Michael Jackson in hospital

longdistancewinner

Giving a pic of yourself in an oxygen chamber to the press with the caveat that the word "bizarre" be included in the story seems like creating publicity to me, and definitely in the Barnum mode. But, yes, the "bubble" existence he had was debilitating from childhood. I'm sure life with an abusive parent didn't help matters either.

Fingers crossed. I started a Michael appreciation thread for the folks who enjoy his work. ;)

Heck yeah. Not sure what's not to appreciate, the guy was amazing. I've been jamming Off The Wall all freaking day, very good stuff. Amazing guitar work from Phil Upchurch, who played on Electric Mud and Larry Carlton a contemporary of Hendrix. Insane grooves.

One thing is for sure all the energy he is being sent off with can't a bad thing. I'll be in your thread soon. Much LOVE.

Wow! This has been an interesting read. It’s amazing how some people react to something like this. I’ll never understand the all the negativity in this world. I mean, really, what’s the point in degrading a dead person. But, that’s just my opinion...

Now back to MJ. I was a big fan back in the day. I particularly liked the late 70's/early 80's stuff (my high school years). Anytime I hear “Wanna Be Starting Something” or “Rock With You”, it takes me back to a really fun period in my life. It’s a tragedy that he died so young. RIP Michael...

Heck yeah. Not sure what's not to appreciate, the guy was amazing. I've been jamming Off The Wall all freaking day, very good stuff. Amazing guitar work from Phil Upchurch, who played on Electric Mud and Larry Carlton a contemporary of Hendrix. Insane grooves.

One thing is for sure all the energy he is being sent off with can't a bad thing. I'll be in your thread soon. Much LOVE.

Wow, I always wondered who did the guitar and bass work in Off The Wall! :) Love that riff in the title track. Thanks! ;) I played that wonderful track at work...everyone went nuts: "[it] make me feel like dancin', I'm gonna dance the night away".:beer:

Not sure I've seen it mentioned yet, but MJ's influence in pretty much single-handedly transforming MTV from a fledgling cable channel into a media behemoth was no small matter.

Elvis is the only other performer who could somewhat compare, and he easily surpasses even Elvis in magnitude of his influence. MJ was WAY MORE well-known and had more fans than even Elvis.

Last night they had interviews with people from practically every continent expressing their grief and how they had been fans throughout their life.

Pretty amazing.

When I listen to this, I wonder if half the modern r&b artists would even have a career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da1YVj98Qjs

Justin Timberlake. Um, no.

Wow again! Thanks for that musical trip! I remember this song. But you gave it a whole new light by posting it here and I'm grateful. To me, I've forgotten it :o cuz I've always been enamored with Off The Wall, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and Rock With You from Off The Wall. Also, was too busy being obsessed with Billie Jean and Beat It from Thriller. haha

So joyous isn't it?

Yep, very VERY joyous.

I am tired as heck today. Stayed up til 4AM jamming on MJ and dancing. Haven't moved like that in years.

Yes, guys! An ode. I third that emotion. ;):thumbsup:

(brb: i'm off to view the Billie Jean performance again haha [from tv])

Those gave me goosebumps. What a lovely way to pay tribute to him.

Yeah and its really cool to see people coming together in a positive way, to remember MJ. I hope its Thriller and Billy Jean and all his other great accomplishments that people ultimately remember him by!

I don't think I shared this yet with this forum, but if I did, please forgive my absent-mindedness.

I'm teaching 9th grade English in summer school right now at an alternative high school. Many of these kids seem to be lacking general knowledge about the world around us, so sometimes literature can be a total drag for them because nothing makes sense!

Yesterday morning, my first period class was talking about Farrah and MJ, and they didn't really seem to know much about either them, including MJ.

I literally dropped the sonnets that I was going to cover that day, (sonnets are a major part of the 9th grade English curriculum), and we started talking about the impacts these two people had in the world and in popular culture.

I ended up spending over an hour in both my morning and afternoon classes talking about both people.

I concentrated on the Jackson 5 because some of the kids were familiar with 80's Michael, but they didn't know much about the Jackson 5.

Beat It

Billie Jean

Thriller

Jackson-5 era Michael was such a cute kid! Seriously! He was just so adorable!

Dancin' Machine! (This one killed the kids...they didn't get the whole MoTown/disco thing going on...)

(I loved Dancin' Machine! I just love the disco/MoTown stuff, I just can't help it! These kids thought it was hilarious that I admit to listening to Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and I like disco...)

ABC

My student really have no knowledge of MoTown, so it was my duty to teach them. ;)

I think some people here need to just admit that the only thing they really knew about MJ's personal life is what the tabloids chose to tell them. Owning a monkey & buying the elephant men aren't any more relevant than a penchant for peanut butter and banana sandwiches and Crowley transcripts. :rolleyes:

And by the way....I always had it figured that everyone would own a monkey if they could. I would. :huh:

great point BongMan.

Archived