Alcoholism

Atlas

I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's terrifying until you realise it's just a dream. I guess it's your subconscious trying to convince itself that you've made the right choice to quit?

With the human brain? You never know man. Old information maybe or just a relapse trying to poke up it's dirty little head! I've been reading lately about the new studies that are showing every molecule in the brain being replaced by copies about once every week, so I don't try and think about it to much .... just keep up the good work I've done thus far.

Can you still be around it or have you had to cut your self off completely? I can be around it but I think hanging with my old drinking buddies would be a bad move, may just take me right back.

Death

On September 25th, 1980, Bonham was picked up by Led Zeppelin assistant Rex King to attend rehearsals at Bray Studios for an upcoming tour of the U.S.; the band's first since 1977. During the journey Bonham had asked to stop for breakfast, where he downed four quadruple vodkas (roughly sixteen shots, amounting to about 1/2 of an imperial quart or 473 ml). He then continued to drink heavily when he arrived at the rehearsals. A halt was called to the rehearsals late in the evening and the band retired to Page's house, The Old Mill House in Clewer, Windsor. After midnight, Bonham had fallen asleep and was taken to bed and placed on his side. Benji LeFevre (who had replaced Richard Cole as Led Zeppelin's tour manager) and John Paul Jones found him dead the next afternoon.[9] Bonham was 32 years old.

Weeks later at the coroner's inquest, it emerged that in the 24 hours before he died, John Bonham had consumed forty measures of vodka which resulted in pulmonary edema: waterlogging of the lungs caused by inhalation of vomit. A verdict of accidental death was returned at an inquest held on October 27.[9] An autopsy had found no other drugs in Bonham's body.[10] John Bonham was cremated and on 12 October 1980 interred at Rushock Parish Church, Worcestershire. His headstone reads:

Cherished memories of a loving husband and father, John Henry Bonham Who died Sept. 25th 1980. aged 32 years. He will always be remembered in our hearts, Goodnight my Love, God Bless.

She needs medical care right away. As someone said she could be dying, and possibly soon.

And she might never get well.

Loving a dying person is not always the easiest thing to do. I would expect this to be a caretaker relationship, or possibly a mutually destructive one if you were to engage in her destructive behaviour with her. So you need to watch yourself. Being the rescuer sometimes means that you are only putting yourself at risk. She may not want to be rescued, and her days may be short no matter what you do.

If you happen to find professional help, I would consider their advice very carefully.

I agree with EL here. You are basically loving a dying person. It doesn't matter what they are dying from, you will be faced with much pain, sorrow, uncertainty, and anger at times.

In my experience with alcholics - you can not help someone who does not want to help themselves and you can't make them want to help their self.

My cousin continued to live and drink 2 years beyond the puking blood stage. I would guess that your friend may have several years left since as the disease progresses it the amount of booze they can drink decreases. This is because the body is so saturated that only a small amount is needed.

My ex-husband (a reformed alcoholic - Yay!!) was able to come to that hard conclusion that he could never have another drink. His brother is at rock bottom, barely maintaining a life and admittedly unhappy but unwilling to change. Their father died from alcolohism. The last months of his life painful to live through, the shakes, the dt's, the coffee cup with his booze in it. My uncle's wife, gave it up long enough to get a new liver then went through that one and died. My other uncle's wife who is now down to only a couple of beers a day but is a walking skeleton who looks at least 30 years older than she is....

And my dear cousin. We were born days apart, we loved each other dearly...nothing I could say or do could make him want to stop the self destructive behavior. He had a wife and children! He couldn't do it for himself or for them. He died at the age of 47.

If you stay around for any of the probably good reasons you have, realize that you may have no impact at all on the situation except to be there to wipe puke off her face and clean her up, or pay her rent, or bail her out of jail. All enabling gestures for sure. Tough decision when you love someone....of course you do that for them. Or do you? Do you stop, let them find out that their lifestyle really sucks and only they can fix it? As several have mentioned, you may want to see a therapist yourself to help you work through these feelings.

I feel for you my friend. You are going to experience pain no matter what your decision. Praying for you and that this woman will find it within herself to pull herself up. She's lucky to have a friend like you.

She has now moved from denial to admitting she needs help. This is a wonderful step in the right direction.

Alcohol addiction is vicious. One of the biggest problems is that drinking makes a person incapable of thinking clearly so they can't come to terms with their drinking.

Archived