Jimmy @ Amoeba, LA Film Fest and everywhere...

Strider

Hey everybody, it's been months since I last posted but just wanted to share a little Jimmy sighting with you.

No, I did not see him at the Dead Weather show at the Roxy last Thursday night...but I was one of the LA Zeppelin board members who made it into the LA Film Festival screening of "It Might Get Loud" last Friday night. Can't really add much to others posts about the event...you've seen the youtube clips. I didn't speak to him or anything like that...just sat a few rows behind and to the left of him. Had no idea that the director of the documentary, Davis Guggenheim was married to Elizabeth Shue!

Enjoyed the heck out of the film...I know some people have been criticizing the Edge's and/or

Jack White's participation but I have no problem with either of them being in the film along with Jimmy. As for a general theatre release date I think I heard August 14 or 19 as the date it is coming out.

The part where Jack White builds a guitar out of a piece of scrap wood reminds me of a quote from Jimmy in an old Creem interview where he said a guitar is just a piece of wood with strings.

Jimmy looked pretty dapper, he's holding up pretty good for a man in his 60's and considering the amount of alcohol and drugs he's ingested over the years. Good to hear that he's off the booze and drugs...he's lost a lot of that bloat he had; even his fingers look thinner.

And I think the natural silver grey hair look suits him fine.

Dvd release will of course have bonus songs added...but I still advise you to see it in its theatre release, just for the expereince of hearing it in a loud theatre sound system.

But that's not all...Jimmy was also at Amoeba records while in town...he was buying 45's for his jukebox but the best part is that some goofball Amoeba employee asked Jimmy "so like, when are you gonna get the band back together?"

Needless to say his Amoeba bosses were not pleased; apparently Amoeba would prefer it if their employees did not bother celebrity shoppers with impertinant questions and this guy is now in deep shit.

Okay, so I see from Ross' diary and other posts that Jimmy is back in London, which is too bad because tomorrow...Saturday June 27...there is quite a potential for a Jimmy appearance.

You see, at the Hollywood Bowl Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood are playing...meanwhile in some sort of cosmic hoax, across town at the Wiltern is this triple bill of the Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group and the Zombies.

Of course, I have no idea how many, if any, original Yardbirds(and Zombies for that matter) are in this lineup...but what are the odds that two of the bands that Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood got their start in are playing the same night in the same town?

Weird.

Hey everybody, it's been months since I last posted but just wanted to share a little Jimmy sighting with you.

No, I did not see him at the Dead Weather show at the Roxy last Thursday night...but I was one of the LA Zeppelin board members who made it into the LA Film Festival screening of "It Might Get Loud" last Friday night. Can't really add much to others posts about the event...you've seen the youtube clips. I didn't speak to him or anything like that...just sat a few rows behind and to the left of him. Had no idea that the director of the documentary, Davis Guggenheim was married to Elizabeth Shue!

Enjoyed the heck out of the film...I know some people have been criticizing the Edge's and/or

Jack White's participation but I have no problem with either of them being in the film along with Jimmy. As for a general theatre release date I think I heard August 14 or 19 as the date it is coming out.

The part where Jack White builds a guitar out of a piece of scrap wood reminds me of a quote from Jimmy in an old Creem interview where he said a guitar is just a piece of wood with strings.

Jimmy looked pretty dapper, he's holding up pretty good for a man in his 60's and considering the amount of alcohol and drugs he's ingested over the years. Good to hear that he's off the booze and drugs...he's lost a lot of that bloat he had; even his fingers look thinner.

And I think the natural silver grey hair look suits him fine.

Dvd release will of course have bonus songs added...but I still advise you to see it in its theatre release, just for the expereince of hearing it in a loud theatre sound system.

But that's not all...Jimmy was also at Amoeba records while in town...he was buying 45's for his jukebox but the best part is that some goofball Amoeba employee asked Jimmy "so like, when are you gonna get the band back together?"

Needless to say his Amoeba bosses were not pleased; apparently Amoeba would prefer it if their employees did not bother celebrity shoppers with impertinant questions and this guy is now in deep shit.

