Michael Jackson in hospital

longdistancewinner

What's false about that? It's true. This guy did not make any good music since the 80's! Since then it's been stupid behavior, bad publicity stunts, questionable behavior with youngsters, fake marriages, endangering his own childs life, the list goes on.

He has been a punchline since the early 90's and now he is beloved and missed. :blink::blink:

What's that movie that just came out? Bruno or something? That they ended up cutting the clip of making fun of LaToya and Michael?(a good choice to cut it out)

What's the old saying?.... Don't know what you got til it's gone? I think that applies here and many people must have learned something about how we treat celebrities and people in general.

I think his music continued to be good. His behavior has been strange at times and the allegations against him didn't help him, but the music has always been good.

In recent years? Try almost 20 years. He has not been important to the music industry since the 80's.

Can you imagine how hard it is to top something like Thriller? Just because he wasn't THE artist of the moment doesn't mean he wasn't still good.

RIP Michael Jackson.

I don't think having a pet monkey is uncommon and I was surprised that anyone would bring that up as a problem.

Typical discussion with MJ hater.

Hater-The guy is a freak!

Person with a brain-What pop star isn't eccentric?

Hater-BUT HE HAS A MONKEY!

Person with a brain-huh?

What's the old saying?.... Don't know what you got til it's gone? I think that applies here and many people must have learned something about how we treat celebrities and people in general.

You'd think so, wouldn't you! I think there's some people out there who haven't, though.

I don't think having a pet monkey is uncommon and I was surprised that anyone would bring that up as a problem.

Typical discussion with MJ hater.

Hater-The guy is a freak!

Person with a brain-What pop star isn't eccentric?

Hater-BUT HE HAS A MONKEY!

Person with a brain-huh?

No one had any hate for ol' Marcel! ;)

marcel1.jpg

Personally, for me this is the real tragedy in this whole story. Watching Larry King as I write this, a doctor friend of Michael's has just said that Jackson had asked him to write a prescription for a class 3 narcotic in 2005. He is aware of Jackson taking Oxy-Cotton and having injections of Demerol. These pathetic Hollywood so-called doctors who'll write any prescription to gain access to a mega-stars inner circle need to be held accountable and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Danny Ganns, Anna Nicole and now the brilliant Michael Jackson, what a waste!

Nevermind Anna Nicole Smith. Elvis and Heath Ledger used those drugs and it contributed to their death.

Last night they had interviews with people from practically every continent expressing their grief and how they had been fans throughout their life.

Pretty amazing.

....this stirs emotions me....I am very well aware of his influence....timeless....Michael's dance moves have created so many choreographers in the Indian Film Industry alone...there are many careers started because of his innovation....He is an Dance Institution...Thank you Michael for giving hope to so many budding young dancers and choreographers, because of you they are "somebody" today....

TypeO thank you for posting this... :)

michael_jackson-thumb.jpg

....and Michael, you were loved by India when you visited there some time ago, I am so glad that we told you this... I have no regrets....and I am sure that you know that you are forever loved there.... :wub: :wub:

I think he could easily have had a career as a dancer, even if he hadn't been such a good singer. I must admit that even not counting the moonwalk, it's still the dancing I remember best from the Motown 25 show. I hope that's now re-broadcast soon and often.

Giving a pic of yourself in an oxygen chamber to the press with the caveat that the word "bizarre" be included in the story seems like creating publicity to me, and definitely in the Barnum mode.

Hard to know whether that sort of thing was the action of a publicist, rather than MJ himself, or whether maybe he was the victim of bad advice about such matters.

Not sure I've seen it mentioned yet, but MJ's influence in pretty much single-handedly transforming MTV from a fledgling cable channel into a media behemoth was no small matter.

Elvis is the only other performer who could somewhat compare, and he easily surpasses even Elvis in magnitude of his influence. MJ was WAY MORE well-known and had more fans than even Elvis.

Last night they had interviews with people from practically every continent expressing their grief and how they had been fans throughout their life.

Pretty amazing.

He didn't have more influence than Elvis. Before Elvis black artists could not even get played on the radio. That alone makes Elvis more influential. Elvis brought black and white music together. Without that you may not have even heard of some the legends. Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin were all influenced by Elvis.

Elvis has sold over 1 billion records worldwide. I would say someone who has sold that much music has more fans.

He didn't have more influence than Elvis. Before Elvis black artists could not even get played on the radio. That alone makes Elvis more influential. Elvis brought black and white music together. Without that you may not have even heard of some the legends. Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin were all influenced by Elvis.

Elvis has sold over 1 billion records worldwide. I would say someone who has sold that much music has more fans.

...I suppose it would be fair to say, each influential artist did his/her part, then another artist further the cause, and so on.........they all are innovators and must be remembered for their individual contribution...Yes, you are indeed right about Elvis...Both Michael and Elvis are Kings, but in their respective times.......Michael had dual purpose he was innovative dancer...

To begin with, I was speaking in numbers, and the vastness of his fan base.

He's just been selling record for a longer period of time, many of which sold for the long period after his death.

MJs around 3/4 of a billion already before he died.

What exactly is your point, and how does it make anything clearer? FWIW I'm a huge Elvis fan. It just seems you're not going towards anything. "Michael may be important, but not as much as..." Is there a point? Seems to me you just want to be contradictory. So make your point.

MY point is that MJ was the most recognizable LIVING entertainer on Earth. I'm not taking points away from Dylan or Springsteen. For Pete's sake, the guy was HUGE! Just admit it. Quit splitting hairs.

^ perhaps if we don't feed the troll, it'll lose interest...

