Zep and the Osmonds

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer?" I can definitely relate to you on this one. I have many female cousins as well as a younger sister that grew up during THE OSMONDS reign in the early 1970's and all I would hear is DONNY OSMOND this and DONNY OSMOND that! A young male growing up in the early 1970's could not escape THE OSMONDS impact or popularity during that period. All of my girlfriends in the early 1970's were DONNY OSMOND fanatics and there was no escaping it. One of my girlfriends really loved me good for taking her with me and my cousins to see THE OSMONDS live in 1972. I swear, I lost a lot of my hearing at that concert! You couldn't even hear an airplane fly over the now gone Hemisfair Arena! That concert was as close to BEATLEMANIA as you were ever going to get! ROCK ON!

So you and I can bond on the, "growing up boy" with girl's stuff all around you thing then ZeppFanForEver? I don't think it's a bad thing really it just allowed me to work with dad in the garage or the yard a lot! Ha Ha! Mom and dad transplanted from Detroit Michigan to N.C. so we where raised in the south, there is a huge country fan bace in my neighborhood although there was a strong Osmond thing going on, the culture was southern. My first real girl friend was into The Steve Miller band and most of the others where into southern kind's of music, I learned to like Skynyrd and Marshal Tucker etc, but I'm not a hard core Country music fan (I can take it or leave it).

The link I found on Youtube of the Osmond's doing "Crazy Horses" in England (73) is a classic, "girl's screaming there head's off", like the 64' Beatles show's! The sound system's in those day's (1960's) where not to good so it was not to hard to do that.

dpat, that's a cool vid there, hore-says, that funny! But, I prefer this one...

this is the real deal and shows how much of a showmen they where and Ev, they are the perfect act for Vegas. They all should have had solo act's from the start. They look ... well, like I said before, a bunch of kid's having a great time (nothing wrong with that).

I don't know about "The Immigrant Song" but, I do think it sound's a lot like Foghat's "I Just Want'a Make, Love To You".

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/200907...th-at-forefront

Led Zeppelin are our friends and when we were over in London Zeppelin invited us to come on stage with them.

Maybe Donny and his brothers went to the Zep show and for the first time and got a CONTACT HIGH from certain fumes emanating from the audience and Donny almost tripped thinking he was performing on stage? :stereo:

I think some of the Osmonds have a Jimmy Page look to them ... Pagey's dad ever visit Utah?

Hello ZeppFanForever!

Hope all is well with you...Guess I'll give a listen to some Osmonds tonight. I do have an album or two.

How's it going 'Deborah J?" Which OSMONDS albums do you have? I do own all of the original vinyl's as well as 8-Track's, Cassette's and CD's but my favorites are the PHASE III (1971), CRAZY HORSES (1972) and THE PLAN (1973) albums. The BRAINSTORM album from 1976 had only one hard rocker on it which is called "Gotta Get Love." ROCK ON!

So you and I can bond on the, "growing up boy" with girl's stuff all around you thing then ZeppFanForEver? I don't think it's a bad thing really it just allowed me to work with dad in the garage or the yard a lot! Ha Ha! Mom and dad transplanted from Detroit Michigan to N.C. so we where raised in the south, there is a huge country fan bace in my neighborhood although there was a strong Osmond thing going on, the culture was southern. My first real girl friend was into The Steve Miller band and most of the others where into southern kind's of music, I learned to like Skynyrd and Marshal Tucker etc, but I'm not a hard core Country music fan (I can take it or leave it).

The link I found on Youtube of the Osmond's doing "Crazy Horses" in England (73) is a classic, "girl's screaming there head's off", like the 64' Beatles show's! The sound system's in those day's (1960's) where not to good so it was not to hard to do that.

dpat, that's a cool vid there, hore-says, that funny! But, I prefer this one...

this is the real deal and shows how much of a showmen they where and Ev, they are the perfect act for Vegas. They all should have had solo act's from the start. They look ... well, like I said before, a bunch of kid's having a great time (nothing wrong with that).

I don't know about "The Immigrant Song" but, I do think it sound's a lot like Foghat's "I Just Want'a Make, Love To You".

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer?" Yes, we can definitely relate on this one. Even though I took a girlfriend to see THE OSMONDS live in 1972, you would not believe all of the girls that I kissed and got phone numbers from that night! I felt like a rock star in heaven! I was also one of the VERY FEW guys that were in the audience that night. There were so many pretty girls at the concert that night, that I would never forget that night as long as I lived. What a night that was. ROCK ON!