Okay, so I see from Ross' diary and other posts that Jimmy is back in London, which is too bad because tomorrow...Saturday June 27...there is quite a potential for a Jimmy appearance.

You see, at the Hollywood Bowl Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood are playing...meanwhile in some sort of cosmic hoax, across town at the Wiltern is this triple bill of the Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group and the Zombies.

Of course, I have no idea how many, if any, original Yardbirds(and Zombies for that matter) are in this lineup...but what are the odds that two of the bands that Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood got their start in are playing the same night in the same town?

Weird.

Intersting. I have seen it's August 14th in the States, unless that is mistaken. That is the date that on the offical site it will be in New York and LA and other sites have put that as the date.

Hey Strider--

Great post!! How did you know about what transpired at Amoeba Records??

And WOW--to all those bands being in the same area at the same time..JP shoulda stayed a couple more days! :)

Sharon

Maybe he was one of those

types.

:D:D:D Love the Blues Brothers reference eternal light!

Okay, yes "It Might Get Loud" is definitely being released in LA and New York August 14. My head was still swimming from being in the same room as Jimmy Page and watching the movie that you'll forgive me if I couldn't remember dates and stuff afterwards...in my fog I just knew it was either Aug. 14 or 19.

So mark your calendar for August 14...well, those of you who live, or can get to L.A. and/or New York City.

Yes, there will be bonus songs performances added for the dvd, but you will still want to see this in a theatre on a big screen. Imagine Jimmy 50 feet tall!

Oh, that is Jimmy playing the guitar over the opening credit sequence.

Oh, and I know someone who works at Amoeba and she texted me when Jimmy showed up. He

often shops there when he's in town...Bodhi Tree is another haunt of his...and I was able to get there before he had left and discreetly shadowed him at a respectable distance.

Anyway, the two main things I took away from the whole experience is

1) The movie kicks major butt!

2) Jimmy is looking GREAT these days...very healthy and love the natural hair colour; silver fox, indeed! Unlike Mick Jagger and Ron Wood, who have resorted to using hair pieces.

Excellent info, Strider. I'm often at the Bodhi Tree myself. That's how I got to be my astrologically-sorceress-self. :witch::lol: (That's probably more of an in-joke, never mind). But, seriously, I'm glad to know he's still "into" alternative forms of spirituality. :)

Strider--

WOW--good for you being able to get to the store before he left! And I am sure he appreciated NOT being disturbed, even though I don't know how you held yourself back, as I am not sure I would have totally been able to...I may have just passed out on the floor or something equally ridiculous! LOL!! :D

Sharon

You see, at the Hollywood Bowl Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood are playing...

I can highly recommend that show. I don't like EC's output since the mid-1980s (way too mellow), but I saw them perform together at EC's last Guitar Festival where I think they performed four songs from the Blind Faith album. Winwood still carries that incredible voice and is not too shabby himself on the six-string; the older music seems to reawaken Clapton's inner rock dude.

Jommy Page at a record store buying 45's for a jukebox? Questionable at best. THe info is a cute little story, but where are the pics? No one else has mentioned this anywhere so I think your wanker is being pulled by a person looking for a bit of attention. Buying 45's? Jimmy is a bit out of touch with today's music, but not that far off!

Wow, what' your problem with Jimmy or 45's?

The poster may not be able to prove it, and it goes the same for you, you can't prove it's not true.

Take things a bit easier, would you?

Jommy Page at a record store buying 45's for a jukebox? Questionable at best. THe info is a cute little story, but where are the pics? No one else has mentioned this anywhere so I think your wanker is being pulled by a person looking for a bit of attention. Buying 45's? Jimmy is a bit out of touch with today's music, but not that far off!

I doubt it - seems pretty likely Jimmy would be in a record store and perhaps people didn't take photos out of respect for him having some privacy. Why is it odd he's buying 45's for a jukebox? It has nothing to do with being out of touch with today's music :rolleyes:

You see Evster, this why I don't post here much. I post a harmless little item and already my integrity is called into question?

