Marijuana legalization

Mountain Hopper

It's a generational thing, we grew up in the 60's and 70's, taking drugs was "just something we did".  If you weren't there, it's hard to understand the casual normal-ness of it.  Very few of us ended up wasted burn-outs, most of us have nice middle class jobs, raised some good kids, own our own homes and pay our taxes.  It seems like younger folks, who grew up with "just Say No" and the D.A.R.E. program, have a  cartoonish view of drugs, with weed and psychedelics viewed as the samething as crack and heroine.

Edited by chef free

1 hour ago, chef free said:

It's a generational thing, we grew up in the 60's and 70's, taking drugs was "just something we did".  If you weren't there, it's hard to understand the casual normal-ness of it.  Very few of us ended up wasted burn-outs, most of us have nice middle class jobs, raised some good kids, own our own homes and pay our taxes.  It seems like younger folks, who grew up with "just Say No" and the D.A.R.E. program, have a  cartoonish view of drugs, with weed and psychedelics viewed as the samething as crack and heroine.

I grew up when you did and a lot of us didnt take drugs because we saw how many people died from them. I remember a girl in high school who only took drugs once at a party and she died.

2 hours ago, kipper said:

having a difference of opinion sense when is not okay?  I have seen how drugs have hurt people who thought they were helping them. A lot of people have pshycologic issues and even pot can make it worse for some people. It isnt really anything to laugh at, but it is true.

I'm not taking the :bait: I give up.

My personal stance...

I am largely libertarian and that does extend to drugs. So, while I personally do not think dope is good, I think everyone should have the right to do whatever the heck they please in the privacy of their own homes. That should be a domain free from government to the extent you are not harming others and infringing on others' rights.

Things do become more dodgey if people start roaming around in public high off their ass.

From personal experience, I grew up in an upper middle class town, and I saw pot wreak havoc on about a dozen classmates' lives. A few went to rehab, one turned being a sugar baby to support the habit, one literally dropped out of college because he didn't want to give up smoking. So, I don't think it's so harmless, though these people likely had predispositions to addiction and poor parenting. EDIT: I'll add that many dozens more recreationally partook in pot and to the extent of my knowledge never had anything but a good time from partaking.

This all said, I don't think it should be illegal to do in your home.

Another interesting dilemma would be whether or not employers would be allowed to drug test if it became legal. I would think that truck drivers, for instance, or pilots or train conductors, should never have any weed in their system.

Edited by paplbojo

2 hours ago, paplbojo said:

My personal stance...

I am largely libertarian and that does extend to drugs. So, while I personally do not think dope is good, I think everyone should have the right to do whatever the heck they please in the privacy of their own homes. That should be a domain free from government to the extent you are not harming others and infringing on others' rights.

Things do become more dodgey if people start roaming around in public high off their ass.

From personal experience, I grew up in an upper middle class town, and I saw pot wreak havoc on about a dozen classmates' lives. A few went to rehab, one turned being a sugar baby to support the habit, one literally dropped out of college because he didn't want to give up smoking. So, I don't think it's so harmless, though these people likely had predispositions to addiction and poor parenting. EDIT: I'll add that many dozens more recreationally partook in pot and to the extent of my knowledge never had anything but a good time from partaking.

This all said, I don't think it should be illegal to do in your home.

Another interesting dilemma would be whether or not employers would be allowed to drug test if it became legal. I would think that truck drivers, for instance, or pilots or train conductors, should never have any weed in their system.

Without doubt you make some excellent points. Weed, just like any other mind altering substance has the possibility of addiction and I have known pot addicts before. I never knew one who would whore herself out for a blunt...a fatty maybe (get it, see what I did there) however anything is possible. Most weed addicts are just bitchy little twats, miserable bastards when not high but weed being a drug will affect people differently.

Regarding your last point I wholeheartedly agree, I don't want no damn high ass truck driver, pilot, etc. behind the controls. One of the problems regarding this is weed, unlike pretty much all other drugs, stays trapped in the fatty tissue of a body for up to 30+ days after use depending on frequency of use. A person could smoke a single J on a Monday, then get tested two weeks later with no other weed in-between and possibly test positive. There has been a more accurate test developed which can determine concentration and time in system to determine if the person is currently high vs. imbibed the day or week before yet not under the influence. However this test is rather expensive and as no laws are currently on the books regarding testing, yo ass could be in serious trouble if the (employer, cops) use the older, cheap test instead of the newer, expensive one.

