Bron yr aur.. difficulty?

Zoso1968

Erm, I didn't find it too difficult to learn really. I guess it depends on how good you are at acoustic guitar...specifically fingerpicking.

Also, if you are gunna learn it, make sure it is played with CACGCE tuning. That way you get a realy droning sound particularly when you play that low C. I think you can get by if you hit a few duff notes or rather pick good notes out of order, still sounds good.

At the end of the day the difficult comes down to you getting the music and learning it, if you can learn it then do so, if not then file it away until you can.

ReR :thumbsup:

Yeah, like Rich said, if you've got your rolling fingerstyle up to snuff, not a difficult little number. Course mine is crap, and the tendonitis makes it more pain than pleasure. But if you can get the right hand to cooperate, the rest is mostly a breeze!

Yeah, that is the pretty good thing about this tune...the left hand is not doing too much. Some fingerstyle pieces are a real bitch to play because both hands are going crazy. So like Ev said, its your right hand that you will get angry with...have patience, like with any song you wanna learn. Jimmy's picking style has always been pretty haphazard, particularly live of course, but that's what gives his tunes the magic. They are not polished, so don't try to get every note the music or the tab tells you to get.

Best of luck.

thanks lots guys! yea ive gotten a bit past stairway and babe im gonna leave you, looking for some more challenging zep fingerpicking, but not done any alternate tunings yet, so i guess thisl be a good place to start... didnt seem like a difficult tuning to get and its a fairly short piece so should be good. Thanks!

IMO Zep's open alt\tuning stuff is amongst their "easiest" stuff to play. Actually it's that way for pretty much anything in alt\open tuning, the tunings make for easy fingering of exotic sounding chords. It's all about picking patterns, which has more to do with memory than anything. If you can play BIGLY your for sure can tackle Bron yr aur.

sweet thanks guys.. im going to print off the tab tonight... itl give me another great song to learn when im tired of sibly, or get frustrated b/c im too slow/cant hear the notes... brilliantly done... but so difficult (for me at least) to learn those subtle ones... but we all know they make the music!

^^No, Bron Yr Aur is in open C. The main lick is a one-finger slide on the A string. ;)

u sure its in open c? cuz i read somewhere that it was in open c6, which is what i tuned mine to and it sounds pretty accurate? not meaning to doubt just double checking so that im not playing it wrong

u sure its in open c? cuz i read somewhere that it was in open c6, which is what i tuned mine to and it sounds pretty accurate? not meaning to doubt just double checking so that im not playing it wrong

Yes, CACGCE. I was just saying C, not D.

Yes, CACGCE. I was just saying C, not D.

ahh thats what ive got it tuned to.. =) thanks... still having some trouble getting that first bit... the part after he does the 2 arpeggiated chords like 6 or 7 times then plucks 2nd fret of 2nd and 5th strings... ive got the tabs for it and most of it seems right but it never sounds right when i play whats written.. any advice? ive tried to work it out myself.. didnt go so well =/

ahh thats what ive got it tuned to.. =) thanks... still having some trouble getting that first bit... the part after he does the 2 arpeggiated chords like 6 or 7 times then plucks 2nd fret of 2nd and 5th strings... ive got the tabs for it and most of it seems right but it never sounds right when i play whats written.. any advice? ive tried to work it out myself.. didnt go so well =/

Have you seen the Guitar World version? It's dead on to my ears. I know I scanned it, but as much as I've searched my Photobucket, I can't find it. My hard copies are in storage in California. Sorry I can't of greater assistance at the moment. :(

Have you seen the Guitar World version? It's dead on to my ears. I know I scanned it, but as much as I've searched my Photobucket, I can't find it. My hard copies are in storage in California. Sorry I can't of greater assistance at the moment. :(

haha its cool... dont know much about guitar world... did you just order it online or is it a whole songbook or what? thanks for trying =)

Edited by Zoso1968

he plays it hybrid picking which i found damn hard (i'd recommend just fingerpicking it), but it works for him i guess.

I end up playing tons of my stuff hybrid picking. It's a great little technique to master. But also know how to play it non-hybrid. Keeps the fingers guessing.

yea ive tried some hybrid picking.. didnt like it much.... and i dont think its just cuz i sux at it.... probly had some to do with that but not wholly... id rather fingerpick and pull a jp with the pick in the mouth till its time =)

Bron Yr Aur is not Open C tuning, Open C would be CGCGCE. There you have the root note, the 3rd and the perfect 5th.

Bron Yr Aur is played in Open C6 which is CACGCE, here we have the root note, the 3rd, the perfect 5th and a major 6th.

The song is in 4/4 time, so if you are having trouble finger picking, take it slow. Play the bass note with your thumb.

E|------------------------|

C|----------0-------------|

G|-------0-----------0----|

C|----0-----------0-------|

A|-3----------------------|

C|-------------0----------|

p i m a p i m etc

p - thumb

i - index

m - middle

a - ring

play through it slow and keep practising so that you build up stamina.

Achilles

On saying that JP has hybrid picked on occasion. But there are hundreds of top notch guitarists that hate it, or just plain can't do it. Some guitarists don't even touch a pick and they are awesome. So long as the song sounds great...that's the main thing. I remember my cousin watching me at a gig and we were covering Dire Straits Sultans of Swing and I was playing lead. He came up to me afterwards with a real attitude and said that I had played it all wrong. He said "The guy from Dire Straits doesn't use a pick!" I just laughed at him and asked if the song sounded right and if I had played all the solos right. He had to admit that it was right. Needless to say, I won the argument. :lol:

There are some crazy fools out there! Spesh the ones like my cousin that doesn't even play guitar but is quick to criticise. So keep rocking dude! Hell, strum with a banana if you like!

yea thats what i have mine to achilles, cacgce, heard some ppl say thats open c and others say its open c6... whatever the name is... the strings are right =) ive got that part that you posted but its the part immediately after that which i cant figure out... any thoughts on that ? thanks!

yea ive seen alot of ppl use hybrid, but i just dont really unless the song absolutely calls for it, like a couple bits of sibly, and i know several guitarists at my school that wont use picks ever.... but i like em =) yea i had no picks once when i was starting out, so me and my friend cut up some toys r us gift cards and used them =) i also used some folded paper once... sounded pretty cool strumming, but dreadful picking... haha

This is the first Zeppelin song I learned to play completely. I actually had to step back for awhile and learn to finger pick. It also works well on BIGLY and the Stairway intro.

I do wonder if I'm the only one who can't play it up to speed. I have to play it several times just to get warmed up. :slapface:

Forgot to ask. What the hell is hybrid picking?

Edited by Bluesyzep

This is the first Zeppelin song I learned to play completely. I actually had to step back for awhile and learn to finger pick. It also works well on BIGLY and the Stairway intro.

I do wonder if I'm the only one who can't play it up to speed. I have to play it several times just to get warmed up. :slapface:

Forgot to ask. What the hell is hybrid picking?

Hybrid picking is when you use a pick, but also pluck with your other fingers at the same time. Page uses it to great effect during TSRTS and STH. Watch TSRTS from the film. During the solo, when we're not watching Plant ride ashore on his boat, lol. The pulloffs are a hybrid of picked notes and the middle finger doing the pulloffs.