Most powerful scenes in movie history.

lzzoso

The scene where Dirty Harry catches Scorpio on the football field (Kezar Stadium) and gives him a little taste of his own medicine. :D

The pullaway shot in the helicopter is classic as the fog envelopes the scene.

The montage of Dirk Borgade falling more and in love with Bijou Andersson and imitating him even in Death In Venice. And at the end Dirk Boragde watching him wrestle with another boy on at the beach at the end as he dies.

The end of Dark Victory as Bette Davis sends George Brent off as she is going blind and won't tell him.

The dream in Brian De Palma's Sisters when the sisters are getting separeted.

I always liked the "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" scene in Gone With The Wind."

Maybe not a real powerful scene, but a goodie none the less. :D

It's certainly very 'famous.' :D

It's the 70th Aniversery this year too of that.

The end of Dark Victory as Bette Davis sends George Brent off as she is going blind and won't tell him.

:yesnod: Yes, I agree, aen! That scene always gets to me. She was selfless in that scene. Not the case in the first scene, haha. I also loved those spectator pumps she wore with that pin-striped dress in that scene when she confronted her best friend (Geraldine Fitzgerald?) re: jealousy over her hubby, a misunderstanding. :)

Edited to add this postscript: Hey aen, did you see her other movies? like Now, Voyager and Jezebel? :beer:

:yesnod: Yes, I agree, aen! That scene always gets to me. She was selfless in that scene. Not the case in the first scene, haha. I also loved those spectator pumps she wore with that pin-striped dress in that scene when she confronted her best friend (Geraldine Fitzgerald?) re: jealousy over her hubby, a misunderstanding. :)

Edited to add this postscript: Hey aen, did you see her other movies? like Now, Voyager and Jezebel? :beer:

Yes, I have seen them both. I love Now Voyager.

I love spectators period. I think her clothes were by Orry-Kelly?

Yes, I have seen them both. I love Now Voyager.

I love spectators period. I think her clothes were by Orry-Kelly?

Not sure. Speaking of costume designing, didn't you love the dresses Keira Knightly wore in Pride and Prejudice? wow. Love that empire waist. Bet you do, too. I remember you said you were into fashion, esp. the during the ancient times. Me too. The costumes really enhance powerful scenes, needless to say. ;)

The scene where Dirty Harry catches Scorpio on the football field (Kezar Stadium) and gives him a little taste of his own medicine. :D

The pullaway shot in the helicopter is classic as the fog envelopes the scene.

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaah. Now you're talking. We're with 'Harry' all the way thinking "go on son, hurt him some more!".

Great scene. Great movie.

Not sure. Speaking of costume designing, didn't you love the dresses Keira Knightly wore in Pride and Prejudice? wow. Love that empire waist. Bet you do, too. I remember you said you were into fashion, esp. the during the ancient times. Me too. The costumes really enhance powerful scenes, needless to say. ;)

They do, but I like this style much more.

stanwyck33.jpg

⇑ Nice threads :) Here are some of my faves (from Pride & Prejudice): Love the empire waist cuts.

thp2.png (sorry, tiny :( )

pride4-1.jpg

Awesome! I LOVE clothes from the early 1800s...well, really, I just love that time period, period. Some people are big on the Victorian era, but I always liked the Regency/Napoleonic stuff better. I love how their styles were influenced by classic Greek clothes, but they kinda took it in a new and awesome direction.

Here's an elaborate, if blurry, dress from Napoleon (2002):

napoleon16.jpg

And one of Monica Bellucci playing Empress Josephine in Napoleon and Me:

25i9jd4.jpg

Sorry to kinda get off the subject, but I tried to keep it to movie costumes! :D Vanity Fair has some awesome costumes, too, but they're not exactly true to the period.

⇑ Those are lovely dresses! Yes, that's exactly the cut I like--that Josephine-esque high waist. I love dresses that emphasize the "empire waist" with a 7/8" width velvet ribbon. ;) Thanks for posting these. :)

Oh,..here goes...here's another one from the same film, (Pride & Prejudice. To stay on topic, it's the intro where the audience is introduced to her quirky family, purely visually. No words at all.

pride20and20prejudice20220.jpg

My last post got messed up somehow. What I wanted to say was that I agree that "Scarface" is one of the greatest movies of all-time. Being a huge Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro fan, I have to admit that I have a sort of bias to the works of these two "Godfathers". I am sure alot of you who read this would agree. I have seen and read alot of good choices for very powerfull scenes in your favorite movies. Like I said at the beginning, all opinions are welcome. Please keep em coming about what you feel might make this list (topic). By the way, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!!.

How's it going "lzzoso?" I'm glad that I found your comment on this thread. I can see that you are a fan of both just like I am although I do give a very slight little edge to Pacino over DeNiro ONLY BECAUSE OF SCARFACE AND SCARFACE ONLY! The edge is so slight that it can be a speck of dust that separates the two. Thats how close my voting was in choosing between the two. By the way, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!! ROCK ON!

A LATE NOTE: By the way, I really enjoyed your "AL PACINO OR ROBERT DENIRO" thread here on the forum, although it seems that Robert DeNiro is topping Al Pacino in the voting catagory. In true retrospect, I don't even think that Al Pacino would care if he lost out to Robert DeNiro. These two actors are two of the all-time greatest actors ever. ROCK ON!

Wizard of Oz was also 1939 and they were both directed by Victor Flemming.

They're showing all the great movies from 1939 on TV right now. Just watched "Of Mice and Men". My wife was crying, when the old dog got shot. Lenny rules - I like rabbits and ketchup on my beans, too.

How's it going "lzzoso?" I'm glad that I found your comment on this thread. I can see that you are a fan of both just like I am although I do give a very slight little edge to Pacino over DeNiro ONLY BECAUSE OF SCARFACE AND SCARFACE ONLY! The edge is so slight that it can be a speck of dust that separates the two. Thats how close my voting was in choosing between the two. By the way, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!! ROCK ON!

A LATE NOTE: By the way, I really enjoyed your "AL PACINO OR ROBERT DENIRO" thread here on the forum, although it seems that Robert DeNiro is topping Al Pacino in the voting catagory. In true retrospect, I don't even think that Al Pacino would care if he lost out to Robert DeNiro. These two actors are two of the all-time greatest actors ever. ROCK ON!

I am and have always been a fan of these two acting "giants". Most, but not all, the movies that I own or buy on dvd are of these two actors. Of course I do not own every single movie that these two have been in, it is just that I know that the movies that they are in I will watch more than a few times. Sometimes on an average Sunday afternoon if there isn't anything I feel like watching on cable, I will put on one of their movies. A few good examples would be Scarface, of course, Scent of a Woman, Donnie Brasco, Heat, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Jackie Brown, Meet the Parents and so many more.

I realize that everybody has their favorite actors and actresses and Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro may or may not be one of them. However, with me, it just seems that no matter how Great, Good, Average or even (to some) Poor some of their movies may be, I just cannot get enough of watching these two actors, act. If you love Led Zeppelin and their music as much as I do than most of you will know exactly what I am talking about!!!

Archived