Most powerful scenes in movie history.

lzzoso

The Usual Suspects

Verbal: And like that... he's gone.

The end of the movie when he got up and walked away from the police station and you realized that he had made the story up from the police board...I was blown away. He was Keyser Soze...one of the most brilliant written scripts.

The Usual Suspects

Verbal: And like that... he's gone.

The end of the movie when he got up and walked away from the police station and you realized that he had made the story up from the police board...I was blown away. He was Keyser Soze...one of the most brilliant written scripts.

Love that movie. ;)

"Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit but, hey, I'm in a police station."

Love that movie. ;)

"Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit but, hey, I'm in a police station."

FENSTER: They treat me like a criminal, I'll end up a criminal

HOCKNEY: You are a criminal

FENSTER: Why you gotta go and do that. I'm trying to make a point

Classic!!!

The scene in Crash where Matt Dillion puts the woman from the burning SUV.

The last night on the island in Full Metal Jacket.

"7-6-2 millimeter FULL METAL JACKET!"

Gone With The Wind where Mammie tells Miss Melanie after Rhett kills the pony.

"He went out and shot that poor pony, and, for a minute, I thought he was gonna shoot himself."

And I think that the scene where Vader tells Luke that he is indeed his father is the most powerful scene in the history of movies!

I find that staggering you say that, after mentioning Shaw's scene from Jaws.

To me, Star Wars and it's sequels were just eye candy sci fi fantasy movies.

At least Jaws was based on reality and Shaw's Indianapolis monologue was based on a real incident.

Maybe I just never 'got' Star Wars but I thought the acting/performances in those movie was just "meh".

"He went out and shot that poor pony, and, for a minute, I thought he was gonna shoot himself."

There are lots of good ones in Gone With the Wind. The one that gets me is when Scarlett is trying to get the doctor to come and help Melanie deliver her child, but then the camera backs up and shows an aerial view of all the hundreds of wounded soldiers laid out on the ground, showing how futile and overwhelming the situation is.

Also, when Scarlett's working in the "hospital" and they're about to amputate a guy's leg and he's screaming "DON'T CUT! DON'T CUT!" and you can see the shadow of the knife on the wall, I think. That image has stayed with me for years...ugh. Although I recently learned that doctors did use chloroform when they could...I guess it was scarce at times, especially for the Confederates, but I had no idea they even had anesthetics at that point. But anyway, it was certainly a damn powerful image, for sure.

You keep forgetting to mention one of your favorites (the one that makes you cry)...

old-yeller-760320.jpg

I find that staggering you say that, after mentioning Shaw's scene from Jaws.

To me, Star Wars and it's sequels were just eye candy sci fi fantasy movies.

At least Jaws was based on reality and Shaw's Indianapolis monologue was based on a real incident.

Maybe I just never 'got' Star Wars but I thought the acting/performances in those movie was just "meh".

Thank you :)

One of many great scenes in Glengary Glenross

Dave Moss explodes at Ricky Roma and shouts]

Dave Moss: You're fucked, Rick. Are you fucking nuts? You're hot, so you think you're the ruler of this place.

Shelley Levene: Now wait a minute, Dave.

Dave Moss: Shut up!

Shelley Levene: Okay...

Dave Moss: You want to decide who should be dealt with how, is that it? I come in the fucking office today, I get humiliated by some jag-off cop. I get accused of... I get the shit thrown in my face by you, you genuine shit, because you're top name on the board?

Ricky Roma: Is that what I did, Dave? I humiliated you? Oh my God, I'm sorry.

Dave Moss: Sitting on top of the world. Sitting on top of the world, everything's fuckin' peach fuzz.

Ricky Roma: And I don't get a moment to spare for some bust-out humanitarian down on his luck lately?

Dave Moss: Oh, fuck...

Ricky Roma: [cutting him off] Fuck you, Dave. You know you got a big mouth. You make a close, this whole place stinks with your farts for a week - how much you just ingested. Oh, what a big man you are! "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it." Whoof! You're pal closes, and all that comes out of your mouth is bile. Ooh, how fucked-up you are!

Dave Moss: Who's my pal, Ricky? Hmm? What are you? And what are you, Ricky? Huh? Bishop Sheen? What the fuck are you, Mr. Slick? Who - what the fuck are you, "Friend to the working man"? Big deal! FUCK YOU! You got the memory of a fuckin' fly! I never liked you, anyway.

Ricky Roma: What is this, your farewell speech?

Dave Moss: I'm going home.

Ricky Roma: Your farewell to the troops?

Dave Moss: I'm not going home. I'm going to Wisconsin.

Ricky Roma: Have a good trip.

