The right to bear arms

DRUNK08

I told the state trooper that I had a pistol in the car for protection, he asked me to step out of the vehicle and to the rear of the car while he checked my weapon.

I got berated for carrying an unloaded firearm in the open because most people will consider a firearm as loaded and ready to fire. :slapface: Well i've remedied that problem and have a holster mount on the console of my vehicle and a round chambered.

I get asked a lot if I have a firearm by the police. I guess I just look like a cop, because I don't look like a scumbag. But I always tell them no all the same just to make them feel at ease. Even if I had a firearm in the trunk or someplace else I wouldn't tell them. In California a cop would shit himself if you told him you had a gun in the car.

Two years ago I got stopped by the CHP while I was heading out with my son early in the morning for a week long camping trip. And I did have a loaded .357 behind the seat hidden under a jacket. Of course I always roll down my windows and try to be very cooperative, but the cop had no reason to search my car (unless I fit the description of someone else) so I just got a lecture for driving five miles over the limit and he sent me on my way.

In California the law used to be that if you had a gun in the car it had to be right out in the open for the police to see, AND it had to be UNLOADED. You could even have a rifle rack in the back of your truck with the rifle is plain sight (bolt removed was usually required while transporting). But cops started getting real jumpy seeing firearms, especially with all the scumbag gangbangers in Los Angeles county. Now in California a firearm has to be unloaded (with ammo in the trunk) and the gun has to be in a locked case while transporting in a vehicle.

No fucking fun living in California that's for sure. Why should cops be allowed to carry all the guns?

Having said this, the Swiss have more gun related deaths per capita than the U.K does so it's not as if it's all roses.

In the case of the Swiss at least most people who have a gun there have been officially trained by their government in their usage so are likely respect them more, especially when their government also keeps a strict eye on them.

Why would you assume that in America people who own guns and who have never been, nor ever intend to be criminals, would respect guns less? I think that the mere fact that there are so many guns owned by law abiding Americans, and so few crimes by those same law abiding Americans really proves my point.

What criminals do is another matter. But who actually thinks that the criminal mind respects anything?

Hmmmm I don't know about that. I've listed to many burglars who say otherwise and many of them don't even arm themselves. At least, that's the case here. Most burglars in the U.K actually flee if they are discovered. The vast majority don't stay there and hold up the house or intend to if things go wrong.

My point was, and especially since many Americans do own guns, that if a burglar comes into your home while you are present, I think that guy is either really stupid OR REALLY DANGEROUS.

Besides, many burglars are armed with knives, hammers or other insturments either before they enter, or after they enter.

I'm pretty certain if nearly everyone carried a gun like you then there would be a considerable percentage of folks firing that gun to get their money back. Anger can make people do many things, especially on the spur of the moment.

But we acknowledge that the police don't just "get angry" and use their guns in a dangerous manner do we? Why assume that the average citizen is not going to be as concerned about the responsibilties of deadly force as the police.

To be honest with you, I TRUST ME and MY JUDGEMENT far more than that of most police officers. These guys aren't exactly rocket scientists either if you know what I mean.

Interesting, thanks. So basically, this right to bare arms doesn't really apply in actuality in situations when it would be more needed (i.e outside in public where you are more likely to encounter a criminal bent on doing you harm), but only really when at home?

No matter what the carry laws are from state to state, you always have the right to defend your life no matter where you are. If a student at Virginia tech pulled out a gun that he was carrying illegally and stopped the killer dead; do you think any agency would prosecute that guy? Maybe just give him a lecture about the law he broke and then give him a medal for being a hero.

Again though, it was still written long before police forces were established and when the U.S was a different place, wasn't it? Not saying it's wrong, but just saying it was a loooooooooooooong time ago. People were allowed to own slaves back then too. That's how long ago it was written. But, if I was living in America and owned a gun I would quote the 2nd amendment too. :D

Our founding fathers were very concerned about the abuse of government. Having lived under the abuse of King George, they wanted the people to have the right to defend themselves against ALL THREATS foreign or domestic.

I get asked a lot if I have a firearm by the police. I guess I just look like a cop, because I don't look like a scumbag. But I always tell them no all the same just to make them feel at ease. Even if I had a firearm in the trunk or someplace else I wouldn't tell them. In California a cop would shit himself if you told him you had a gun in the car.

Two years ago I got stopped by the CHP while I was heading out with my son early in the morning for a week long camping trip. And I did have a loaded .357 behind the seat hidden under a jacket. Of course I always roll down my windows and try to be very cooperative, but the cop had no reason to search my car (unless I fit the description of someone else) so I just got a lecture for driving five miles over the limit and he sent me on my way.

In California the law used to be that if you had a gun in the car it had to be right out in the open for the police to see, AND it had to be UNLOADED. You could even have a rifle rack in the back of your truck with the rifle is plain sight (bolt removed was usually required while transporting). But cops started getting real jumpy seeing firearms, especially with all the scumbag gangbangers in Los Angeles county. Now in California a firearm has to be unloaded (with ammo in the trunk) and the gun has to be in a locked case while transporting in a vehicle.

No fucking fun living in California that's for sure. Why should cops be allowed to carry all the guns?

