Please Don't Take My Kodachrome Away

Jahfin

Kodachrome made all the world a sunny day

a42dc59b4e879d69100807ba26b6.jpeg

DANIEL BAYER

An image from Daniel Bayer’s Kodachrome Project, viewable online at Flickr.

Dead at 74, Kodachrome leaves a legacy for the ages. A last snapshot blast is planned

BEN RAYNER

STAFF REPORTER

We don't expect technologies and human beings to enjoy similar lifespans in this accelerated age.

Rapid obsolescence is the norm, "On to the next!" the prevailing battle cry of the digital era. Small surprise, then, that the announcement this past week that Kodak was finally ceasing production of its storied Kodachrome film line after 74 years provoked so many printed expressions of sadness and nostalgia.

Even if you knew this day was coming – and, most devotees agree, the writing's been on the wall for 10 or 15 years – you had to keep rooting that this epoch-defining slide film unveiled in 1936 and which dominated the gleaming pages of Time, Life and National Geographic well into the 1980s would keep improbably hanging on against the onslaught of point-and-shoot digital cameras.

To read the rest of the article click here.

Kodachrome made all the world a sunny day

a42dc59b4e879d69100807ba26b6.jpeg

DANIEL BAYER

An image from Daniel Bayer’s Kodachrome Project, viewable online at Flickr.

Dead at 74, Kodachrome leaves a legacy for the ages. A last snapshot blast is planned

BEN RAYNER

STAFF REPORTER

We don't expect technologies and human beings to enjoy similar lifespans in this accelerated age.

Rapid obsolescence is the norm, "On to the next!" the prevailing battle cry of the digital era. Small surprise, then, that the announcement this past week that Kodak was finally ceasing production of its storied Kodachrome film line after 74 years provoked so many printed expressions of sadness and nostalgia.

Even if you knew this day was coming – and, most devotees agree, the writing's been on the wall for 10 or 15 years – you had to keep rooting that this epoch-defining slide film unveiled in 1936 and which dominated the gleaming pages of Time, Life and National Geographic well into the 1980s would keep improbably hanging on against the onslaught of point-and-shoot digital cameras.

To read the rest of the article click here.

If anyone has artwork (signed and numbered on Kodachrome) your value just went got a lot higher.

I really hate to see a lot of the things we grew up disappearing...

My dad still has a job at Kodak, right here in the world headquarters in Rochester, NY for 30 years. It's been a sad, pathetic time here in the city. There have been semi-regular layoffs every year since the late 1990's. It sucks. This is just one drop in the bucket of sad moments for Kodak. Blame the digital surge and Kodak's stubbornness to get on the digital bandwagon.

There is a joke here in Rochester that the worst 4 letter f-word you can say is Fuji. We love Kodak and it is disappearing right before our eyes.

here is some information about Kodak.

George Eastman

George Eastman House: The World's Oldest Photo Museum

Well, that's 3 great films that Kodak has ceased making and it really pisses me off.

Panatomic-X

High Speed Infrared

and now Kodachrome.

I realize that business is business and digital has crept over the world like a disease but they should give the formula to someone else to at least satisfy those of us who would still use it. And yes, I do have a slide projector and Kodachrome slides just jump out at you from the screen. I have one fairly new roll of Kodachrome that I better shoot before they also quit processing it.

Damned bean counters.

:angry:

I guess I can forget about getting any film for my Kodak 828...

What a bummer. Another icon gone. :(

Get some before the EBAY gougers start posting it. I saw a roll of infrared for 50 bucks!!

Fack you!! <_<

Archived