Making The World A Better Place

Deborah J

• 2 weeks later...

I sleep on my uncle's couch. We came here because my 80 year-old aunt had a stroke and is bedridden. She literally has a hospital bed in the living room and can't move. He sleeps in a chair at her bedside. My girlfriend changes her diapers and her sheets 4-5 times a day, fixes their meals, gives her her insulin shots, and provides her with companionship. I run to the store as needed and pay a large portion of their bills. As for "Making the world a better place", I don't know. If running uptown to get a Derma patch for her bedsore qualifies, I guess I'mhelping. These are the boundaries in which I must work today.

Personal stories about how the world is made a better place by this or that are purely subjective.

Who's world and from which perspective?

...ah, get off it you sour puss! ;)

I'm making the world a better place by trying my best to be conscientious about recycling and buying products that are "earth friendly."

I also try hard to keep from wasting other resources--I try to conserve energy and fuel, and try to keep from buying products that have a lot of excess packaging.

The recycling part is going to be much, much easier now that the city I live in has changed their recycling program to make it easier for me to recycle!

I try to sign up for volunteer work in my community when I hear about it, though lately, I have to admit, I've been terrible about doing so. Hopefully now that I'm out of school, I'll be able to do more.

Also, though it's my "job," I try to make a difference in every single kid's life that i work with. I try to do things that are big, I try small things. I'm not sure if I've made a difference yet, but I hope I have.

I sleep on my uncle's couch. We came here because my 80 year-old aunt had a stroke and is bedridden. She literally has a hospital bed in the living room and can't move. He sleeps in a chair at her bedside. My girlfriend changes her diapers and her sheets 4-5 times a day, fixes their meals, gives her her insulin shots, and provides her with companionship. I run to the store as needed and pay a large portion of their bills. As for "Making the world a better place", I don't know. If running uptown to get a Derma patch for her bedsore qualifies, I guess I'mhelping. These are the boundaries in which I must work today.

That's one of the best ones I have heard so far. Seriously.

Sometimes yours is s good one. Especially if you don't think you're truly up to raising them.

Thank you and yes, that is the reason. I trully believe I am not responsible enough and not MATURE enough (despite being 39 years old) to have kids. I've never grown up myself. Some people just aren't cut out for kids. Even when I have had my nephews over, I'm been way too soft with them and I could never be a 'parent'. I'm better being their 'friend', if that makes sense.

On top of that, I have always liked the freedom I have to be able to just take off anywhere. If I had kids that would be impossible. I don't even have a dog for this very reason.

I on the other hand, think I should have kids. I want them. Sometimes. ;)

If you want them and feel you should have them then I'm sure the time will come. You're still young. My friend in Dallas has just had a second daughter at age 39.............almost 20 years after her first daughter was born.

You've still got a while to decide one way or the other. :)

Ev, Ths is a very moving and what you and your family have done to help make your Aunt's life as comfortable as all of you can is amazing. My Mom was diagnosed with Dimentia about six yeras ago. I love my Mom so much as she was the main parent in my life since I was 12. My sister and I tried and accomplished keeping her at home until last October. The progression of her illness had reached a point that the Dr's set with us and said it was time to put her in a facility that would have 24 hour provision of heathcare. She doesn't even recognize us any more. But my sister checks on her every other day and I fly to see her at least one weekend a month. We still know her and will be there for her as long as time allows.

Most of us have boundries due to job and family responsibilites,. But you ARE making the world a better place by being kind and supportive to your family.

I am saddened that when we are in the nusing home that my Mom is in, some of these people have no one that comes to see them. So my sister and I try to spend a few minutes with some of them while visiting our Mom.

Ev, Ths is a very moving and what you and your family have done to help make your Aunt's life as comfortable as all of you can is amazing. My Mom was diagnosed with Dimentia about six yeras ago. I love my Mom so much as she was the main parent in my life since I was 12. My sister and I tried and accomplished keeping her at home until last October. The progression of her illness had reached a point that the Dr's set with us and said it was time to put her in a facility that would have 24 hour provision of heathcare. She doesn't even recognize us any more. But my sister checks on her every other day and I fly to see her at least one weekend a month. We still know her and will be there for her as long as time allows.

Most of us have boundries due to job and family responsibilites,. But you ARE making the world a better place by being kind and supportive to your family.

I am saddened that when we are in the nusing home that my Mom is in, some of these people have no one that comes to see them. So my sister and I try to spend a few minutes with some of them while visiting our Mom.

