Is there a Page Cord?

McSeven

I saw on Wikipedia. They stated that Hendrix has a Hendrix Cord. Which could be illustrated in sound by Purple Haze and Fire.

So what could Page's cord be. I think that his cord signature would be the opening bars of Whole Lotta Love/Custard Pie.

I don't know? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I saw on Wikipedia. They stated that Hendrix has a Hendrix Cord. Which could be illustrated in sound by Purple Haze and Fire.

So what could Page's cord be. I think that his cord signature would be the opening bars of Whole Lotta Love/Custard Pie.

I don't know? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

The Page "chord" would be the opening of The Rain Song.

Bear in mind that the dominant 7#9 was not "invented" by Hendrix, he just used it a lot as the foundation of many of his songs.

I don't think Page has a signature chord so to speak. That's one the great things about him. Vortually every composition is essentially unique unto itself. His way of using the major scale in unison with the blues and pentatonic scales when soloing could however be his "signature" style, though other players use it as well.

The Page "chord" would be the opening of The Rain Song.

So his Cord phrase has a ringing sound to it.

I always thought it was the riffs like Immigrant song and Wanton song. Also, I thought that his Wa Wa pedals were a part of his sound and tone.

Why do you say the Rain Song?

Mc7

So his Cord phrase has a ringing sound to it.

I always thought it was the riffs like Immigrant song and Wanton song. Also, I thought that his Wa Wa pedals were a part of his sound and tone.

Why do you say the Rain Song?

Mc7

Well that's a more general look at his whole *sound*, the original poster was talking about a specific chord that is characteristically Page. At least that's how I interpreted it.

edit: sorry not the Original poster (you, ha), but Reggie when he mentioned the Rain Song.

Well that's a more general look at his whole *sound*, the original poster was talking about a specific chord that is characteristically Page. At least that's how I interpreted it.

edit: sorry not the Original poster (you, ha), but Reggie when he mentioned the Rain Song.

I used the Rain Song example mainly because of it's melodic and harmonic qualities (almost arpeggiotic, is that a word?), and, it's probably my favourite piece of music.

As Ev and Cactus said Jimmy is so three dimensional with his tunings, time signatures, chord structures, riffs and solos that you can't really single out anything because he is the whole package.

Then you have his effects and the subtle use of them that makes the song.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jimmy pioneered ambient miking of amplifiers and drums etc, that adds another element to the final product both in the studio and on stage.

You could say he has a lot of strings to his bow! :D

There are a few possibilities here. Octave-jumping chord fragments (F# in Immigrant Song, G in The Wanton Song); arpeggiated minors where the low E and A strings are unplayed (Stairway, Tea For One); the various drones of the "CIA" alternate tunings (Kashmir, Friends, Bron-y-Aur, Gallows Pole, Poor Tom); and the quirky time signatures (Black Dog, The Ocean, Four Sticks). Page's post-Zep career has explored these sounds in even more depth.

Overall, I'd suggest Page is a more intuitive player than some of the more technically accomplished rock guitarists out there - a Ritchie Blackmore may be more fluid in his solos, Tony Iommi or Angus Young more elaborate in their riffing, Billy Gibbons more tasty in his licks - whereas Page has the greater variety of styles and the superior talent for playing to his own strengths. Communication Breakdown or Whole Lotta Love, for example, are hardly complex arrangements (beginner guitarists can learn them easily), but Page knew killer hooks when he heard them and used his production skills to maximize their impact.

Is there an all-purpose, instantly recognizable Jimmy Page chord? Not really. An instantly recognizable Jimmy Page sound? Listen to the LZ canon and hear for yourself.

I think this is a song of hope...

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the way Page in standard tuning would play the commonal garden chords like a maj or min triad but used open strings to make them sound different from the full barred chord, almost as though he was playing in a diffrent tuning something Alex lifeson would later do to great effect in Rush.

I remember hearing a Yardbird's recording of one of the last show's before everyone split, Page was ripping up the solo's! It kind of echo's the ending of Black Dog (studio). Every time he ran up the fret board going through the scale, the crowd roared, (maybe it was some thing new to them?)!

So I think maybe the last lick's on the studio recording of Black Dog sum's it up for me on Page's mark on the world of the guitar.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

One thing I have noticed about Page's playing is how he strums "up" often times. Starting at the high e string and strumming up to the low E string. For me that sound is very characteristic of his style. But I agree with the other remarks that mention his unique chord rhythms, and of course his Les Paul and the wah.

FWIW

Happy Saturday- Tralf

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

One thing I have noticed about Page's playing is how he strums "up" often times. Starting at the high e string and strumming up to the low E string. For me that sound is very characteristic of his style. But I agree with the other remarks that mention his unique chord rhythms, and of course his Les Paul and the wah.

FWIW

Happy Saturday- Tralf

If I absolutely had to choose a "Page Chord"(so many choices), I would choose the A-shape E chord with the low E in the bass at the beggining of WLL, GTBT, at the very end of DAC, some live versions of communication breakdown, used in the electric part of ramble on, and Im sure its used in others. Some other chords that are relitively unique to Page are the C-ad-9 used in over the hills, and in the break to the solo in stairway. Also the variations of A-7 used in the part right after the solo in Heartbreaker.

So what could Page's cord be. I don't know? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Jimmy purchased a classic Cord 810 automobile while on tour in Los Angeles in March 1970.

Bear in mind that the dominant 7#9 was not "invented" by Hendrix, he just used it a lot as the foundation of many of his songs.

I don't think Page has a signature chord so to speak. That's one the great things about him. Vortually every composition is essentially unique unto itself. His way of using the major scale in unison with the blues and pentatonic scales when soloing could however be his "signature" style, though other players use it as well.

Jimmy used Hendrixs' E7th with the augmented 9th in The Lemon Song!

Ya think he'll be sued for using it without permission? :rolleyes:;)

Archived