Mystery jam in Dazed & Confused...

Strider

I slightly embarrassed to have to be asking this, as I know I should know what this is but I just can't put my finger on it, soooooo....

I was listening to the "Dazed & Confused" from the May 14, 1973 New Orleans show, and just after the call and response part of the solo, the band breaks into this jam that sounds like a song I have heard before...but I am drawing a blank after racking my brain all day.

To help out, I am specifically listening to Godfatherecords' "Drag Queen of New Orleans" boot, and the mystery jam lasts from approximately 21:00 to 21:35 of Dazed & Confused on Disc 2.

It sounds killer and I don't remember ever hearing the band play this jam in any other Dazed & Confused, but something about the jam suggests another song.

So if any of you out there have this show and can help identify the song this jam is based on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am using a different bootleg for this show, but I just had a listen, and to me that passage sounds quite a bit like "Rollin' and Tumblin'". I am also hearing Jimmy quote "Crossroads" much earlier in the song, just before they do the San Francisco bit.

I slightly embarrassed to have to be asking this, as I know I should know what this is but I just can't put my finger on it, soooooo....

I was listening to the "Dazed & Confused" from the May 14, 1973 New Orleans show, and just after the call and response part of the solo, the band breaks into this jam that sounds like a song I have heard before...but I am drawing a blank after racking my brain all day.

To help out, I am specifically listening to Godfatherecords' "Drag Queen of New Orleans" boot, and the mystery jam lasts from approximately 21:00 to 21:35 of Dazed & Confused on Disc 2.

It sounds killer and I don't remember ever hearing the band play this jam in any other Dazed & Confused, but something about the jam suggests another song.

So if any of you out there have this show and can help identify the song this jam is based on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

You want embarrased , I was at that concert (I was 13)...now you have me curious...can't wait for the answer!

• 2 weeks later...

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

It FINALLY came to me what it is...and when I tell you the answer you will see why I was embarrassed, as it should have been obvious to me.

It's from the song "Cat's Squirrel" on Cream's "Fresh Cream" album and also played by Jethro Tull.

Gaaaaa, how could I have forgotten that!

Anyway, mystery solved.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

It FINALLY came to me what it is...and when I tell you the answer you will see why I was embarrassed, as it should have been obvious to me.

It's from the song "Cat's Squirrel" on Cream's "Fresh Cream" album and also played by Jethro Tull.

Gaaaaa, how could I have forgotten that!

Anyway, mystery solved.

They also play that within Communication Breakdown during the 28/9/71 Osaka show if I remember correctly.

Archived