Zep and the Osmonds

• Administrators

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/200907...th-at-forefront

"Q: How has your personal style of music evolved over the decades?

Osmond: I've evolved obviously from barbershop harmony, which I thought was going to be the end of all of it … but I believe in destiny and destiny has a way of taking itself and running with you. …There is nothing greater than rock 'n' roll for me. Led Zeppelin are our friends and when we were over in London Zeppelin invited us to come on stage with them.

It was the influence of Zeppelin that gave us the inspiration to write the biggest selling record we've ever had. I'm a crooner, I love the musical type of melodies, ballads. But still my favorite type of music is more … the Crazy Horses (album), where I can gravel a little bit. My voice has a lot of gravel in it. So that's my basic style."

"Zep and the Osmonds"

:huh: I gotta admit, that's not a phrase I ever expected to see.

Thanks Sam. I guess it just goes to show that musical influences show up in unexpected places, in unexpected ways. B)

I confess I liked the Osmonds when I was a kid but when I moved on to Zep, Sabbath, etc. I put those Osmond albums away. (They're probably still packed away in a dusty box somewhere).

Okay, everybody... how many of you are gonna go see this Osmond fellow's concert.... raise your hands.

Invited onstage? And declined? "No thanks, Jimmy, it's your show after all"

Jimmy: "Aw, c'mon, you've GOT to do a couple of numbers with us".

Robert: "Yeah, yeah, absolutely, round up your family"

Osmond: "I said no, take the hint already you guys!"

Jimmy slumps away, crushed.

Yeah, how could we have all missed that obvious Zeppelin influence in the Osmonds' biggest selling song.

:slapface::wacko:

Alright' it's not exactly Zeppelin,,,,,but when the Crazy Horses single was released in the UK I got an advanced copy thru a friend who worked in a record shop.

I played it to my friends telling them it was Deep Purples new single......every one of them believed it 100%.

We never again judged a band off "image" after thet day. ( well, maybe we did, but we thought twice_)

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, how could we have all missed that obvious Zeppelin influence in the Osmonds' biggest selling song.

Sam, I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I'm guessing "Puppy Love," was the O's biggest selling song. Your post piqued my interest and low and behold, I found a live version of the Osmonds performing this song circa 1972 on You Tube.

The Led Zeppelin influence one might ask? Black Dog/Puppy Love. Black Dog circa 1971.

The O's though, had to tone down the lecherous canine theme in their song. They pulled it off, and made boatloads of money, I'm sure.

While we're at it, why didn't the O's fess up that their jumpsuit attire was a direct influence from Elvis?

If "Puppy Love," was not the O's biggest selling song, oh well...

I remember Scarlet was a fan of Osmonds. I also heard Jimmy asked Donny Osmond an autograph for Scarlet.

Shots from the hip: Scarlet Page reveals the secrets of rock'n'roll photography

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...phy-832633.html

''As the daughter and oldest child of Led Zeppelin guitar legend Jimmy, Page is comfortable in these surroundings and knows she can use that to put musicians at ease, despite being too young to remember her father's band in its prime (she was nine when they disbanded). "I never went on tour or anything, but I did get to meet The Osmonds, Abba, Adam and the Ants – all the cool ones," she laughs. "I'm not starry-eyed and because of my background, I'm almost one of the family, which does open doors, but that's also down to my reputation that I've built up over 14 years.''

In the FWIW dept., I assumed he was referring to their best-selling record album, not best-selling song. Nonetheless, it's still a bit tough to wrap my brain around that idea.

Yes, to discover that we were denied such a potentially epic moment in Zep concert history. Jimmy's moves, and Robert's ...erm... stage mannerisms, while Donny sings "Sweet and Innocent" "I love the little wiggle in your walk, the way you..." ... it boggles the mind.

:blink::blink:

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I need to go rinse my brain. :P

I seem to remember that around the Crazy Horses era, the Osmonds were wearing white satin suits, and doing that dance thing where they kicked their legs behind them just like Jimmy--

and somehow I thought it was ridiculous when they did it, and yet . . . :whistling:

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/200907...th-at-forefront

"Q: How has your personal style of music evolved over the decades?

