Marijuana legalization

Mountain Hopper

1 hour ago, cryingbluerain said:

Do you want a bunch of stoners building your car?  How about your airline pilot, surgeon, etc.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/gm-may-need-to-stop-testing-for-weed-to-attract-more-employees-uaw-shop-chairman-says/

Sure, just add a few hours to whatever task assigned, but they will get er done! 

As part of the 2020 New Zealand election, people could either vote for marijuana legalization or euthanasia. Euthanasia got the most votes, however, I personally would've wanted it the other way round. 

Marijuana/cannabis/weed call it what you like - sure, it's a drug, but it's not as deadly as other drugs. According to Medical News Today, it's actually not possible to smoke a lethal dose of weed. A lot of people use it anyways, so why not legalize it so they don't have to run in with the law?

Euthanasia on the other hand, even though the idea is good, it can be corrupted way too easily. People these days will take whatever it is to get money, and might even kill their loved ones just to do it.

If anybody has any other thoughts, please explain to me. 

3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Euthanasia on the other hand, even though the idea is good, it can be corrupted way too easily. People these days will take whatever it is to get money, and might even kill their loved ones just to do it.

Yes, it is always going to be a problem in terms of ensuring no exploitation of the sick/week/stupid/unfortunate - but at the end of the day, if someone wants to check out before a particularly nasty cancer turns their life into nothing more than unbearable and untreatable pain with no prospect of anything but more of the same until death - you have to allow people that option in my view. The "worst of the worst" cancers are beyond belief for what will happen to you before death finally takes you. Denying someone the right to die on their terms instead of on the illness' terms is cruel.

I don't have the answers to the fact that Governments are basically really shit at these important kinds of issues and cannot be trusted to pass really good legislation. Even really good Government, it's just too challenging.

And weed is the least deadly drug for sure. Funny how alcohol is the most deadly (by far) but is legal and aggressively marketed (at least here). Aussie culture is largely a drinking culture. It's a bit shit.

5 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Do you want a bunch of stoners building your car?  How about your airline pilot, surgeon, etc.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/gm-may-need-to-stop-testing-for-weed-to-attract-more-employees-uaw-shop-chairman-says/

I'd rather someone stoned than drunk. No question. Since neither is advisable, it's a moot point.

Edited by rm2551

21 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Yes, it is always going to be a problem in terms of ensuring no exploitation of the sick/week/stupid/unfortunate - but at the end of the day, if someone wants to check out before a particularly nasty cancer turns their life into nothing more than unbearable and untreatable pain with no prospect of anything but more of the same until death - you have to allow people that option in my view. The "worst of the worst" cancers are beyond belief for what will happen to you before death finally takes you. Denying someone the right to die on their terms instead of on the illness' terms is cruel.

I don't have the answers to the fact that Governments are basically really shit at these important kinds of issues and cannot be trusted to pass really good legislation. Even really good Government, it's just too challenging.

And weed is the least deadly drug for sure. Funny how alcohol is the most deadly (by far) but is legal and aggressively marketed (at least here). Aussie culture is largely a drinking culture. It's a bit shit.

I'd rather someone stoned than drunk. No question. Since neither is advisable, it's a moot point.

I 100 percent agree!

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I attended High Mass today.  What a beautiful sermon.  Such an inspiring way to get couch lock, and enter the Lion's Den on a Sunday Afternoon.

20211205_162344.jpg

What is it like BM?  Need a picture of those frosted buds.

Unfortunately whilst the country who enforced "The war on drugs" cracks on with liberalisation,  this retarded, backward shit hole, has a move novel approach. "Get caught with drugs and we will take your passport and/or driving license off you" Yep that's the way to go Boris. You fat fucking twat!

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

What is it like BM?  Need a picture of those frosted buds.

Unfortunately whilst the country who enforced "The war on drugs" cracks on with liberalisation,  this retarded, backward shit hole, has a move novel approach. "Get caught with drugs and we will take your passport and/or driving license off you" Yep that's the way to go Boris. You fat fucking twat!

I wish I could help you out there, but as Cheech & Chong would say, it's 'up in smoke'.  That was leftovers from Thanksgiving.

