Michael Jackson in hospital

longdistancewinner

So glad to see those rehearsals. Looked liked it would have been great.

I saw them on Nightline last night - looked pretty cool.

Busting out a couple old moves, I could imagine how audiences would have absolutely gone wild when he did the pull the jacket down off his shoulder thing.

BBC link

Jackson tickets via internet draw

Tickets for a public memorial service for Michael Jackson in Los Angeles on Tuesday will be available via the internet, organisers have revealed.

Details were announced by AEG Live, the star's promoter, which owns the Staples Center where the service will be held.

Eleven thousand free tickets are to be issued for the service. Only US residents can apply.

Fans wishing to attend must register at staplescenter.com for their tickets and names will later be chosen at random.

Another 6,500 tickets will be issued for a simulcast of the service at the nearby Nokia theatre. It means a total of 17,500 fans will be able to see the events free.

Officials said 8,750 pairs of tickets would be allotted to the successful entrants after 1800 Saturday (0100 GMT Sunday) and notifications would go out later on Sunday.

Those selected will be able to get their tickets via Ticketmaster on Monday, officials said.

No other details of the service itself were revealed.

Officials appealed to other fans to watch the memorial service from their own homes, amid fears that thousands of people without tickets could flood the area.

"If you do not have a ticket, if you are not credentialed, not only will you not be allowed at these venues, you will not be allowed in this area," said Los Angeles assistant police chief Earl Paysinger.

Michael Jackson had been rehearsing for his London concerts at the Staples Center.

In a press conference, family representative Ken Sunshine said they wanted to accommodate as many fans as possible.

"It is all about the fans," he said.

Officials said that no funeral procession would take place and the memorial service would not be shown on big screens outside the venues. Free pool feeds will be made available to media organisations for broadcast, they said.

BBC link

Jackson tickets via internet draw

Tickets for a public memorial service for Michael Jackson in Los Angeles on Tuesday will be available via the internet, organisers have revealed.

Details were announced by AEG Live, the star's promoter, which owns the Staples Center where the service will be held.

Eleven thousand free tickets are to be issued for the service. Only US residents can apply.

Fans wishing to attend must register at staplescenter.com for their tickets and names will later be chosen at random.

Another 6,500 tickets will be issued for a simulcast of the service at the nearby Nokia theatre. It means a total of 17,500 fans will be able to see the events free.

Officials said 8,750 pairs of tickets would be allotted to the successful entrants after 1800 Saturday (0100 GMT Sunday) and notifications would go out later on Sunday.

Those selected will be able to get their tickets via Ticketmaster on Monday, officials said.

No other details of the service itself were revealed.

Officials appealed to other fans to watch the memorial service from their own homes, amid fears that thousands of people without tickets could flood the area.

"If you do not have a ticket, if you are not credentialed, not only will you not be allowed at these venues, you will not be allowed in this area," said Los Angeles assistant police chief Earl Paysinger.

Michael Jackson had been rehearsing for his London concerts at the Staples Center.

In a press conference, family representative Ken Sunshine said they wanted to accommodate as many fans as possible.

"It is all about the fans," he said.

Officials said that no funeral procession would take place and the memorial service would not be shown on big screens outside the venues. Free pool feeds will be made available to media organisations for broadcast, they said.

Noble idea but, how many do you think will be using there hacking skill's to make fake reply's for ticket's to the service?

This spectacle event at the Staples Center is going to cost Los Angeles tax payers over a million dollars for police overtime and city expenses at a time where there is no money for that sort of thing.

Just last month the champion Los Angeles Lakers basketball team victory parade had to be paid for by private donors.

Councilwoman says city will pick up police costs for Michael Jackson memorial

11:30 AM | July 3, 2009

L.A. City Councilwoman Jan Perry said this morning that the city will dip into a special fund set aside for extraordinary events to pay for the security costs associated with Michael Jackson's memorial service Tuesday at Staples Center.

She also asked for financial aid from private donors interested in "honoring" Jackson by helping to pay for non-security services such as sanitation and trash collection that will be needed for the massive event. Private donors came forward to cover the costs associated with last month's Lakers victory parade and celebration at the L.A. Coliseum.

