The "object" on the Presence album cover

z1inspector

"There was no working title for the album. The record-jacket designer said `When I think of the group, I always think of power and force. There's a definite presence there.' That was it. He wanted to call it `Obelisk'. To me, it was more important what was behind the obelisk. The cover is very tongue-in-cheek, to be quite honest. Sort of a joke on [the film] 2001. I think it's quite amusing."

-Jimmy Page

having obelisks/monoliths on album covers was a trendy and artsy thing in the seventies. The Who made fun of it by titling their album "who's next," as in, who's the next person to have these silly album covers? (the cover showed the group in front of a tower). However it was executed quite well on Presence because the message was entirely true.

Designer Storm Thorgesen (who also did some of Pink Floyd's iconic covers) is lucky he got the job at all. Some time earlier, he brought a proposal for an album cover to Zeppelin's office. On the cover was a tennis court. When asked the meaning he said "Racket! Get it?". That went over like a fart in a steam room.

The important thing to remember about "Who's Next" is that they are pissing on it ...literally...which makes the cover all the more hilarious..and of course adds another layer of irony to album title...

Yes, the double meaning. It's the Who's "next" album, as well as asking "Who's next?" to take a leak. :lol:

I always thought the Presence album cover was a bit odd for Zep at this time. Sure odd is peculiar term for a Zep cover but these people just didn't seem to fit into Led Zeppelin somehow. The object is objectionable, but acceptable.

The models were right weird.

having obelisks/monoliths on album covers was a trendy and artsy thing in the seventies.

It is a very interesting statement, which reminded me for some reason of the haunting movie Picnic at the Hanging Rock by Peter Weir (filmed in 1975). Perhaps the idea of power and magnetic force of all sorts dominated the minds in the seventies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

I believe that most all of this groups work was meant to make you think! Think on your own behalf, I can't see any real "cool" or "trendy" type cover's in any of there collection. Most of there cover art is of odd or unusual thing's the object on "Presence" is like this as well, some thing to be looked at. And the music in this album was sort of different (besides "Tea For One") then the earlier Zeppelin stuff.

The other possibility is it's just a picture of the definition to the word "Obelisk" or "Monolith". Some thing that is seen as an outstanding or worth wild thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

I believe that most all of this groups work was meant to make you think! Think on your own behalf, I can't see any real "cool" or "trendy" type cover's in any of there collection. Most of there cover art is of odd or unusual thing's the object on "Presence" is like this as well, some thing to be looked at. And the music in this album was sort of different (besides "Tea For One") then the earlier Zeppelin stuff.

The other possibility is it's just a picture of the definition to the word "Obelisk" or "Monolith". Some thing that is seen as an outstanding or worth wild thing.

Oh, now I know, so you mean that was the Obelisk, not the Monolith?... :slapface: my bad, my closest association with "Monolith" is that movie I mentioned. Creepy movie in a nice kind of way...

Oh, now I know, so you mean that was the Obelisk, not the Monolith?... :slapface: my bad, my closest association with "Monolith" is that movie I mentioned. Creepy movie in a nice kind of way...

It's all in how you see it Vega, everyone has there own love's and hate's. Or, it's just an important object of some simple value.

The important thing to remember about "Who's Next" is that they are pissing on it ...literally...which makes the cover all the more hilarious..and of course adds another layer of irony to album title...

Hmmm, I wouldn't say that. According to the photographer, most of the band were unable to.....heed nature's call so to speak, so he tipped a container of rain water on the sides of the slab to make it look like they had done their business.

Archived