After being labeled hippies,anti-establishment

Deborah J

Then you take the VW van, remove the wheels, cut a hole in the floor, and weld it to the top of a schoolbus. ;)

Pull out the Harachee's, Love Beads, Denim's and a ZEP T-shirt and wave to everyone the peace sign. Wow, as much turmoil that was going on it was still such an unbelievable time.

Pull out the Harachee's, Love Beads, Denim's and a ZEP T-shirt and wave to everyone the peace sign. Wow, as much turmoil that was going on it was still such an unbelievable time.

Ever get up to Green Acres Music Park in Bostic, NC? :beer:

I lived just 15 miles south of San Francisco during that era. I was a bit too young to actually get in on it, but old enough to appreciate the vibe (and laugh at my father's disparaging remarks :lol: ). I was sucked right in. I wanted tie-dye, bell bottoms and long hair. Of course, what I wanted and what I GOT were two different things. At least I WAS allowed to listen to the music, as long as my parents didn't have to hear it.

But those were fun times.

Then you take the VW van, remove the wheels, cut a hole in the floor, and weld it to the top of a schoolbus. ;)

Years ago, my oldest brother decided he wasn't working for the "man" anymore and decided to hit the road with his own old time medicine show. One of the first things he did was was weld the upper half of a VW stationwagon to the top of his Chevy suburban. In honor of the Merry Pranksters, "Further" was painted on the front of the truck.

Years ago, my oldest brother decided he wasn't working for the "man" anymore and decided to hit the road with his own old time medicine show. One of the first things he did was was weld the upper half of a VW stationwagon to the top of his Chevy suburban. In honor of the Merry Pranksters, "Further" was painted on the front of the truck.

That's funny. My ex actually travelled with the Pranksters to New York with his own truck/bus named Splash.

We also converted a 66 passenger school bus into a house, but we kept the outside "low key" to avoid unwanted cop stops. We had all you could need. Shower, bathroom, kitchen sink w/hot water, a big desk for making our jewelry on, and a nice antique fold out bed/couch.

That's funny. My ex actually travelled with the Pranksters to New York with his own truck/bus named Splash.

We also converted a 66 passenger school bus into a house, but we kept the outside "low key" to avoid unwanted cop stops. We had all you could need. Shower, bathroom, kitchen sink w/hot water, a big desk for making our jewelry on, and a nice antique fold out bed/couch.

This is great, reliving the memories;-) The freedom at that time was great. I wished i would have apprecited it more. No cell phines, blackberries.....

Here, is to the weird babies of 1969.

Weird or not-It was time of movements, expressing yourself (God forbid you do that today. Someone will tell you is not politically correct). The nice thing about the 60's and 70's was the music and compared to today's time a lot more love was around. :-)

Never been there, whats it like?

A good ol fellow named Niles Cuthbertson own a few hundred or so acres of tree-lined smooth green land. In the center is a full stage. There's a little gate at the head of the dirt road leading to it. 20 bucks and you're in. Camping welcome. Vendors welcome. Campfires, no problem. Booze, weed, no problem. Security, totally unneccessary. Hassles, zero. Bands (and open jams), all day and well into the night. Usual suspects: Larry Keel Experience, the John Cowan Band, the Sam Bush Band, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Tony Trischka, Norman Blake, Byron Berline, Dan Crary, Acoustic Syndicate, David Grier and Matt Flinner, and the Dawg himself, David Grisman.

Green Acres Music Park: Bluegrass and New Grass. :D

A good ol fellow named Niles Cuthbertson own a few hundred or so acres of tree-lined smooth green land. In the center is a full stage. There's a little gate at the head of the dirt road leading to it. 20 bucks and you're in. Camping welcome. Vendors welcome. Campfires, no problem. Booze, weed, no problem. Security, totally unneccessary. Hassles, zero. Bands (and open jams), all day and well into the night. Usual suspects: Larry Keel Experience, the John Cowan Band, the Sam Bush Band, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Tony Trischka, Norman Blake, Byron Berline, Dan Crary, Acoustic Syndicate, David Grier and Matt Flinner, and the Dawg himself, David Grisman.

I must come for a visit. Place sounds great!! Thanks for sharing.

My mom had such an awesome music collection from the hippie era when I was growing up, so really even though I wasn't old enough at the time, I experienced it in the late 70's and early 80's. That is until she decided one day that all of her albums were the devil's music. She made me sit down with her and bust them all up. She wasn't content to just throw them away because some young person might spot them in the garbage and be lead down that evil path.

People, she busted all of her Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Bad Company, The Doors, etc. What I wouldn't give to own those "albums" now.

So thus my, "You're not touching my music without permission" attitude.

However, I digress. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. That'll save me a couple of hours in therapy (LOL!)

P.S. She even busted MY Barbra Streisand Christmas album. What the heck was wrong with a Jewish woman singing about Jesus' birth?!?!?!?!?

Sounds like 'Carrie's' Mom. :blink:

When I was in California, hippies walking down the street wouldn't even turn a head. Now when I was in Wisconsin... I think there'd be traffic collisions from slack-jawed disbelieving gawkers. Frightened mothers covering their children's eyes. At least in the town I was living in. :lol:

On Haight Street they actually had tour busses giving 'Hippie Tours' and they even had pamphlets that explained hippie slang.

Groovy, man!

:lol:

In '67 we used to all pile into my brother's 1950 black Plymouth and it had a fluorescent orange peace symbol sprayed on the driver's door.

Groovy, man!

:D

Would have been great to hear those musicians jamming!

The nice thing about the 60's and 70's was the music and compared to today's time a lot more love was around. :-)

Not so sure I agree about that.

1965_06b.jpg

1-13-img273.jpg

A few other things were noticeably different. The youth of America actually took to the streets in great numbers to protest. Today's youth are far too complacent for that, at least the majority of them. Also, you actually saw reportage of the war on the evening news. Today's war coverage is sanitized and pre-packaged for broadcast.

That sounds very similar to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival which happens every year in San Francisco, except it's free and is held at Golden Gate Park.

Not so sure I agree about that.

1965_06b.jpg

1-13-img273.jpg

A few other things were noticeably different. The youth of America actually took to the streets in great numbers to protest. Today's youth are far too complacent for that, at least the majority of them. Also, you actually saw reportage of the war on the evening news. Today's war coverage is sanitized and pre-packaged for broadcast.

So true. I would like to think that we did change a few things. We did stand up for what we thought was right. In todays world most people believe what the news/media tell them. I'll take the 70's era any day:-)

I remember being told we were hippies, druggies and the rock at that time was the devil's music. We wore our hair long, we were anti-government, we didn't dress proper...etc.

I grew up to be a successful business person. I have been in the hotel business for almost 30 years. I have traveled many places. My son graduates next May with his masters in Architecture. So I did that right. I still love blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still believe in Peace and Love. I love anilmals and would never delibertly hurt another human being. I love God and my neighbors.

In fact it was much of this music that shaped and molded me to what I am today. I am very involved in politics as I think we need to speak up when something is wrong.

What about you??

Well, Deborah, I'm glad that you asked.

Archived