Traveling Riverside Blues

Deborah J

While this was written by bluesman Robert Johnson and several of his songs are referenced in the lyrics...this is one of my favorites. A few of my idiot friends that are not as in to Zeppelin as I proudly am...when I get them to listen to this they love it....and sometimes become more open to Zeppelin. What song do you get your friends to listen to that they were not aware LZ did?

Firstly why should it matter if your friends don't like Zepp?

But I always play Kashmir to my friends if they don't beleve Zepp is the best :P

Well, we are like a comedy show sometimes discussing music. I guess I just don't understand anyone not wanting to listen to LZ. They try to get me to listen to their bands and I do most of the time. Always open to good music.

While this was written by bluesman Robert Johnson and several of his songs are referenced in the lyrics...this is one of my favorites. A few of my idiot friends that are not as in to Zeppelin as I proudly am...when I get them to listen to this they love it....and sometimes become more open to Zeppelin. What song do you get your friends to listen to that they were not aware LZ did?

So you want to know if I ever made any one a Led Zeppelin lover more than they where?

There's a guy I used to hang out with a few years ago who is a lot younger than me and he is a Metal Head big time! He knows some Zeppelin stuff but, I don't think he had heard all there songs. Just the more popular one's and the 4 or 5 that my last band was playing (I still had a few old tapes then).

I started hanging out with him more than my other friend's as they where all older than me and where doing as I have now done, stopped parting. So I got back in to listening to more Metal because this guy has a huge ass CD and DVD collection! Most all of his CD's are Metal, he will pull out some Jazz from time to time but never any Classic Rock.

Well, one night we went to see one of my old buddies (around X-Mas or the 4th I don't remember exactly when) who had just got the Led Zeppelin Box set with the DVD's and CD's. I had not had any of my old albums for many years so as I was flipping thru the inset book I said to him, "hey man, check out this song"! We played "Achilles Last Stand" for him and he was stoked! Wow! "I never knew there was any thing like this in a Led Zeppelin album!"

So, I recon there was three different generation's that where turned on to Zeppelin in that room that day.

The gym teachers play Rock & Roll quite often in gym while we're running laps. When somebody asks about Zeppelin I say "Ya know that song they played in gym yesterday with the wicked drum solos at the beginning & end?...."

I played Night Flight for a friend once, but she already kinda liked Zep...does that count?

So you want to know if I ever made any one a Led Zeppelin lover more than they where?

There's a guy I used to hang out with a few years ago who is a lot younger than me and he is a Metal Head big time! He knows some Zeppelin stuff but, I don't think he had heard all there songs. Just the more popular one's and the 4 or 5 that my last band was playing (I still had a few old tapes then).

I started hanging out with him more than my other friend's as they where all older than me and where doing as I have now done, stopped parting. So I got back in to listening to more Metal because this guy has a huge ass CD and DVD collection! Most all of his CD's are Metal, he will pull out some Jazz from time to time but never any Classic Rock.

Well, one night we went to see one of my old buddies (around X-Mas or the 4th I don't remember exactly when) who had just got the Led Zeppelin Box set with the DVD's and CD's. I had not had any of my old albums for many years so as I was flipping thru the inset book I said to him, "hey man, check out this song"! We played "Achilles Last Stand" for him and he was stoked! Wow! "I never knew there was any thing like this in a Led Zeppelin album!"

So, I recon there was three different generation's that where turned on to Zeppelin in that room that day.

Great story...and I am still amazed at how many people have only heard the LZ songs that are the "hits", it's the live versions and albums that have all of the exceptional ballads.

• 3 months later...

Great story...and I am still amazed at how many people have only heard the LZ songs that are the "hits", it's the live versions and albums that have all of the exceptional ballads.

I played the tsrts version of Black Dog with the bring it on home riff at the begginning and that got him into it.

I normally go with "The Rain Song" or "Kashmir." Sometimes i will play "Whole Lotta Love" or "Dazed and Confused." Most of these get very good responses from people and they normally ask who it is. Nothing like opening someone up to the world of Zeppelin. :D

I've actually seen people's brains melt out of their skulls upon hearing I Can't Quit You Baby (Albert Hall version) for the first time. B)

Yeah you're right. After I've shown We're Gonna Groove I let it swoosh into I Can't Quit You Babe straight after.

Never fails to impress those watching it for the first time.

Yeah you're right. After I've shown We're Gonna Groove I let it swoosh into I Can't Quit You Babe straight after.

Never fails to impress those watching it for the first time.

Some great choices there!

It actually depended on the particular friend that I was trying to impress.I usually knew their musical tastes and could pick a song accordingly. ;)Never failed.

Since I've Been Loving You was a favorite,especially TSRTS version.

• 1 month later...

Archived