Hey, if I really needed the attention, don't you think I would post a lot more than I do?

As for Jimmy and jukeboxes...I know lots of people who have jukebozes for their home...and they are a lot less well-off than Jimmy Page. It's a cool thing to have in your home...and from my source, Jimmy prefers to stock his with old rockabilly/blues/r & b/ and rock n roll singles. Of course, that doesn't preclude him from having the odd White Stripes or some other modern band(maybe even a Zep single or two) on his jukebox...FYI, vinyl(lp's and 45's) has never gone out of fashion with the music cognescenti and even now the kids are seeing the benefits of vinyl. So who REALLY is out of touch? Methinks you more so than Mr. Page.

As for pictures, sorry I don't do pictures. I only just got a cell-phone a couple of years ago and it's just a phone, which is all I require a phone to do. I can send and receive texts if I want, but there's no camera on my phone.

And even if there was, you think I would be stupid enough to start snapping away at Mr. Page shopping, invading his privacy? That's why I didn't approach him...the guy is shopping, and he would probably like to shop in peace.

Maybe it's because living in LA I've gotten used to seeing famous people, but I've never been big on doing the autograph and picture thing when coming across celebrities. If we happen to strike up a conversation, great, but I usually just prefer to leave them alone...they get bothered enough by others.

One reason why I didn't post this story until a few days ago was that I wrestled with my conscience over whether Jimmy Page would consider my post an invasion of his privacy...maybe he wouldn't want people to know what he shops for when buying records, or even that he has a jukebox.

Lord knows, I have met Mssrs. Page, Plant and Jones in the past...not often; I am certainly no Knebby or Steve A. Jones...just a few moments stolen over the years, either at gigs or bumping into them somewhere like a bookstore. I have kept these moments to myself, and judging to the response to my Jimmy @ Amoeba post, it's probably for the best that I did.

And rest assured, I will think twice before posting any more about sightings of Messrs. Page, Plant & Jones.

And even if there was, you think I would be stupid enough to start snapping away at Mr. Page shopping, invading his privacy? That's why I didn't approach him...the guy is shopping, and he would probably like to shop in peace.

Maybe it's because living in LA I've gotten used to seeing famous people, but I've never been big on doing the autograph and picture thing when coming across celebrities. If we happen to strike up a conversation, great, but I usually just prefer to leave them alone...they get bothered enough by others.

I agree with you Strider, and definitely think you did the right thing by letting Jimmy shop in peace.

I enjoyed reading about your Jimmy sighting, and hope that this one poster will not discourage you from posting more stories like this in the future.

I agree with you Strider, and definitely think you did the right thing by letting Jimmy shop in peace.

I enjoyed reading about your Jimmy sighting, and hope that this one poster will not discourage you from posting more stories like this in the future.

I agree with Stargroves Tangie--Strider, PLEASE don't let one stupid poster ruin it for the rest of us! I know I for one, and many others, really enjoyed reading this, and truly appreciated your sharing it with us. Just let the morons roll off your back. :)

All the best--

Sharon

Concurred.

I agree as well and I hope that poster's comments won't discourage you from posting in the future.

Lord knows, I have met Mssrs. Page, Plant and Jones in the past...not often; I am certainly no Knebby or Steve A. Jones...just a few moments stolen over the years, either at gigs or bumping into them somewhere like a bookstore. I have kept these moments to myself, and judging to the response to my Jimmy @ Amoeba post, it's probably for the best that I did

This really made me laugh lots and lots. :slapface:

Shocking - a musician known for his extensive record collection... buying records. How utterly questionable :rolleyes:

I love that you want proof of the Jimmy sighting. I'm sure that if I were to make up such a story involving Jimmy Page, it'd be a little more wilder than simply spotting him in a record shop. You must've been dropped on your head if you think that people are supposed to verify every person that they see with a camera and a horde of witnesses.

And, please, if you're going to use the word 'wanker', at least use it in the right context. We wouldn't want you to look any more of one, would we?

Archived