Michael Jackson Appreciation Thread

Evster2012

Holy Cow! Thanks, Evster2012! I've always played this CD track for my friends who are much younger than I at work. It's so wonderful to see Michael singing it, his beautiful face full of joy at being in his element! Also, his marvelous dancing, he was a nascent little moonwalker back then! Amazing...also crazy guitar riff at the end! (fade out part). (reminds me of Jerry Garcia's riffin' at the end of Shakedown Street." Can't help but play "air guitar" to it! :D

Well well well, you can never tell! :D

My name is Evan and I am fine! ;)

Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm,

That will not forsake you, till my tale is told and done.

Well well well, you can never tell! :D

My name is Evan and I am fine! ;)

:lol: Nice verse! Forgive my ignorance, Evster, but are the last lyrics yours? Or from a Grateful song as well? ;)

:lol: Nice verse! Forgive my ignorance, Evster, but are the last lyrics yours? Or from a Grateful song as well? ;)

I cannot claim those beautiful lyics as my own. I wish!

Lady with a Fan/Terrapin Station:

While the firelights aglow, strange shadows from the flames will grow,

Till things weve never seen will seem familiar.

Shadows of a sailor, forming winds both foul and fair all swarm.

Down in carlisle, he loved a lady many years ago.

Here beside him stands a man, a soldier from the looks of him,

Who came through many fights, but lost at love.

While the story teller speaks, a door within the fire creaks;

Suddenly flies open, and a girl is standing there.

Eyes alight, with glowing hair, all that fancy paints as fair,

She takes her fan and throws it, in the lions den.

Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?

I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.

The sailor gave at least a try, the soldier being much too wise,

Strategy was his strength, and not disaster.

The sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.

Thats how it stands today. you decide if he was wise.

The story teller makes no choice. soon you will not hear his voice.

His job is to shed light, and not to master.

Since the end is never told, we pay the teller off in gold,

In hopes he will return, but he cannot be bought or sold.

Inspiration, move me brightly. light the song with sense and color;

Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.

Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.

Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to terrapin.

Counting stars by candlelight, all are dim but one is bright;

The spiral light of venus, rising first and shining best,

On, from the northwest corner, of a brand new crescent moon,

While crickets and cicadas sing, a rare and different tune,

Terrapin station.

In the shadow of the moon, terrapin station.

And I know well get there soon, terrapin station.

I cant figure out, terrapin, if its the end or beginning, terrapin,

But the trains put its brakes on, terrapin,

And the whistle is screaming, terrapin.

Lyrics by Robert Hunter. Music by Jerry Garcia.

I saw -deepok chopra on cnn yesterday and that shed some light on -michael jackson. i never followed his music, bought -black or white cd single, cause the guitar part was catchy and that was back in the day of tower records. as far as stars passing away from prescription drugs, if that is the case here, its seemingly becoming a concern.

Now he's Gone

Lord he's gone

Like a steam locomotive

rolling down the track

He's gone

He's gone

and nothing's gonna bring him back

He's gone

Another Hunter/Garcia.

Now he's Gone

Lord he's gone

Like a steam locomotive

rolling down the track

He's gone

He's gone

and nothing's gonna bring him back

He's gone

Another Hunter/Garcia.

Rat in a drain ditch

Caught on a limb

You know better

But I know him

Nothing left to do but smile smile smile. :beer:

His video for "Billie Jean," always made me think of Fred Astaire. How he dances over the tiles and they light up and is so dapper. I've always loved that. I love that song anyway. I always thought that was so cool.

I saw -deepok chopra on cnn yesterday and that shed some light on -michael jackson. i never followed his music, bought -black or white cd single, cause the guitar part was catchy and that was back in the day of tower records. as far as stars passing away from prescription drugs, if that is the case here, its seemingly becoming a concern.

Guitar in Black or White was done by Slash. I didn't know this before looking it up, but Slash's mom was Black so that song has some relevance to him in that way

Guitar in Black or White was done by Slash. I didn't know this before looking it up, but Slash's mom was Black so that song has some relevance to him in that way

It was just a track when Slash was invited. He just played on a Michael Jackson song, and was thrilled to do so. I can see why you'd want to make a connection, but not so in this case.

It was just a track when Slash was invited. He just played on a Michael Jackson song, and was thrilled to do so. I can see why you'd want to make a connection, but not so in this case.

Slash played on Give In To Me, and I love that song. MJ also got Eddie Van Halen to play with him on Beat it. There are videos of that performance on youtube, the quality is poor, I enjoy Eddie's playing though.

