Live Aid 24th year anniversary

Just watched ZEP at Live Aid with my coffee in honor of it's 24th year anniversary.

As there finished Bill Graham introduces them and Martha Quinn from MTV starts

interviewing Ben Orr from the cars.

RIP Bill Graham and Ben Orr

7/13/1985 ~ 7/13/2009

24 years later and it's

still 20 minutes of pure heaven

Just watched ZEP at Live Aid with my coffee in honor of it's 24th year anniversary.

As there finished Bill Graham introduces them and Martha Quinn from MTV starts

interviewing Ben Orr from the cars.

RIP Bill Graham and Ben Orr

7/13/1985 ~ 7/13/2009

24 years later and it's

still 20 minutes of pure heaven

How's it going "THE FIRST LEDZEP" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with you. I have a great Bootleg DVD copy of ZEPPELIN's show at LIVE AID on 13 July 1985. And although I do love ZEPPELIN, I was not very impressed with their performance that night. Perhaps that is why ZEPPELIN's performance was kept out of the LIVE AID 4-DVD set. Oh well, at least ZEPPELIN made up for it with the outstanding performance that they gave at their Reunion concert at the 02 Arena on 10 December 2007. ROCK ON!

I was at Live Aid up front for the Zep set and I've told the story here already in another thread some time ago so I won't go into it all again but I will say that unless you were there, you can't begin to understand what an occasion it was and how enormous the vibe was. 90+ thousand people standing, cheering, stomping, chanting, crying, and singing throughout the the whole set. The sun setting during Stairway. The ENTIRE stadium singing the final line of Stairway in unison. Fuck the bootleg audio/video. You had to BE there to experience the true essence of it all.

Also, when Bill Graham came out after Zep, the masses were chanting "We want Zep" and wanted nothing to do with CSNY when they came out. Graham says to the crowd. "I know! I know! We want them too but they've left!"

I was at Live Aid up front for the Zep set and I've told the story here already in another thread some time ago so I won't go into it all again but I will say that unless you were there, you can't begin to understand what an occasion it was and how enormous the vibe was. 90+ thousand people standing, cheering, stomping, chanting, crying, and singing throughout the the whole set. The sun setting during Stairway. The ENTIRE stadium singing the final line of Stairway in unison. Fuck the bootleg audio/video. You had to BE there to experience the true essence of it all.

Also, when Bill Graham came out after Zep, the masses were chanting "We want Zep" and wanted nothing to do with CSNY when they came out. Graham says to the crowd. "I know! I know! We want them too but they've left!"

Id like to hear an audience tape of this and ATlantics 40th. The audio feed has white noise/hiss on Live AId and Atlantic's 40th had dry soundboard guitar and lost the keyboards during KAshmir.

Living through both of these with the greatest of expectations, I can say that Live Aid was fun and listenable, while Atlantic's 40th was not. The L.A guitar playing wasn't his worst, he just didn't play anything you'd expect. I started listening to boots after this.

YUP

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

So people actually remember this fondly and not as a terrible let-down?

I wasn't one of the 90,000 or so in attendance, but me and several close friends gathered 'round the tele and watched it live. At the moment it was amazing. At this point... 1985... Jimmy, Robert and JPJ had stated emphatically that they would never reunite and that they wouldn't even play Zep numbers w/out Bonzo. And up to this point all had kept that vow.

Suddenly, here they were. Together. A bit of help from Plant's bassist Paul Martinez and two drummers... but the thing was the three of them on the same stage again. Their set flew by... having been used to boots and Song Remains I was sort of taken back by the less-than-five-minute version of Whole Lotta Love... then when Robert asked... Any requests? Any requests???

One of our group taped the show off the radio and we listened to it over and over afterward. It was only then, after the excitement had simmered, that you noticed Robert's voice was cracking, Jimmy was out of tune, the two drummers sounded like they were playing two different songs and Jonsey was... well, he's always spot on.

For that one moment though, on 13 July 1985, it was the three members of Led-Zeppelin sharing a stage and for 20 minutes, all was fine in the world. It was a moment... and then it was gone...

