Marijuana legalization

Mountain Hopper

As part of the 2020 New Zealand election, people could either vote for marijuana legalization or euthanasia. Euthanasia got the most votes, however, I personally would've wanted it the other way round. 

Marijuana/cannabis/weed call it what you like - sure, it's a drug, but it's not as deadly as other drugs. According to Medical News Today, it's actually not possible to smoke a lethal dose of weed. A lot of people use it anyways, so why not legalize it so they don't have to run in with the law?

Euthanasia on the other hand, even though the idea is good, it can be corrupted way too easily. People these days will take whatever it is to get money, and might even kill their loved ones just to do it.

If anybody has any other thoughts, please explain to me. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Euthanasia on the other hand, even though the idea is good, it can be corrupted way too easily. People these days will take whatever it is to get money, and might even kill their loved ones just to do it.

Yes, it is always going to be a problem in terms of ensuring no exploitation of the sick/week/stupid/unfortunate - but at the end of the day, if someone wants to check out before a particularly nasty cancer turns their life into nothing more than unbearable and untreatable pain with no prospect of anything but more of the same until death - you have to allow people that option in my view. The "worst of the worst" cancers are beyond belief for what will happen to you before death finally takes you. Denying someone the right to die on their terms instead of on the illness' terms is cruel.

I don't have the answers to the fact that Governments are basically really shit at these important kinds of issues and cannot be trusted to pass really good legislation. Even really good Government, it's just too challenging.

And weed is the least deadly drug for sure. Funny how alcohol is the most deadly (by far) but is legal and aggressively marketed (at least here). Aussie culture is largely a drinking culture. It's a bit shit.

5 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Do you want a bunch of stoners building your car?  How about your airline pilot, surgeon, etc.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/gm-may-need-to-stop-testing-for-weed-to-attract-more-employees-uaw-shop-chairman-says/

I'd rather someone stoned than drunk. No question. Since neither is advisable, it's a moot point.

Edited by rm2551

21 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Yes, it is always going to be a problem in terms of ensuring no exploitation of the sick/week/stupid/unfortunate - but at the end of the day, if someone wants to check out before a particularly nasty cancer turns their life into nothing more than unbearable and untreatable pain with no prospect of anything but more of the same until death - you have to allow people that option in my view. The "worst of the worst" cancers are beyond belief for what will happen to you before death finally takes you. Denying someone the right to die on their terms instead of on the illness' terms is cruel.

I don't have the answers to the fact that Governments are basically really shit at these important kinds of issues and cannot be trusted to pass really good legislation. Even really good Government, it's just too challenging.

And weed is the least deadly drug for sure. Funny how alcohol is the most deadly (by far) but is legal and aggressively marketed (at least here). Aussie culture is largely a drinking culture. It's a bit shit.

I'd rather someone stoned than drunk. No question. Since neither is advisable, it's a moot point.

I 100 percent agree!