Osmond: I've evolved obviously from barbershop harmony, which I thought was going to be the end of all of it … but I believe in destiny and destiny has a way of taking itself and running with you. …There is nothing greater than rock 'n' roll for me. Led Zeppelin are our friends and when we were over in London Zeppelin invited us to come on stage with them.

It was the influence of Zeppelin that gave us the inspiration to write the biggest selling record we've ever had. I'm a crooner, I love the musical type of melodies, ballads. But still my favorite type of music is more … the Crazy Horses (album), where I can gravel a little bit. My voice has a lot of gravel in it. So that's my basic style."

How's it going "sam_webmaster" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you. I wrote a thread on THE OSMONDS here on the forum a while back and I did stress that the mighty LED ZEPPELIN was a very big influence on THE OSMONDS! Believe me when I tell you that THE OSMONDS were for real, they were a lot more than just a bubble gum band. THE OSMONDS desperately tried to rid themselves from the bubble gum reputation that they got stuck with. THE OSMONDS gave up their career and put it second to the DONNY & MARIE show in the 1970's and as a result, threw away any chances of being the band that they could have been. The albums CRAZY HORSES and THE PLAN are a true testament of the direction that THE OSMONDS were heading in and it is just too bad that the band never finished what they set out to do. THE OSMONDS truly deserve their recognition but they never got it. Its really amazing that MICHAEL JACKSON and THE JACKSON FIVE are in the Rock n' Roll Hall of fame and not THE OSMONDS, THE OSMONDS truly deserve to be in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. ROCK ON!

How's it going "sam_webmaster" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with all of you. I wrote a thread on THE OSMONDS here on the forum a while back and I did stress that the mighty LED ZEPPELIN was a very big influence on THE OSMONDS! Believe me when I tell you that THE OSMONDS were for real, they were a lot more than just a bubble gum band. THE OSMONDS desperately tried to rid themselves from the bubble gum reputation that they got stuck with. THE OSMONDS gave up their career and put it second to the DONNY & MARIE show in the 1970's and as a result, threw away any chances of being the band that they could have been. The albums CRAZY HORSES and THE PLAN are a true testament of the direction that THE OSMONDS were heading in and it is just too bad that the band never finished what they set out to do. THE OSMONDS truly deserve their recognition but they never got it. Its really amazing that MICHAEL JACKSON and THE JACKSON FIVE are in the Rock n' Roll Hall of fame and not THE OSMONDS, THE OSMONDS truly deserve to be in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. ROCK ON!

The Zep/Osmond comparisons are almost frightening. Do you realize that Donny and Robert both lost their singing range during the same month of 1972 ? And don't even mention the backmasking on "One Bad Apple".......

Sam, I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I'm guessing "Puppy Love," was the O's biggest selling song.

Keep it straight....."Puppy Love" was a Donny solo effort. Donny sang about a puppy while Michael sang about a rat. One had a brother named "Merrill".....the other had a bro named "Tito", and I thank my parents for christening me with neither.

Just strokin' you Zepfan. Your love of The OSMONDS reminds me of my misplaced loyalty to this Canadian guy from my youth.....

I'm a child of the late 1960's and early 1970's, I also have not one, not two, but three sister's that are older than me! I can can attest to every Osmond song in there collection! My sister's had all the record's all the concert ticket stub's and yes, they even had the pillow cases! Crazy Horses was a fairly strong album and it did have some heavy guitar work in it, The Plan was sort of a trip into a a bunch of different sound's and song's.

Now they did listen to other stuff as well, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles but, at the time when The Osmond's where big (early/mid 1970's) a lot (but not all) of young girl's where heavy into them. They where a kid group for kid's basically, just like the Jackson 5 and The Cowsill's (and other kid group's) they are usually popular when there are young but lose the fan bace when they reach puberty and there voice starts to change.

The Osmond's mistake was to think that they could run a major record/TV company with out any out side help, they wanted to live in Provo Utah not LA, this my be one of the reason's why there not in the "R&R Hall of Fame" to (but they should be there)! Who knows, if they had come along 25 or 30 years later they could have most likely done it with the way thing's are today.

Comparing them to Led Zeppelin is probably along the line's of the fact that they all loved Elvis Presley and wanted to be as popular as the "King" of Rock and Roll.

The Zep/Osmond comparisons are almost frightening. Do you realize that Donny and Robert both lost their singing range during the same month of 1972 ? And don't even mention the backmasking on "One Bad Apple".......