My old friend Mike bought a used S&W .41 Magnum for $100 in San Francisco back around 1971 or so. It was an open sight with 4" barrel and had beautiful letters engraved on the frame: S.F.P.D. That cop wasn't fucking around. :D

I've got a time exposure shot of Mike letting off a round and the flame from the muzzle blast is a sight to see. :o

My old friend Mike bought a used S&W .41 Magnum for $100 in San Francisco back around 1971 or so. It was an open sight with 4" barrel and had beautiful letters engraved on the frame: S.F.P.D. That cop wasn't fucking around. :D

I've got a time exposure shot of Mike letting off a round and the flame from the muzzle blast is a sight to see. :o

S&W 500 this thing is sick!

• 3 years later...

Decided to post this here as it seems more appropriate than in any other thread I could find,

So has anybody been watching the news reports about the record amount of gun sales recently? Sales for guns have been up across the entire country since Obama was elected; and since the Newtown shooting last week. With all of the talk about a new weapons ban gun sales have skyrocketed.

I decided to go out and get a price for new rifle at a local gunshop, and the place was busier than an Apple store on black Friday sales day. The rifle I was interested in is on backorder for TWO YEARS according to the clerk. Some rifles are already selling for more than 200 dollars over the msrp. When I got back home I checked out one of the online gunbrokers and saw that there were 40 to 50 bids on popular home defense and civilian "military stlyle" rifles like the Ruger Mini 14. I

Crazy! I called another gunshop and the owner basically said that he is holding back some of his inventory until next year in anticipation of a possible a new Obama gun law to be announced. He said that demand is going to drive the prices up as the supply of new rifles will make it almost impossible to restock for many months. The owner actually wanted to know if I had any guns I wanted to sell for top dollar? The guy said he would make me a great deal on one particular rifle I own in exchange for deals on holsters, scopes, fishing rods/reels and other accessories at way below his cost.

It's Christmas time in the wild west folks, and Santa is packing heat!

Someone must have dug this thread out of the wine cellar. Big Dan's name i have not seen in ages, nor him. So now there is a gun thread instead of having an all out war on the school tragedy thread. Better I guess. I visited a gun store here locally and the assualt weapons have gone up in light of all this. He says handguns and shotguns have not. Handguns are not cheap though. No guns are cheap. I believe you can buy on on the street cheaper in many cases than in a store. Average 9mm in a store about $560.

Someone must have dug this thread out of the wine cellar. Big Dan's name i have not seen in ages, nor him. So now there is a gun thread instead of having an all out war on the school tragedy thread. Better I guess. I visited a gun store here locally and the assualt weapons have gone up in light of all this. He says handguns and shotguns have not. Handguns are not cheap though. No guns are cheap. I believe you can buy on on the street cheaper in many cases than in a store. Average 9mm in a store about $560.

That is one thing that has to change because it's part of the problem not the solution.

Way to go.

Walmart sells assault weapons but bans music that contains swear words.

That policy tells you a lot about this country.

We can guess why Walmart sells assault weapons: Its customers want them, and the company can make a lot of money selling them.

But Walmart's customers probably also want music that contains swear words, and Walmart could probably make money selling that, too.

And music with curse words is legal (First Amendment and all that), so this isn't about legality.

http://www.businessi...r-words-2012-12

There is reasoning out there that that private citizens should be able to defend themselves from the "bad" guys, depending on what the bad guys are using. So, like the days of Al Capone, when the "bad" guys were using machine guns, then the populace should be able to buy and use and equivilent force to protect themselves. Where does it all end, this arms race, to be ever equivilent to what the bad guys, or even the military are using, Is that what the 2nd Amendment means.... that whatever "arms" the Govt. are using in their ground forces, then the populace should have the ability to procure and use the same ? Really.... M-16s for all ? ? But then automatic weapons are illegal for the general populace to use. But why are they illegal..... Isn't that a 2nd Amendment right ? ?

What I'm trying to say is where do gun rights begin and end. That is the question ??

There is reasoning out there that that private citizens should be able to defend themselves from the "bad" guys, depending on what the bad guys are using. So, like the days of Al Capone, when the "bad" guys were using machine guns, then the populace should be able to buy and use and equivilent force to protect themselves. Where does it all end, this arms race, to be ever equivilent to what the bad guys, or even the military are using, Is that what the 2nd Amendment means.... that whatever "arms" the Govt. are using in their ground forces, then the populace should have the ability to procure and use the same ? Really.... M-16s for all ? ? But then automatic weapons are illegal for the general populace to use. But why are they illegal..... Isn't that a 2nd Amendment right ? ?

What I'm trying to say is where do gun rights begin and end. That is the question ??

During the last week and this new gun debate, I keep hearing people say things like, "these rifles are made to do only one thing and that is kill people."

HELLO! Yes, they are made to kill people who are trying to kill you. What is so wrong with that?

During the last week and this new gun debate, I keep hearing people say things like, "these rifles are made to do only one thing and that is kill people."

HELLO! Yes, they are made to kill people who are trying to kill you. What is so wrong with that?

Tell that to the parents and families of those slain lat week

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords and IEDs?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

“Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to turn them over to the local police authority. Firearms and ammunition found in a Jew’s possession will be forfeited to the government without compensation. Whoever willfully or negligently violates the provisions will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.” - Nazi Law (Regulations Against Jews’ Possession of Weapons), 1938

Archived