Deb, my aunt alternately calls me David or Danny (my name is Evan). People she grew up with in the 1930s who've been dead longer than I've been alive who she swears were just in the room. She thinks she's in New York living with her mom. She calls her husband Mom. I have to show her pictures to convince her I'm really her sister's son. She constantly asks if we'll be coming back. I have to tell her we live here and we're not going away. It doesn't register. She just repeats "So you're coming back?" It's tough.

^ I'm sure that's really tough, but you know how I feel about what you and your ow/z are doing.

zosodue13 reminded me: I also compost.

I'm also the neighborhood lady who doesn't yell at the kids for playing in her yard. ;)

We recycle, donate clothes and books to Goodwill, try to buy organic when we can, try to drive as little as possible, we have a vegetable garden, and we recently got a Brita water pitcher so we could stop buying bottled water.

It's not much, but it's what we do.

We recycle, donate clothes and books to Goodwill, try to buy organic when we can, try to drive as little as possible, we have a vegetable garden, and we recently got a Brita water pitcher so we could stop buying bottled water.

It's not much, but it's what we do.

Every little bit helps Liz. Though I remain skeptical about "organic". Eliminating plastic water bottles is huge though! The Powerade bottles stack up faster than my beer cans! But according to research, tap water is as safe if not better purified than bottled water in most areas. You can easily obtain a local survey of your tap water. The impurities are most likely in your pipes if they exist at all. I just keep filling the same bottle. And look how I turned out! Nevermind the third nipple. ;)

Every little bit helps Liz. Though I remain skeptical about "organic". Eliminating plastic water bottles is huge though! The Powerade bottles stack up faster than my beer cans! But according to research, tap water is as safe if not better purified than bottled water in most areas. You can easily obtain a local survey of your tap water. The impurities are most likely in your pipes if they exist at all. I just keep filling the same bottle. And look how I turned out! Nevermind the third nipple. ;)

I know our water is clean, I mean I haven't seen anything floating in it yet but we also have a fridge with ice and water in the door (came with the house!) so the only thing we use tap water for anymore is cooking and watering plants. I do drink tap water at night when I'm brushing my teeth because I'm not running downstairs with a mouth full of toothpaste. :lol:

I got hooked on the way water tastes through a Brita filter when I was in college. My best friend had a pitcher in the fridge and we used to fill it up 3-4 times a week. It was part of the schedule we made up for who did what - cleaning the floors and counters, loading/unloading the dishwasher, taking out the trash, cleaning out the fridge/freezer and filling up the Brita water pitcher.

My water is really hard. In fact, I'm actually running the dishwasher empty right now with limeaway in it because the freakin' thing gets really gross! The inside is literally RED right now.

Our water is worse than most water in the Boise area because we have a neighborhood well. It's not treated in any way, so even with the Brita filter in the pitcher and the Brita filter we have for our fridge (at $40 a pop), the water is still icky. If I could talk myself into drinking it, I would. Until then, unfortunately, it's bottled water for the majority of my water drinking.

I don't even water our plants with straight tap water because the minerals in it ends up killing the indoor plants rather quickly. :(

I will drink tap water from other people's sinks--the tap water in my neighborhood is gross, but my mom's is fine, and so is most of my friends'.

...and I should add (about the yard thing): as long as you're not picking my tulips, you're good if you're playing in the yard. ;)

My next door neighbors have a plum tree that has ripe fruit on it right now. The kids come in swarms to eat them, and part of the tree overhangs into our yard. One kid was stuck in the tree the other day, and I was inside, snickering at them. I guess I could have asked them if they wanted help, but laughing at them was more fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a girl scout leader for 11 years and my husband and I sponsored a foreign exhange student from Macadonia for 1 year. Like to think I've made a difference in those kids who are now grown up. What I do now is, the hubby and I are involved in a car club. We volunteer as treasurer and membership chairman. We have set up a scholarship through the club for seniors graduating in CA who would like to go on to college or trade schools in the automotive field. The club also sponsors a family at Christmas at the Orangwood Childrens Foundation. That organization supports foster kids focusing on kids who will be emancipated because of age. They have no family support to go out into the world like most 18 year olds do. It does a heart good to find a cause, get involved and make a difference to those who may not have it so good. Feeds the soul.

Posting this:

From today's Washington Post:

(You may have to register,but it's worth it...)

My link

For those that don't,I'm going to post it here,verbatim:

Password Hackers Are Slippery To Collar

By Tom Jackman

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 7, 2009

When Elaine Cioni found out that her married boyfriend had other girlfriends, she became obsessed, federal prosecutors say. So she turned to YourHackerz.com.

