After being labeled hippies,anti-establishment

Deborah J

:lol: Go Deborah!

I'm thinkin' Del is ready for his annual week at the beach. ;)

If he can stand the stench from Mexico.............. :P

J/K Del...

kinda :hippy:

Thanks Hotplant!!!Still have some hippy in me and proud of it:-)

Hello Del,

Everyone knows that Manson was a murderer, low life...and as in any group there are really stupid people...

Don't forget that Manson was a part of the anti-establishment that you seem so mystified about. The fact that he existed within a greater context of "everything goes" and "turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..." is really at the core of the problem. Because the further away from"the establishment" you go, without replacing it with some other strong societal code, you end up with chaos. The hippy movement offered nothing sustaining to replace the "establishment" that they rebelled against. Why else do you think that right in the middle of the 'summer of love' the group called the Diggers in SFs Haight district declared "the death of hippy"? Because what happend was that within months of the "experiment" their new revoution failed. Without an establishment, without ethical norms, without strict parameters for behavior.... shit just falls apart.

but there was also people who were standing up to our corrupt government.

You think that goverment now or at any other time was less "corrupt" than during the 60s?

Besides, define "corrupt"?

The killing of JFK...

What about the killing of JFK? Please don't tell me you are one of those nutters who think the goverment killed Kennedy?

Oswald was a damn good shot is all. No big mystery there! Plus he was a total looney bird.

...the Vietnam war...

Oh crap! I was not in favor of that war either. But mostly because we didn't fight it to win. But we were THE GOOD GUYS in that conflict, not the other way around.

I don't see how being in favor of LIBERTY makes us corrupt. You think that regimes like Pol Pot's was better than what we had to offer. Pol Pot killed 1/3 of population of his own country. And remember that other commie Stalin? He killed something like 20 million.

No, we are the good guys. And the anti-war nutters only played into the hands of the bad guys.

Do you really think a large percentage of the government then was not a set of greedy, self indulgent group of people. The drug of the fifties was alcohol and God knows that was abused..and still is..it just happens to be legal because government found a way to make money on it. Prostitution was around long before the hippies.

The government didn't create the ills of or society. But if you think that smoking pot is a postive thing then I disagree. And all goverments are corrupt to some extent. But especially the government that becomes "more goverment" like your lefty hippy pals wanted (ie. socialized medicine/welfare etc.).

In regards to hard work and responsibility... look at the world today. Most people have worked hard and AGAIN the government is still failing people.

Why do you think it's the goverment's responsibility to save people? We don't need the goverment to be our saviour, we just need the government to get out of our way. Stop taxing us to death for stupid social programs would be a good start.

Don't forget that Manson was a part of the anti-establishment that you seem so mystified about. The fact that he existed within a greater context of "everything goes" and "turn off your mind, relax and float downstream..." is really at the core of the problem. Because the further away from"the establishment" you go, without replacing it with some other strong societal code, you end up with chaos. The hippy movement offered nothing sustaining to replace the "establishment" that they rebelled against. Why else do you think that right in the middle of the 'summer of love' the group called the Diggers in SFs Haight district declared "the death of hippy"? Because what happend was that within months of the "experiment" their new revoution failed. Without an establishment, without ethical norms, without strict parameters for behavior.... shit just falls apart.

Why are we still talking aboutManson--the guy and his followers were the scum of the earth. Most of the people I was around in the late 60's and early 70's were young people who were facing such a time of turmoil and they were protesting the war and wanted Peace. I happen to agree with this. I AM NOT mystified, but it is a part of my history and my life growing up. And as far as an establishment without ethical norms, do you think that is the society we klive in today. Our leaders in government and business are at the height of corruption. Please tell me you are not one of those so far to the right that you believe that is the only right way to be!!

You think that goverment now or at any other time was less "corrupt" than during the 60s?

Besides, define "corrupt"?

Del, do I really need to define corrupt in government. Your kidding right...I mean you live here, you see what our Politicians are and have done. The far right preaches we are "Christians" and have morals. Oh yeah the same people that do not think it's their responsibility to be Christian and help people as it states in the Bible, the book they believe in. They are selfish.