Keep it straight....."Puppy Love" was a Donny solo effort. Donny sang about a puppy while Michael sang about a rat. One had a brother named "Merrill".....the other had a bro named "Tito", and I thank my parents for christening me with neither.

Just strokin' you Zepfan. Your love of The OSMONDS reminds me of my misplaced loyalty to this Canadian guy from my youth.....

How's it going "Bong-Man" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that the day is treating all of you well. I know that you're just stroking me "Bong-Man," you're just the cool guy with the bong! Ha Ha! ANDY KIM, now thats a name that I haven't heard in a very long time! Merrill and Tito, it sounds like another KING KONG battles GODZILLA movie! Ha Ha! Its really amazing that we're still talking about THE OSMONDS after all of these years, their influence in Rock n' Roll history can never be denied. ROCK ON!

I'm a child of the late 1960's and early 1970's, I also have not one, not two, but three sister's that are older than me! I can can attest to every Osmond song in there collection! My sister's had all the record's all the concert ticket stub's and yes, they even had the pillow cases! Crazy Horses was a fairly strong album and it did have some heavy guitar work in it, The Plan was sort of a trip into a a bunch of different sound's and song's.

Now they did listen to other stuff as well, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles but, at the time when The Osmond's where big (early/mid 1970's) a lot (but not all) of young girl's where heavy into them. They where a kid group for kid's basically, just like the Jackson 5 and The Cowsill's (and other kid group's) they are usually popular when there are young but lose the fan bace when they reach puberty and there voice starts to change.

The Osmond's mistake was to think that they could run a major record/TV company with out any out side help, they wanted to live in Provo Utah not LA, this my be one of the reason's why there not in the "R&R Hall of Fame" to (but they should be there)! Who knows, if they had come along 25 or 30 years later they could have most likely done it with the way thing's are today.

Comparing them to Led Zeppelin is probably along the line's of the fact that they all loved Elvis Presley and wanted to be as popular as the "King" of Rock and Roll.

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer?" I can definitely relate to you on this one. I have many female cousins as well as a younger sister that grew up during THE OSMONDS reign in the early 1970's and all I would hear is DONNY OSMOND this and DONNY OSMOND that! A young male growing up in the early 1970's could not escape THE OSMONDS impact or popularity during that period. All of my girlfriends in the early 1970's were DONNY OSMOND fanatics and there was no escaping it. One of my girlfriends really loved me good for taking her with me and my cousins to see THE OSMONDS live in 1972. I swear, I lost a lot of my hearing at that concert! You couldn't even hear an airplane fly over the now gone Hemisfair Arena! That concert was as close to BEATLEMANIA as you were ever going to get! ROCK ON!

The song (not the album) "Crazy Horses" did have bit of a Immigrant Song feel to it ...

but when I listen to this, maybe not so much:

How's it going "dpat?" While "Crazy Horses" may have a little feel of "Immigrant Song," it is the song "Hold Her Tight" that sounds a lot like "Immigrant Song." Listen to "Hold Her Tight" when you get a chance, you will be real surprised. ROCK ON!

I am still trying to picture the Osmonds on stage with Zep??? Nothing against anyone as I grew up with the Osmonds, just didn't listen to their music much.

How's it going "Deborah J?" I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, everyone owes it to themselves to give THE OSMONDS a listen to. Doing this, everyone will be able to judge for themselves if THE OSMONDS were for real or not. But let me warn all of you that their music will surprise you. ROCK ON!

Donny and Marie are headlining here in Vegas!

I'm a little bit country

I'm a little bit rock and roooooooowl! :lol:

How's it going Evster? I'm not sure but do you reside in Las Vegas? If you do, I'll let you know when I go up there next time so I can look you up. It would be great to meet the Evster himself up close and personal. I should be going up to Vegas again in the next two months. I'll let you know the details. All I will say is VEGAS, HERE I COME! Ha Ha! ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "Deborah J?" I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, everyone owes it to themselves to give THE OSMONDS a listen to. Doing this, everyone will be able to judge for themselves if THE OSMONDS were for real or not. But let me warn all of you that their music will surprise you. ROCK ON!

Hello ZeppFanForever!

Hope all is well with you...Guess I'll give a listen to some Osmonds tonight. I do have an album or two.

Archived