And for only $100, YourHackerz.com provided Cioni, then living in Northern Virginia, with the password to her boyfriend's AOL e-mail account, court records show. For another $100, she got her boyfriend's wife's e-mail password. And then the passwords of at least one other girlfriend and the boyfriend's two children. None had any clue what Cioni was doing, they would later testify.

Cioni, however, went further and began making harassing phone calls to her boyfriend and his family, using a "spoofing" service to disguise her voice as a man's. This attracted the attention of federal authorities, who prosecuted Cioni, 53, in Alexandria last year for unauthorized access to computers, among other crimes. She was convicted and is serving a 15-month sentence.

But such services as YourHackerz.com are still active and plentiful, with clever names like "piratecrackers.com" and "hackmail.net." They boast of having little trouble hacking into such Web-based e-mail systems as AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook and Hotmail, and they advertise openly.

And, experts said, there doesn't appear to be much anyone can do about it.

"This is an important point that people haven't grasped," said Peter Eckersley, a staff technologist for the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. "We've been using e-mail for years, and it's been insecure all that time. . . . If you have any hacker who is competent and spends the time and targets you, he's going to get you."

Federal law prohibits hacking into e-mail, but without further illegal activity, it's only a misdemeanor, noted Orin Kerr, a law professor at George Washington University and a former trial attorney in the Justice Department's computer crime section.

"The feds usually don't have the resources to investigate and prosecute misdemeanors," Kerr said. "And part of the reason is that normally it's hard to know when an account has been compromised, because e-mail snooping doesn't leave a trace."

Every state has laws roughly similar to the federal computer laws, Kerr said, and rate the offenses as misdemeanors.

Not long after Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska was named the Republican nominee for vice president last year, someone hacked into her personal Yahoo e-mail accounts. And as the election neared, someone at George Mason University hacked into the e-mail of the school's provost and sent a schoolwide e-mail saying the election date had been changed.

ad_icon

"Web Based email password hacking or cracking is one of our all time favourite and unique hobby," write the folks at YourHackerz.com. It's not clear where YourHackerz.com is located, but experts suspect that most of the businesses are based overseas. "We will provide you with the original Passwords. No questions asked whatsoever. Payment only after you are CONVINCED. 100% guarantee of Cracking. Total privacy of your information. No legal hassles."

At SlickHackers.com, they boast, "We are professionals interested in helping serious people for whom an email password would mean saving their marriage, knowing the truth, preventing a fraud, protecting their family/job/interests only when conventional ways and normal procedures do not work."

All the services advertise that they will e-mail a screenshot of the target's in-box or even send an e-mail from the target's e-mail as proof that they've cracked the password. The customer then sends payment. One service, whose fee is only 20 British pounds (about $33), then responds with the script from a scene from a Shakespeare play, with the stolen password hidden in the copy.

E-mail inquiries to several of these services did not elicit any responses.

The FBI cannot police the Internet, a spokesman said. "The FBI is aware of these illegal services," spokesman Paul Bresson said, "and we have been successful in the past in identifying criminal activity and working with prosecutors to bring indictments. Users of these services should know that just because a product is marketed on the Internet doesn't mean it's legal."

But agents must be made aware of specific illegal acts occurring in this country before they can pursue a provider, Bresson said. They can't investigate an online service without evidence of a particular crime in the United States.

"This kind of thing has been on the radar of law enforcement already," said Alissa Cooper of the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington. But with many of the hackers overseas, "in practice it takes a lot of resources and time to build up relationships with [law enforcement] in other countries. They're starting to do that in the cybersecurity realm."

Experts said there are numerous ways to steal someone's e-mail password, from simply guessing at family names or pet names to high-tech infiltration. The most common way is to send the target a link to a greeting card or something else they might specifically be interested in. When the target opens the link, software is installed on his or her computer that snatches the password the next time it's typed in and sends it to the hacker. Web-based e-mail, such as Google's gmail and Yahoo, can also be attacked through bugs in the Web browser, Eckersley said.

"The unfortunate news is there's rather less of computer security than we would want," Eckersley said. "We think of a computer as being incredibly sophisticated. But as it does more, it actually becomes less secure."

