Marijuana legalization

Mountain Hopper

3 hours ago, kipper said:

pot is a gateway drug and that scares me about these new laws

Gateway to what??

I would be much more scared for my life and safety because of all this, not a result of pot use:

The opioid epidemic.

The Millions on prescription pain killers.

The Millions that have become alcoholics.

But, if think you'd be safer living somewhere that has all of the above, except legalized pot use, then go ahead, and think you're safer..

A gateway drug ??

Hey, the 1950's called,  they want their thought process back .

Gateway's are for those with weak will. Unfortunately in our society of sheep here in the States, that is a significant portion of our population..and those sheep I speak of have already been ushered through said " gateway " by the pharmaceutical companies via their local doctor. 

41 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

A gateway drug ??

Hey, the 1950's called,  they want their thought process back .

Gateway's are for those with weak will. Unfortunately in our society of sheep here in the States, that is a significant portion of our population..and those sheep I speak of have already been ushered through said " gateway " by the pharmaceutical companies via their local doctor. 

10 hours ago, The Rover said:

Nobody should be driving a car if they have drunk any alcohol. How does that sound???

Ahhhh, but that's *not* the law, is it??

Do you realize how many thousands of people are driving vehicles on the road under the influence of "legal" prescription and over-the-counter medications??

They've done those tests where, in a closed area, they've allowed driver's to drink 2 drinks and test them. Then more drinks. Some of the driver's that said they didn't feel like they'd had too much, knocked over the cones.

I'd rather see alcohol banned. Yet, with hundreds of thousands of alcohol related deaths, it remains "legal" and acceptable, to even advertise on Television.

Man, I have travelled all over the world and the US is without a doubt, the single most hypocritical, do as I say, not as I do nation, bar none.

Like you said, alcohol and prescription drug usage is encouraged, yet, people freak out and label those who become addicts weak and scum. Or how about my favorite...the sexualization of teen & pre-teen girls in particular. We have Pink from Victoria's Secret which was designed SPECIFICALLY to sell product through the sexualization of children, plus countless ads, movies, and media which also pushes this bullshit. Then, as soon as some 35 year old teacher bangs a 15 year old student everyone is, "Oh you dirty pervert...what is wrong with you!!!" Ever go into a VS over the past 10 years? 95% of the people in there are under 18. All the grown ups are buying that shit at Sears or JC Penny because the quality is better at 1/4 the cost.

I tell ya, you have hit the nail on the head. If the US had even a lick of sense, all these ads and media which sells liquor, sexualizes children, and pushes pharmaceutical dope would be banned, just like they are in every other freaking country on Earth.

We need to stop sending these mixed messages, we need to stop advertising and popularizing all of this duplicitous shit. 

9 hours ago, kipper said:

pot is a gateway drug and that scares me about these new laws

No, actually, the real gateway drugs are:

Tobacco, alcohol, Ritalin, Adderall, and prescription opioids. 

Weed is a gateway drug insofar as broccoli is a gateway vegetable.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

Man, I have travelled all over the world and the US is without a doubt, the single most hypocritical, do as I say, not as I do nation, bar none.

Like you said, alcohol and prescription drug usage is encouraged, yet, people freak out and label those who become addicts weak and scum. Or how about my favorite...the sexualization of teen & pre-teen girls in particular. We have Pink from Victoria's Secret which was designed SPECIFICALLY to sell product through the sexualization of children, plus countless ads, movies, and media which also pushes this bullshit. Then, as soon as some 35 year old teacher bangs a 15 year old student everyone is, "Oh you dirty pervert...what is wrong with you!!!" Ever go into a VS over the past 10 years? 95% of the people in there are under 18. All the grown ups are buying that shit at Sears or JC Penny because the quality is better at 1/4 the cost.

I tell ya, you have hit the nail on the head. If the US had even a lick of sense, all these ads and media which sells liquor, sexualizes children, and pushes pharmaceutical dope would be banned, just like they are in every other freaking country on Earth.

We need to stop sending these mixed messages, we need to stop advertising and popularizing all of this duplicitous shit. 

Thats interesting IpMan. Here, the culture of alcohol is out of control. And throw in online betting. Every sporting event BAR NONE (and sports is quite popular here) is swimming in alcohol promotions and advertisements, and plagued with online gambling ads - and embedded spots promoting the betting company. Two of the biggest social issues in this country are gambling addiction - which is having a grave impact on far too many families, and alcohol abuse and all that comes with that (drink driving, family breakdowns, violence, abuse, etc.). Even the Russian vodka culture would be shamed by Australia's love affair with beer and alcohol generally.