Maybe Donny and his brothers went to the Zep show and for the first time and got a CONTACT HIGH from certain fumes emanating from the audience and Donny almost tripped thinking he was performing on stage? :stereo:

I think some of the Osmonds have a Jimmy Page look to them ... Pagey's dad ever visit Utah?

How's it going "dpat?" It was hard going to a concert and not breathe in the pot fumes all over the venue. I know that I got high breathing all of the fumes. I can just imagine what THE OSMONDS were breathing while on stage. Ha Ha! Believe it or not, the British press used to say that Wayne Osmond bared a close resemblance to that of Jimmy Page. Thinking about it now, Wayne did look a lot like Jimmy Page. Wayne used to take it as a very big compliment. After all, who wouldn't want to look like Jimmy Page? ROCK ON!

How's it going 'Deborah J?" Which OSMONDS albums do you have? I do own all of the original vinyl's as well as 8-Track's, Cassette's and CD's but my favorites are the PHASE III (1971), CRAZY HORSES (1972) and THE PLAN (1973) albums. The BRAINSTORM album from 1976 had only one hard rocker on it which is called "Gotta Get Love." ROCK ON!

I only had one vinyl - Crazy Horses and I did listen to it. I liked them, but just never stuck to listening to them a lot. There is so much music and while I was growing up the bands were exploding and you only have so much time in a day if you know what I mean, so I guess I was more into what was considerred hard rock and roll. Music truly does make the world go around:-)

i've always thought that one of the older osmond brothers (merril or alan?) looked a bit like jimmy

How's it going "jsj?" You were real close but the brother was Wayne Osmond. Wayne was born after Alan and before Merrill. Wayne is the brother that the British press used to say looked a lot like Jimmy Page. Thinking about it now, Wayne did look a lot like Jimmy Page. ROCK ON!

I only had one vinyl - Crazy Horses and I did listen to it. I liked them, but just never stuck to listening to them a lot. There is so much music and while I was growing up the bands were exploding and you only have so much time in a day if you know what I mean, so I guess I was more into what was considerred hard rock and roll. Music truly does make the world go around:-)

How's it going "Deborah J?" You weren't the only one, I didn't stick to listening to them either until later on in life. Now I really appreciate THE OSMONDS more after listening to their albums especially THE PLAN. I love the song "Traffic On My Mind," that song has a real Hard Rock sound to it. ROCK ON!

This is a really neat story! I remember reading somewhere that Donny's favorite song was "Whole Lotta Love". The Osmonds are placed in the bubblegum category, but like ZFF said, they really tried to get away from that image. I wasn't a big fan of the Osmonds, but I did like a couple of solo tunes that Donny had out in the late 80's : Soldier of Love and Sacred Emotion.

This is a really neat story! I remember reading somewhere that Donny's favorite song was "Whole Lotta Love". The Osmonds are placed in the bubblegum category, but like ZFF said, they really tried to get away from that image. I wasn't a big fan of the Osmonds, but I did like a couple of solo tunes that Donny had out in the late 80's : Soldier of Love and Sacred Emotion.

How's it going "Melanie_72?" I hope all is well with you. I also like the DONNY OSMOND songs "Soldier Of Love" and "Sacred Emotion," these songs were very popular in the 1980's. ROCK ON!

Most likely it's the horn arrangement's that are driving you away from there stuff. I listen to them now and I'm thinking .... Man, if you take out or think less of the horn section this music really does rock!

And I agree with you LedZeppelinFanForever that "Traffic in my Mind" is about the best song on "The Plan".

Most likely it's the horn arrangement's that are driving you away from there stuff. I listen to them now and I'm thinking .... Man, if you take out or think less of the horn section this music really does rock!

And I agree with you LedZeppelinFanForever that "Traffic in my Mind" is about the best song on "The Plan".

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer?" I hope all is well with you. In reference to the horn arrangements being removed from their Hard Rock songs, that is a very good point "BonzoLikeDrumer!" Someone else mentioned that in one of the comments on THE OSMONDS thread a while back. That is a very interesting point. The Horns kind of mellowed the Hard Rock sound a little. But despite that, their music still Rocked in many ways but I can really see your point of view.

As for the song "Traffic In my Mind," we both agree that this song truly rocks. As I stressed in one of my comments, the song "Gotta Get Love" from the BRAINSTORM album from 1976, rocks! These songs are a clear indication that THE OSMONDS were desperately trying to rid themselves of the Bubble Gum sound and reputation that the band got stuck with. ROCK ON!

