Michael Jackson in hospital

longdistancewinner

Because it seems unnatural. There are celebrities I'm fond of and support and whose work I enjoy and if they die I would be upset, but I would not be on the ground leading prayer circles and sobbing and beating my chest and acting like my parents just died.

It just seems......odd.

people grieve in their own way.

people grieve in their own way.

I sure remember the Deadheads in Golden Gate Park holding vigil for Jerry. No one questioned their devotion.

Surely Jackson's fans should be permitted to grieve in their own way.

Because it seems unnatural. There are celebrities I'm fond of and support and whose work I enjoy and if they die I would be upset, but I would not be on the ground leading prayer circles and sobbing and beating my chest and acting like my parents just died.

It just seems......odd.

I guess it's like this generation's Elvis. Anyone remember the pandemonium when he passed? Diehard fans still pretty much worship him. But I get what you're saying, people identify so much with their idols.

Anyway, RIP Michael Jackson.

I guess it's like this generation's Elvis. Anyone remember the pandemonium when he passed? Diehard fans still pretty much worship him. But I get what you're saying, people identify so much with their idols.

Anyway, RIP Michael Jackson.

You read my mind. I was far too young to remember Cobain's death. I wasn't born when Elvis passed away. For many, this will be my generation's 'Elvis death'. Give it a few years, and I'll probably be able to tell you what I was doing when I heard the news.

And, let's face it, 50 is still relatively young (I think). Any death in the music business at that age will knock fans for six. It just so happened that the person in question had been famous and infamous for near on 40 years.

You read my mind. I was far too young to remember Cobain's death. I wasn't born when Elvis passed away. For many, this will be my generation's 'Elvis death'. Give it a few years, and I'll probably be able to tell you what I was doing when I heard the news.

And, let's face it, 50 is still relatively young (I think). Any death in the music business at that age will knock fans for six. It just so happened that the person in question had been famous and infamous for near on 40 years.

Well said, young lady. Well said.

I remember when Cobain died. I was home sick from school and had MTV on because back then it wasn't shit. Suddenly the program I was watching was interrupted for an MTV News Break and Kurt Loder announced that Cobain was dead and that it was suicide. I can't say I was much of a Nirvana fan, but I did like Smells Like Teen Spirit so I was definitely in "are you for real?" mode, but I was more disturbed by the fact he killed himself than the fact he was dead.

Come tomorrow, after work, I'm gonna "beat it" and...sing, "gotta leave the 9 to 5 upon the shelf...and just 'enjoy' [my]self...livin' off the wall. Life ain't so bad at all."

Such virtuosity, bestowed upon us effortlessly. Dying at only 50 years of age.

michael-jackson.jpg

:beer:

Well said, young lady. Well said.

Aww, aren't you a sweetheart? :) Thank you.

I remember when Cobain died. I was home sick from school and had MTV on because back then it wasn't shit. Suddenly the program I was watching was interrupted for an MTV News Break and Kurt Loder announced that Cobain was dead and that it was suicide. I can't say I was much of a Nirvana fan, but I did like Smells Like Teen Spirit so I was definitely in "are you for real?" mode, but I was more disturbed by the fact he killed himself than the fact he was dead.

I was about 8/9 when he died. I remember Nirvana's music being a lot more prolific a year or two after he passed away, but I can't say that I remember the band before Cobain's suicide.

I think - as has been the case with Elvis, Lennon and Cobain - Michael Jackson's music will probably grow to 'immortality' status very quickly. He wasn't my favourite artist, but his music has never been lost on me. Thriller was the soundtrack to my 7th year in school when I was 17/18. Everytime I hear it, I'm instantly back in my common room laughing with mates again.

What does that mean? I've never heard it before...

Sadly I suspect there are more parallels between The King of Pop and The King of Rock and Roll than their respective musical legacies. People who are so out of this world famous tend to have tumultuous lives, what with hangers-on, doctors and prescriptions, crazy schedules, and great disparities between public adulation and private isolation - who, after all, really can relate to their circumstances?

But they both, along with few others, transcend their musical niche and become cultural icons. So you're right, this is definitely one of those moments when you say you know exactly what you were doing when...

