Karl Malden Dies at 97

ninelives

actually, i view this as a positive news story. it's awesome that he lived to such an old age of 97, and that he passed away of natural causes with his family at his side.

good going Karl! you'll be remembered.

Then why make the statement "we shouldn't feel sad".

I explained why. Because he lived a very long life. It's more sad when people die young. Again, i am not ordering you to not feel sad. Or saying anyone is wrong for feeling sad. I am just saying other than his family there shouldn't be sadness at dying at 97. That's something to celebrate. Depending on if you can take of yourself or not.

You took the words out of my mouth.

However, 97... At least he lived long.

And I don't know who is Karl Malden. :D Sorry.

was an actor.

Interestingly, like Michael Jackson, Karl Malden was raised in Gary, Indiana.

Born to a Czech mother and a Serbian father in Chicago, on March 22, 1912, Karl Malden didn't learn how to communicate a single word of English until he was in kindergarten. Raised in Gary, IN, a medium-sized steel town, Malden--like many other young men in Gary--got a job in a steel factory when he finished school. He worked there for three years until 1934 when, fed up with the drudgery of manual labor, he took a Depression-era gamble and left to follow another goal. After a short time at Arkansas State Teacher's College, he attended the Goodman Theater Dramatic School and never looked back. Three years later he went to New York City to find fame. He rapidly became involved with the Group Theater, an awesome organization of actors/directors who were changing the face of Broadway. Malden's own unforgettable face was shortly in the media when he made his stage debut in 1937. His performance attracted the attention of fledgling director Elia Kazan. With Kazan directing, Karl blazed a trail across the Broadway boards in plays like "All My Sons" by Arthur Miller and "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams. He returned unscathed from duty in the armed services and then immersed himself in his work. Fortunately, his short "vacation" had not harmed his career. From the "Golden Era" of Broadway, he made a transition to the screen, starting with his first appearance in They Knew What They Wanted (1940). Jobs came and fast, and in 1951 he won the Oscar for his performance as Mitch in A Streetcar Named Desire (1951). He was showing himself to be a consummate performer, whether tackling roles that had to be delivered with great moral weight or those requiring none whatsoever, like that of Father Corrigan in On the Waterfront (1954) or the Southern lecher Archie Lee in Baby Doll (1956). A later role came as Capt. Wessels, in John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn (1964). The film, Ford's last, was shot in his beloved Monument Valley. Malden found his greatest fame, however, in the early 1970s on the small screen, as Det. Mike Stone in the hit series "The Streets of San Francisco" (1972), co-starring with future movie star Michael Douglas. He came into millions of homes every week for five years. He also became the pitchman for American Express, a position he held for 21 years. The crowning glory of his career was in 1988 when he was elected President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a title he held for five years. Not one to rest on his laurels, Malden recently wrote his memoir entitled, "When Do I Start?: A Memoir."

imdb.com/name/nm0001500/

Edited by eternal light

His father was Serbian! Yaay...

Karl Malden was born in Chicago and lived in a Serbian neighborhood there until his father moved to in Gary, Indiana when young Karl was 5 years old. Both of them worked in the steel mills at times.

His parents immigrated to the United States before the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars

He was born Mladen Sekulovich in Chicago on March 22, 1912, the son of an immigrant mother from the nation that later became Czechoslovakia and a Serbian father, who delivered milk for 38 years.

Malden spoke little English until after his family moved from their Serbian enclave in Chicago to the steel-mill community of Gary, Ind., when he was 5.

Malden's father was a theater lover who staged Serbian plays in the church and in Serbian patriotic organizations in Gary. As a teenager, Malden played heavies -- usually Turks, complete with a big, black mustache -- in his father's productions.

latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-karl-malden2-2009jul02,0,5658128.story

Malden's father was an actor in his native Serbia, so it was little surprise his son developed an interest in acting as a boy through plays at their church and in his high school's drama department.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FATHER: Petar Sekulovich. Actor, steel mill worker, milk deliverer. Yugoslavian immigrant; was an actor in Serbia before moving to the US where he worked in a steel mill and then delivered milk in Gary, IN.

MOTHER: Minnie Sekulovich. Actor. Of Czech ancestry.

tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.jsp?participantId=120301

Edited by eternal light

Shit. What a shame...

As a native Bay Area dude, I used to love watching "The Streets Of San Francisco". He and Michael Douglas were great in that.

At least he lived a full life.

RIP, Karl.

I saw them filming in SF one time right around the corner from my work on 6th & Mission.

I loved him in 'One Eyed Jacks' and 'On The Waterfront'.

97........Shee-it! We should all be so lucky.

RIP young man.

I explained why. Because he lived a very long life. It's more sad when people die young. Again, i am not ordering you to not feel sad. Or saying anyone is wrong for feeling sad. I am just saying other than his family there shouldn't be sadness at dying at 97. That's something to celebrate. Depending on if you can take of yourself or not.

If my mother died at 197, I'd still be sad.

Jeffrey Dahmer died young. Not so sad.

But you are saying people shouldn't feel sad if someone dies at 97. Death is sad no matter what age.

But you are saying people shouldn't feel sad if someone dies at 97. Death is sad no matter what age.

To kind of add to what i think Spats meant. I see people die quite often and while it's always sad when a good person dies (because i don't feel bad when a truly bad person dies, like the person Evster gave in his example), who is young, it is usually "sadder" than when an old person dies. My example: Christmas Day a few years back, a girl of about 32 who had 2 young children, supportive husband and family, died of cancer. Very heartbreaking. This past Mother's Day, a man of 82 died (had a long history of heart disease among other chronic health problems) with his wife by his side (really felt sad for her since it was also on her special day). Was also very sad... but when you compare the two, there is a difference "in general". I'm not saying it's less of a heartbreak to the family and friends of either person, but it's certainly less "fair" for a young person to die than an elderly person. I think that was the point Spats is trying to make. Death is sad, no getting around it. We should all know how to interpret Spats a little bit by now B)

I agree that Karl lived to a good old age and died in the most pleasant way. Rest in peace...

Edited by ~tangerine~