New Guitars

I'd get a Fender. But like Ev pointed out, your budget has a lot to do with what you get.

Indeed! Even some Fenders are garbage. It can get really dodgy when you go to "entry-level" instruments. It pays to invest in something quality. I'd rather wait and spend $400 on something I can actually play on happily than $200 on something that's gonna leave me frustrated and disillusioned. Believe me, I've bought $100 guitars and I've bought $8000 guitars. You don't have to go crazy, but the leap from say, a "Strat Pac" guitar to an $399 Highway 1 Strat is worlds apart. Huge worlds! Likewise the difference between a $199 Epiphone Les Paul Special to a $400 Epi Les Paul Standard. Seriously!

If it was me I'd get a Squier Classic Vibe Tele or Duo Sonic and a headphone amp. Great guitar for the money and a headphone amp will come in handy for practice that won't drive the rest of the fam crazy. That or you could get one of those little Vox battery amps that plugs directly into the guitar.

I just started a year ago and am a student (so I don't have a ton of money). After learning on a shit acoustic for a few months I decided to buy an electric. I didn't want to buy a squier and then have to discard it in a few months, so I decided to work a little harder and get something with a bit more quality. I searched ebay and craiglists up and down and ended up getting a near brand new MIM strat for $300. I mean its not a great guitar, but it is very solid and for a "beginner" guitar very nice..it can even be upgraded as a project guitar later once you get nicer guitars (if you do). Even last week, I bought a 1 and 1/2 year old Epi Les Paul Standard for $350 that included a matching strap, gig bag, a very nice 15' (or 18') cord and with no noticeable blemishes/faults. So in conclusion, if it is was me I'd shop around on craiglists, go play a few guitars, and try to cut a deal (can always talk people down trying to get rid of things..."Ya Ive looked at a few and have a few more to look at, but I'll keep you in touch..."). I am in austin currently so there might be a few more around, but just take a look.

I mean hell, I'm trying to unload my MIM strat (its a fat strat) for a standard MIM strat, and theres tons of standard MIM strats on craiglists ranging from $250-$400 (some with upgraded pickups etc) and I can't get a taker for mine for $300 to get a new one.

But ya, depends on your musical tastes, but a strat is always a good choice, i really like the epi standard (havent played it much yet) and I like the sound of some telecasters too.

:0 I might get this one for $219.95 :D It's on the site for details!

untitled.jpg

All I can say is play it first. It doesn't appear a bad choice if you want the Les Paul vibe. I have to echo danelectro's post re an amp. If you're a beginner and just going to be getting into guitar in your room and such, an amp is the least to consider. If I were in that position and had $300, I'd allocate $275 for the guitar, and find a little practice amp for $25. Maybe at a pawn shop. Heck, with a distortion box adding a little hair, I used to plug into my dad's hi-fi! ;)

A lot of people that frequent guitar forums buy the cheapy Agile and SX stuff from Rondo. Many love it but just as many if not more start asking questions about how to make the guitars play and sound better shortly after receiving it. Since everything they sell is online I wouldn't recommend that for a person just starting out. There are plenty of decent playable entry level guitars the OP will be able to choose from locally.

My advice for beginners is this.

1) Buy a guitar that requires as little maintenance as possible i.e. few moving parts and simple design. A fixed bridge design is the way to go, avoid Strat style guitars with floating trems. With that in mind something like a Telecaster is about as simple as it gets, string changes are easy, no tail piece to deal with, 3 saddles etc. The Tele design is the epitome of simplicity and it's tough as nails, no angled headstock to break and it will take a beating and play as good as new.

2) Buy the best guitar you can get and go easy on amps and effects. The reality is it takes several months, maybe years of practice before you make anything but noise and the easier the guitar is to play the more likely you'll practice. Volume and gadgetry to make cool noises shouldn't be a concern until you have learned how to play; and that means doing more than duffing the intro to Smoke On The Water on one string in the wrong key.

