for society, as long as you can only elect those that are pre-chosen there is no sense in voting in my honest opinion.

Jesus and "Rush" once said, "and the meek will inherit the earth" and the "Powerful Rich" said in reply, "Bollocks they will".

Only a fool would believe that the "Powerful Rich" would ever give up Power, they never did, they just fooled the "Poor, Women, Blacks, and Immigrants" that they had a say in how the Country or World would be run, remember the words of "The Who", "New Boss, same as the Old Boss" and "We wont get fooled again" well the first bit they got right, but the second part we never seem to learn from do we?

The only way to change the Country or World is for the "Good Rock Guys" to get up of their fat arses, forget the charity work and form a political party so that they can write the Manifesto for, get elected in to Parlament, and do the right thing for us all, and lets face it, who are you gonna vote for, a Sceeming, Thieving, Lying, Power and Money Hungry, Son of a Bitch or a "Rock God" like, well you know who?

I know who i would vote for, how bout you?

Regards, Danny

My hair's still long. I still wear my tie dyes. I still sing songs around the fire. I don't smoke "reefer" anymore, and my acid days are well behind me. But I'm still riding the bus on this long strange trip! :D

Dark Star Jerry!!!!!! :beer:

:hippy:

You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus.~ Babbs :D

I'm still on the bus too.

Acid is in the past, though I've seriously thought about another dose of pure. Just to put my ego in check.

I could care less about labels. Like Jaf said, it's more about ideals now. Many of my old hippie friends do still consider themselves that, and they live more like average joes now, yet hold dear their ideals.

Most all are very successful. How you define success is another topic.

And I myself will always question authority. I feel like I've never stopped being a rebel.

Our dreams were crushed when Robert Kennedy was assassinated.

You learn to have Rhino Skin , as Tom Petty puts it. To stick up for your ideals, and be happy.

I'm lucky I survived though, some did not. Including our young kids to the Viet Nam War.

I remember being told we were hippies, druggies and the rock at that time was the devil's music. We wore our hair long, we were anti-government, we didn't dress proper...etc.

I grew up to be a successful business person. I have been in the hotel business for almost 30 years. I have traveled many places. My son graduates next May with his masters in Architecture. So I did that right. I still love blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still believe in Peace and Love. I love anilmals and would never delibertly hurt another human being. I love God and my neighbors.

In fact it was much of this music that shaped and molded me to what I am today. I am very involved in politics as I think we need to speak up when something is wrong.

What about you??

How's it going "Deborah J?" I admit, I am still a hippie at heart especially since I still do have long hair. I'm 48 years old now and I still haven't lost any hair yet! (Knock on wood!) I am very active when it comes to Politics and my job requires me to wear a suit every morning with my hair well trimmed for work. I have explored everything that my fellow hippies have explored in the past and lived to tell about it. I am proud of what and who I am and with that being said, I truly believe that all of you feel the same way. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Deborah J?" I admit, I am still a hippie at heart especially since I still do have long hair. I'm 48 years old now and I still haven't lost any hair yet! (Knock on wood!) I am very active when it comes to Politics and my job requires me to wear a suit every morning with my hair well trimmed for work. I have explored everything that my fellow hippies have explored in the past and lived to tell about it. I am proud of what and who I am and with that being said, I truly believe that all of you feel the same way. ROCK ON!

I still have part hippie in me as well. My job does require a business suite when I travel as I work out of my home which I wear jeans and can get by with it. Love the hair comment . Glad to hear you are involved in politics (this was also a part of our generation), only now instead of protesting we have the internet and write letters...etc. I to lived through the 70's and have many a story to tell. Now I have to be grown up, but never forgetting those times, the valuable lessons learned, the best of times with friends. I am sure most of us do feel the same way:-)

I still have part hippie in me as well. My job does require a business suite when I travel as I work out of my home which I wear jeans and can get by with it. Love the hair comment . Glad to hear you are involved in politics (this was also a part of our generation), only now instead of protesting we have the internet and write letters...etc. I to lived through the 70's and have many a story to tell. Now I have to be grown up, but never forgetting those times, the valuable lessons learned, the best of times with friends. I am sure most of us do feel the same way:-)

How's it going "Deborah J?" I'm glad to hear that you have done well for yourself and like myself, have a few stories to tell as I'm sure many of us here on the Forum have many to tell as well! I am looking forward to conversing with you more here on the Forum as time goes by. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

:hippy:

You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus.~ Babbs :D

I'm still on the bus too.