Then you have the far left who want to help those who do not help themselves. I have said this before, we need to get rid of both of these parties! They are so self indulged in their own career and in my opinion are not doing the best they can as leaders.

Now, what about the 80's. Want to talk about a bad time, the all about me era, the cocaine era, the greedy era...where getting rich at all cost was the norm...please!

What about the killing of JFK? Please don't tell me you are one of those nutters who think the goverment killed Kennedy?

Oswald was a damn good shot is all. No big mystery there! Plus he was a total looney bird.

Del, I honestly do not know who killed Kennedy as the government will not release this infiormation until I am a very old woman or dead. Wonder why they won't release the info if there is nothing to hide. And please don't tell me you think Oswald was alone in this?

Oh crap! I was not in favor of that war either. But mostly because we didn't fight it to win. But we were THE GOOD GUYS in that conflict, not the other way around.

I don't see how being in favor of LIBERTY makes us corrupt. You think that regimes like Pol Pot's was better than what we had to offer. Pol Pot killed 1/3 of population of his own country. And remember that other commie Stalin? He killed something like 20 million.

No, we are the good guys. And the anti-war nutters only played into the hands of the bad guys.

Del, that war that was fought by our brave men is still a bad mark on us. It should have ended long before it did. And that is what people were protesting. To many brave men kept dying as this was allowed to go on and on and on.

The government didn't create the ills of or society. But if you think that smoking pot is a postive thing then I disagree. And all goverments are corrupt to some extent. But especially the government that becomes "more goverment" like your lefty hippy pals wanted (ie. socialized medicine/welfare etc.).

The government Leads the ills of society. My point about pot is this. If alcohol is legal, then so should pot be. If you think alcohol is not the worst drug in America you are kidding yourself! By the way under the Bush administration, we had the largest government in history!!!!

Why do you think it's the goverment's responsibility to save people? We don't need the goverment to be our saviour, we just need the government to get out of our way. Stop taxing us to death for stupid social programs would be a good start.

I personally think people have to take responsibility for their own actions, but the Government sets the laws that we are supposed to abide by. They are not my savior, but I have to live by the laws of the country I am in. I agree we pay to much in taxes,but I do not think all social programs are bad.

Charles Manson was convicted of seven counts of murder and sentenced to death...but he did not kill anybody.

Yes, but he was the sick leader who had people follow him and commit these gruesome murders

I personally think people have to take responsibility for their own actions, but the Government sets the laws that we are supposed to abide by. They are not my savior, but I have to live by the laws of the country I am in. I agree we pay to much in taxes,but I do not think all social programs are bad.

Who is the government? Who makes the laws?

But if you think "hippies" lived by the laws of this country by and large you are mistaken. The rampant drug use of the counter-culture, the open opposition to draft laws and the desecration of our national symbols just to name a few of their numerous violations.

And I don't want to support ANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS with my tax dollars. Not welfare, not "cash for clunkers" and not public education for idiots.

Sink or swim is my motto.

At least when my tax dollars go to defense spending I can at least say I got something for my money. Plus it gives people REAL JOBS, who spend their income on housing, education and other durable goods. Money that goes to welfare is LOST money. Right down the drain.

Charles Manson was convicted of seven counts of murder and sentenced to death...but he did not kill anybody.

Yes, but he was the sick leader who had people follow him and commit these gruesome murders

Almost like people following 'The Obama' ;)

Who is the government? Who makes the laws?

But if you think "hippies" lived by the laws of this country by and large you are mistaken. The rampant drug use of the counter-culture, the open opposition to draft laws and the desecration of our national symbols just to name a few of their numerous violations.

And I don't want to support ANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS with my tax dollars. Not welfare, not "cash for clunkers" and not public education for idiots.

Sink or swim is my motto.

At least when my tax dollars go to defense spending I can at least say I got something for my money. Plus it gives people REAL JOBS, who spend their income on housing, education and other durable goods. Money that goes to welfare is LOST money. Right down the drain.

Almost like people following 'The Obama' ;)

Hello Del!

Great sharing the conversation with you, but you have your opinion just a I have mine. We can agree to disagree and move on.....obviously neither of us are ever going to change our opionion on this issue:-)

Archived