King of the Marshalls

BonzoLikeDrumer

Yes. They didn't take off (even after Marshall pushing them at NAMM over the past few years).

I met and talked with Jim Marshall about them. He gave me a few Mode Four grey Marshall t-shirts and posed with me for a few pictures (met his wife and daughter, too). Very nice people.

One piece of trivia: Jim Marshall was Mitch Mitchell's drum teacher at one time (and they were life long friends). Sadly, Mitch passed away over the past 6 months or so (while on a break from the Experience Hendrix tour with Billy Cox and other guests).

R B)

Not surprising a Marshall hybrid amp didn't take off. Personally I have no use for anything Marshall makes now. Any of their famous designs have been cloned and are being sold by boutique makers that still hand wire an amp and cost much less than Marshall's overpriced PCB junk. The few hand wired amps Marshall does offer aren't worth paying up for just so your amp can say Marshall on it.

350W solid state isn't all that loud anyway. The 350W thing is an advertising stunt that would only appeal to people who don't know how amps work or what the differences between a tube amp and a solid state amp are . All those people see is 350W and their wallet falls out as they dream of being the loudest guitarist on their block. They are soon broken hearted when they figure out their 350W solid state stack can't keep up with a 1X12 40W tube combo.

Those amps were designed with the player who scoops his mids in mind. When you take away the most distinctive third of your signal, you need a lot more power to cut through the mix, hence 350W. The reason they didn't take off is because they were too expensive for the average metal player and too "solid state-ish" for the average tone snob.

Archived