Tax revenue from weed sales has surpassed that of alcohol in the State of Michigan for the first time.  We also just had a major recall of tainted weed.  I like to hear that.  I'm not interested in anyone's moldy paraquat fentanyal laced garbage.  A new dispensary is opening within walking distance of my home, but until then I've been frequenting this place. House of Dank (Center Line) Recreational | Marijuana Dispensary | dutchie (shophod.com).  It really is a beautiful store.  Prices are high, but I'm still experimenting with various products and companies, so no biggie.  Hell, a 6 pack of craft beer can cost $15 -20 bucks these days, and all I end up with is clogged sinuses and a headache.  Never was much of a drinker.

Marijuana store to open soon in Jackpot, causing concern in Idaho | ktvb.com

I got quite a chuckle over this article.  Modern Nevada runs into 1958 Idaho. Gambling & drugs....oh the horror!  Better increase the patrols and the unnecessary traffic stops.  We wouldn't want any of those Twin Falls residents unpuckering their buttholes on a Saturday night (beautiful town).   

26 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

I wish I could help you out there, but as Cheech & Chong would say, it's 'up in smoke'.  That was leftovers from Thanksgiving.

Tax revenue from weed sales has surpassed that of alcohol in the State of Michigan for the first time.  We also just had a major recall of tainted weed.  I like to hear that.  I'm not interested in anyone's moldy paraquat fentanyal laced garbage.  A new dispensary is opening within walking distance of my home, but until then I've been frequenting this place. House of Dank (Center Line) Recreational | Marijuana Dispensary | dutchie (shophod.com).  It really is a beautiful store.  Prices are high, but I'm still experimenting with various products and companies, so no biggie.  Hell, a 6 pack of craft beer can cost $15 -20 bucks these days, and all I end up with is clogged sinuses and a headache.  Never was much of a drinker.

Marijuana store to open soon in Jackpot, causing concern in Idaho | ktvb.com

I got quite a chuckle over this article.  Modern Nevada runs into 1958 Idaho. Gambling & drugs....oh the horror!  Better increase the patrols and the unnecessary traffic stops.  We wouldn't want any of those Twin Falls residents unpuckering their buttholes on a Saturday night (beautiful town).   

Tax revenue from weed here would be the same I would imagine. However, when sense falls on the senseless, it doesn't make sense to them! They are quite happy to see the hospitals packed every weekend with pissed and injured (from fighting drunk) people and the misery alcohol brings. Never heard of anyone spending an evening in A&E after smoking a joint.

That shop looks great. Prices are cheap compared to here. Of course you have to buy it from a dealer unless one grows one's own. I haven't bought weed for about 10 years I think. As I have said many times, it will never happen here. NEVER

Take it easy BM

20 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Tax revenue from weed here would be the same I would imagine. However, when sense falls on the senseless, it doesn't make sense to them! They are quite happy to see the hospitals packed every weekend with pissed and injured (from fighting drunk) people and the misery alcohol brings. Never heard of anyone spending an evening in A&E after smoking a joint.

That shop looks great. Prices are cheap compared to here. Of course you have to buy it from a dealer unless one grows one's own. I haven't bought weed for about 10 years I think. As I have said many times, it will never happen here. NEVER

Take it easy BM

Fucking PREACH my brother. When will the insanity end? Too late for me I imagine but I'll get on anyway. Fuck the hypocrisy!

We are in the same boat as you Chillz. No major party is even talking about reform. Sense falls on the senseless. GOLD.

@Bong-Man @rm2551

It has been announced that there were 9000 recorded deaths from Alcohol abuse in 2020 in the UK. A sharp rise on previous years. There were no recorded deaths from Cannabis usage. This has remained steady since the late 16th Century

We put this to a member of the current Conservative Government. His response has also remained the same since records began:

download.jpg.5bc8888f47138e36d34cc1531422f0c0.jpg

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

@Bong-Man @rm2551

It has been announced that there were 9000 recorded deaths from Alcohol abuse in 2020 in the UK. A sharp rise on previous years. There were no recorded deaths from Cannabis usage. This has remained steady since the late 16th Century

We put this to a member of the current Conservative Government. His response has also remained the same since records began:

download.jpg.5bc8888f47138e36d34cc1531422f0c0.jpg

Some things never change. Just like back in 1907 when they banned Absinthe because the wine manufacturers felt threatened by its popularity. The wine industry was almost decimated back in the 1890's due to too much rain so most of their market started drinking Absinthe. Once the grapes came back big wine needed to get rid of the competition.