So people actually remember this fondly and not as a terrible let-down?

It's a let down to people that discovered it years later, and it wasn't a quality performance by any means, but at the time it was Led Zeppelin getting back together one more time. It blew a lot of fans away.

Can someone explain to me why it was necessary to have two drummers? Did they take management tips from the Doobie Brothers?

How's it going "MisterMcLov1n?" I hope all is well with you. The only management tip that the reunited and reformed ZEPPELIN received from THE DOOBIE BROTHERS was roll a lot doobies before the LIVE AID show! Ha Ha Ha Ha! ROCK ON!

Can someone explain to me why it was necessary to have two drummers? Did they take management tips from the Doobie Brothers?

Yes, this was the number one mistake. If they would have just gone with Phil Collins I think it would've sounded a lot better. That Power Station LP had people gushing that the drums sounded "just like Led Zeppelin" and all this b.s. I guess they fell for it. Or was it that Robert wanted one and Jimmy wanted the other? Yeah... what IS the story here anyway? Any interview bits that can shed some light on this are welcome

Yes, this was the number one mistake. If they would have just gone with Phil Collins I think it would've sounded a lot better. That Power Station LP had people gushing that the drums sounded "just like Led Zeppelin" and all this b.s. I guess they fell for it. Or was it that Robert wanted one and Jimmy wanted the other? Yeah... what IS the story here anyway? Any interview bits that can shed some light on this are welcome

How's it going "badgeholder?" I hope all is well with you. On a serious note, please don't quote me on this since I'm not very sure but I understand that Robert Plant wanted POWER STATION drummer Tony Thompson since Robert Plant was a big fan of the late Robert Palmer. Jimmy wanted Phil Collins since the both were great friends. As it turned out, both Phil Collins and Tony Thompson would end up being the drummers for the LED ZEPPELIN reunion at LIVE AID in 1985. ROCK ON!

NOTE: According to the original article from HIT PARADER on August 1986, it would seem that Tony Thompson was to be the main drummer for the newly reformed LED ZEPPELIN with Phil Collins being added to the roster later. ROCK ON!

LATE NOTE: Tony Thompson passed away in 2003. ROCK ON!

That's a nice memory! Not at all a good performance, but you know, all of a sudden THEY were there on the TV. That in itself was quite an event.

As for the drummers, I believe it was actually Phil who was the problem. I don't think he had rehearsed with them. He was performing with a gazillion people that day, but he certainly wasn't needed there. He is a great drummer, one of my favorites actually, but this didn't really work. I think Jimmy's guitar was slightly out of tune too.

After watching it a few times recently, it was Collins who missed (or was late) to key points in STH and a few other breaks. Tony Thompson held down the beat and Collins was joining in and then trying to jam from memory (as he didn't get a rehearsal in with them that morning, since he was over in England performing his solo set (piano) and with Sting at Wembley.

R B)

Exactly! It was about the spirit of the moment. It wasn't their finest hour musically but it didn't matter. I'll never forget when they walked on stage and the whole place just erupted. Incredible experience regardless of it not being musically the best.

Exactly! It was about the spirit of the moment. It wasn't their finest hour musically but it didn't matter. I'll never forget when they walked on stage and the whole place just erupted. Incredible experience regardless of it not being musically the best.

Lucky you and bonzo1026! How I wished I could have been there too!

Some of the best concerts aren't musically perfect, there are many things that make a concert unforgetable. And Live Aid, even for those who only watched it on TV was one of them. Even if the boys weren't at their best. To see them on stage together again was an unique moment.

Lucky you and bonzo1026! How I wished I could have been there too!

Some of the best concerts aren't musically perfect, there are many things that make a concert unforgetable. And Live Aid, even for those who only watched it on TV was one of them. Even if the boys weren't at their best. To see them on stage together again was an unique moment.

:goodpost:

:yesnod: :yesnod:

That saturday in July '85 proved just how special Zeppelin is to American fans. They were on top of of the world again to us who watched them. Nothing compared to that special day for Zeppelin fans of the time.

Archived