Buying a Record Player

frankb

Most of the record players I had i got for free, at the moment I use a JVC which I got from someone who didn't use it anymore to replace my Lenco which I got in the same way.

Getting a record player ain't always expensive, just tell people you know that you would love to have one.....there are many unused ones in the world since we all got digitalized some decades ago.

Depending on how nice the mp3 player is, you can have that information displayed while the song is playing. On my iTouch, there is a feature that allows you to display the lyrics of a song. However, you can add whatever information you please in the box. So you could add who plays what, engineers and so on.

iphone.lyrics.png

Also, on the iTunes software, you can add information into a field. This is the field and you can add and info too.

itunes-multiple-item-info.png

As you can see, there is plenty of space to add info about your music. When you 'sync' your iTouch, that information is added to the music on your iPod and it it there for you on your iPod. As seen above.

You can do stuff like this in Media Player as well.

When i think about it, i feel like music was meant to be on vinyl. Its the best sound quality, and just holding a record and looking at the cover makes me so happy :). Its not fun to go buy a Cd really, a mean especially if it was originally on vinyl. The original is always better. And ive found a bunch of fun stuff in the record sleeves, like a Dark Side of the Moon poster which ive never seen, a weird radio station ad from '79 and its the very station my sister works at now.lol..

When i think about it, i feel like music was meant to be on vinyl. Its the best sound quality, and just holding a record and looking at the cover makes me so happy :). Its not fun to go buy a Cd really, a mean especially if it was originally on vinyl. The original is always better. And ive found a bunch of fun stuff in the record sleeves, like a Dark Side of the Moon poster which ive never seen, a weird radio station ad from '79 and its the very station my sister works at now.lol..

I disagree with you statement about LP's being the best sound quality of all format's but I do agree with the other perk's of the old album's .... remember Cheach and Chong's "Big Bambo"???

Vinyl was by far superior in my mind. But it all depends on what kind of equipment you use and the stylus. In late 70’s and 80’s I had what was probably the best stereo system in my home area. Whenever a new release would come out from Zep or one of my friends favorite bands we would buy album. We would then convene to my house were we would play album once and record on top of the line cassata deck with metal tape adjusting eq and bias to our ears. Better quality than you would ever begin to buy in store.

I have a record player my dad got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It is a turntable, radio, CD player, tape player and mp3 player all in one. Not high-end merchandise by any stretch, but it suits my needs fine. My dad has a real nice turntable and stereo set-up though, and when I want to listen to say......Dark Side of the Moon and really scare the neighbors, that's where I play it.

As for buying vinyl, ebay has been very good to me. I only buy from reputable sellers and I do my homework first. I always ask a ton of questions and if the seller can play grade the vinyl for me rather than just visually grade it, that's even better. I always ask for catalog/matrix numbers to make sure the copy they're selling is what I am looking for. I also make sure they go by the Goldmine Record Rating scale, and I never buy anything less than VG+ for both vinyl and jacket. Higher is great, lower is no sale. I ask for pictures if they can be provided just to see what kind of condition things are in, if there's any ringwear or damage they may not have mentioned. Any decent seller worth their salt will gladly answer any questions you have because one they want your money and two, they want your repeat business. There's a couple sellers I buy from a lot and I always get discounts on shipping because they know I'm realiable and a good buyer in terms of word-of-mouth.

Estate sales and used music stores would also be a great place to go as well. In that case, I'd say make sure you inspect the vinyl (if possible) and look carefully at the grooves and make sure there's no obvious damage that would ruin your needle.

Storing vinyl is easy; always vertical and always in a plastic sleeve. It protects the jacket's edges and corners from damage when you pull them in and out and it protects the cover and art from fading. I know someone's copy of Dark Side of the Moon that is now gray and the spectrum is all one muted shade of orange because they left it in direct sunlight. Bad news. I learned all I know about vinyl, from buying it to storing it to playing it from my dad. He says I must be one of the few people my age (27) that knows jack about the vinyl medium.

Storing vinyl is easy; always vertical and always in a plastic sleeve. It protects the jacket's edges and corners from damage when you pull them in and out and it protects the cover and art from fading. I know someone's copy of Dark Side of the Moon that is now gray and the spectrum is all one muted shade of orange because they left it in direct sunlight. Bad news. I learned all I know about vinyl, from buying it to storing it to playing it from my dad. He says I must be one of the few people my age (27) that knows jack about the vinyl medium.

When I was collecting Zeppelin vinyl in the 80s, I bought a lot of album jacket sleeves from a place called Bags Unlimited which I heard of via Goldmine. I just ordered a few of their vinyl record storage boxes, which I think will be better than the plastic milk crate containers they're in now, since these storage boxes have tops & will protect them totally from dust.

When I was collecting Zeppelin vinyl in the 80s, I bought a lot of album jacket sleeves from a place called Bags Unlimited which I heard of via Goldmine. I just ordered a few of their vinyl record storage boxes, which I think will be better than the plastic milk crate containers they're in now, since these storage boxes have tops & will protect them totally from dust.

I use a milk crate to store mine, because I like being able to see them and look at the art from where they are.

I bought my sleeves from an online seller I get my vinyl from. Really good-quality 3mm thick plastic sleeves. They're not too cloudy so can you see the jackets very well.

I'm thinking about getting a record player and purchasing some vinyls soon and was just wondering if there were any recommendations/tips from anyone since I really don't have the first clue as to what I'm doing in this area. Thanks.

Mate...remember, 'you get what you pay for'.

Don't go cheap and remember the stylus. A piss poor stylus WILL damage your albums. I have hundreds of LP's and treat them like gold...this vinyl format is so different to digital & CD's...you can feel the warmth from vinyl, and every click and hiss reminds me of a particular time.

I love vinyl!!

G'day from Oz. k5ymo

I disagree with you statement about LP's being the best sound quality of all format's but I do agree with the other perk's of the old album's .... remember Cheach and Chong's "Big Bambo"???

So didja? DIDJA? We fucken did! :hysterical:

...while watching Up in Smoke and doin Cheech sayin "Leddd Zepplinnn"

I wonder how many of those papers still exist!

But enough of this Maui Wowee and Laborador! Back on topic! Sorry :bagoverhead:

Ahhhh! Tasty licorice pizzas!!

MyStation006.jpg

Edited by Evster2012

Kind of off topic here. I'm surprised so many people are into mp3s. Not because of the loss and sound quality but because I need more information than that. When I listen to a song I want to know more than how it sounds. I want to know who wrote it, how long it is, who played what instruments, whether or not backing musicians played on the track, what studio it was recorded in, who the engineer was, who produced it, when it was recorded etc. For that having the album in front of me is necessary.

When I'm on the bus, the last thing I case about is the name of the engineer. I want the whole thing to fit in my handbag. Listening to the music when I travel alone is a must.

• 3 weeks later...