Another problem is that many computer users are not terribly computer savvy. "As human beings, we don't have good intuitions about the internal workings of computers. Ninety percent of us make the wrong decision when something pops up about accepting an unauthorized certificate. It's really saying, 'Do you want to be hacked?' "

The Electronic Frontier Foundation published a brochure this summer for people wanting to avoid government detection in international hot spots, including Iran and Burma, but the tips apply universally, Eckersley said. Beware of malware, such as viruses, worms and keystroke loggers. Choose the least risky communication channels. Use encryption. Use different passwords for everything. Eckersley said changing operating systems and carrying all important data on portable disks is another step, if a burdensome one.

ad_icon

The tips are available on the EFF's Web site.

But "if you're an ordinary person and afraid you have an ex-lover who wants to hack you," Eckersley advised, "you're probably better off not using computers for the kinds of communications you want to keep secret."

Once authorities decide to follow a hacker, it's not difficult to determine the source. An FBI agent investigating Cioni simply subpoenaed her phone and e-mail records from the various providers, which showed that she had used e-mail and PayPal to enlist YourHackerz in her quest. A search of her computer found fragments of her targets' e-mail in-boxes.

Then, according to testimony at her trial, when she called her boyfriend, she mentioned material that could be known only by those who had read her boyfriend's e-mail.

On the site;there's a sidebar which cites prominent cases of this happening,including one involving Sarah Palin.

Watch your backs people....there's a lot of predators out there.....

....some are closer than you think.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc8XOlJsm0

<br>

I work in concert with the Yoko Ono Imagine Peace Project:

<br>

http://imaginepeace.com/news/

<br>

>>

I work with SGI:

<br>

http://www.sgi.org/

<br>

I donate money and work to National Center For Missing And Exploited Children. I'm actually a board member.

<br>

http://missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PublicHomeServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US

<br>

I work with Drew Barrymore, sponsor and donate money to Fight Hunger.Org. BTW, Drew is the lead United Nations Charter Member.

<br>

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=12199764

<br>

I work with and donate money plus time to Peta:

<br>

http://www.peta.org

<br>

<b>UNIVERSITIES</b> quit implanting robotic machines into cats heads for research and research alone. THAT IS CRUEL PAINFUL and just plain fucking ignorant and mean.

<br>

I'm a Counsel member here at UNCA. Our biggest concern is student safety. Especially with the flu season fast approaching.

<br>

I work with and donate money to Amnesty International:

<br>

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmnestyInternational

<br>

I work with and donate money to EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation)

<br>

http://www.eff.org/action

<br>

The first step to moving FORWARD is to get up off your ass.

MSABC_FY10_Cancerorg_Banner_v2.jpg

http://www.cancer.or...east_Cancer.asp

Almost forgot a biggie. I do the same for these guys. I've lost 4 or 5 family members to cancer and or smoking related cardiovascular illness.

Guys please don't smoke ok? Do it for your dog if you must.

Oh and thank you for anything you can do or help to figure. Hey at least my soapbox comes with La Tunage>>>

<<<<<Exit Stage Left<<<<<

• 2 weeks later...

I recently donated a few bucks to a charity to help kids in Asia. It was only $20, not much, but I don't have a lot. I'm also registered to be a bone marrow donor and an organ donor. I tried to donate blood last week, but was turned down because I'm currently anemic and didn't know about it. I've always wanted to donate blood, and am sad that I couldn't. I also try to listen to people when they need help and help them if I can. I always try to be civil with people, even when I don't agree with them. I wish people would just get along. I recycle when I can, and I take the bus to get to school instead of driving there. I'm also majoring in Anthropology and considering becoming a forensic anthropologist, which could help bring justice to murder victims/missing persons and bring peace and closure to their families. The other aspect I'm considering is Archeology, and as I result I've become pretty big on conservation of archeological and ecological sites.

Today a woman ran off and left her Asus Netbook sitting next to me. She was headed off to catch her next flight. I was talking to someone else at the time and he didn't see it.

I ran her down just before she went through baggage checks.

She was one happy Physician :P Told me she's moving here....cool.

Good night everyone. Relax...

• 6 years later...

I donated blood in the aftermath of the devastating Christchurch earthquake of 2011

I am a Student Mentor for a course in a subject that I love immensely. This course is delivered via the MOOC (Massively Open Online Courses) platform Coursera.com. I was honoured to be picked (out of 1000's of students) and invited by Coursera to become a Mentor, based upon my academic performance and participation in the course. As a student, the kind of support that I received from Mentors, was invaluable. There was one Mentor in particular, who inspired me to participate more in course discussions and help out fellow students. I have always wanted to give something back to that wonderful online learning community!

Archived