This is a cool song. Santana-like. The one drummer looks like Bonzo too ('69 version).

How's it going "Wolfman?" Jay Osmond is without a doubt, the MOST UNDERRATED DRUMMER THAT EVER LIVED! JAY OSMOND IS A GREAT DRUMMER! JAY OSMOND should be ranked as one of the all-time greatest drummers ever. This guy can truly kick ass. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Wolfman?" Jay Osmond is without a doubt, the MOST UNDERRATED DRUMMER THAT EVER LIVED! JAY OSMOND IS A GREAT DRUMMER! JAY OSMOND should be ranked as one of the all-time greatest drummers ever. This guy can truly kick ass. ROCK ON!

The Bonzo-dude on the bongos is an Osmond?

The Bonzo-dude on the bongos is an Osmond?

How's it going "Wolfman?" As far as the guy playing Bongos, I do not know who he is but he is definitely not an Osmond. The guy dressed in white and playing the drums is Jay Osmond. The guy playing bongos did a very good job backing the band. ROCK ON!

Have to admit, the rest of them seemed out of time with the drummer to me, but that could have been the muddy recording.

How's it going "Aquamarine?" Long time no hear! I hope all is well with you. The muddy recording does not do the performance any justice at all. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Aquamarine?" Long time no hear! I hope all is well with you. The muddy recording does not do the performance any justice at all. ROCK ON!

Hi ZFF, everything fine here, I hope the same with you!

I'll take your word for it about the performance then, since I'm not exactly an Osmonds expert. :D

Hi ZFF, everything fine here, I hope the same with you!

I'll take your word for it about the performance then, since I'm not exactly an Osmonds expert. :D

How's it going "Aquamarine?" I wouldn't call myself an expert either but seeing that I grew up around that time and I dated many girls that were OSMOND fanatics, I would kind of consider myself somewhat of an authority on THE OSMONDS. Ha Ha! ROCK ON!

Now that song (Hold Her Tight) has a big "Immigrant Song" feel to it for sure! And it gave Donny a part to put in his usual "off the wall" (not meaning bad but different) composition's.

And that one close up of Wane does look a bit like Jimmy Page!

I'm not sure who the back up musician's are.

Now that song (Hold Her Tight) has a big "Immigrant Song" feel to it for sure! And it gave Donny a part to put in his usual "off the wall" (not meaning bad but different) composition's.

And that one close up of Wane does look a bit like Jimmy Page!

I'm not sure who the back up musician's are.

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Its Thursday and the day before Friday, BITCHIN'! I hope the week has gone well for all of you so far. "BonzoLikeDrumer," "Hold Her Tight" does have an "Immigrant Song" feel to it doesn't it? I would have never believed it until someone pointed it out to me that Wayne Osmond does look a lot like Jimmy Page. It really is true! I'm still so blown away by it! ROCK ON!

A QUICK NOTE: Wayne not only looks like Jimmy Page, he is the Heavy Metal freak out of all THE OSMONDS as well as play a mean guitar. ROCK ON!

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Its Thursday and the day before Friday, BITCHIN'! I hope the week has gone well for all of you so far. "BonzoLikeDrumer," "Hold Her Tight" does have an "Immigrant Song" feel to it doesn't it? I would have never believed it until someone pointed it out to me that Wayne Osmond does look a lot like Jimmy Page. It really is true! I'm still so blown away by it! ROCK ON!

A QUICK NOTE: Wayne not only looks like Jimmy Page, he is the Heavy Metal freak out of all THE OSMONDS as well as play a mean guitar. ROCK ON!

And he also play's the Saxophone! Most likely did the lion's share of the horn arrangement's.

And he also play's the Saxophone! Most likely did the lion's share of the horn arrangement's.

How's it going "BonzoLikeDrumer?" Believe it or not, All of THE OSMONDS played all of the instruments (Trumphet, Saxophone, Guitar, Bango, Drums, Bass, Piano, etc...) consistently well. THE OSMONDS were known as a band that all members could all play each other's instruments consistently well as a way of backing each other up on stage. Donny can play a mean guitar when it comes down to it. Donny can also play Bango, Drums, Bass, Trumphet, Saxophone, Piano, etc... All of THE OSMOND BROTHERS are (And still) very talented. ROCK ON!

Archived