The reasons it has become legalized in most of the states is because there is serious money to be made and many invested in alcohol production are now involved in grows. Corporate interests are currently aligned against big Pharma in regard to weed in the states since Pharma shit the bed with the opioid epidemic. The population is so pissed with pharma right now that it is prime time for weed.

I don't do drugs, I don't even like taking Advil or Tylenol unless I absolutely have to, but I've never understood why weed hasn't been legalized. I can understand keeping the hard stuff illegal, like crack, heroin, and meth, but weed? It's a plant. I'm not suggesting you put a dispensary across the street from the local grammar school, but given what we've seen from the opioid epidemic, stoned on the couch watching The Wall is far preferable to tweaked out and knocking over a gas station.

13 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

So is Opium. However, as we know Opiates are HIGHLY addictive but that doesn't stop GP's dishing it out like sweets. Double standards right there?

Right, and cocaine comes from coca leaves, but in order to get opiates, you have to synthesize the addictive chemical in the sap of said poppy plant. My point is that marijuana shouldn't be classed with hard drugs. Legalize it, then tax the sh!t out of it. Treat it like alcohol and nicotine.

17 hours ago, Electrophile said:

Treat it like alcohol and nicotine.

Why? It is MUCH less destructive (I would argue net beneficial on a whim). Alcohol is actually poison to a human being. POISON. Anything is addictive to an addictive personality. Some addictions are very useful. Addiction to work, to driving that race car better than anyone else, etc. Hooch is definitely not for everyone, same with alcohol, coke, cigarettes, speed, etc.

The special treatment MaryJane has traditionally been given is purely born from political considerations - and is ridiculous. The criminalisation of pot has a very clear history that can be easily researched. The price of this hypocrisy is immeasurable in terms of real human cost.

There is NO logical/rational/moral reasoning for the criminalisation of exploring ones own consciousness. Some methods may well be dangerous to individuals and/or society. But so is driving a car (or owning a gun in an American "rights" sense).

drink, don't drink. Smoke, don't smoke. It all should be up to YOU. As long as you are not infringing upon others directly/specifically.

Edited by rm2551

Dude. Chill. Alcohol and nicotine are legal, but restricted by age. A 12-year-old can't walk into a gas station and buy a bottle of Bud and a pack of Marlboros. That's what I was talking about. Legalize it and tax it like you would any vice. That way, people who want to partake in it can, provided they're old enough, and your locality's coffers get a much needed boost of extra tax revenue. A win-win all around.

41 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

Dude. Chill. Alcohol and nicotine are legal, but restricted by age. A 12-year-old can't walk into a gas station and buy a bottle of Bud and a pack of Marlboros. That's what I was talking about. Legalize it and tax it like you would any vice. That way, people who want to partake in it can, provided they're old enough, and your locality's coffers get a much needed boost of extra tax revenue. A win-win all around.

As a long time partaker of the old Chronic I have to say I agree 100% with your statement. I had a medical marijuana which expired in November so now I buy at the recreational rate which is about a 50% mark-up due to tax which is not assessed the medical users. Reason why I did not update the card is because the card and fees cost around $300 every two years to keep. Though I love my herb I am a serious lightweight and go through about a gram a month, that's it so the fee does make economical sense for me. I also like the fact that my tax dollars from my weed purchases go directly into the school coffers where I live. I have no issue with my vice helping out others and think that's great. 

Funny about Opium and Cocaine as both in their natural state can have very positive benefits and even in their refined states they have important medical uses. Medical cocaine is used in eye surgery and refined opioids such as morphine and fentanyl for extreme pain / end of life. It's the jackass pharma companies and doctors getting kick-backs for these opioids which are the problem.

On average there are about 95,000 deaths per year as a result of alcohol abuse and overdose in the US.

On average there are about 480,000 smoking related deaths each year in the US alone.

There have been zero reported deaths from marijuana use in the US, however I am sure there are some people who have gotten high, did something stupid, and died as a result. You just can't fix stupid.