Now I'm 100% about personal responsibility and choice, but this shit is beyond ridiculous. You have to take non stop pushing of alcohol and gambling if you ever want to watch the game - be it cricket, soccer, footy (AFL,NRL,Rugby), motor racing, whatever it is. And kids watch sports as much as us. Usually there is a 5 minute block of ads before kick off/tee off/whatever and most of those are of course gambling and alcohol. During half time, they update odds, and a bookie gives a 3 minute speil about how there's special offers, first to score bonus bets, etc, etc. All aimed at young males - 18 to 25 demographic. The commentary team actually cut to the SportsBet guy and off he goes telling eveyone how great the current special offers are. It's really shit. No escaping it. There are the graphically painted on alcohol signs on field during the game. The sports ground itself, covered with billboards and fencing signage. Team sponsorship is in large part by gambling companies now as well.

I don't think we quite have the sexualization of children issue as much, and the pharma dope pushing is not of a scale like you have which is good.

Unfortunately, it all comes down to the design of regulations and laws. And guess what? Fat chance things will change when powerful lobby groups pump money into political parties coffers. THAT is the issue. The corruption is OVERT and entrenched. More there than here, but all western capitalist free market systems are no more immune to it than communist dictatorships. Money talks. And corrupts.

It should be all about moderation. Just like consumption of alcohol or weed. MODERATION. Some ads, no worries, just don't fucking hijack everything...

12 hours ago, The Rover said:

Gateway to what??

I would be much more scared for my life and safety because of all this, not a result of pot use:

The opioid epidemic.

The Millions on prescription pain killers.

The Millions that have become alcoholics.

But, if think you'd be safer living somewhere that has all of the above, except legalized pot use, then go ahead, and think you're safer..

I have never seen anyone who used pot that didnt try other stuff too.  opiods are not a epidemic, they are people who took them and should have known better.

16 hours ago, The Rover said:

Well, as more states legalize recreational use, then the % going to Colorado, will come down. California has a moderate climate. I suppose many of the transients and criminals will be headed out west... And the Colorado crime rate will go down..

True perhaps but not really my point which is that other states don't want the additional crime so it wouldn't be in their best interest  re legalized recreational weed.

4 minutes ago, cryingbluerain said:

True perhaps but not really my point which is that other states don't want the additional crime so it wouldn't be in their best interest  re legalized recreational weed.

this legal pot thing is going to backfire on some of these states. it saaid on the news that Colorado is now full of hippie type homeless people high on drugs and causing problems.

1 hour ago, kipper said:

this legal pot thing is going to backfire on some of these states. it saaid on the news that Colorado is now full of hippie type homeless people high on drugs and causing problems.

This is just bullshit propaganda you are hearing (for the most part). My cousins live outside of Denver (Aurora) and they tell me otherwise. Sure, you go into the shitty neighborhoods and you will find shitty people, but on the whole, legalization has had a much more positive impact. Weed usage among the under 18 crowd has gone down and hard drug usage has also gone down across all age groups. The courts now have much more time to do real casework and the prison system is getting a break. Plus, they have raised hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue which has balanced their budget and created a surplus.

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Thats interesting IpMan. Here, the culture of alcohol is out of control. And throw in online betting. Every sporting event BAR NONE (and sports is quite popular here) is swimming in alcohol promotions and advertisements, and plagued with online gambling ads - and embedded spots promoting the betting company. Two of the biggest social issues in this country are gambling addiction - which is having a grave impact on far too many families, and alcohol abuse and all that comes with that (drink driving, family breakdowns, violence, abuse, etc.). Even the Russian vodka culture would be shamed by Australia's love affair with beer and alcohol generally.

Now I'm 100% about personal responsibility and choice, but this shit is beyond ridiculous. You have to take non stop pushing of alcohol and gambling if you ever want to watch the game - be it cricket, soccer, footy (AFL,NRL,Rugby), motor racing, whatever it is. And kids watch sports as much as us. Usually there is a 5 minute block of ads before kick off/tee off/whatever and most of those are of course gambling and alcohol. During half time, they update odds, and a bookie gives a 3 minute speil about how there's special offers, first to score bonus bets, etc, etc. All aimed at young males - 18 to 25 demographic. The commentary team actually cut to the SportsBet guy and off he goes telling eveyone how great the current special offers are. It's really shit. No escaping it. There are the graphically painted on alcohol signs on field during the game. The sports ground itself, covered with billboards and fencing signage. Team sponsorship is in large part by gambling companies now as well.

I don't think we quite have the sexualization of children issue as much, and the pharma dope pushing is not of a scale like you have which is good.

Unfortunately, it all comes down to the design of regulations and laws. And guess what? Fat chance things will change when powerful lobby groups pump money into political parties coffers. THAT is the issue. The corruption is OVERT and entrenched. More there than here, but all western capitalist free market systems are no more immune to it than communist dictatorships. Money talks. And corrupts.

It should be all about moderation. Just like consumption of alcohol or weed. MODERATION. Some ads, no worries, just don't fucking hijack everything...

