Michael Jackson Appreciation Thread

Evster2012

Thanks for the new thread, Evster. Guess I'll go first seeing as us westcoasters are the only ones on at this time.

One of the great things I love about Michael Jackson is that he is a classic entertainer, a timeless performer that I've been able to get a renewed appreciation for over 3 generations.

During my youth it was the Jackson 5....lots of fantastic songs plus he was a great frontman and cute as dickens! There seemed to be a little competition between them and the Osmonds, if not from the media then at least amongst my siblings & friends. My sister was all a-ga-ga over Donny so naturally I had to pick Michael, LOL (now bear in mind that this was pre-Robert Plant days).

Then the 80s come along with the next generation of nieces, nephews, friends' kids, etc, and I get a whole new interest in Michael Jackson. How could you watch a MJ music video and not feel that raw emotion and enthusiasm? I've been reminiscing of so many fun times shared with family........one was the first bonding experience I had with my stepdaughter, before I married her dad, she was about 8 at the time. We would play Ebony & Ivory over & over again, she taking Michael's part & me Paul's, until we got it word-perfect.

And here's a story that cracks me up just recalling it -- My niece was a Michael Jackson fanatic when she was 4 & 5 years old and always tried to copy his signature moves. This drove my grandparents (her greats) nuts because they were highly offended that a little girl was making such suggestive, sensuous moves. Then my granddad passed away and when we went to their house right after the funeral, the first thing Kristin did was break into dance with the moonwalk, etc. Then she gets the biggest grin on her face and said "it's OK, gramps can't see me now because he's DEAD!"

Well, even though Michael hasn't put out a lot of new material in the 90s and 00s, it doesn't mean that young people aren't continuing to discover him. He's the favorite pop star of one of my 14-yo daughter's friends.......these girls still learn a lot of dance moves from Michael Jackson. Which is fine with me, I'd much rather see that than the freaking and head-spinning stuff other kids are doing. :D

Love the legacy that Michael Jackson has left us. I hope that he is enjoying a well-deserved eternal rest now, away from the lens of the papparazzi.

Thanks for the new thread, Evster. Guess I'll go first seeing as us westcoasters are the only ones on at this time.

One of the great things I love about Michael Jackson is that he is a classic entertainer, a timeless performer that I've been able to get a renewed appreciation for over 3 generations.

During my youth it was the Jackson 5....lots of fantastic songs plus he was a great frontman and cute as dickens! There seemed to be a little competition between them and the Osmonds, if not from the media then at least amongst my siblings & friends. My sister was all a-ga-ga over Donny so naturally I had to pick Michael, LOL (now bear in mind that this was pre-Robert Plant days).

Then the 80s come along with the next generation of nieces, nephews, friends' kids, etc, and I get a whole new interest in Michael Jackson. How could you watch a MJ music video and not feel that raw emotion and enthusiasm? I've been reminiscing of so many fun times shared with family........one was the first bonding experience I had with my stepdaughter, before I married her dad, she was about 8 at the time. We would play Ebony & Ivory over & over again, she taking Michael's part & me Paul's, until we got it word-perfect.

And here's a story that cracks me up just recalling it -- My niece was a Michael Jackson fanatic when she was 4 & 5 years old and always tried to copy his signature moves. This drove my grandparents (her greats) nuts because they were highly offended that a little girl was making such suggestive, sensuous moves. Then my granddad passed away and when we went to their house right after the funeral, the first thing Kristin did was break into dance with the moonwalk, etc. Then she gets the biggest grin on her face and said "it's OK, gramps can't see me now because he's DEAD!"

Well, even though Michael hasn't put out a lot of new material in the 90s and 00s, it doesn't mean that young people aren't continuing to discover him. He's the favorite pop star of one of my 14-yo daughter's friends.......these girls still learn a lot of dance moves from Michael Jackson. Which is fine with me, I'd much rather see that than the freaking and head-spinning stuff other kids are doing. :D

Love the legacy that Michael Jackson has left us. I hope that he is enjoying a well-deserved eternal rest now, away from the lens of the papparazzi.

Cool Post. I think MJ feels the energy of his send off via thoughtful recollections like this.

My youngest son has just come in and he said that he'd heard MJ died as a result of tripping up over a pram..... so "Blame it on the Buggie"...................

'Workin Day and Night' His all time best song, IMHO.

a cooler video to watch of the same song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzlRrZPxdaI

'Shake Your Body Down to the Ground' ... my favorite from the Jacksons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnBcS2z4Ew4

'State of Shock' with Freddie Mercury (shame they never officially teamed up... would've been awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_BwMtPeWU

Damn, all of this brings back so many childhood memories. A shame that a lot of the younger people today weren't around to hear these songs in the days they were released. Kind of understandable why some people have a hard time understanding why Michael was such a big deal.

Great thread, by the way.

My youngest son has just come in and he said that he'd heard MJ died as a result of tripping up over a pram..... so "Blame it on the Buggie"...................

Did you notice the name of this thread?

Cheers Ev for starting this thread. In the posts already made with various performances, it's obvious just how much of an impact Michael's work had on music. He broke so many barriers and opened up a lot of doors for artists to follow. It's nice to come here and listen to the songs, watch him dance and remember who he was and the joy he gave millions of people.

To Michael :beer:

Did you notice the name of this thread?

It's just a joke man, lighten up... nothing malicious, no hate..............In spite of my comments in the other thread i do think it is sad that He's Gone........A couple of hours after the TV news reports here in England ie about 1 AM my daughter was still up she put the radio on and "I'll Be There" came on and i have to admit that i did almost shed a tear............I do quite like some of his music but generally it's not my cup of tea. I have never bought any of his Albums and i don't think i ever will..........So if my little (second hand) joke upset your sensitivity i apologise.....If it's any conciliation for my evils i'm going to have that BIOTB tune going through my head for the rest of the afternoon.

It's just a joke man, lighten up... nothing malicious, no hate..............In spite of my comments in the other thread i do think it is sad that He's Gone........A couple of hours after the TV news reports here in England ie about 1 AM my daughter was still up she put the radio on and "I'll Be There" came on and i have to admit that i did almost shed a tear............I do quite like some of his music but generally it's not my cup of tea. I have never bought any of his Albums and i don't think i ever will..........So if my little (second hand) joke upset your sensitivity i apologise.....If it's any conciliation for my evils i'm going to have that BIOTB tune going through my head for the rest of the afternoon.

This isn't the place for it (nor do I think it was funny but that's just my opinion). The purpose of this thread was to celebrate Michael's contributions.

I loved the Jackson 5 when I was a little girl; I had several albums that I played all the time, and watched the cartoon regularly.

Thriller was my favorite MJ solo album; and I can still remember watching that Motown special in my parents' living room; that was something else! :)

Archived