I agree though, you wanna get baked, do it at home or in a designated place like a "coffee house" in Amsterdam, don't drive on the stuff or smoke it in a public place as one is dangerous, the other, IMO, is rude unless it's a vape pen or an edible. Even then, know your limits and don't act the fool.

^exactly.

One could easily say - SAME AS ALCOHOL. Don't drive drunk, don't be a nuisance in a public place drunk and act like a complete tool. Same with Pot.

The fact alcohol is legal and (especially here in Oz) is ridiculously embedded in our culture (ALL major sports run non stop ads for bevvy's and sponsorship is off the hook) and alcohol abuse is by far the most destructive of all legal/illegal drugs and pot with known medicinal qualities (specifics need more research, but there is strong anecdotal evidence and more scientific research that there are at least some benefits in certain cases) is illegal. It is the worst hypocritical shit.

So drink or smoke responsibly (or meditate, or whatever you do to relax that does not need to concern others), and have a great time one and all. :peace:

PS. interesting about the test that actually determines if currently affected or a session from the recent past. I wonder what Australian authorities tests are?

Wishing a happy and enjoyable 420 to all those celebrating personal freedom today !   Some White Rhino, Pit-bull, vanilla are on the agenda.  I'll be firing up the bar-b-q and the bong.  Cheers !

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/19/michigan-republicans-marijuana-legalization-vote/33999959/

Trying their best to head off a tsunami heading their way.  It's amazing the lengths they'll go to suppress the vote.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604136116/on-4-20-chuck-schumer-to-introduce-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana

You go Chuck !

42 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

Wishing a happy and enjoyable 420 to all those celebrating personal freedom today !   Some White Rhino, Pit-bull, vanilla are on the agenda.  I'll be firing up the bar-b-q and the bong.  Cheers !

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/19/michigan-republicans-marijuana-legalization-vote/33999959/

Trying their best to head off a tsunami heading their way.  It's amazing the lengths they'll go to suppress the vote.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604136116/on-4-20-chuck-schumer-to-introduce-bill-to-decriminalize-marijuana

You go Chuck !

All the best BM. Sounds fantastic what you have planned. Any space for a Kipper on the Barbie ???

Next year I must plan better as my Diesel and Skunk #11 will not be ready. What's the Vanilla like?

Lol.....No stinky dead fish on my horizon.  The vanilla is my favorite for taste.  I'm a coke drinker, and the combination of the two on your taste buds is exceptional.  Never saw any vanilla at any dispensaries in Colorado, Washington, or Oregon.  Here's hoping you're chillin',  puffing, and burning clean today !   

I'm one of the people who want marijuana to be legalized, some city have been approved it but some are not and still in the discussion if they will or no. But I think this can be legalized because it has a good effect in our community especially in a medical way. As i read this https://www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com/blogs/marijuana-news/how-should-america-proceed-with-marijuana i know that it can help all of us soon when it is legal in our country. Just saying.

“I started smoking marijuana in my late teens. I drank to get drunk but ultimately didn’t like the effect. Not so with grass. Grass is smooth. It had the opposite effect from alcohol: it made me more tolerant and forgiving. …

“I smoked marijuana for 50 years. I don’t know where I’d be without it. It opened my mind to a lot of things, and now it’s active ingredient, THC, relaxes me and eases my arthritis pain. I’ve concluded that marijuana should be legal and alcohol should be illegal. But, good luck with that.”

- James Garner

I'd guess that's due to a sharp increase in tourism for exactly the reason of going to a cafe. That wouldn't happen everywhere else if it became legal nation-wide. 

It's not going to be legal nationwide.  You still can't buy alcohol in Indiana on a Sunday.  I imagine you'll be able to buy legal recreational weed there right about the 12th of Never.

Meanwhile, some major progress at home today....

