Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath

lzzoso

I'd forgotten all about this..the story appears in Chris Charlesworths 1984 book "Slade ,Feel the Noize!"

The details are a little sketchy but it was supposed to have happened in the early part of March 1975 in Dallas..both groups were in town and LZ went to see Slade and threw banana skins on stage from the wings.

Later the same evening Slade went to a party at LZs hotel..during the course of the evening John Bonham took exception to Jim Lea saying he wanted Slade to be as big in the States as LZ or the Stones..JB took exception to this and went fo Lea with a cane..no damage was done but Jim Lea says he never spoke to Bonam again..Noddy Holder said it was forgotten by the next day and he was still friendly with them.

Sounds like any night in any Black Country pub to me.

Hope this is of some help.

I'd forgotten all about this..the story appears in Chris Charlesworths 1984 book "Slade ,Feel the Noize!"

The details are a little sketchy but it was supposed to have happened in the early part of March 1975 in Dallas..both groups were in town and LZ went to see Slade and threw banana skins on stage from the wings.

Later the same evening Slade went to a party at LZs hotel..during the course of the evening John Bonham took exception to Jim Lea saying he wanted Slade to be as big in the States as LZ or the Stones..JB took exception to this and went fo Lea with a cane..no damage was done but Jim Lea says he never spoke to Bonam again..Noddy Holder said it was forgotten by the next day and he was still friendly with them.

Sounds like any night in any Black Country pub to me.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks!

Led Zeppelin were flown into Dallas aboard The Starship following their New Orleans concert, so they would have landed in Dallas in the early morning hours of Sat, Mar

1st. They played Ft. Worth (3rd) and two nights in Dallas (4th & 5th) before flying

to Los Angeles (10th) so quite a few opportunities for hijinks with Slade during this

time. Perhaps the date of the Slade gig can more easily be confirmed now.

Why did this Sabbath - Zeppelin thread turn into a Slade topic????

The story of vegetables being thrown at band onstage by Bonham/Plant blurred from whether it was Black Sabbath or in fact Slade. Then it just kinda slid Sladewise! :lol:

Robert's or Zeps opinion of Black Sabbath's music is one thing...whether they personally got on is another.

I was lucky enough to be talking to Robert in 1983 prior to a gig in manchester (UK) when his aide came up and said Bill Ward had just rung him and would he call back.....there was no hint of "Bill who?" or anything like that. seemed they knew each other well.

I once read that Robert and Bonzo used to mock both Black Sabbath and Deep Purple by calling them "Deep Sabbath"

When Robert first ventured back on stage after the demise of Zeppelin it was the Honeydrippers 1981 UK small pub/club tour. He did remark during one show...you may be wondering why I'm here and so on....why haven't I joined supergroups like Deep Sabbath !

To me, at the time, and now, it was more a comment on "supergroups" and the media fascination with 'he's a big star so he must join another BIG group that have a vacancy. Not a comment on the personal members of those bands.

Robert is often cited as hating heavy metal....but I think those comments were his annoyance at Zeppelin being classified "just" as heavy metal.

As for Bonzo...he would mock anything.

Since this is Sabbath/Zeppelin related chit chat..I have a question for the higher-order.

Is there any documentation of Ronnie James Dio (Sabbath's second vocalist) ever commenting positive on anything referenced to Zeppelin. I'd be curious to know what he thought of Zep and likewise- if any Zeppelin member are aware of him in a respectful manner...?

I know Elf (Dio's band before Rainbow) did a cover of Black Dog, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdRijZUNMY

Judas Priest opened for them in Oakland if I'm not mistaken.

Back to Sabbath/Zeppelin, I think I remember Plant telling a story somewhere about how he and Bonham would go to Sabbath shows just to taunt the band and say how much they sucked, I'll try and find the exact interview right after I post.

Yes Preist did open for both shows

Since this is Sabbath/Zeppelin related chit chat..I have a question for the higher-order.

Is there any documentation of Ronnie James Dio (Sabbath's second vocalist) ever commenting positive on anything referenced to Zeppelin. I'd be curious to know what he thought of Zep and likewise- if any Zeppelin member are aware of him in a respectful manner...?

I know Elf (Dio's band before Rainbow) did a cover of Black Dog, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdRijZUNMY

According to Tony Iommi's book, Bonzo was certainly aware of Ronnie James Dio, but not in a very respectful manner.

Do you have any to this?

I just have a very vague memory about this. Bonzo is much closer to Ozzy than to Dio, understandably. So after a Black Sabbath gig Bonzo went to backstage and congratulated Tony that he found such a fine singer who could sing so well... though it was such a pity he was soooo short. Bonzo kept talking about Dio's height while the object himself was actually standing beside them, and of course Dio was not very happy about this.

Uh sorry I haven't got a link for this.

I just have a very vague memory about this. Bonzo is much closer to Ozzy than to Dio, understandably. So after a Black Sabbath gig Bonzo went to backstage and congratulated Tony that he found such a fine singer who could sing so well... though it was such a pity he was soooo short. Bonzo kept talking about Dio's height while the object himself was actually standing beside them, and of course Dio was not very happy about this.

Yeah, that's cool..thanks for that. I just wanted to know if the respect was there - musically.

Do you remember what book this is in reference too?

Of all the interviews I've read and heard from Zep and Dio, I never once heard them mention one another..I'm also a big fan of Dio. HE's predictable in his writing but the guy can sing...I think he's one of the best. I really love the work he did with Sabbath just as equally as with Ozzy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd kill to hear these "tapes" Iommi has

:angry:

I would also love to hear these recordings of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath jamming together. I wonder if Jimmy remembers these jam sessions and what would He think if Tony Iommi ever released them in some way or another. I realize that this will never happen but these jams would be very important to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath fans around the globe, not to mention to the annals of Rock and Roll History.

Bonham congratulating Iommi that he found suuch a fine singer makes it sound like Bonham never heard of Dio before which would be pretty much impossible as Rainbow were very big at the time in England.

Archived