The next guy beat me to it. Slash played on 2 songs on Dangerous. I believe GNR was also recording Use Your Illusion at that time also.

Slash played on Give In To Me, and I love that song. MJ also got Eddie Van Halen to play with him on Beat it. There are videos of that performance on youtube, the quality is poor, I enjoy Eddie's playing though.

Eddie on Beat It was a huge crossover! As was Slash's perfomance on MJ songs. I just don't think Slash playing on Black or White had anything to do with his ethnicity. ;)

Eddie on Beat It was a huge crossover! As was Slash's perfomance on MJ songs. I just don't think Slash playing on Black or White had anything to do with his ethnicity. ;)

I don't think so, either. Slash said something like "I guess MJ wanted me to play on his record because I looked quite cartoon-ish". :D

Ah and here is the song:

I cannot claim those beautiful lyics as my own. I wish!

Lady with a Fan/Terrapin Station:

While the firelights aglow, strange shadows from the flames will grow,

Till things weve never seen will seem familiar.

[..., etc.]

Lyrics by Robert Hunter. Music by Jerry Garcia.

Beautifully sweet! Thanks, Evster! :)

I have lots of good memories attached to Michael's music , a fond one for me... 1981 and one of my favourite albums at that time (and I still dig out every now and then).. The Jackson's Triumph :)

One of my favourites from the album is Walk Right Now, I always remember it was rocking the UK charts when Prince Charles married Diana

"Saddened and shocked to hear of the passing of Michael Jackson. He truly was, and always will be, a true icon. 'Thriller' was one of the greatest pop masterpieces of all time. A sad day for our world. R.I.P."

Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell)

"Michael Jackson was easily as influential as James Brown, and that's saying a lot. We had Vincent Price in common. I used him first on 'Welcome To My Nightmare' in 1975, and he later used him on 'Thriller'. Nobody moved like Michael, he was truly the King of Pop."

Alice Cooper

I have so many good memories of Michael Jackson's music. I loved him as I was a kid, and I still have the "Ben" album, that my mom gave me as I was 9 and had gone through a throat operation. I was soooooooo happy as I got it....

I was in shock as I realized that the news on his death was real. It seems so surreal that he's really gone. :( :(

RIP, Michael.

And thanks.

An old tribute I didn't know about till today--when Michael unleashed the moonwalk on the Motown 25 show, he got a congratulatory message the next day from Fred Astaire. Now that MEANS something! (To me, anyway. Fred was the best. :) )

Some of my favourite MJ songs.

Beat It

Smooth Criminal

I'll Be There Acapella

After listening to the final vid, I feel all sad now :(

You all are good people, great stories and video links :)

I love "Smooth Criminal", its build to the chorus is awesome and the dancing in that video is out of this world great. But that last song :'( oooh that really cuts to the core. It's bittersweet to now be getting to know this phase of his career better as my intro to MJ's music was from Thriller onwards. How nice to have this thread, thanks.

Michael Jackson Radio Play Jumps 1735%

Silvio Pietroluongo, N.Y.

95144-michael_jackson_2009_l.jpg

Airplay for Michael Jackson's biggest hits, and some of his overlooked gems (including a few dozen spins for some of the Jackson's Christmas songs), blanketed airwaves from coast to coast immediately after his death on Thursday, and continued throughout the weekend.

According to research provided by Nielsen BDS of monitored airplay from over 1,600 terrestrial and satellite radio stations, 143 of Jackson's recordings totaled 67,383 plays for the week ending June 28, up 1,735% from last week's sum of 3,671 plays.

After having just one song, "Rock With You," post more than 500 plays in the week prior to his death, 22 of Jackson's tracks eclipsed 1,000 plays this past week, led by his biggest Billboard Hot 100 hit, "Billie Jean" (4,500 spins). That total places the track at No. 51 among all current or recurrent titles for the week.

Here is a list of the 10 most played Michael Jackson songs for the week of June 22 to June 28.

Title

1) Billie Jean 4,540 plays

2) Thriller 3,570 plays

3) Rock With You 3,546 plays

4) Don't Stop 'Til 3,135 plays

5) P.Y.T. 2,986 plays

6) Beat It 2,852 plays

7) Man In Mirror 2,827 plays

8) Wanna Be Start 2,493 plays

9) The Way You 2,387 plays

10) Human Nature 2,175 plays

Archived