I have to say, I'm way more gutted about this than I thought I'd be. A song of his was playing at a book store today and I thought hey I love that song! and then I remembered again and thought oh God that's right he's gone. Fuck.

^ perhaps if we don't feed the troll, it'll lose interest...

I have to say, I'm way more gutted about this than I thought I'd be. A song of his was playing at a book store today and I thought hey I love that song! and then I remembered again and thought oh God that's right he's gone. Fuck.

But he's not too far away. He's just resting, probably wondering what all the fuss is about and trying to get himself ready for his next rehearsal.

It is an interesting change of venue.

Not sure I've seen it mentioned yet, but MJ's influence in pretty much single-handedly transforming MTV from a fledgling cable channel into a media behemoth was no small matter.

Elvis is the only other performer who could somewhat compare, and he easily surpasses even Elvis in magnitude of his influence. MJ was WAY MORE well-known and had more fans than even Elvis.

Pretty amazing.

Beatles influence also compares. Take them out and there really isn't near as much popularity with the British groups that came around afterward including Led Zeppelin. The Beatles also pretty much created album oriented rock. Their biggest album "Sgt. Peppers" had no number 1 hits. But this isn't about the Beatles. Jackson's influence is right up there with Elvis and the Beatles.

But he's not too far away. He's just resting, probably wondering what all the fuss is about and trying to get himself ready for his next rehearsal.

It is an interesting change of venue.

You're right. That's lovely, thanks :) Maybe because I don't know how good it gets later on or whatever, but right now I'm also so happy to be alive it's ridiculous, if that makes sense...

Deepak Chopra was just on Larry King Live and the guy was very honest and blunt about the enabling doctors in Hollywood whose foot in the door as part of the entourage is to be very liberal with writing prescriptions at stars' request. He said when MJ asked him for a prescription and Deepak refused, but would follow up with concerned calls about the pills matter, Michael would not return calls until the subject changed. This isn't meant to sidetrack the thread out of honouring his memory; that was just one aspect of the program. I hope people who contributed (if indeed it gets verified they did) are exposed.

That must be some rehearsal above...expecting another thunderstorm :yesnod:

I'm not going to say any more to you about this, but growing up, I seem to recall him being a big deal still in the 90's....

Black or White

Will You Be There

You Are Not Alone

About 1993 started all those legal battles then basically not much creative stuff.

16 years of ...........

That happens in a career

Look at all the peaks and valley's of the Zep boys...

Lennon 1975 then in 1980 Double Fantasy...

Is Elvis the king of MJ ?

...and MJ didn't buy an elephant man. He tried, but he didn't, according to a friend who is up-to speed on those kinds of things, (one who is always trustworthy and RIGHT about these things).

You know I was a huge fan of Marilyn Monroe when I was a kid. It didn't really matter that she died many years before I became an an adult; her image too me was like like that of a godess. Marilyn was my "picture of lilly" just like in Townshend's song.

...Yet if I tried to buy her bones to put on my bookshelf, wouldn't anyone think that was kinda goofy?

... Or if I (being a white man) decided to dye my face black and change my perfect "English nose" to be broad and flat with flaring nostrils, and change my lips and chin to boot....

not even just a little bit scary?

And what if I decided to just wear clown clothes every where I went because it made be feel comfortable and hip...

.... wouldn't there be just a few raised eyebrows?

And what if I arranged to have scores of teenaged girls sleeping in my bed at night --- even with the consent of their parents...

... wouldn't that seem a bit bizarre to at least a couple of people --- Maybe even criminal?

But alas! I can't sing or dance. I don't have milllions of dollars or even an interesting story to tell. Just an average American Joe who goes to work everyday and mows his own lawn. Don't have a limo -- don't have an entourage. Got no lawyers or Doctors on my staff, and the only single glove I own is a baseball mit....

(although pretty cool because it's signed by ex Dodgers first baseman Steve Garvey -- see photo)...

b__steve_garvey_76.jpg

.... and that is all I have to say about that.

RIP Michael Jackson....

you flaming weirdo nutjob from planet WTF!!!!!

~natch

:superman:

(hey Lizzy, did you miss me?) :rolleyes:

You know I was a huge fan of Marilyn Monroe when I was a kid. It didn't really matter that she died many years before I became an an adult; her image too me was like like that of a godess. Marilyn was my "picture of lilly" just like in Townshend's song.

...Yet if I tried to buy her bones to put on my bookshelf, wouldn't anyone think that was kinda goofy?

... Or if I (being a white man) decided to dye my face black and change my perfect "English nose" to be broad and flat with flaring nostrils, and change my lips and chin to boot....

not even just a little bit scary?

And what if I decided to just wear clown clothes every where I went because it made be feel comfortable and hip...

.... wouldn't there be just a few raised eyebrows?

And what if I arranged to have scores of teenaged girls sleeping in my bed at night --- even with the consent of their parents...

... wouldn't that seem a bit bizarre to at least a couple of people --- Maybe even criminal?

But alas! I can't sing or dance. I don't have milllions of dollars or even an interesting story to tell. Just an average American Joe who goes to work everyday and mows his own lawn. Don't have a limo -- don't have an entourage. Got no lawyers or Doctors on my staff, and the only single glove I own is a baseball mit....

(although pretty cool because it's signed by ex Dodgers first baseman Steve Garvey -- see photo)...

b__steve_garvey_76.jpg

.... and that is all I have to say about that.

RIP Michael Jackson....

you flaming weirdo nutjob from planet WTF!!!!!

~natch

:superman:

(hey Lizzy, did you miss me?) :rolleyes:

Great writing Del... with some excellent points.

Archived