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/26/ballot-legalized-pot-prevailing-wage/34266617/

The unanimous vote was greeted by clapping in the crowded board room at the Michigan Capitol and and cheers from an overflow crowd gathered in the hallway.

Edited by Bong-Man

8 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

“I started smoking marijuana in my late teens. I drank to get drunk but ultimately didn’t like the effect. Not so with grass. Grass is smooth. It had the opposite effect from alcohol: it made me more tolerant and forgiving. …

“I smoked marijuana for 50 years. I don’t know where I’d be without it. It opened my mind to a lot of things, and now it’s active ingredient, THC, relaxes me and eases my arthritis pain. I’ve concluded that marijuana should be legal and alcohol should be illegal. But, good luck with that.”

- James Garner

It's not going to be legal nationwide.  You still can't buy alcohol in Indiana on a Sunday.  I imagine you'll be able to buy legal recreational weed there right about the 12th of Never.

Meanwhile, some major progress at home today....

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/26/ballot-legalized-pot-prevailing-wage/34266617/

The unanimous vote was greeted by clapping in the crowded board room at the Michigan Capitol and and cheers from an overflow crowd gathered in the hallway.

That is a major step forward BM. The one thing that confuses, well not confuses me, is that they propose a 2.5 oz personal or 12 plants can be grown per household. So 12 plants could, in theory, yield say 36oz or more. Don't understand that bit. I have seen people get 500g per plant with a little bit of training and good genetics and the right kit.

Anyway anything to brighten the day for the right to personal freedom. I'll have a toke tonight for the Motorcity

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, redrum said:

"I’ve concluded that marijuana should be legal and alcohol should be illegal. But, good luck with that.”

- James Garner

I totally agree about the alcohol, but good luck with that.

Why? The vast majority of people can enjoy a beer or a wine with dinner, or a fine scotch or cognac or whatever. Why make it illegal for the (admittedly significant) few that have a problem with alcohol?

Advertising and sponsorship should be 100% reined in. Just like cigarette advertising. There is no need. People who like a drink know what they like - advertising is nothing more than recruitment mostly aimed at very young impressionable males. Just like gambling ads (at least here).

Alcohol and pot should be legal. Tax it, have businesses provide the products and services, and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for consumption.

It really isn't that hard.

28 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Why? The vast majority of people can enjoy a beer or a wine with dinner, or a fine scotch or cognac or whatever. Why make it illegal for the (admittedly significant) few that have a problem with alcohol?

Advertising and sponsorship should be 100% reined in. Just like cigarette advertising. There is no need. People who like a drink know what they like - advertising is nothing more than recruitment mostly aimed at very young impressionable males. Just like gambling ads (at least here).

Alcohol and pot should be legal. Tax it, have businesses provide the products and services, and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for consumption.

It really isn't that hard.

Why?

Because of what it's done to so many of my family members. That, and the devastation it causes to so many and this:

Every day, almost 29 people in the United States die in alcohol-impaired vehicle crashes—that's one person every 50 minutes in 2016. Drunk-driving fatalities have fallen by a third in the last three decades; however, drunk-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year. In 2010, the most recent year for which cost data is available, these deaths and damages contributed to a cost of $44B per year.

I truly hate the hard booze ads on TV.

4 minutes ago, redrum said:

Why?

Because of what it's done to so many of my family members. That, and the devastation it causes to so many and this:

Every day, almost 29 people in the United States die in alcohol-impaired vehicle crashes—that's one person every 50 minutes in 2016. Drunk-driving fatalities have fallen by a third in the last three decades; however, drunk-driving crashes claim more than 10,000 lives per year. In 2010, the most recent year for which cost data is available, these deaths and damages contributed to a cost of $44B per year.

I truly hate the hard booze ads on TV.

I agree it is devastating to many. Much more so than pot is - or would be on an even par.

Stop marketing it - no advertising at all.

Personal responsibility.

I don't think you can punish the vast majority of responsible drinkers for the sins of the few. Even when the few are really devestating to themselves/family/community.

Otherwise, I'd argue it is even more pertinent to ban guns on the "devastation" caused by those who misuse them.