The coroner has just confirmed MJ's passing, so sad

I guess it's a good thing it' been 29 years since John Bonham's death, most of the grieving is over.

I just wonder if you'd have said the same thing if one of the surviving member of Led Zeppelin had just passed. <_<

If one of the surviving members of Led Zeppelin died today, I would be upset. If you had bothered to read all of my posts in this thread, you'd have seen me saying that there are celebrities I am fond of and whose work I enjoy and if they died, I would be upset. Surviving members of Led Zeppelin fall into that category.

There's a difference between being gutted and upset and then acting like you just found out your child or spouse has died. I don't understand people who place celebrities on the same level as they would members of their own family.

However nowhere did I state that they couldn't act this way. Just that I didn't understand it. Next time read everything I've said before you critcize me for a piece of it.

What does that mean? I've never heard it before...

Sadly I suspect there are more parallels between The King of Pop and The King of Rock and Roll than their respective musical legacies. People who are so out of this world famous tend to have tumultuous lives, what with hangers-on, doctors and prescriptions, crazy schedules, and great disparities between public adulation and private isolation - who, after all, really can relate to their circumstances?

But they both, along with few others, transcend their musical niche and become cultural icons. So you're right, this is definitely one of those moments when you say you know exactly what you were doing when...

The coroner has just confirmed MJ's passing, so sad

To be 'knocked for six' is a phrase meaning to take someone by surprise or upset them. I thought it was a global phrase, but only just read that it's British and/or Australian. So, sorry about that :blush:

To be 'knocked for six' is a phrase meaning to take someone by surprise or upset them. I thought it was a global phrase, but only just read that it's British and/or Australian. So, sorry about that :blush:

It's a saying that from countries that play Cricket, please dont appologise, its their ignorance not yours. ;)

Regards, Danny

Oh it's no problem, thanks for explaining :)

It's a saying that from countries that play Cricket, please dont appologise, its their ignorance not yours. ;)

Regards, Danny

Classy <_<

Wow! I hope this isn't true, regardless of my feelings about the man's extra curricular interests.

So Farrah, now Micheal? It comes in threes they say.

*waits*

I've never been a fan, but if it wasn't for the "extra-curricular" activities, i would probably feel a little more sorrow than i can come up with.

Edit: Farrah's struggle was very sad. I feel for her family.

Oh it's no problem, thanks for explaining :)

Classy <_<

Hi 'Patrycja'

Only joking, "Hitting a Six" is a real big thing in Cricket, not something we English are that good at, at the moment that is. :D

Kind Regards, Danny

Will never forget you, Michael...

dangerous2wr.gif

Hey, Michael, I'm gonna "Keep on with the force, don't stop...don't stop 'til you get enough."

I have to admit I dug his moves, no one else like him. I did buy Thriller too.

Man, can you imagine the funerals in LA this week.

:(

Whew....

hmmm CNN just said his family said he could have been abusing Rx drugs.

Agreed and nicely put. It's just shocking - 50 is very young and although I wasn't a big fan, he was an incredible performer and left an indellible mark on the music world. It's just a shame and very sad.

this has definately hit our family for six...... my 20 and 22 yo kids are HUGE fans.

the michael jackson music is playing LOUD at our house right now.

death does effect people in different ways. i remember when my mother died, i was 13, and i was feeling like " why hasn't time stood still? this is horrible, why are all these people still going about their daily lives like nothing has happened, damn it! "

what i am trying to say is, however people react to this news, just let them. it's a personal thing.

Whew....

Definitely, I hear you, Hotplant. This moment in time for me is one of those "where were you when" moments. I'm still in shock. I really loved Jackson, since his child times with the Jackson 5 especially the song "The Love You Save". He was all the rage in 7th grade at my school. Kids were choosing to perform that song at my school's "sing" concerts. All my classmates (13 yrs old) were crazy about him! Our younger schoolmates sure did learn the alphabet without effort thanks to "ABC, Easy as 1,2,3". :)

Whew....

hmmm CNN just said his family said he could have been abusing Rx drugs.

I've got CNN on as well and heard that about the Rx drugs. It's hard to say right now - I'm sure there are going to be a lot of speculations and theories until more facts are revealed.

Archived