Acid is in the past, though I've seriously thought about another dose of pure. Just to put my ego in check.

I could care less about labels. Like Jaf said, it's more about ideals now. Many of my old hippie friends do still consider themselves that, and they live more like average joes now, yet hold dear their ideals.

Most all are very successful. How you define success is another topic.

And I myself will always question authority. I feel like I've never stopped being a rebel.

Our dreams were crushed when Robert Kennedy was assassinated.

You learn to have Rhino Skin , as Tom Petty puts it. To stick up for your ideals, and be happy.

I'm lucky I survived though, some did not. Including our young kids to the Viet Nam War.

What was it like when the whole hippy movement sort of faded out - I've read there was an overwhelming sense of disappointment and discouragement and sort of fueled a lot of people to join the establishment so to speak. Curious to hear your thoughts on that.

What was it like when the whole hippy movement sort of faded out - I've read there was an overwhelming sense of disappointment and discouragement and sort of fueled a lot of people to join the establishment so to speak. Curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Sort of faded out. It hasn't left completely. I don't recall any overwhelming sense of disapointment about anything. I would say the young people moved on due to children mostly. I guess some became "yuppies" to make the all-mighty buck for their families, and some got caught up in being...Kept up with the Jones'.

Yet I still know some old hippies in like Sante Fe, Eugene OR, parts of Northern Cal, still living a semi-communal lifestyle that hasn't changed all that much.

Sort of faded out. It hasn't left completely. I don't recall any overwhelming sense of disapointment about anything. I would say the young people moved on due to children mostly. I guess some became "yuppies" to make the all-mighty buck for their families, and some got caught up in being...Kept up with the Jones'.

Yet I still know some old hippies in like Sante Fe, Eugene OR, parts of Northern Cal, still living a semi-communal lifestyle that hasn't changed all that much.

Thanks - the stuff I read made it sound like everyone was disillusioned and gave up on what the whole movement stood for and such.

I don't think it ever faded out either. They may not have had the same name for them but I believe hippies also existed prior to the 60s as far as those that adhered to a bohemian type lifestyle. I know of plenty of people that continue to live that sort of life. As I've said before, I don't mean the folks you find at "jam" band concerts either. Those people are way off of the scent though I'm sure there's some there. Not every hippie suddenly transformed into a yuppie and ran off to join a house.

This is a great topic. I was born in 1966, so unfortunately I missed that era.

I've often thought about what era I would like to have lived in as a teen/twenty-something and that is definitely it.

The whole commune thing has an appeal to me. I was talking to my teens a while back about this about how I'd share anything, food, money, clothes, hair products (hee hee), but man, you're not borrowing my music without my permission!

My mom had such an awesome music collection from the hippie era when I was growing up, so really even though I wasn't old enough at the time, I experienced it in the late 70's and early 80's. That is until she decided one day that all of her albums were the devil's music. She made me sit down with her and bust them all up. She wasn't content to just throw them away because some young person might spot them in the garbage and be lead down that evil path.

People, she busted all of her Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Bad Company, The Doors, etc. What I wouldn't give to own those "albums" now.

So thus my, "You're not touching my music without permission" attitude.

However, I digress. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. That'll save me a couple of hours in therapy (LOL!)

P.S. She even busted MY Barbra Streisand Christmas album. What the heck was wrong with a Jewish woman singing about Jesus' birth?!?!?!?!?

This is just to funny and --(sigh) all of those great vinyls she busted up....:-(

I believe there is always a distance from one generation to another when thing's change in a drastic way. I mean look at the change from the Jazz of the 1930's and 1940's that came to be the Country/Blue's/Jazz fusion of Rock and Roll in the 1950's! That had to have been a shock to the older folk's in the 1950's, as was the same in the late 1960's Rock/Pop, then on to the Metal/New Wave/Rap in the 1980's.