"The city would deeply appreciate help to offset what are the ... non-police costs," she said, adding that if anyone was interested, they could e-mail her at City Hall to discuss it.

"Its not the first nor will it be the last time our police department is called upon to make and execute the necessary plans for special events of this magnitude," Perry said at the news conference.

Later, she told CNN that the Jackson family had not come forward to pay for taxpayer costs associated with the memorial.

"I am not aware of any activity from the family to do that," she said.

Perry represents the downtown area that includes Staples Center.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009...on-service.html

I personally think this is BULLSHIT! If they charged for the tickets then the cost would be paid for by anyone who dedided to attend this event. Why should the rest of us have to pay one cent in tax dollars in an economic climate when city workers, teachers and others are losing their jobs?

I say have the event at the O2 in London.... that venue has already been paid.

Thank you.

It remains unclear whether prescription drugs played any role in Jackson's death. The coroner's office is awaiting toxicology results. But investigators said they removed prescription drugs as well as other "medical evidence" from the singer's rented Holmby Hills home. And both the Drug Enforcement Administration and the California attorney general's office are aiding the Los Angeles Police Department in the investigation.

---Andrew Blankstein, Kimi Yoshino and Cara Mia DiMassa

I guess they could just close the Staples Center and not have events there at all if it costs the city too much.

Or the city could impose a local tax on tickets to events there.

If they want to cover the costs associated with a non-profit event of this type, then the tickets should require a city fee imposed just for the people who attend. No other local taxes need apply.

In any regular for profit event, the promoter or the sports team pays out of it's ticket revenues all costs associated with city fees and services for said event. That is part of the city permit for having venue events.

Why they think that Michaal Jackson fans can't shell out a few bucks to offset the cost to the taxpayers in this case is just silly. I'm sure each and everyone of the fans that goes to the memorial service will probably shell out $40 -$100 bucks for the next Michael Jackon DVD about his life and other shit.

Hell, I'll bet they will be spending that much just on t-shirts and other crap by vendors at the memorial event anyway.

If they want to cover the costs associated with a non-profit event of this type, then the tickets should require a city fee imposed just for the people who attend. No other local taxes need apply.

In any regular for profit event, the promoter or the sports team pays out of it's ticket revenues all costs associated with city fees and services for said event. That is part of the city permit for having venue events.

Why they think that Michaal Jackson fans can't shell out a few bucks to offset the cost to the taxpayers in this case is just silly. I'm sure each and everyone of the fans that goes to the memorial service will probably shell out $40 -$100 bucks for the next Michael Jackon DVD about his life and other shit.

Hell, I'll bet they will be spending that much just on t-shirts and other crap by vendors at the memorial event anyway.

That would be easy enough.

It would be similar to a cover charge.

--------------------------

Meanwhile, lucky fans celebrated when they got an e-mail saying they had scored the hottest ticket in town. "Congratulations, your application was successful," said the message sent to Deka Motanya, 27, of San Francisco.

She immediately Twittered: "OMG OMG OMG OMG i got tickets to the michael jackson memorial service!!!"

:huh:

Meanwhile, lucky fans celebrated when they got an e-mail saying they had scored the hottest ticket in town. "Congratulations, your application was successful," said the message sent to Deka Motanya, 27, of San Francisco.

She immediately Twittered: "OMG OMG OMG OMG i got tickets to the michael jackson memorial service!!!"

:huh:

They are sick people. They are going for all the wrong reasons. There shouldn't even be tickets to this thing. Just bad taste.

They are sick people. They are going for all the wrong reasons. There shouldn't even be tickets to this thing. Just bad taste.

As much as it pains me so, I must say that I do agree.

I'm not against a memorial, but the whole way that this has been set up doesn't seem so much a memorial as it does a media circus.

In hindsight it still seems DIGNIFIED, and compared to this nonsense QUAINT and UNDERSTATED. MJ is not yet in the ground yet "OMG OMG OMG I got tickets..."

Perhaps if you scrolled through some of the old threads in the O2 forum you could refresh your memory.

Archived