Tom Watson

danelectro59

Amidst all the recent deaths and troubling news of the world, it's great to see a story that makes you happy. Doesnt' matter if he wins, just the fact that a nearly 60 year old is leading a major golf tournament such as The British Open, is just amazing. I hope he holds on and makes history because he is truly one of the world's great sportsmen still competing. After watching Tiger Woods' childish tirades, i've lost some respect for him.

Dittos.

I don't watch much golf on TV.Usually the last round of a Major.

This is fun to watch for sure.

Tom Watson seems to to be a gentleman in the pure sense of the word.

:beer: I've never seen an angry, obnoxious Tom Watson - sure, he must get disappointed when he plays badly, but like Jack Nicklaus, he takes it on the chin, and just gets on with it.

In fact I want Tom to win the tournament as much as I do for one the English players like Lee Westwood.

And Tom has just birdied :thumbsup:

Its a difficult one, I remember seeing Watson win here back IN 1977 on tv, its great to see him do well, but with an englishman leading I have to go with Westwood to win because it will so good for us, but if he doesn't then yes it would be cool to see an ambassadoof the sport create history.

What a sports story this will be should Watson win this. Playoff time as we speak. C'mon Tom Watson :)

This even intrigues me enough that I turned it on. For about 2 minutes, at which point I realized I can't watch golf :)

Still, I'm rooting for him!

This even intrigues me enough that I turned it on. For about 2 minutes, at which point I realized I can't watch golf :)

Still, I'm rooting for him!

It's that kind of story ! Sadly, he didn't win but he did prove to some of us that there is still a bit of class involved in sport. Well done to Stewart Cink for a fine victory

He is so awesome - great game, great story, even if he didn't win. I'm pretty bummed that he didn't, even though I'm trying to look on the bright side...it always seems like the golf gods change their mind at the last second (I'm a Phil Mickelson fan, so I know how that goes). Still, I'll remember this for years. You rock, Tom!

:( he just ran out of steam. It was one hole too far. you suspected that when he missed that last put on the 18th, it was drifting away.

still, he gave it what he had, and even at the end, kept smiling and showed none of the brattish temperament that certain other 'superstars' are full of. :)

Slightly OT, but what amazed me was Gary Player's run at the Open for decades. He's in his seventies and just retired from the tour (I think, in any case, he won't be at the Open any longer). That's not to take anything away from Watson's feat, it is inspiring regardless of the result.

Archived