Friends going to U2 in Ireland next month

Deborah J

Hello All!

Maybe you can help me with this. I have four friends, all male going to the U2 concert in Dublin next month. Mind you they all live in Florida and the Bahamas and U2 is in Tampa and they would only have a few hours drive or flight, but they wanted to see them in Ireland. They love golf and pubs and I was wondering what would be some really great things for them to do in and or around Dublin. These guys live life to the fullest so any ideas from those of you who live there or have traveled there would be appreciated. Not just the touristy things but really give them the feel of Ireland.

There's a great amphibious vehicle tour, I think it's called the Duck boat or similar - you all have to wear mad viking hats and scare passers-by, and the vehicle drives into the river and floats along past U2's Windmill Studios giving you a great riverside view of it.

Also the Clarence Hotel owned by Bono ( and maybe the rest of the band - can't remember!) is great for a cuppa, vino or hot chocolate, and they sell souvenirs. :)

There's a great amphibious vehicle tour, I think it's called the Duck boat or similar - you all have to wear mad viking hats and scare passers-by, and the vehicle drives into the river and floats along past U2's Windmill Studios giving you a great riverside view of it.

Also the Clarence Hotel owned by Bono ( and maybe the rest of the band - can't remember!) is great for a cuppa, vino or hot chocolate, and they sell souvenirs. :)

:lol: That tour sounds like a hoot!

I would love to go to Dublin to see U2!

I have been there twice and my son lived there for two months last summer.

Here are some suggestions for your friends:

Visit St. Stephen's Green and Phoenix Park for some beautiful gardens.

DSC00807.jpg

Do a Irish Music Pub Crawl which begins at Gogarty's Pub in the Temple Bar area. Here is a picture of Gogarty's.

DSC00023.jpg

Visit Dublin Castle, the official facility used for state functions. U2 have been honored here and played a concert in the reception hall.

DSC01160.jpg

Visit the Kilmainham Goal, the site of the execution of the Irish Independence Freedom Fighters.

DSC01178.jpg

A must see is the Guinness Storehouse and Gravity Bar. Free pints of Guinness are included as well as a 360 degree view of Dublin from the highest point in the city. And don't miss the Jameson Distillery with free samples of Jameson Wiskey.

DSC01115.jpg

Then there are Grafton and Henry Streets for shopping, and the Molly Malone statue, the Ha'Penny Bridge, St. Patirck's Cathedral, Trinity College and The Book of Kells (I loved this), and the General Post Office (site of the Easter Rising of 1916 - see the bullet holes in the columns and facade of the building). A good way to get around and see the sites is on the double decker hop- on and hop- off bus which takes you to all the sites. But Dublin is compact and easily walkable. A beautiful city with wonderful, friendly people.

I could be a tour guide of Dublin, lol.

Thanks Deborah J for the opportunity to share my photos from last year.

Edited to say:

A nice place to visit near Dublin is Dalkey, a quaint village where Bono and The Edge have homes.

Also, Newgrange, a neolithic tomb who's entrance is aligned with the rising sun on the winter solstice is a great site near Dublin to visit. The drive there from Dublin is beautiful, with fields lined by hedgerows and stone walls and filled with sheep.

I would love to go to Dublin to see U2!

I have been there twice and my son lived there for two months last summer.

Here are some suggestions for your friends:

Visit St. Stephen's Green and Phoenix Park for some beautiful gardens.

DSC00807.jpg

Do a Irish Music Pub Crawl which begins at Gogarty's Pub in the Temple Bar area. Here is a picture of Gogarty's.

DSC00023.jpg

Visit Dublin Castle, the official facility used for state functions. U2 have been honored here and played a concert in the reception hall.

DSC01160.jpg

Visit the Kilmainham Goal, the site of the execution of the Irish Independence Freedom Fighters.

DSC01178.jpg

A must see is the Guinness Storehouse and Gravity Bar. Free pints of Guinness are included as well as a 360 degree view of Dublin from the highest point in the city. And don't miss the Jameson Distillery with free samples of Jameson Wiskey.

DSC01115.jpg

Then there are Grafton and Henry Streets for shopping, and the Molly Malone statue, the Ha'Penny Bridge, St. Patirck's Cathedral, Trinity College and The Book of Kells (I loved this), and the General Post Office (site of the Easter Rising of 1916 - see the bullet holes in the columns and facade of the building). A good way to get around and see the sites is on the double decker hop- on and hop- off bus which takes you to all the sites. But Dublin is compact and easily walkable. A beautiful city with wonderful, friendly people.

I could be a tour guide of Dublin, lol.

Thanks Deborah J for the opportunity to share my photos from last year.

Edited to say:

A nice place to visit near Dublin is Dalkey, a quaint village where Bono and The Edge have homes.

Also, Newgrange, a neolithic tomb who's entrance is aligned with the rising sun on the winter solstice is a great site near Dublin to visit. The drive there from Dublin is beautiful, with fields lined by hedgerows and stone walls and filled with sheep.

This is great info. THANK YOU. The photos are great. Sounds like you hada great time!! :-)

Archived