3) Save $15-20 for a cheap tuner. If you are out of tune your guitar will sit in the corner.

4) Consider used. Ebay and craigslist yield some great deals.

I'm going to mention this again because these are great guitars for the coin. It seems pretty spendy for a Squier but the Classic Vibe Series shares many design elements with the more expensive Fender's. The medium jumbo frets and 9.5" radius makes the CV series a joy to play. The Duo Sonic's 24" scale would be great for hands not accustomed to gripping chords and stretching.

553698.jpg

Body: Pine

Finish: Polyester

Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern "C" Shape

Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5" (241 mm)

Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo

Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

Nut Width: 1.65" (42 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Tuning Keys: Vintage style tuning machines

Bridge: Vintage style Tele bridge plate w/brass barrel saddles

Pickguard: 1-ply black

Neck pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)

Bridge pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)

Pickup switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup

Controls: Volume, Tone

Strings: (.009 - .042) Nickel Plated Steel

558026.jpg

Body: Basswood

Finish: Polyester

Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern "C" Shape

Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5" (241 mm)

Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo

Scale Length: 24" (610 mm)

Nut Width: 1.65" (42 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Tuning Keys: Vintage style tuning machines with white plastic buttons

Bridge: Vintage style, 3-saddle bridge

Pickguard: 3-ply Tortoise shell

Neck pickup: Custom Duo-Sonic pickup (AlNiCo V)

Bridge pickup: Custom Duo-Sonic pickup (AlNiCo V)

Pickup switching: 3-Position Toggle - Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup

Controls: Volume, Tone

Strings: (.009 - .042) Nickel Plated Steel

That's all fine but lets remember the OP asked for a new guitar for less then 300 dollars. Not somebody's used junk or more expensive instruments.

Because new junk would be better? :rolleyes: The OP is asking for advice about something they likely know little about. There is NOTHING wrong with buying used gear. Especially if it get you a higher quality instrument.

Because new junk would be better?

You can buy junk at any price point. Paying more doesn't guaranty a better instrument. I'd say it would be much harder for an inexperienced buyer to get something worthwhile on the used market than buying something new that can be returned if found lacking and that has a warranty. In the used market you have the whole issue of counterfeits being passed off on inexperienced buyers, especially on Ebay.

I agree it's much better to buy locally, if possible, and to play as many instruments as you can, as each one is different, even if they came off the same assembly line. That's the best scenario.

Well, this made me happy and mad at the same time, my grandfather decided to give me his semi-hollow Ibenez sunburst guitar, but thank you guys so much! :D

Nice! Now tell your dad to hand over the $300 and go get an amp, a tuner, a stand, instructional video, Zeppelin songbook, etc! :D

Nice! Now tell your dad to hand over the $300 and go get an amp, a tuner, a stand, instructional video, Zeppelin songbook, etc! :D

lol

If I were you, (if you are still looking), look out for Maya guitars. These were 70's copy guitars, made (usually) to a high standerd. Here is a website me and my dad started on them, we are doing it because not much is known about them and between us we have 4 or 5 mayas: http://www.mayaguitars.webs.com/ . My les paul is on there.

BTW if anybody has any info on mayas, could you pm me thanks.

Enjoy the Ibenez ;)

yeh wel, well well.....lol

Thanks Evster ;)

The only thing is, i cant look at the catalogs as i need a username and password, any ideas?

You're welcome. Yes, I realise you have to subscribe to the site for a fee, but I figured since you and your dad had a website dedicated to the make, the nominal fee might be worth it to you. :)

The Rondo is a Chinese made guitar, they can make an acceptable instrument for a lower cost because of the money they save by only paying there worker's a few dollar's a week in that country.

I have a Chinese made Yamaha acoustic that I got new a few month's ago for about $350.00 US, it's a proper playing guitar (but not professional)! I did have to look thru servile of them to find one with a strait neck, but I like it and I should get 5 or so good years out of it.

Archived