What is your ancestry?

Deborah J

So, by definition, you could be considered American-British yourself. Do you carry a British passport?

Just read you latest post, Ev. Not sure whether that'd still apply.

Nah, I was born in Hollywood! :lol:

...very very interesting Evester......... :D :D

Too young to remember! :lol:

I know my family lived in West Hollywood on Sherbourne Drive until I was three. Then we moved to Seal Beach when my dad took a professorship at Long Beach State Uni. My mom still lives in Seal. She's had the same phone number since 1969! For some reason I find that amazing! :lol:

*edit to add* LDW, really? Pubs!!!! :cheer:

Too young to remember! :lol:

I know my family lived in West Hollywood on Sherbourne Drive until I was three. Then we moved to Seal Beach when my dad took a professorship at Long Beach State Uni. My mom still lives in Seal. She's had the same phone number since 1969! For some reason I find that amazing! :lol:

*edit to add* LDW, really? Pubs!!!! :cheer:

If you're a Briton by blood, but American by birth, you're still a pommy :D

And we'd gladly welcome you, Ev. Have a pint on me :beer:

Hello there, Danny Boy.

Considering that I don't have 100% proof (though it's probably that they are) and that there's every chance that they have descendants, I'll not name who they are.

Are you of Ashkenazi or Sephardi Jewish ancestry, Dan? Depending on which one, you may be able to find out whether you're a descendant of Eastern European or the Spain/Portugal area.

Hi LDW,

I really dont have a clue, it was just family talk and i havent bothered to reserch it enough. My Mums Mums Dan i can trace back to Norwich, Norfolk in the 1730s and my Mums parents were both part Irish, her Mum was 50% Irish and her Dad was 100% Irish.

That comes from living too near the Docks i suppose, but i only think of myself as English, whatever the incantation of that is? I just dont relate to the Irish or Jewish bits of me, apart from my love of Beigels and Stew that is. ;)

Regards, Danny

That's pommy bastard thank you very much! Literally, adoption and all... :lol:

And thanks! I would love to see Britain! I've dreamed of it since I was a boy. It's always been at the top of my list of faraway places I will one day visit. One day....*wistful sigh*

LOL

I have a plate of potato pancakes in one hand and some cabbage rolls in the other...

Polish :D

Half Polish :D

That's pommy bastard thank you very much! Literally, adoption and all... :lol:

And thanks! I would love to see Britain! I've dreamed of it since I was a boy. It's always been at the top of my list of faraway places I will one day visit. One day....*wistful sigh*

I've only had a couple of short visits there and it's a place I feel so connected to (don't really know why) and hope to make a proper trip some day soon!

Hi LDW,

I really dont have a clue, it was just family talk and i havent bothered to reserch it enough. My Mums Mums Dan i can trace back to Norwich, Norfolk in the 1730s and my Mums parents were both part Irish, her Mum was 50% Irish and her Dad was 100% Irish.

That comes from living too near the Docks i suppose, but i only think of myself as English, whatever the incantation of that is? I just dont relate to the Irish or Jewish bits of me, apart from my love of Beigels and Stew that is. ;)

Regards, Danny

Yeah, my family are from Norfolk, too. It just to be my mum's side, though. Couldn't have been a bit more exotic. Leicester, Derby, Staffordshire, Nottingham - whoo, they were going places! <_<

I've only had a couple of short visits there and it's a place I feel so connected to (don't really know why) and hope to make a proper trip some day soon!

If you need a pair of walleyed travel companions... :D

I was adopted at birth by Americans of Russian/Polish Jewish ancestry. My grandmother and her sister were smuggled across Poland during WW1. They were buried in a haywagon and survived soldiers stabbing at the hay with their bayonettes. My aunt had her story published in Time Magazine in the 1960s.

I always knew I was adopted, but I didn't find my birth parents until I was in my 30s. Somehow I always knew I was from UK blood. I also found my brother (who I never knew I had). We're brothers to the end now. His first name is Montgomery (Monty). Yeah, definitely some English in there! :lol:

What a history! Great about you and your brother:-)

Hi Ev i second that. :beer:

Hi LDW,

I look at it this way,

We the People give our Name to our Lands.

England is named after the English.

Deutschland is named after the Deutsch.

Scotland, Ireland, Holland all the same.

So Ev cant be a Briton, they are no more, unless you consider Wales or Cornwall as their last retreat, we are now an Anglo-Saxon-Norse-Danish-Jute-Viking People with many overseas cousins, Americia being just one, but i would be proud to call him English though.

Regards, Danny

Yeah, my family are from Norfolk, too. It just to be my mum's side, though. Couldn't have been a bit more exotic. Leicester, Derby, Staffordshire, Nottingham - whoo, they were going places! <_<

So LDW we may still be related then?

And theres nothing wrong from coming from the East Midlands is there?

Robin Hood and The Isle of Ely and all that, and you have family connections from Whitechapel dont you? All points to you coming from Outlaw Stock just like me.

Its Robin and Maid Marrion all over again, i'm feeling weepy. :lol:

Regards, Danny

Any time :D :D :D :D

:beer:

Do you have a copy of your aunt's story? Would love to read it.

Consider it a someday plan!

My mom has it in one of her scrapbooks. She's coming to visit in a couple of weeks. I'll see if she can dig it up so I can scan it.

So LDW we may still be related then?

And theres nothing wrong from coming from the East Midlands is there?

Robin Hood and The Isle of Ely and all that, and you have family connections from Whitechapel dont you? All points to you coming from Outlaw Stock just like me.

Its Robin and Maid Marrion all over again, i'm feeling weepy. :lol:

Regards, Danny

There's every chance, Dan. Knowing my lot, I wouldn't count it out :D I'm apparently descendent from a sheep-stealer who had to be deported to Tasmania.

I am a very proud Midlander, I must say. Though, it's not quite as glamourous as having my dad's ethnicity.

I am part French (Huegenot) and Norwegian.

My Mother's maiden name was Shinault (I'm related to General Chennault) and my Dad's last name is Thomasson. She's from Virginia (Appalachia) and he was from St. Louis.

My mom has it in one of her scrapbooks. She's coming to visit in a couple of weeks. I'll see if she can dig it up so I can scan it.

:D Consider it considered :lol:

That'd be great if mom can find it. Would be an interesting read.

...that would be fascinating....I also wonder if she ever ran into Miss P and the Boys on Hollywood Blvd...since you were too young........ :D :D

Archived