Dave Moss: Aw, fuck you! Fuck the lot of you! Fuck you all!

[exits]

Ricky Roma: [to Shelley] You were saying?

Shelley Levene: Huh?

I just watched this again and I'd love to have that Garand. B)

Too bad he didn't unload a clip on those punk bastards.

story.jpg

HEY REDMAN!!! How ya been?

You and me both brother. I have a freind who keeps teasing me about selling me his grandfather's Garand that he carried with him into France. Keeps telling me that his wife wants it out of the house and would give it up for $1500 bucks at least. I said just tell me when and I will be over with the cash within 10 minutes.

500px-FOOFM1Garand-6.jpg

Mangani, you and leve are entitled to your own word's but, Star Wars was not a bad movie at all. In fact it was one of the all time great's, yes I liked Jaw's just as much but as far as a single scene that knocks you for a loop, it has to be in the climax of the picture. There is just no comparing the two! Jaw's was well made and even if the fake shark was ... well ... fake looking, I still give it a top rating.

Jaw's keep's you on the edge of you seat mainly from the sound track & Cinematography, I find it hard to even find the climax of the film. It was good and Capt. Quint was an interesting character to watch (and try and figure out what he would do next) and was IMHO the best actor in the movie but, I can't let go of Star Wars and Luke throwing himself off the catwalk after he finds out the truth.

Mangani, you and leve are entitled to your own word's but, Star Wars was not a bad movie at all. In fact it was one of the all time great's...

:lol:

Sorry but that made me laugh. That movie was goofy as hell.

Just look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSF5SfqF2o

Pretty cool lunchbox though.

lb1302.jpg

To each his own, but do you really put Star Wars up there in "great movies"? I loved Smokey And The Bandit (the first one), and thought that it was hugely entertaining and fun. And it did really well in the box office too! But it wasn't a Casablanca, Citizen Kane or Shidlers List.

Even though it's more fantastical and less realistic I actually prefer to watch the END battle in Saving Private Ryan these days.

Dunno, maybe it's those tanks. :o

I actually was only talking about the Omaha Beach landing scene. I would not put Saving Private Ryan high on my list favorite films despite my reaction to that one scene.

For me the rest of the film was nothing more than like a theatrical version of the 60s television show Combat with Vic Morrow. Even the characters in the Army unit were pretty similar to those in the TV show if you think about it.

As far as war films go I liked:

Patton

Flags of Our Fathers

The Thin Red Line

Das Boot

Glory

All Quiet On The Western Front

Gettysburg

Battle Of Britain

In the movie "Glory" with Denzel Washington as a union soldier, what's great is the whole movie builds up to this one moment: the black soldiers, derided and dumped on, show that they are not only worthy, they are heroic, because now they have volunteered to lead the final, suicide-mission. As they start marching pass the silent, humbled, white soldiers, the one guy who had been giving them the hardest time suddenly yells out "GIVE 'EM HELL 49!!" (or whatever the unit number was) and they all start cheering. Great movie moment.

Best movie of all time?

Hmm.

Apocalypse Now.

Some of my favourite scenes in movies? I dunno, pretty much every single scene in the movie Barry Lyndon (directed by Stanley Kubrick) is pure gold, because of the camera-work.

It's extremely underrated, please check it out. Stanley isn't just The Shining and A Clockwork Orange, he directed other movies.

Same with pretty much every Akira Kurosawa film, he put a ton of effort into the sets.

Edit: I agree about All Quiet On The Western Front, one of my favourite war films as well.

Del, if you enjoyed Das Boot, I recommend "Der Untergang" (Downfall) it's about Hitler's last days, it was originally in German, and that's how I'd recommend seeing it (with subtitles of course).

Citizen kane.....Rosebud

Yojimbo.....Funeral

Exorcist III....Hospital corridor scene.

Salo...The whole premise....

On a lighter note.....BattleRoyale . friendship only goes as far as getting hold of a Automatic or Crossbow...... :mellow:

Kinda underrated movie, I never heard of it until it was on cable, but One False Move with Billy Bob Thornton was pretty intense, especially the opening scene as they rob a home that dealt coke where a party was going on. They bust in, tie everyone up, and tape plastic bags over their heads.

The next scene shows the last gasping spasm of apparently the last living victim laying hogtied on the floor with the plastic bag over her head, and at that moment, Billy Bob is snorting a line of coke off the table.

There's a couple brutal stabbings as well, but it's the plastic bag scene that creeps me out every time.

fucking chilling to the bone.

Also has Bill Paxton, Michael Beach and a girl I find extra-hawt, Cynda Williams.

Archived