Thanks for the info. NZ is one of the few places I have never been to though would love to go to. Such a beautiful country. I tried going three times in the 90's but I believe only Quantas serviced NZ from the States and they charged about $4,500 for a round trip ticket in the baggage compartment. I believe three or more airlines now provide the service and cost is down so I may bounce on over.

Yep, money truly is the root of all evil

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

Thanks for the info. NZ is one of the few places I have never been to though would love to go to. Such a beautiful country. I tried going three times in the 90's but I believe only Quantas serviced NZ from the States and they charged about $4,500 for a round trip ticket in the baggage compartment. I believe three or more airlines now provide the service and cost is down so I may bounce on over.

Yep, money truly is the root of all evil

Wait a while, NZ is looking to legalise as well. It's at the start of the process so may be 2 or 3 years away. If you ever get a chance to come to Aust. Come to Brisbane, we'll knock the froth off a couple. :drinks:

Just now, rm2551 said:

I'm down to ONLY drinking with company now Chilli - and even then, not going hammer and tongs anymore. We'll be sweet. ;)

I have to say the beer in Oz is wonderful. Oh the days of VB by the Murray river. Wine not shabby either. But I agree your sentiments re gambling, In fact when I was there it was illegal to gamble in Victoria

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

I have to say the beer in Oz is wonderful. Oh the days of VB by the Murray river. Wine not shabby either. But I agree your sentiments re gambling, In fact when I was there it was illegal to gamble in Victoria

yeah, we really do now how to brew and ferment.

17 hours ago, kipper said:

I have never seen anyone who used pot that didnt try other stuff too.  opiods are not a epidemic, they are people who took them and should have known better.

I watched a very disturbing programme about opiate (ab)use in the US. Without generalising, which you are prone to do, many of the addicts had been prescribed Opiates for chronic pain by their GP. Legally and without any thought for the consequences. Opiates!!! THE most addictive narcotic around. No wonder after a few weeks when the body stops producing natural Morphine they are fucked.

By the way my Aquatic friend, you can buy weed which doesn't contain THC, the chemical which gets you stoned.  High CBD strains contain the pain relieving chemical and can be taken without the narcotic effect. Of course the narco companies don't want this to be common knowledge( which it is) but that hasn't stopped the US Government applying, and being granted, a Patent for CBD for medical reasons.

Picture the scene: 2 groups of friends in the park on a warm summers evening. One having a few beers, one having a few joints. Who do you think would cause the most concern for the authorities?

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I watched a very disturbing programme about opiate (ab)use in the US. Without generalising, which you are prone to do, many of the addicts had been prescribed Opiates for chronic pain by their GP. Legally and without any thought for the consequences. Opiates!!! THE most addictive narcotic around. No wonder after a few weeks when the body stops producing natural Morphine they are fucked.

By the way my Aquatic friend, you can buy weed which doesn't contain THC, the chemical which gets you stoned.  High CBD strains contain the pain relieving chemical and can be taken without the narcotic effect. Of course the narco companies don't want this to be common knowledge( which it is) but that hasn't stopped the US Government applying, and being granted, a Patent for CBD for medical reasons.

Picture the scene: 2 groups of friends in the park on a warm summers evening. One having a few beers, one having a few joints. Who do you think would cause the most concern for the authorities?

Anyone older than the 3rd grade knows opiates are adictive. If your doctor told you to take drain cleaner you wouldnt do it would you?

Sessions totally buys into the false assumption that pot use is always a gateway drug, and, that pot is as bad as heroin.

Well golly gee willikers , I remember back in 1967, the Dallas DA, Henry Wade, pushed that false narrative in an informational pamphlet, to scare Jr. High kids from being tempted to using pot.

Lie and scare tactic.

10 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

EXACTLY this. The social problems from these two things are night and day.

8 hours ago, kipper said:

Anyone older than the 3rd grade knows opiates are adictive. If your doctor told you to take drain cleaner you wouldnt do it would you?

Opioids, when prescribed properly, serve a very important purpose. Drain cleaner cleans drains so why exactly would a doctor prescribe it?

This is what is called an apples to dog shit comparison.

Also, Nixon's top adviser ADMITTED, on CAMERA, the whole and singular purpose of the war on drugs was to put the Vietnam protesters and black people in jail. It had zero to do with an actual health crisis, which, BTW the Reagan administration would cause by having the CIA & FBI bring in coke from Central America, process it into Crack, and sell it in the inner city to again, imprison the black population.

The fact is, every single drug crisis in the US from Heroin in the late 60's to Crack in the 80's to opioids today has been a direct result of government policy.

26 minutes ago, IpMan said:

The fact is, every single drug crisis in the US from Heroin in the late 60's to Crack in the 80's to opioids today has been a direct result of government policy.

That's an opinion, not a fact. I say that because I believe personal responsibility, and a lack thereof, is equally if not more responsible. Even if heroin, crack and opiods were legal I for one would not take them.