They all come with there new thing's whether it be cloths, living arrangement's or hair even styles!

I think this type of thing was best coined by the mid 1960's sub Pop culture in England as the "Fad!" And it'll keep going on to what ever happens next, may be something that lives on in bigger group's for a long time like the late 1960's Hippie, or it may die out or morph into something else in just a few years like Disco in the late 1970's.

I believe there is always a distance from one generation to another when thing's change in a drastic way. I mean look at the change from the Jazz of the 1930's and 1940's that came to be the Country/Blue's/Jazz fusion of Rock and Roll in the 1950's! That had to have been a shock to the older folk's in the 1950's, as was the same in the late 1960's Rock/Pop, then on to the Metal/New Wave/Rap in the 1980's.

They all come with there new thing's whether it be cloths, living arrangement's or hair even styles!

I think this type of thing was best coined by the mid 1960's sub Pop culture in England as the "Fad!" And it'll keep going on to what ever happens next, may be something that lives on in bigger group's for a long time like the late 1960's Hippie, or it may die out or morph into something else in just a few years like Disco in the late 1970's.

So true, a lot of probably still have a lot of hippie in us;-)

I was born in the mid 60s so I missed the true hippy days; and my parents were definitely not hippies (preppie, although not wealthy).

I have probably always been more of a nerd than anything else. Yet I lean far to the left and still have a little residual preppie.

Well done Deborah J and everyone.

Those were the great years. You actually showed them that you can succeed in your life, even if you are kind of different than the most people of that time. I like the time in where I live, but it was definitely better before. But I'm not so much satisfied with this time. Actually, I'm happy that I'm even born. :D

Thanks - the stuff I read made it sound like everyone was disillusioned and gave up on what the whole movement stood for and such.

Nah, they just sort of packed up and left San Francisco and moved north to Marin and beyond. ;)

And a lot of us got on the bus in the mid 80s and waved that flag as a new generation.

The counter culture is alive and well. It's just not big news these days. I mean, what can the media really report? Hippies still exist: Film at 11? That wouldn't be hard news. It would be a filler piece. Something for Geraldo to tack on during the last 5 minutes of At Large! :lol:

What can I say? I still don't trust the goverment! ;)

Nah, they just sort of packed up and left San Francisco and moved north to Marin and beyond. ;)

And a lot of us got on the bus in the mid 80s and waved that flag as a new generation.

The counter culture is alive and well. It's just not big news these days. I mean, what can the media really report? Hippies still exist: Film at 11? That wouldn't be hard news. It would be a filler piece. Something for Geraldo to tack on during the last 5 minutes of At Large! :lol:

What can I say? I still don't trust the goverment! ;)

My sense is it was the media's attempt to say look hippies, you failed miserably by portraying this picture things were done where clearly it was a case of a shift. There is a definite counter culture very much alive and well. I've got mates involved in it on different levels. But as you said, it's not as much in the forefront as the hippies were.

My sense is it was the media's attempt to say look hippies, you failed miserably by portraying this picture things were done where clearly it was a case of a shift. There is a definite counter culture very much alive and well. I've got mates involved in it on different levels. But as you said, it's not as much in the forefront as the hippies were.

When I was in California, hippies walking down the street wouldn't even turn a head. Now when I was in Wisconsin... I think there'd be traffic collisions from slack-jawed disbelieving gawkers. Frightened mothers covering their children's eyes. At least in the town I was living in. :lol:

When I was in California, hippies walking down the street wouldn't even turn a head. Now when I was in Wisconsin... I think there'd be traffic collisions from slack-jawed disbelieving gawkers. Frightened mothers covering their children's eyes. At least in the town I was living in. :lol:

:lol: Don't look Johnny, a...a...a (mother gasps in horror) boy with long hair :D

I've seen some funny clips when they would have tour buses going through the Haight and all these people staring out in horror at the whole scene.

You need a VW van completely carpeted on the inside with a killer sound system, good friends and then hit the road.

Then you take the VW van, remove the wheels, cut a hole in the floor, and weld it to the top of a schoolbus. ;)

Archived