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

As a long time partaker of the old Chronic I have to say I agree 100% with your statement. I had a medical marijuana which expired in November so now I buy at the recreational rate which is about a 50% mark-up due to tax which is not assessed the medical users. Reason why I did not update the card is because the card and fees cost around $300 every two years to keep. Though I love my herb I am a serious lightweight and go through about a gram a month, that's it so the fee does make economical sense for me. I also like the fact that my tax dollars from my weed purchases go directly into the school coffers where I live. I have no issue with my vice helping out others and think that's great. 

Funny about Opium and Cocaine as both in their natural state can have very positive benefits and even in their refined states they have important medical uses. Medical cocaine is used in eye surgery and refined opioids such as morphine and fentanyl for extreme pain / end of life. It's the jackass pharma companies and doctors getting kick-backs for these opioids which are the problem.

On average there are about 95,000 deaths per year as a result of alcohol abuse and overdose in the US.

On average there are about 480,000 smoking related deaths each year in the US alone.

There have been zero reported deaths from marijuana use in the US, however I am sure there are some people who have gotten high, did something stupid, and died as a result. You just can't fix stupid.

Great post. Opium in and of itself is not a bad thing - it's the abuse of it that makes it demonized and is preventing a lot of chronic pain sufferers out there from relief. It's not a binary problem, it's multi-faceted (like virtually any problem of real significance), but the media and politicians have just stomped this thing into the ground.

I absolutely think if there's a holistic and natural way to fully relieve someone's pain issues, then yeah get em off the dope. But for some people, that's not a possibility and they're the ones who are really getting the shaft here. Great points on other drugs in their natural form as well.

As far as weed goes, yep it's silly to demonize something that is grown on the planet and has too many beneficial uses to list here. Should people get high and drive? Or go to work stoned? Absolutely not - it's a mind-altering substance just like alcohol. But I'm pretty sure it will be legalized across all 50 states soon enough. About time, too. 

For the record, I don't smoke or do any drugs at all. I smoked like a Rasta man in high school and college but got tired of it by the time I was 21. It helps so many people with so many different conditions, though - and yeah, why not have it for recreation? It's not like people aren't doing it anyway haha. Might as well make some money off it.

20 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

A gram a month? Is that possible? My last grow then would  last approximately 300 months;)

What can I say, I am a lucky man. 

I did not smoke weed until I joined the USMC, prior to that I neither drank or smoked weed (I have never smoked cigarettes). Always had a low tolerance and only smoked it occasionally until I hit my 40th birthday. Once I was in my 40's are started smoking regularly more for stress and anxiety control and to just generally chill out. I don't smoke to get balls-deep high or wasted, just enough to give everything a nice, warm glow and to not give a shit about all the stupid nonsense going on in the world.

So far it's worked like a charm 🙂 

10 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

What can I say, I am a lucky man. 

I did not smoke weed until I joined the USMC, prior to that I neither drank or smoked weed (I have never smoked cigarettes). Always had a low tolerance and only smoked it occasionally until I hit my 40th birthday. Once I was in my 40's are started smoking regularly more for stress and anxiety control and to just generally chill out. I don't smoke to get balls-deep high or wasted, just enough to give everything a nice, warm glow and to not give a shit about all the stupid nonsense going on in the world.

Nice! I've known a ton of people with anxiety over the years, and weed/edibles has been a godsend for them. Back when I used to smoke, I was also a lightweight. Just needed one good rip, and I was good to go.

3 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Nice! I've known a ton of people with anxiety over the years, and weed/edibles has been a godsend for them. Back when I used to smoke, I was also a lightweight. Just needed one good rip, and I was good to go.

If you were married to my wife, you would have anxiety as well :drumz:

No no, but seriously folks.

11 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

If you were married to my wife, you would have anxiety as well :drumz:

No no, but seriously folks.

Haha!! Keep that password real tight, Bob. 😛

Led Zep dot com ... a safe space for everyone.

9 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I don't smoke to get balls-deep high or wasted, just enough to give everything a nice, warm glow and to not give a shit about all the stupid nonsense going on in the world.

Then you would be using a gram a day !;)